Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Necrothatcher posted:

I thought the fan video was great and hadn't seen it before, so fine by me.

I somehow did it again, here’s the Japanese version. Superbunnyhop points out that in Japanese ‘FOXDIE.... Je nai!’ sounds a lot punchier and just not awkward like ‘FOXDIE.... think again!’ In English. And it’s just funny comparing the two. But I didn’t even watch the other video I accidentally posted, but now I will haha thank you for the tip.
https://youtu.be/V6T7UsL1ifY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-leaked.193173/

i'd link directly to the videos but i dont wanna have open video spoilers and this drat site keeps auto parsing it into video.

This is "leaked" footage from back in an italian E3 demo showing in october. Old.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

If it didn't have the invincibility shield I'd probably find it to be one of the funner fights in the game. Also ice materia is irredeemable poo poo. so cool how it takes 4 full seconds to do any damage, which seems like plenty of time for it to put up it's shield or jump out of the way. It's so bad compared to fire.

Could you turn the difficulty down for just that one section? I can’t remember if you can turn it up and down at will.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched some of that Cyberpunk stuff and there is absolutely nothing in there anyone would care about seeing it's bits of random missions and it's not even in english. I'd say the biggest thing about it is a reality check that it just looks like a normal game and not some brain melting step into the future of gaming like people are hyping up in their heads. The environments are a little disappointing tbh

Escobarbarian posted:

Could you turn the difficulty down for just that one section? I can’t remember if you can turn it up and down at will.

I think so. I am way too stubborn to do that though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think that was inevitable once they announced it was gonna be for this gen of systems.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

If it didn't have the invincibility shield I'd probably find it to be one of the funner fights in the game. Also ice materia is irredeemable poo poo. so cool how it takes 4 full seconds to do any damage, which seems like plenty of time for it to put up it's shield or jump out of the way. It's so bad compared to fire.

You have to hit it’s arms, or spend that time casting Manawall and sorting your poo poo out and generally just prepare for it’s dumb dive bomb attack (I used the revival earrings for something similar or if you have manawall and magnify, cast that when it goes into its flying phase), because at least it seemed like, for me at least, that was the one thing that could one shot you. If it’s got it’s shield up, and you’re desperate for ATB, try to hit it’s arms or switch to Aerith and build up ATB with either her regular attack or the heavy attack and don’t use offensive magic. Also blocking or going into punisher mode and holding block (which I found out way too late is just a good idea to do in general as you’ll counter attack automatically if you get attacked while blocking in punished mode) will fill your gauge faster. I’m sure you know but once you’ve assessed something you can press the touch pad and see it’s current weakness, if you’re like me an panicked and forgot what one or two of the colors indicated it was weak to. Also yeah, blizzard is hard to use, but similarly if an enemy casts it on you and you’re not staggered and can move, you can simply roll away from it before it explodes and take 0 damage, so you just have to use it when you’re certain the enemy won’t move. I thought this sucked too at first but now that I’m on ng+ on hard mode I don’t hate it, fire and lightning basically hit every time, and aero has a delay because it also closes the distance between you and the enemy, and blizzard is usually viable and not that difficult to land on the enemies that are weak to ice.

I always assumed Cyberpunk would be basically just like The Witcher 3 or GTA 5 but with a neon futuristic city and didn’t understand why people thought it would be more than that, like the pre rendered trailer is impressive, and of course it would be cool if the game was anything like that, visually, but yeah I personally just also don’t like that genre of game. Still though, not sure why people expected something vastly different to any other big budget game with a similar setting and genre (or I mean, a metropolis setting), and assumed the augmentation stuff and whatever futuristic technologies would set it apart but also not be that ground breaking, but who knows, it could be. And also I totally called Cyberpunk leaking like right after mods handled the TLOU stuff, but I predicted a racist guy would come and leak it and i guess maybe it didn’t even leak so maybe I didn’t call it. But if anything did leak that’s pretty wild.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 28, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Vikar Jerome posted:

finally beat death stranding holy poo poo that end run is incredible. beautiful ending. beautiful, beautiful game.

but lol i totally called cliff being sams dad back in chapter 3 and then during the inauguration i thought for drat sure kojima had finally learnt some kind of restraint because all the hints and quick flashbacks had been enough but lmao chapter 14. never change kojima, never change. also, when i heard the ending was very mgs4 i just thought long cutscenes, not an actual gun to head fakeout again hahaha

still, whole thing brought a smile to my face.

cant wait to see what kojima pulls off on ps5, all the actors throughout the game, mads and that late game die-hardman performances, like hooooly poo poo next gen kojima is gonna be insane.

also really, really started to crave a mads mikkelsen Snatcher game after seeing him in that coat with gun. gently caress konami.

i'm only confused on one story element with how the death stranding happened, during the beach bit amelie seem to imply it was resurrecting baby sam that did it but i guess i misread that, because in the big mads flashback, a voidout already happened?

Death Stranding mega spoilers Amelie resurrecting baby Sam created re-patriots, but the death stranding had already happened by that point. The death stranding (BTs showing up when people die and the appearance of chiralium) seems to be a natural phenomenon that occurs every so often to wipe out life. The d.s. is helped along by the appearance of an extinction entity (a randomly chosen life form that ends up with a strong connection to the beach). BTs can use the e.e.’s beach to appear in larger numbers. Amelie is the first e.e. that is an intelligent, self-aware life-form.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah the only way I beat the Hellhouse was by judicious use of Barrier and Manawall. Every buff spell in FF& is worth using in big fights, and speccing into Buff Duration is also good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is "leaked" footage from back in an italian E3 demo showing in october. Old.

had a feeling it was, ah well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pulcinella posted:

Death Stranding mega spoilers Amelie resurrecting baby Sam created re-patriots, but the death stranding had already happened by that point. The death stranding (BTs showing up when people die and the appearance of chiralium) seems to be a natural phenomenon that occurs every so often to wipe out life. The d.s. is helped along by the appearance of an extinction entity (a randomly chosen life form that ends up with a strong connection to the beach). BTs can use the e.e.’s beach to appear in larger numbers. Amelie is the first e.e. that is an intelligent, self-aware life-form.

are we sure about that last bit because i thought the 5 figures hovering in the air where the last 5 E.E's

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
havin a real hard time picking between death stranding or mh iceborn with the spring sale

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

are we sure about that last bit because i thought the 5 figures hovering the air where the last 5 E.E's

those five figures were sam's DOOMS giving him a vision of the five allies he would make over the course of his journey (heartman, deadman, die-hardman, mama/lockne and fragile)

hence why they re-appear when sam is being led out of the Beach in the ending

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

those five figures were sam's DOOMS giving him a vision of the five allies he would make over the course of his journey (heartman, deadman, die-hardman, mama/lockne and fragile)

hence why they re-appear when sam is being led out of the Beach in the ending

i thought that too but they show up in the cave at the start. i guess its possible

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Nioh 2 is an odd duck. After a personal triumph of learning to beat the second boss which I found extremely hard to deal with, the diablo-esque loot vomit of the game and easy levelling has made this more of a power fantasy than I expected. I think I’m still having fun, but I’m yearning for the wide open lonely multipath exploration of Dark Souls, Metroid, or Zelda games.

What other games best capture the exploration part of the soulslike/metroidvania experience? It seems like most of the pretenders to the From Throne focus on the combat and boss part.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Robo Reagan posted:

havin a real hard time picking between death stranding or mh iceborn with the spring sale

If you have friends to play Iceborne with, yeah, it’s worth it, but I feel like if you have to consider it then it’s not for you really. I only played about 10 hours and would love to play more but then a ton of great games came out right after like Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Death Stranding, Control, etc.. but I’d say Death Stranding.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

doingitwrong posted:

Nioh 2 is an odd duck. After a personal triumph of learning to beat the second boss which I found extremely hard to deal with, the diablo-esque loot vomit of the game and easy levelling has made this more of a power fantasy than I expected. I think I’m still having fun, but I’m yearning for the wide open lonely multipath exploration of Dark Souls, Metroid, or Zelda games.

What other games best capture the exploration part of the soulslike/metroidvania experience? It seems like most of the pretenders to the From Throne focus on the combat and boss part.

Metroidvania games are the closest you're going to get. I liked Hollow Knight.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

If you have friends to play Iceborne with, yeah, it’s worth it, but I feel like if you have to consider it then it’s not for you really.

A friend convinced me to play this. We've never been able to connect at the same time. Any time I try to play solo I fall asleep. Definitely not for me.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

are we sure about that last bit because i thought the 5 figures hovering in the air where the last 5 E.E's

There's a cutscene at Heartman's place where he explains that the last 5 EEs were a trilobite, mastodon, neanderthal, etc. Those are the fossils that are perfectly preserved and have bizarre umbilical cords on them. Amelie is the first human EE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got that drat hell house. I guess it was actually only 3 tries but it felt like way more cause the fight was so long.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

There's a cutscene at Heartman's place where he explains that the last 5 EEs were a trilobyte, mastadon, neanderthal, etc. Those are the fossils that are perfectly preserved and have bizarre umbilical cords on them. Amelie is the first human EE

ahh right. did that bit months ago lol. i remember now. interesting, so the 5 figures really are the connections? i was so sure pre-release that the 5 figures and the giant half headless ones would some kind of god/death type beings controlling space and time or some weird trying to out-kojima kojima. actually kinda glad it is what it is, feels real nice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metro Exodus, Hollow Knight, Resident Evil 7 or Remake 2, Death Stranding

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If Metroidvainia exploration is something you're after, check our Journey to the Savage planet. I got it on sale and it's fun'

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got that drat hell house. I guess it was actually only 3 tries but it felt like way more cause the fight was so long.

Lmao same, like I think of it as the hardest fight but it’s just because it takes so long. Reno and I don’t know if you’ve gotten to that bit yet, but it’s a similar fight in that part of the game, but both killed me two or three times and are both probably way harder but just aren’t nearly as long so they don’t seem as hard. The hell house is just not a good fight, but it gets away with it because of how over the top it is and how they turned a regular enemy from the original into a spectacle of a fight.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

doingitwrong posted:

Hollow Knight is the first thing that comes to mind (and it is one of my favorite games). Though if you're a metroidvania fan you might have already played it.

Ashen is also a really cool Souls-like with some really neat dungeons, but don't go into it expecting a AAA game. It doesn't slavishly follow the Dark Souls formula.

Hyperlight Drifter is really good and borrows a bit from Zelda and Dark Souls. Very heavy on combat and exploration. I enjoyed it a lot.

RE2 remake oddly scratches the Metroidvania itch, too. It's really good if you haven't played it. RE3 remake is a little disappointing in comparison.

Immersive sims like Prey also come to mind.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

I did it on the first try but I wish I'd died because I didn't quite grok the gimmick and I spent 45 minutes and a bunch of healing items the first time through. Fuckin hell house, man.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Metroidvainia exploration is something you're after, check our Journey to the Savage planet. I got it on sale and it's fun'

Seconded, it's a solid love letter to Metroid Prime. I had a good time with it. Although it has a much goofier tone than your typical metroidvania. On the other hand...

il serpente cosmico posted:

Immersive sims like Prey also come to mind.

Prey isn't a metroidvania, more in the System Shock mold, but it's definitely a game about exploring a big creepy space station by your lonesome. The combat isn't good but the exploration and mood are perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Savage Planet is still on sale. I need to grab that.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
A small moment I remembered well from Prey - I was in a room that had some loot behind a large, immovable object. I was bummed because I couldn't move the object since I hadn't invested in the ability to lift heavy poo poo. I hadn't used the Recycling Charges much, but on a whim I used one to see if it'd suck up whatever was in my way so I could get the loot. To my surprise, it actually worked.

Most games want you to do things in a such a specific way with such limited verbiage, it felt really refreshing to have a game accommodate creative solutions like this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

A small moment I remembered well from Prey - I was in a room that had some loot behind a large, immovable object. I was bummed because I couldn't move the object since I hadn't invested in the ability to lift heavy poo poo. I hadn't used the Recycling Charges much, but on a whim I used one to see if it'd suck up whatever was in my way so I could get the loot. To my surprise, it actually worked.

Most games want you to do things in a such a specific way with such limited verbiage, it felt really refreshing to have a game accommodate creative solutions like this.

It's things like that that put it a step above of the likes of the modern Deus Ex's despite being arguably less polished/enjoyable to play.
It's a shame it'll never get a proper sequel and the team that made it dissolved

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Youtube spoilers are really insidious, if you've even looked up anything remotely related to a game within a few weeks of when it comes out you'll get a recommended feed full of spoilerific titles within minutes of release.

This is why I break google, twitter, etc with uMatrix and uBlock and self select what can even be displayed in my browser window. gently caress these companies, and gently caress trying to reason with their algorithms.

veni veni veni posted:

Even knowing the gimmick I think Hell House has near killed my interest in the FF7. it was already waning and this just feels like the last nail in the coffin.

It takes all kinds, I guess. Maybe I just love loving around with materia slotting more than most. That said, the game might not be for you if you don't enjoy the rpg mechanics and menu nuances, because there are a number of bosses that are harder than Hellhouse, which I thought was pretty drat fun.

Imhotep posted:

If you have friends to play Iceborne with, yeah, it’s worth it, but I feel like if you have to consider it then it’s not for you really. I only played about 10 hours and would love to play more but then a ton of great games came out right after like Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Death Stranding, Control, etc.. but I’d say Death Stranding.

I think you and I just need to throw down our own squad and start putting in the mon time on a regular basis.

doingitwrong posted:

Control.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I gave Doom (2016) another chance. Console controls aren't as bad as I originally thought and I'm having fun, but only after turning the difficulty way down. I can't imagine doing all the insane acrobatic combat someone else was showing video of a couple weeks back in Eternal- let alone dealing with all the new weapons and mobility stuff- but I am liking this first one, finally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mysterious frankie posted:

I gave Doom (2016) another chance. Console controls aren't as bad as I originally thought and I'm having fun, but only after turning the difficulty way down. I can't imagine doing all the insane acrobatic combat someone else was showing video of a couple weeks back in Eternal- let alone dealing with all the new weapons and mobility stuff- but I am liking this first one, finally.
I liked D2016 but I really did not like the two big boss fights in the game. For whatever reason I had to retry those a ton, especially the final boss.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked D2016 but I really did not like the two big boss fights in the game. For whatever reason I had to retry those a ton, especially the final boss.

I liked Cyber Demon just fine. I think every other boss fight in both recent Doom games sucks big time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played DOOM on PC and really enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd have had so much fun on PS4. On the other hand idk what kind of wizardry went into developing the controls for Titanfall 2 but that was just so great from a controls perspective. It felt great to play.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JBP posted:

I played DOOM on PC and really enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd have had so much fun on PS4. On the other hand idk what kind of wizardry went into developing the controls for Titanfall 2 but that was just so great from a controls perspective. It felt great to play.

Titanfall 2 really was a miracle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

Titanfall 2 really was a miracle.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think you and I just need to throw down our own squad and start putting in the mon time on a regular basis.

I’m actually down now that I don’t have anything else on my backlog really, around the time it came out I was actually excited about playing it with you but then none of my other friends got it and also like every good game that came out last year came out right after, (besides Sekiro which came out 6 months before but I was still playing it repeatedly). But that sounds so good rn, I need to reinstall it and get used to the new monsters and levels.

Edit: although I did impulse buy Journey to the Savage Planet and wanna play it, also a game that I need to convince a friend to get while it’s on sale. I really wish there were more co op games like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, I mean Nioh 2 just came out and is great but it’s a hard game to recommend, even to people who like, but maybe aren’t necessarily obsessed with Souls games.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay I'm done with the main game of Spider-Man and on to the dlc, but what is the best way to deal with the fat guys? They have been my bane through pretty much the whole game and seem even worse in the dlc. What's the easy way to deal with them gadget wise? Sometimes I just get annoyed and pop quad damage but they are seriously the worst and if you get hit twice they can chunk you down to 1/3 health.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm kinda getting fed up with Bloodstained. I thought it was going to be Symphony of the Night pikr, but it's actually a Order of Eclessia but grindier. The game wants you to grind hard but it's neither interesting or rewarding. A lot of is literally constantly revisiting old areas to open respawning treasure chssts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrNutt posted:

Okay I'm done with the main game of Spider-Man and on to the dlc, but what is the best way to deal with the fat guys? They have been my bane through pretty much the whole game and seem even worse in the dlc. What's the easy way to deal with them gadget wise? Sometimes I just get annoyed and pop quad damage but they are seriously the worst and if you get hit twice they can chunk you down to 1/3 health.

Web them up using whatever webber of choice, web bombs or just the usual quick shot usually does the trick, and hold triangle to either chuck them into other dudes or into a wall. If they’re webbed up and smack into something they get stuck to it for an instant knockout.