Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha that's pretty impressive. Bet it woke you up pretty quick.

My father in law broke his lawnmower out from storage which is on a gravel strip next to his house. He was having a hard time pushing it due to the loose gravel, so he thought "I'll start it and use the self propulsion" :downs:

Needless to say, I took his blade to get sharpened last week. Wasn't a big deal as I get mine sharpened every 2 years or so anyhow, just :lol: at firing it up on a loose gravel strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I clunked into a rock once while mowing the grass, blade broke clean in half and went flying two ways. One happened to be right into the tip of my boot. Gouged it good, but I was wearing steel toes so that was all it did. Surprised the poo poo out of me, tho.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Previa_fun posted:

Not "horrible" by any means but a fun example of F=ma. I got a bit too brave trimming around a steel drainage pipe with a push mower instead of a proper trimmer and set the blade down on the pipe. Engine stopped instantly.

Did that a few years ago on the metal pipe the house water valve is in. Bent the hell out of the blade, shot the spark plug across the yard and I think cracked the crank because it failed a couple weeks later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a drainage pipe under my driveway that looks like a previous resident took several passes over it with their lawnmower. It is well and truly hosed up.

We're a corner lot and there's two steel valves hidden in the grass, first summer we lived here I clobbered them a couple times. I eventually learned I don't give a gently caress if my lawn looks like a golf green so I set the cut height above both and stopped worrying about them.

Mower blade has a couple nicks but is otherwise working fine, still cutting grass three years later. :iiam:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at first I thought this was just a photoshop, but that would be some really fantastic shading work making it look like it's wrapped around the bodywork, so i suspect it's real

hope the weather's not too warm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That would be a great joke if it were in, like, Fairbanks

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bout 7 years ago I hit a stump with our tractor and slasher at work. Wouldnt be a big deal except the tractor has 105hp at the PTO and the slasher is an 8' extreme duty twin disk- Runs 4x 1/2" thick, foot or so long, boron steel blades on a pair of spreader bars. Whole slasher weighs north of 2 Tonnes.

It stopped the tractor dead from 2300rpm.

For reference, thats a 2" diameter 4140 steel shaft coming out of that gearbox...

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Is that, twisted? Holy poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lou Takki posted:

Is that, twisted? Holy poo poo

My first reaction was, "Wow, that's a weird looking end mill. That mill is seriously filthy, too. And... oh."

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Obvious solution is to do it again in reverse.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's my lawnmower lesson: don't use one barefoot.

Lucky for me, all I had done was fall off a horse and suffer a minor (three stitches) scalp wound. But the poor son of a bitch in the other half of the OR was screaming bloody murder. That happened in 1972 and somehow those brain cells survived every drink and every toke since. I never did find out how much of his foot the other kid kept.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Did woundcare on a guy with his foot split in half from between the first and second toe, to nearly the tibia, via lawnmower. He ended up losing the foot. He was wearing shoes, never did get a full story on what exactly transpired.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A guy at dinner ages ago regaled us with his story of losing half a foot while mowing. He was wearing flip flops and everyone always rags on him for not wearing the right footwear but a mower blade would go through a shoe or a boot just the same.

I bet he wouldn't have slipped on the side hill in real shoes though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adding this to "tiny lawn" and "gently caress winterizing" to my list of reasons for using a manual mower instead of a gas one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LifeSunDeath posted:

Did woundcare on a guy with his foot split in half from between the first and second toe, to nearly the tibia, via lawnmower. He ended up losing the foot. He was wearing shoes, never did get a full story on what exactly transpired.

Could you imagine trying to wear a flip flop if it was permanently split like that?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Could you imagine trying to wear a flip flop if it was permanently split like that?

My foot just flinched

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I knew a guy that lost some toes that way, he was mowing down a hill, slipped and his foot went right under.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was going to tell the story, but then decided against it, but apparently, kicking lawn mowers is a theme now.

I was mowing that little strip between the sidewalk and the curb at my father's office, but it's kind of hump shaped so that the mower would sort of high center on it. My solution to the mower getting stuck was to kick the back of it to sort of nudge it along.

I got away with it for a long time, but then one day I must have clipped the back of my heel with the foot I was using to kick, my weight went forward on to the bar, the mower deck tilted up because the front was stuck, and my foot went under the mower. I heard a loud CLANG, my foot was forcefully moved, and the mower stopped.

My very first instinct was to restart the mower and get back to work, but when I put my foot back down, I noticed it felt kind of numb, and tingly, like it was asleep. I looked down at the ground, and blood was pooling out of the front of my shoe onto the sidewalk.

I said to myself, "Ohhh shiiiiit", and I kind of hobbled my way up the ramp to the back door of my father's office.

"Dad, we need to go to the hospital, I kicked the lawn mower."

(absently) "You shouldn't do that boy, you might hurt yourself."

"Yes Dad, I know. My foot is bleeding really badly and we need to go to the hospital."

"What!?" (suddenly aware of the magnitude of the situation) "OH gently caress GET-IN-THE-CAR-NOW. [COWORKER] I'M LEAVING I'LL CALL YOU LATER."

Somehow, I had gotten magnificently ridiculously incredibly lucky, and my foot had kind of tucked into the perimeter of the mower deck. The blade, which I had freshly sharpened over the weekend to prep for my monthly lawn mowing rotation, had chopped neatly about a third of the way through the sole of my Nikes, and had taken a ragged chunk out of the fleshy bit on the bottom of the last joint of the first two toes on my right foot.

No broken bones, not even any stitches, just a shitton of gauze and no running or swimming allowed for two weeks.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

I have also hosed up my left ring finger with a mower blade. My grandfather had the battery in his John Deere die, so I went down there and jumped it off. He also wanted the blades sharpened. So, letting the engine run, I disconnected the mower deck and started to pull it out... by grabbing the inside of the deck.

However, I had forgotten to disengage the belt from the crank pulley, so when I started pulling the mower deck out, the belt tensioned, and the blades spun up. Took a nice chunk off the finger tip and hosed up the nail bed pretty good too.

TL;DR I don't have a loving clue how I made it out of my teens with most of my flesh still attached and functional. I have eventually learned not to gently caress with noisy poo poo with high inertia, and I'm not even seriously disfigured!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 27, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Mechanical Failures: I'm not even seriously disfigured!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beach Bum posted:

I'm not even seriously disfigured!

King of the Goons!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

TotalLossBrain posted:

King of the Goons!

Yes but did he poo poo his pants? :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Bout 7 years ago I hit a stump with our tractor and slasher at work. Wouldnt be a big deal except the tractor has 105hp at the PTO and the slasher is an 8' extreme duty twin disk- Runs 4x 1/2" thick, foot or so long, boron steel blades on a pair of spreader bars. Whole slasher weighs north of 2 Tonnes.

It stopped the tractor dead from 2300rpm.

For reference, thats a 2" diameter 4140 steel shaft coming out of that gearbox...

And this is why shaft couplings are A Thing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EasilyConfused posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Mechanical Failures: I'm not even seriously disfigured!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS! Requesting thread title change :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Lost fingat at hostpital post mote later?

I'm so glad I've never had a run-in with a mower.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist
Why is any part of a toilet, a place which is guaranteed to be wet 24 hours a day, made of any sort of ferrous metal?

Is it just calculated to not rust through in the length of the warranty or something?

On the other hand it made me get around to stopping it from making a noise like a fog horn whenever it's refilling with water after a flush.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Probably need to get a more expensive toilet to not have it be made with the cheapest materials.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

All I’m saying is I work in trauma surgery and you guys are lucky to have all your poo poo relatively intact...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

taqueso posted:

Probably need to get a more expensive toilet to not have it be made with the cheapest materials.

Cheaper materials may also be fine here - plastic isn't fantastic, but I can't say I've seen an a plastic pushbutton toilet rust.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

taqueso posted:

It's my landlord's toilet, I'm just fixing it because I don't want to have to deal a plumber coming into the house whilst I'm in isolation.

I might have a cavalier attitude towards spinning lumps of metal, but I don't gently caress with viruses.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress, and I thought I was dangerous around moving (and sometimes non-moving) objects.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Y'all just reaffirming how glad I was to be wearing steel toes, gently caress.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Computer viking posted:

Cheaper materials may also be fine here - plastic isn't fantastic, but I can't say I've seen an a plastic pushbutton toilet rust.

You are right, plastic has totally changed the game regarding corrosion and cheapest material.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

taqueso posted:

You are right, plastic has totally changed the game regarding corrosion and cheapest material.

Yeah, it gets brittle and snaps (and always at night when you slap together a fix to get the drat thing to flush then forget about it until the fix wears out). poo poo still wears out, you just get to pick the material.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

xzzy posted:

Yeah, it gets brittle and snaps (and always at night when you slap together a fix to get the drat thing to flush then forget about it until the fix wears out). poo poo still wears out, you just get to pick the material.

Sooo you getcha some of that PA-66 glass fiber reinforced 30%, stiff as a wedding prick and skookum as frig in this application

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Glad this is the first thing I woke up to read before going out to mow lawns for 10 hours

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

shame on an IGA posted:

And this is why shaft couplings are A Thing

In a normal application I'd say hell yes, but the usage case of this thing is pretty unique and it throws up some serious problems to overcome.

Firstly, counter rotating, overlapping blades (so you get a full cut) means you must have them mechanically timed or they'll go out of phase and smash into each other which is NOT healthy for the blades, their mounting hardware or the lower gearbox bearings. This means you cant use any kind of slip/ button clutch or any other form of clutch connector or a belt drive.

Secondly, the usage of this machine is properly hard core, and its built properly hard core too. Normally a slasher behind a tractor is mowing down grassy paddocks, parks, things like that. 90% grass, occasional stick, maybe a small rock or two.

This thing is used to slash fire track edges in National parks. We literally drive in the bush down each side of the track going over EVERYTHING, hence why its so massively overbuilt- 300hp rated centre gearbox, 250hp side boxes, its got a 10mm thick deck, half inch side plates, 3/4" thick 3 point mounting plates, double shear EVERYTHING, its huge, its heavy and its designed to gently caress poo poo up. Run over a 6" log? Bit of banging and crashing and wood chips and chunks fire out the sides. Hit a rock the size of a soccer ball? Big bang and you've got gravel. Hit a rabbit? Red explosion. This also means that shear bolts dont really work either- Our older slasher runs shear bolts and its an absolute infuriating balancing act between the PTO clutch and the bolts - if you have your PTO clutch too tight, you go through shear bolts like an A10 goes through 30mm, have it loose enough to protect the shear bolts you fry the friction material in heavy cutting.

They're not small machines or small slashers and they get absolutely punished to hell and back.

The one we twisted the shaft on is on the blue New Holland.

So the only option we have left in terms of drive train protection is spring couplers between the inner box and the outer boxes, which have constantly failed because they just thrash the splines out of the castings due to the shudder they put in the drivetrain and have been replaced with rubber cush couplings, and the PTO clutch. Unfortunately we didnt know that when the slasher was serviced before that season the apprentice put the clutch back together with new friction disks with an impact gun. We dont think hooking it up to a 500hp tractor would have made that PTO clutch slip it was so drat tight.

Tho the sheer destructive capability of these big slashers is just amateur league compared to what the vertical arm flail mower can do to things. If you ever want to rip a 600mm long piece of a railway sleeper out of the ground and throw it 250m down a road, thats the tool for you!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

...I suddenly want to get a slasher and gently caress poo poo up

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Previa_fun posted:

Get one of these badboys, no grass is safe

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Its not all beer and skittles... This happens a LOT and it sucks.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get one of these badboys, no grass is safe

Nah, if you really want fun, get one of THESE and no TREE is safe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTA6ojnBsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8jaEJxbQU4

This gives you an idea of the kind of country I was working these machines in tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
great song choices