Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The real reason to use a dishwasher rather than handwashing is that hand washing wastes water.

Modern dishwashers use about 3.5 gallons per load; hand washing tends to use a lot more.

E: as an ADHD wigglebrains who gets the exact same “lazy” line any time I change my work methods to accommodate my bizarre focus hiccups, I’ve learned to retort with an accusation of “wasting time.” “Oh, you want me to hand wash my dishes? If you have time to hand wash the dishes, you have time to do something more important. That’s a little kid chore.”

elise the great fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serephina posted:

The goon who thinks handwashing dishes isn't hygienic has one of those amazing hangups that makes for great /r/relationships posts. I wonder if they contemplate the sterility of their hands when they take dishes out of the machine, or even their cupboard. Or maybe they try hard not to think of that, like a germaphobe attempting to cope?

Though I will also add that if you don't wash your hands before making and serving up dinner (including stuff like setting the table) then you are a seriously grody person.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SoftNum posted:

This is actually a problem with portable dishwashers too, also they tend not to have grinders and so you have to preclean everything worse than a normal dishwasher so practically I think OP shouldn't buy one but.

This is like super fake or some weird reflection thing or something isn't it? I refuse to believe someone would throw out a rice cooker because it's not cleaned immediately after use. ALso there's a pretty big implication here that the daughter is doing most of the cooking while working, and boomermom here isn't doing anything except begin a busybody?

It’s Reddit, so it’s fake, but also you should read the Rejected Parents thread.

Sunswipe posted:

I'd love to know if they're really sharing an apartment, or if it's more "daughter who has her poo poo together is allowing mother to live in her apartment."

It’s definitely the second one, because that mom would absolutely, positively, 100% say, “my daughter lives with me,” if it were anything else, including an equal split of the bills.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
learned from this thread that washing dishes is pointless so I'm going to stop bothering, thanks goons

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Since we're still on the topic of dish washing, here's a relevant Dear Prudence about the subject which i don't believe i posted previously.

Help! I’m Disgusted by My Girlfriend’s “Eco-Friendly” Method of Dishwashing.

quote:

Q. Family dish-turbance: When I met my girlfriend of two years, I knew she was a little eco-friendlier than I was, and I resolved to be more like her. Fast forward two years and her eco-friendliness has turned into a persistent conflict that we can’t seem to get past. “Ellie” will only wash dishes by hand, with recycled water (e.g., pouring water from one bowl into another over and over). She’ll let dishes pile up for a few days in the sink before beginning this process. I much prefer to put them in the dishwasher immediately—I have a weak stomach and the mixture of old smells makes me feel sick. Ellie gets upset with me when I do this. I grew up poor without a dishwasher; now that we have one, it’s incomprehensible to me that we wouldn’t use it. Ellie’s dishwashing method saves water, sure, but it leaves our kitchen a mess and causes a conflict every time we need to do dishes. I feel irrational for saying this, but is a vast difference in dishwashing styles a rationale for a breakup? We literally have no other conflicts other than this, and for some reason, we’ve both dug our heels in. Dishes will come up millions of times in our future life together. I just can’t see how we will ever come to an agreement.

quote:

A: Your girlfriend’s dishwashing strategy isn’t “eco-friendly.” Nor do I think the word washing can be correctly applied to “letting dishes stew in old, crusted-on food particles for several days, then giving them a gentle bath in the same water, over and over again.” It’s dangerous to her health and yours, and “saving water” at the expense of an E. coli outbreak is hardly an unqualified good. If you can, try showing her the kind of dishwashing instructions restaurants are required to comply with according to health regulations, or information about just how energy- and water-efficient modern dishwashers can be. It’s possible to safely and efficiently wash dishes by hand or by machine, but your girlfriend is doing neither: She’s slopping dirty water over dirty dishes and calling that “clean.” Whatever magical thinking she’s attached to this practice, there’s no justification for it, and it’s a danger to the health of your household. I hope you don’t break up over this. I hope you’re able to speak to a doctor about this, and/or a therapist, so that your girlfriend can get a sense of just how unsafe this practice is and possibly figure out why she feels so threatened at the prospect of using a dishwasher. But if you can’t make any progress, and you decide to break up with her as a result, I don’t think you’re being unreasonable or inflexible.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jabor posted:

Though I will also add that if you don't wash your hands before making and serving up dinner (including stuff like setting the table) then you are a seriously grody person.

For sure! But according to that guy, unless it's scaldingly hot water like what can be found in a dishwasher, then it's not hygienic.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Invisible Clergy posted:

This actually is a real problem with all motion detectors, like towel and soap dispensers. Due to the lack of dark-skinned people in STEM, machines like this are only tested on white-skinned devs, so they don't learn that they don't work properly on darker people, and once the thing's on the market don't bother to fix it.

But they're lovely for white people too, I'm sure.
See I understand how this happened with hand sensors but I always thought toilet sensors were aimed at your back and thus skin color wouldn't typically factor in. My mind is blown.

Also that's frustrating as hell, if it's a known problem it should be fixed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

RoboRodent posted:

Jesus. Ferret dead sleep is loving bizarre, but also why would you just dispose of someone else's dead pet without saying something?

(Also in many municipalities it's illegal to put dead animals in the trash, but, you know.)
Eh, I feel like sister probably panicked and didn't want OP to find a 'dead' ferret. That said, she absolutely hosed up and is very lucky Lola was fine.

I think it comes down to it's fine that OP is still upset and telling someone to just get over something because it wasn't malicious isn't very useful, but if OP is being spiteful to the sister (which wasn't mentioned in the post) then that should probably stop, since hopefully sister got scared enough she won't make this same mistake twice. If the mom is upset bc OP isn't acting like nothing happened, that's a different story.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for blocking my mother for installing hidden cameras in my car "out of concern"?

quote:

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, my brain is mush right now.

Last year my brother borrowed my car for something but I have now found out it was so he could install hidden cameras in it per my moms request so she could spy on me under the guise of checking up on me. I've been in a mild car accident, so that's her reasoning. "motherly concern" and all. I was not informed obviously.

Me and my partner went on a drive two days ago, pulled up to watch the stars as a "date" and cuddle/kiss or whatever and my mother started blowing up my phone (and the family gc) almost immediately. Turned off my phone because she does this a lot, ignored her until I got home, called her back and she blew up on me crying saying she didn't expect me to do such lewd things, why am I doing all this before marriage, I should just marry my partner if I "insist" on doing this to her.

I was understandably loving confused and started crying with her. For the sake of keeping this short, eventually she realised she hosed up by making a scene and had to admit about the cameras. She said she "happened to be looking" and that she saw/heard? us doing bad things and this isnt why she "allowed me to be gay" (im bi, my partner is a man). She's done weird, invasive stuff like this all my life (e.g. moved 5 blocks away from my current house in a different city after I finally moved away to be with my partner) but this is the worst and she's been relatively harmless (ish) before so I blew a gasket, blocked her and my brother. I was really secure in my decision but now I'm getting random family members texting me/calling me begging me to unblock her because she's gotten "extremely ill" and that it's really my fault for doing all that, I KNOW she's religious that's why she reacted badly to seeing (SOMETHING SHE HAD NO BUSINESS SEEING OR HEARING) so I don't get to be an rear end in a top hat. I feel mind hosed and am starting to second guess myself for blocking her (and half my family) She is my mother after all so I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat, but I don't know anymore. My partner is the only one on my side.

AITA?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

AITA for blocking my mother for installing hidden cameras in my car "out of concern"?

Jesus man run

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

PetraCore posted:

Eh, I feel like sister probably panicked and didn't want OP to find a 'dead' ferret. That said, she absolutely hosed up and is very lucky Lola was fine.

I think it comes down to it's fine that OP is still upset and telling someone to just get over something because it wasn't malicious isn't very useful, but if OP is being spiteful to the sister (which wasn't mentioned in the post) then that should probably stop, since hopefully sister got scared enough she won't make this same mistake twice. If the mom is upset bc OP isn't acting like nothing happened, that's a different story.

OP says she warned everyone in her family that ferrets do this, and that her sister hasn't apologised and is just mad at her for "making a scene".

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for publicly revealing who my biological parents are on Facebook and kind of messing things up for them?

quote:

I was given up for adoption when I was a baby by my parents who were 19 years old.

Due to reasons, I was taken from my adoptive parents and put in foster care when I was 11 and remained in the system until I went to college.

When I turned 18, I was given my mother's contact information by someone. I found out she was married to my biological father. They had public profiles on Facebook and Instagram. I ended up messaging my mother who never responded.

I then tried to message my father who basically replied saying that he's sorry but they would rather not have me in their lives. That it took them a while to grieve over giving me up and that they don't want to go through all that pain again.

Well at this point I got pretty pissed because I think it's kind of lovely they think they can prevent me from knowing the rest of my family.

I ended up messaging my grandmother (my mother's mom) who was actually happy to know me. I met her in person and we really bonded.

I also have two younger siblings but I didn't contact them after what my father said.

Well four months ago, I saw my father post of a picture of them at some Church event and say "my beautiful wife and our two amazing kids".

This was on their church Facebook page. This was probably wrong but I replied with a comment saying "Don't you mean three kids?"

I didn't really expect the amount of people responding to that as I did. There were a bunch of people my parents knew that started asking questions. I freaked out and deleted my comment.

Then I started getting dms from people, including people I was related to. Later that day, my grandmother made a post confirming I was a child given up for adoption.

So now, I started making connections with some extended family and have been to a few family parties. My parents have been told they aren't invited unless they accept me which they haven't.

The whole drama has kind of messed with their lives and business. My parents are now apparently separated. I don't really accept that as my fault.

AITA for doing what I did?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having the nickname 'untouchable', apparently culturally appropriating the name of a marginalized group?

quote:

I'm Indian-American, from New Jersey. I play soccer and am known to be pretty drat good. As a result, people have come up with a nickname for me: untouchable, as in nobody on the pitch can touch me-- I'm too fast, my ball-handling skills are too good. You get the idea. I can't say I wasn't proud of the nickname-- the fact people liked me, a high schooler, enough to be fans and give me a badass nickname really was flattering, so I encouraged it.

​As it happens to be (I just found out recently), there's a whole caste of Indian people known as untouchables for the exact opposite reason-- they're seen as dirty and thus not touched, and are marginalized. As it happens to be, my ancestors were a different caste who sat at the head of the caste system and lorded over the rest. I was informed of this by a girl who happened to be said marginalized caste, and she tells me it's 'cruelly ironic' how I come from the top of Indian society but have called myself the opposite. She also told me I should stop.

​I think she's making too much of a big deal about it-- it's incidental, with a completely different context and meaning. I shouldn't have to tell people to stop calling me what they want because of a coincidence.

​AITA?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Once I started wearing gloves to wash dishes it's hard to go back, but jeez. I hope you never eat out, because I've washed dishes in restaurants, and I wasn't even on enough drugs to give as much of a poo poo as the average employee apparently does.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ad090 posted:

AITA for publicly revealing who my biological parents are on Facebook and kind of messing things up for them?

Man it's weird to see a story where the family sides with the right person. God drat what a stupid excuse, "we cant let you into our lives because we were just so darn sad to lose you"

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Piell posted:

I'm pretty interested in knowing what kind of setup they installed that allows her to remotely view a camera installed in a car at any time and also small enough to not be noticed.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Danaru posted:

Man it's weird to see a story where the family sides with the right person. God drat what a stupid excuse, "we cant let you into our lives because we were just so darn sad to lose you"

I looked at the Reddit thread and strangely the comments are mostly on the side of the parents? Obviously the kid is acting out a bit, but gently caress those parents for burying their head in the sand about their own child.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SoftNum posted:

This is like super fake or some weird reflection thing or something isn't it? I refuse to believe someone would throw out a rice cooker because it's not cleaned immediately after use. ALso there's a pretty big implication here that the daughter is doing most of the cooking while working, and boomermom here isn't doing anything except begin a busybody?

What part of this do you have time believing? This is how boomers act.

Sunswipe posted:

I'd love to know if they're really sharing an apartment, or if it's more "daughter who has her poo poo together is allowing mother to live in her apartment."

It's definitely this.

ad090 posted:

Pretty sick own.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having the nickname 'untouchable', apparently culturally appropriating the name of a marginalized group?

Tell your white friend to gently caress off forever. You can't appropriate your own culture

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Tell your white friend to gently caress off forever. You can't appropriate your own culture

The person that told them was a Dalit lol

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Cyks posted:

I'm pretty interested in knowing what kind of setup they installed that allows her to remotely view a camera installed in a car at any time and also small enough to not be noticed.

Yeah I was thinking the story maybe doesn't pass the sniff test. Not saying the tech doesn't exist but that's a device with recording and transmission capability permanently wired into the cars power system AND not immediately obvious to the eye. Installation would involve taking out the dash and digging into the cars guts and electrical system, not just a "my brother borrowed the car and did it himself." There's a reason most creepy car stories involve the magnetic gps units, it's a lot simpler to install, utilize, and and keep charged since you're not burning much power just pinging gps.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2020

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Invisible Clergy posted:

If a proper hooray Henry started calling himself a chav I think people would definitely take the piss out of them a bit, seems like this is similar?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ad090 posted:

Wow. This person's biological parents are gutter trash. "I know that we gave you up as a child and made your existence hell, but it's just too sad to have you in our lives. Sorry." I hope they get run over by a truck together.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Eldred posted:

I looked at the Reddit thread and strangely the comments are mostly on the side of the parents? Obviously the kid is acting out a bit, but gently caress those parents for burying their head in the sand about their own child.

There were several posters who claim to have been given up for adoption who all said something to the effect of "Those people aren't your family. They have no obligation to have a relationship with you . YTA for lashing out at them in a way designed to cause as much pain as you could rather than constructively process your feelings and reaching out to other biological relations appropriately."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serephina posted:

The goon who thinks handwashing dishes isn't hygienic has one of those amazing hangups that makes for great /r/relationships posts. I wonder if they contemplate the sterility of their hands when they take dishes out of the machine, or even their cupboard. Or maybe they try hard not to think of that, like a germaphobe attempting to cope?

smdh if you don't have special latex gloves to wear for putting dishes away

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

25 and 19 passes the half plus seven rule, but really shouldn't.

There should be some kind of addendum to that, like “don’t start stuff with someone who’s in a different stage of their life”. Example: don’t start dating a college student if you’ve graduated and started working and all that. Yeah it’s not exactly creepy but it’s just asking for a lot of weird incompatibility issues. When I was 23 I went out with a college junior for a bit. She wasn’t that much younger than I was, but our priorities and lifestyle were so different it was a frustrating disaster after a few weeks.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Total Meatlove posted:

If a proper hooray Henry started calling himself a chav I think people would definitely take the piss out of them a bit, seems like this is similar?

People regularly insult Patrick Bamford, yes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Piell posted:

So, you just discovered you cannot trust literally anyone in your family, not even your own brother.

Time for a full :sever:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There should be some kind of addendum to that, like “don’t start stuff with someone who’s in a different stage of their life”.

The converse applies as well. If there is a vast age difference and they're at the same stage in life there's a big problem. A more common and less gross example being the college junior and the 28 year old townie who's never fully transitioned to the adult world.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Soylent Pudding posted:

There were several posters who claim to have been given up for adoption who all said something to the effect of "Those people aren't your family. They have no obligation to have a relationship with you . YTA for lashing out at them in a way designed to cause as much pain as you could rather than constructively process your feelings and reaching out to other biological relations appropriately."

Yeah I think it can be both. They were justified and I'll never say no to righteous retribution, but it also is not helping anyone. However I think the parents are still the villains here, it's not a problem they gave a kid up for adoption, and not a problem they had more kids (though you can understand how that would sting). But now that they're in a different place in their lives I think it's wrong to pretend this first kid doesn't exist and acknowledge their own past, especially because their reasons clearly seem to be due to this personal narrative and public face they've clearly created for themselves, which blew up when their social circle discovered it. That ends up preventing the op from actually being an rear end in a top hat here.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If my home burnt down, would any dishes I recover from the ashes be adequately sanitized? Obviously I would handle them with gloves and give them a light rinse afterward.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Whorelord posted:

People regularly insult Patrick Bamford, yes.

Only because he’s the human avatar of Leeds’ inability to leave the Championship.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, you just discovered you cannot trust literally anyone in your family, not even your own brother.

Time for a full :sever:

The amount of people going "well my family is saying I'm the rear end in a top hat I need help reddit" is staggering. Literally anyone from the outside would look at the situation and tell the OP their mother is human garbage and their family are trash people for agreeing with her.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

pentyne posted:

The amount of people going "well my family is saying I'm the rear end in a top hat I need help reddit" is staggering. Literally anyone from the outside would look at the situation and tell the OP their mother is human garbage and their family are trash people for agreeing with her.
Abusive families get really good at warping perspectives. If you've grown up with this, it's what you know as 'normal'.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PetraCore posted:

Abusive families get really good at warping perspectives. If you've grown up with this, it's what you know as 'normal'.

Truth. I didn't begin to realize how hosed up my family was until my dad had a bad enough drug bender to end up in the ICU followed by months of in patient rehab. My parents didn't give a gently caress about engaging with the family therapy, but it was a paradigm shift without the clutch for my siblings and me. It was the kick we needed to start a decade each of individual therapy as we slowly peeled back the layers of what we thought was normal.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Soylent Pudding posted:

I kinda agree with this? The parents seem lovely, but they did what so many people recommend; give the child up. The kid being passive aggressive and stirring poo poo up is dumb, along with the "I refuse to accept this as my fault" despite the drama being their direct result. Obviously the parents should've handled it better, but they don't owe anything to the kid.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Whorelord posted:

The person that told them was a Dalit lol
Ah, I can't loving read. Got me there.

Total Meatlove posted:

Most likely. Like op, I am a Brahmin, so that's analogous to how a Brahmin pretending to be a Dalit would be perceived, but as op makes it clear, that is in no way what's going on here.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Also, the thing about nicknames is you generally don't get to pick your own.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Woozie66 posted:

I kinda agree with this? The parents seem lovely, but they did what so many people recommend; give the child up. The kid being passive aggressive and stirring poo poo up is dumb, along with the "I refuse to accept this as my fault" despite the drama being their direct result. Obviously the parents should've handled it better, but they don't owe anything to the kid.

IDK why you would force the issue when your parents reaffirmed they don't want you 18 years later? There's a reason adoption records are usually sealed. If birth dad and mom were seeking the kid out after 18 years the thread would likely feel different.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

the dude didn't even know what an untouchable was, his culture is that of a dumb guy from Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It is, under no circumstances, the adopted kids fault for reaching out to family members that want to talk to them and thereby causing the parents to have an uncomfortable conversation with their family. They shouldnt be expected to just NOT find their bio relatives because those relatives might get mad at their bio parents