Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Stux posted:

i mean the point in spec ops the line is literally to say to the player "stop playing" thats the option youre given

v weird people trying to retroactively say spec ops was bad now too???? like its cool if you dont like stuff thats pretty miserable but that doesnt make it bad, it was really well done.

spec ops isn't commentary about the player, it's commentary about the genre and US foreign policy

there is never a point where you are supposed to stop playing

also spec ops is still a good game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Terminal autist posted:

I mean tbf a lot of Gamers in this very thread are still grappling with the concept that a protagonist has to be a good guy

No, it's ok to play as old Kratos to a point, but it would be kind of tonally weird to shift to playing Sephiroth right after he ninjas Aeris

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nail Rat posted:

I just hope the game has Abby working out to The Best Around while drinking Fight Milk in a montage flashback

It's the Last! Of Uuuuus!

Joel's gonna get hit by a truck

It's the Last! Of Uuuuus!

Lots of people think it sucks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Amy Hennig has a legendary track record of every single studio she was ever part of completely making GBS threads the bed the instant she leaves

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will complain about Abby being buff only if the game refuses to take advantage of it by not allowing you to falcon punch, suplex, and roundhouse kick zombies resident evil style

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I feel like they could pull off having abby as the protagonist if she was the player character from the very beginning of the game.

Have the game be entirely from her perspective.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1254627840961556480

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I will complain about Abby being buff only if the game refuses to take advantage of it by not allowing you to falcon punch, suplex, and roundhouse kick zombies resident evil style

She should play exactly like Wesker from Mercenaries

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CharlestonJew posted:

also this. make her leon with all of the campy quips

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Stux posted:

yeah one is about oil induced crisis and wars leading to a post-apocalyptic setting, which in the film specifically takes place in the australian desert, a place that is entirely barren and unfit to sustain the amount of food resources required for multiple different body builders to exist, and the other is about the cordyceps fungus spreading to humans creating zombies that click at you.

mad max is about driving supercharged v8s, fighting motorcycle gangs in assless chaps and giant dudes being controlled by midgets

tlou is bleak and relatively grounded + mushroom zombies

the argument isn't that women can't be jacked or strong, it's everyone looked like a regular person in tlou1 and now they introduce a new character that looks like a pro athlete on roids

personally I don't care that much but acting surprised that people notice or question it feels disingenuous

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Speaking of Kratos, this has probably already been said, but even though I think the "cycle of revenge" thing could be framed better...why?

Dad of War loving nailed the hollowness of a cycle of revenge as far as videogame level plots go. They got it perfect. You can't do it better.

I know they started writing before they knew about that game but talk about poor timing. You can't follow that act up Neil. They made loving Kratos a remorseful and sympathetic character.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm trying to think of how other famous games, shows, and so on would go if they pulled a TLOU 2 and had you follow a random person you don't know after they kill someone the audience is already sympathetic towards. Like, imagine if in Breaking Bad, the show followed around that one dude that was an informant for the DEA for an episode, got your sympathies for this man trying to break out of drug peddling and who probably regrets getting his cousin arrested, while Walt and Jesse are just side characters for a bit. Then they gas him, Walt takes him to a basement, and then murders the guy and dissolves him in acid, and THEN the show starts following Walt around. It'd be the most baffling two episodes of TV anyone has ever seen.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm trying to think of how other famous games, shows, and so on would go if they pulled a TLOU 2 and had you follow a random person you don't know after they kill someone the audience is already sympathetic towards. Like, imagine if in Breaking Bad, the show followed around that one dude that was an informant for the DEA for an episode, got your sympathies for this man trying to break out of drug peddling and who probably regrets getting his cousin arrested, while Walt and Jesse are just side characters for a bit. Then they gas him, Walt takes him to a basement, and then murders the guy and dissolves him in acid, and THEN the show starts following Walt around. It'd be the most baffling two episodes of TV anyone has ever seen.

I'll be honest you just described something that sounds incredibly rad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nier automata did it, sort of

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

that sounds pretty cool if done well tbh

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

also metal gear solid 2, sort of

pulling off a protagonist switch is really hard so i'm interested to see how TLOU2 does it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

I mean tbf a lot of Gamers in this very thread are still grappling with the concept that a protagonist has to be a good guy

You can have progagonists that aren't good guys, but you still have to have them give some connection to the reader/player/watcher which gives them a reason to want to see them succeed. Kratos has been brought up and that's about as good as video games get with a progagonist who's also not a good guy.

Taking control of Abby after she already tortured and exectuted Joel and then later shows glee at the idea of murdering a pregnant woman is uh... not a way to endear a protagonist to the player.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

am0kgonzo posted:

mad max is about driving supercharged v8s, fighting motorcycle gangs in assless chaps and giant dudes being controlled by midgets

tlou is bleak and relatively grounded + mushroom zombies

the argument isn't that women can't be jacked or strong, it's everyone looked like a regular person in tlou1 and now they introduce a new character that looks like a pro athlete on roids

personally I don't care that much but acting surprised that people notice or question it feels disingenuous

youre arguing the title with the made up zombies is less grounded while also apparently saying mad max films arent bleak which is a wild swing to take lol

most of the people in tlou1 are pretty physically fit. noticeably. especially the enemy humans, and joel is in good shape and his physique doesnt change from the time skip at all. she doesnt look like shes on roids unless you have literally no concept of how humans work.

people notice and question because of gross reasons because if it was a guy literally no one would mention it, and its never a knock against any post-apoc settings, which with shocking regularity use extremely large buff men as characters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cnidaria posted:

I feel like they could pull off having abby as the protagonist if she was the player character from the very beginning of the game.

Have the game be entirely from her perspective.

Really I feel this wouldn't even help a lot if the reveal was still "You killed my dumb dad working for the super lovely group" like, okay sorry your dad was working with the douchebag militia who's 0 - 5 on cutting out people's brains for a cure, who were likely to be 0 - 6 after cutting out this next child's brain and who were gonna dump the guy who did literally all their work for them into the wilderness with nothing to die, while they've done a lot of nothing other than get their asses blown out, but Joel was right and you suck now too. Making it about "You killed the bunch of horrible assholes who my family were a part of!" is a really good way to make me stop caring about avenging your family at all.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I'll be honest you just described something that sounds incredibly rad.

:v: well maybe the Breaking Bad people could pull it off better than the dude that replaced Amy Hennig

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krazy 8 is actually in BCS (and shows how he got to be an informant) and he is more sympathetic. But obviously this is after the fact.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i guess how youre going to feel about the idea of this is also hinged on how you felt about joel because by the end of the game i cant say he was a good guy or that i liked him at all

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Azs3S2erk

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yardbomb posted:

Really I feel this wouldn't even help a lot if the reveal was still "You killed my dumb dad working for the super lovely group" like, okay sorry your dad was working with the douchebag militia who's 0 - 5 on cutting out people's brains for a cure, who were likely to be 0 - 6 after cutting out this next child's brain and who were gonna dump the guy who did literally all their work for them into the wilderness with nothing to die, while they've done a lot of nothing other than get their asses blown out, but Joel was right and you suck now too. Making it about "You killed the bunch of horrible assholes who my family were a part of!" is a really good way to make me stop caring about avenging your family at all.

Which is why I think the correct approach is to have it entirely from abby's perspective. She thinks the fireflies are good so show them doing good initially. Have the game be her realizing that they were mistaken and siding with ellie in the end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lmao I knew exactly what this was gonna be before I clicked it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Man, The Evil Within 2 was a lot of fun, replayed it not that long ago because I remembered they put the FPS mode into the game, which was a really cool shtick for a return playthrough.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Stux posted:

me to the poster dying on the hill of "woman cant be buff in zombie game": walk away. just walk away.

I definitely don't care enough to die on any hill concerning the topic of The Last of Us II other than it's looking like a pretty bad game :shrug:

I suppose Abby being ripped as hell makes sense from the perspective of why she's able to easily kick the poo poo out of literally everyone else in the story. But yeah I don't personally give a poo poo, I get why people pointed it out but like I said it's a video game, about zombies. I suppose Joel looks pretty built too but it's harder to judge since you don't see him with a short-sleeve or no shirt. Which is also why the Mad Max comparisons are just dumb. Joel, unfortunately, doesn't get to ride the wastelands wearing leather fetish gear

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Did anyone confirm if abby is trans or was that just a rumor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Man, The Evil Within 2 was a lot of fun, replayed it not that long ago because I remembered they put the FPS mode into the game, which was a really cool shtick for a return playthrough.

I desperately hope there's a 3vil Within someday, Sebastian is a great character and both games were super fun to play. They're seriously almost as good as RE4 imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

nier automata did it, sort of

Basically any time Naughty Dog or Quantic Dream think they're doing something groundbreaking narratively, a Japanese designer did it years ago with a third of the budget

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Complete QTE brain surgery on Ellie minigame to unlock Secret Good Ending.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

I've wanted to know this too, but unfortunately it seems way too hard to get a factual say on whether that's real or not, but at the moment I'm gonna go with miserable bigots trying to force hatred again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terminal autist posted:

I think it's insanely unlikely and just gamers being gamers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I have doubts because how would it even come up in the story as outlined

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Yardbomb posted:

I've wanted to know this too, but unfortunately it seems way too hard to get a factual say on whether that's real or not, but at the moment I'm gonna go with miserable bigots trying to force hatred again.

She's buff, and people are dumb as hell. That's the source of the rumor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestonJew posted:

Punch a dumpster into position to get across a river

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Oxxidation posted:

lol here's yet another chump who didn't understand the first game's ending

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will say this, if - and it's a giant if - the game pulls off the protagonist switch, I'll be seriously impressed. It just seems suuuuuper unlikely.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dewgy posted:

She's buff, and people are dumb as hell. That's the source of the rumor.

I think it was literally started entirely by /v/ seeing a screenshot of Abby in the cutscene where she kills Joel with a golf club, deciding that her frame was masculine because of the shirt she's wearing and running with it because it's obviously more amusing to them that way. It had absolutely no basis in reality, but since a lot of the leaks were first disseminated from /v/ you got TERFs on Twitter and elsewhere also peddling it now, especially in context of the scene where Ellie and Dina are almost killed. Because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ruflux posted:

I suppose Joel looks pretty built too but it's harder to judge since you don't see him with a short-sleeve or no shirt.

I got you fam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIa-AKax2xw&t=31s

For just $150 you too can roll up Joel's sleeves