Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

In today's money that's about $235, which I would think is pretty cheap for a decent hotel room in Manhattan. Googling tells me you can get real cheap rooms right now, but I assume that's because of COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

howe_sam posted:

What the drat rear end hell kind of stew is she making?

She's making beef curry, which is arguably a stew in the sense that a taco is arguably a sandwich.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

someone awful. posted:

a "a fermented milk drink"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nenonen posted:

Pitex is a fictional brand for what looks to me like asbestos/fibre cement tiles which were in fashion for facades in 1970s. The warning sign is because of construction work, the home extension has turned the whole lot into a warzone and trees have been felled, compare to the old photograph. The Pitex sign is not a warning, it's advertisement! Who wouldn't want a fire-safe, durable, economical asbestos cladding for their home? Or in Eino's case, interior ceilings too.

Ok, but how did he pay for it

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Jury's still out whether this is specifically a COVID-19 storyline, or just obliquely a COVID-19 storyline.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This owl kicks rear end.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
August 5th & 6th, 1981

And I thought that looked like a bad edit, so I checked and yup:

At this point, I may just double-check all future strips

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

And I thought that looked like a bad edit, so I checked and yup:

But why? :psyduck:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Selachian posted:

I've read ahead in the first couple months of T&TP, and unfortunately that guy in the last panel isn't a one-off. He ends up tagging along with Terry and Pat as a bumbling, cowardly, English-butchering comedy relief sidekick. And there's only so far you can stretch "Well, it was a different time..."

What gets me is that there's this whole street of normal-if-stylisticly-uniform people like you'd find if a comic strip visited anywhere else, and then That Guy shows up. In a different time/context that would be the punchline.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Ok, but how did he pay for it

It's never explicitly said, Eino Lehtonen is the local bus driver but judging from his apparent level of income and his social position he might actually own the local bus company. Also, the traffic sign ("general warning") and bit of blacktop, with stuff we are about to read, might hint to some deals he has made.

Dude Groverhousing his nice old wooden house is a major bit of foreshadowing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

And then a blonde bearded man with a leg made entirely of ice stepped out of the shadows, and growled, "You're not going ANYWHERE. Seize them, my Yetis!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kennel posted:

But why? :psyduck:

Because a married couple sleeping together in comic strip land is sinful.

Also, I would guess that it's kind of like the Sitcom rule of writing. The editor is not going to let you ever do joke A, but that's tame compared to joke B. So you pitch joke B and settle for joke A. Bloom County probably got plenty of negative feedback due to it's political leaning, and this was one of those editorial mandates that said "No, this married couple can't even joke about sharing a bed". Maybe the edit is Breathed defiantly taking all the air out of it, completely neutering the joke.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

For anybody who was getting into the weeds about how much Team Evans (or just the Luann cast, if you want to be generous) know about various food ingredients, this one's for you! With a new bonus mystery substance: "seasoning"

Because you famously use the entire bottle of spices in every dish. It's not, like, an initial investment that works out to pennies per meal in the long run.

(Anyhow, if Luann wasn't so drastically White she'd know to hit up a local Asian or Indian market for spices for a fraction of what McCormick's runs. Heck, if the store has kefir they've probably got a dedicated Hispanic food aisle, go grab some Badia.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I wish there was a good comic strip about cooking, like let's say Luann suddenly becomes good overnight and is just about a young adult having to cook for the first time in her life and learning about how to buy the right kind of meat, how to get the most out of spices, etc.. There are tons and tons of manga about food and cooking, I feel like this has some legs. Maybe there's a webcomic along these lines? Who knows.

Edit: today I learned that the plural form of "manga" is "manga"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Good luck playing those Es on that keyboard.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How Wonderful! posted:

I wish there was a good comic strip about cooking, like let's say Luann suddenly becomes good overnight and is just about a young adult having to cook for the first time in her life and learning about how to buy the right kind of meat, how to get the most out of spices, etc.. There are tons and tons of manga about food and cooking, I feel like this has some legs. Maybe there's a webcomic along these lines? Who knows.

Edit: today I learned that the plural form of "manga" is "manga"
Someone was posting Cheap Thrills Cuisine a while back but it doesn't have like a storyline to it. It was mostly notable because the final product usually looks like either vomit or crap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

She's making beef curry, which is arguably a stew in the sense that a taco is arguably a sandwich.

Tacos are stew sandwiches

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've actually wanted to try kefir, but I've never been able to find where to get it.

How Wonderful! posted:

I am baffled by the logic of which spices go in quotation marks and which ones don't. "Oh, good old turmeric, toss it in the basket. And keep an eye out for.... "cu....min"....?" Also this idea that the Luann household had zero spices sitting around. Including pepper.

There is so much in this one strip that is so baffling. I dread what the comments are like, I can only imagine dozens of "skip the pepper, it's too spicy" posts.

Edit: vv gently caress's sake, of course it is

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 28, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

There is so much in this one strip that is so baffling. I dread what the comments are like, I can only imagine dozens of "skip the pepper, it's too spicy" posts.
I looked because I hate myself, and the comments seem to be more about Jack "finally leaving the friend zone" and now I need to take a shower.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

*affectionate shoulder pince*

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I gotta say, I really love the shirts in The Dinette Set. I would wear both of these in a heartbeat.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Oh my god, someone please avatarize this owl for me holy poo poo.

Johnny Walker posted:

Someone was posting Cheap Thrills Cuisine a while back but it doesn't have like a storyline to it. It was mostly notable because the final product usually looks like either vomit or crap.

I would be really happy if Cheap Thrills Cuisine started making regular appearances in the thread again. The recipes were normally decent and the absolute garbage final panels always made me laugh.

Adam has the Ted Forth virus

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

And the all-new Heart of the City

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Bonus points if it's your current avatar, but the owl replaces the seagull.

Or better yet, the owl replaces the dad.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I've heard about this performer, but I thought he played the piano.

Vargo posted:

Vargo posted:

And the all-new Heart of the City

I like the new art :colbert:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 18, 1938)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Medenmath posted:

I like the new art :colbert:

I really don't :(

To be fair, I haven't read HotC since I was in high school and read it as part of my daily routine in the family paper, but I really like Tatulli's drawing style and found it really well suited for newspapercomixz; this style feels like the artist is probalby used to having more freedom in terms of panel size/page composition and something just isn't working for me while it's in this format.

Maybe it'll grow on me, lord knows of all things Tinkersons did

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
To be fair it does have a very webcomicy look to it, although I like that. What will really be interesting isn't how it looks now, but how it looks a year from now after the new artist has the chance to settle into their new job.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor 1976

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bunny Iron Man is great

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #44 (1988)

Wait, Essential jumps straight from 37 to 44? Do I have a lot of scanning to do?

"Do you think they put sugar in the bran muffins?" That's another joke that really stuck with me. Perhaps because I'm a little like Sparrow that way.

Edit: 38 and 40 are about Toni finding out what happened, 39 is a standalone with Mo and Harriet, and 41-43 are a sequence on coming out. Don't see any particular reason to drop these.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is all alone.

Working Daze should be working from home.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix raises a very good question.

Cul De Sac got to her, too!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Strange that she says "John's" instead of "your dad's" unless that's some short bespectacled adult friend of hers.

Also Gene from Arlo & Janis should post recipes. :colbert:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Bloom County
August 3rd & 4th, 1981
And now we're back on track with the physical books. Everyone meet Bobbi's parents!

I love how both Bobbi and her mother do the same forehead-covering gesture of shock and exasperation.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac got to her, too!

I like this subtle confirmation that these incredibly situationally specific children's songs that Miss Bliss keeps singing are songs that already exist and are well known in this universe. She is not making them up as she goes along.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The Cul de Sac parents are probably the best parents on the comics pages, period. They're loving without being cloying, and whimsical without being stupid.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

(Anyhow, if Luann wasn't so drastically White she'd know to hit up a local Asian or Indian market for spices for a fraction of what McCormick's runs. Heck, if the store has kefir they've probably got a dedicated Hispanic food aisle, go grab some Badia.)

I wish I had a local Asian or Indian market :smith:

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

curtadams posted:

Wait, Essential jumps straight from 37 to 44? Do I have a lot of scanning to do?

Edit: 38 and 40 are about Toni finding out what happened, 39 is a standalone with Mo and Harriet, and 41-43 are a sequence on coming out. Don't see any particular reason to drop these.

I'd like to at least see the ones about Toni and Clarice, I need closure!

Re: "Jane's World," if I remember right, its greatest flaw was that it was boring

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was also The Last Starfighter self-insert plotline...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

curtadams posted:

"Do you think they put sugar in the bran muffins?" That's another joke that really stuck with me. Perhaps because I'm a little like Sparrow that way.

Oops, I somehow skipped over 40. Here we go:

The 1988 presidential election was between Michael Dukakis and George H.W. Bush, a markedly grody campaign among centuries of grody campaigns. Mo's consolation methods are still a top pick everywhere.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sailor Cat posted:

Re: "Jane's World," if I remember right, its greatest flaw was that it was boring

Which is pretty cool for a gay strip but probably not what was intended.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
It's weirdly comforting to know that people in 1988 were just as fed up with the world as we are now, in 2020. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

sweetguts posted:

It's weirdly comforting to know that people in 1988 were just as fed up with the world as we are now, in 2020. :smith:

Yeah Mo is legitimately kind of comforting in her total pessimism lately, it makes me feel like there's a sense of continuity to cling to. I was a baby in 1988 and my vague memories of it are that it ruled and I got to ride on my dad's shoulders. It's kind of nice to think that while I'm spiraling into depression these days with everybody else, some toddler out there is discovering the joys of throwing applesauce across the room and is just blissful about it.