Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

custom maps imply private servers which we know we aren't getting

Not necessarily but it’s significantly less likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Custom maps mean someone will recreate dust2 day-of, and then we will play only that, forever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I hope they don't do map queues like CS:GO, I like being forced into learning all the maps instead of just getting comfortable on one and then playing it forever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, map queues are the worst. You take the good with the bad.

Otherwise you get 24x7 DE_DUST servers filled with people with 1000 hours of experience on that map

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Watching these people play assault will never not be funny

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

New patch is hitting tomorrow. https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-0-49/

quote:

Gameplay and Balance

Omen

Omen now immediately becomes vulnerable and no longer appears dark after he leaves his alternate shadow form
If you were to find enemy Omen teleporting in, it was often confusing when you should shoot him to get the kill (vs. sending him back). This change is to both account for an invulnerability bug and score some extra points of clarity
The attenuation radius of the arrival sound on Omen's From the Shadows has been reduced to 2250
Attenuation is a big word, but the short of it is you have to be closer to Omen to echolocate where he’s teleporting to. We’re trying to give him some spook back since if you do find him, you should now have him dead to rights

Character Updates

[Omen] Updated Omen’s visuals
[Breach] Updated Breach’s visuals

Map Updates

Added curtains to the top of double doors on Haven to remove the Sage Barrier Orb boost that allowed players to see through a sliver of the door at the top
Fixed issue with Cypher camera being placed on the Haven A Main boxes
Multiple fixes to the geometry on Haven, Bind, and Split to fix exploits and help optimize gameplay—massive thanks to all of the folks who helped to identify these! We see you
Updated materials on Bind and Haven to make surfaces more consistent overall
Changed color of Radianite crates in order to unify overall visuals

Competitive Updates

Added Competitive mode and ranked matchmaking, to go live in the near future

Observer Mode

Added “Ghost cheat” as an option to custom games with cheats enabled, allowing you to fly around the map in no-clip mode
Ability HUD no longer displays when entering drone camera as an observer
Exiting drone camera will now swap back to the most recently viewed player if they’re still a valid view target
Swapping through players to view will now iterate through an entire team before going to players on the other team

HUD & UI

In-game
New directional damage indicator visual
New low health and low ammo visuals
Removed character portrait from player’s minimap icon to better distinguish player icon; icon will receive additional color and polish in the future
Voice activity is now shown above allies’ heads
Added color to spike icon above ally’s head to make it easier to see
Fixed the ultimate ability icon above teammates’ heads showing as charged after gaining 1 ult point instead of when actually charged
Ping elements now fade when under player aim; previously only text faded

Out-of-game
Relocated Find Match button from social panel to Play screen; renamed to Start
Relocated Practice button from social panel to Play screen
Added Play Again button to End of Game screen
Made the flyouts on the nav progression widget clickable
Made main navigation button click targets easier to click
Added an option to orient the fixed minimap so that player’s starting side is always at the bottom
Adjusted all map assets so that full fixed orientations consistently place attackers at bottom and defenders at top
Added hover tooltips to thumbnails in the Collections view to show item name
Scroll speed tweaked to make scrolling social panel smoother
Made crosshair preview in Settings shorter to make more room for controls

Quality of Life

Added the ability to abandon a multiplayer Custom Game. Using the “Leave match” button in the ESC menu will allow you to permanently leave the match without penalty. Leaving the custom game in any other way (exit client, alt+f4, etc.) will still allow you to return to the match
Updated the audio occlusion system to help players better differentiate audio distancing cues. For example, Haven B to A short, you should perceive sounds from their correct distance and not as if they were right next to you
Players who abandon matchmade games, or dodge agent selects, will now experience penalties that prevent them from queuing for a period of time. Frequent offenders will experience higher queue time penalties. Leaving ruins the match for everyone else, and should only be a last resort
Enabled the ability to see VALORANT players online in Riot games
Adjusted play flow UX moving queue buttons into lobby screens
Adjusted social panel UX to accommodate additional space
Adjusted End of Game UX to clean up design of various widgets
Adjusted chat disconnect error state to be less… intimidating
Spawn practice bots option in the shooting range moved from the F3 menu to an in-world shootable switch
For all shotguns, moved the crosshair’s center dot by 1px to center it on the screen. The devs expect shotgun lethality to increase by 4,000% as a result (this is a joke)

Bug Fixes: In-Game

[Phoenix] Fixed a bug where Phoenix would get teleported back to an ascender (rope ladder) after respawning, in cases where Phoenix died while Run It Back was active and he was attached to an ascender
[Phoenix] Fixed a bug where, for a brief time after Run It Back ended, Phoenix could be damaged in the place where he fizzled
[Viper] Updated the appearance of Viper's Toxic Screen on the minimap to show gaps in the wall
[Viper] Fixed Viper being able to animation-cancel Viper’s Pit
Prevent “Spike Planted” announcement from playing after a round has ended and hiding the round end announcement, which should clearly indicate the result of after-the-buzzer plant rounds
Fixed Bomb Carrier Killed announcement from also showing Ally Defusing
Fixed a rare issue where players’ weapons would float in front of them; too spooky
Fixed a rare issue where third-person player models could get desynced from the server when double tapping a defuse, causing some shots to miss
Fixed aim issue that caused some players who were using low sensitivity to have small mouse movements dropped
Fixed issue where canceling a plant or orb pickup could sometimes play the wrong (slower) re-equip animation, making it look as if the player could fire too quickly after canceling (timing was correct, animation wasn’t)
Fixed map region names as they appear below the minimap from not localizing properly
Smoothed out movement during player-to-player collisions
Fixed a bug where item UI prompt in the game world would appear to block bullets
Fixed a bug where the Z ping wheel could be opened alongside the map ping wheel, creating a scenario where multiple ping wheels could be open at once
Fixed a bug where ping wheel wouldn’t show disabled when direct bound pings were used to reach usage limit
Fixed a rare bug where either team could win a round by elimination on the same frame that the spike was defused, granting two points for that round.
Fixed overlap in ally planting announcement
Fixed a bug where the VO radial wheel would hit the rate limit by opening and closing it without selecting a VO option
Minimap will no longer randomly hide for all players in a game
Update to Bucky’s alternate fire to instead apply instantaneous, hitscan damage
Alt. fire was previously a projectile that was able to kill enemies shortly after the user was killed. No other weapon works this way so now it performs as a hitscan.

Bug Fixes: Game Client

Fixed an issue that allowed players to purchase items not available in their respective store
Fixed an issue that let players equip content they didn't own
Fixed issue where display settings would get re-applied when joining/leaving games, which could move the window or change display mode in rare cases
Fixed network stability indicator sometimes appearing when setting was disabled
Line of sight is no longer required to pick up the spike when overlapped by a player
Fixed issue where the spike would sometimes become unretrievable
Fixed an issue preventing some player reports from submitting
Fixed various connection issues with voice chat
Fixed various connection issues with text chat
Fixed various issues with player state being incorrect in social panel
Fixed an issue where some players could not requeue after a game without relogging
Fixed issues with receiving party invitations
Fixed transparent player card icons in Custom Game lobbies
Fixed resetting controls for Voice Chat in settings
Fixed voice defaulting to automatic transmission for Custom Games
Fixed voice being interrupted when navigating Custom Game options
Fixed a handful of localization issues across menu screens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Added curtains to the top of double doors on Haven to remove the Sage Barrier Orb boost that allowed players to see through a sliver of the door at the top

Awww I just learned how to do that

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ya know, it doesn't take that long to design a map for a game like this. Not seeing a good reason they still only have 3.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

d0grent posted:

Ya know, it doesn't take that long to design a map for a game like this. Not seeing a good reason they still only have 3.

just port e1m1, ctf-face and de_dust2. those are the only fps maps

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

quote:

Update to Bucky’s alternate fire to instead apply instantaneous, hitscan damage
Alt. fire was previously a projectile that was able to kill enemies shortly after the user was killed. No other weapon works this way so now it performs as a hitscan.

whoa wonder if this ever hosed me

also, curious how helpful this is:

quote:

New directional damage indicator visual

edit:

man in the eyeball hat posted:

just port e1m1, ctf-face and de_dust2. those are the only fps maps

give me 2fort or give me death

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2fort is actually a virtual chat lobby

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It feels like Bind is their dust2 equivalent.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

flakeloaf posted:

Custom maps mean someone will recreate dust2 day-of, and then we will play only that, forever.

As our lord and savior, Gabe, intended.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

George H.W. oval office posted:

It feels like Bind is their dust2 equivalent.

i really hope not. Split is the only map that I really like, with a proper mid and a split if attackers can take it. The teleporters on Bind are interesting, but I think is prefer if one in A short was just a connector. The teleporter to rotate B to A is interesting.

I really really really don't like Haven, but maybe that's because I haven't played a game on Haven with a good team. Mid/B are drastically underplayed and the engagements seem bland

I feel like de_cache could be ported and modified to make a more interesting Haven with 3 sites

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We better have dust as well as dust2!

I remember liking the really dumb, broken gimmicky maps back in the old days of CS and never liking either dust. Sure 747 was horrifically broken but it was unique!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

We better have dust as well as dust2!

I remember liking the really dumb, broken gimmicky maps back in the old days of CS and never liking either dust. Sure 747 was horrifically broken but it was unique!

the night time dust map was beautiful.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's finally time for de_chateau to make its comeback

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheAardvark posted:

I just want condition zero to come back :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

militia with the APC

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Oil rig was my fav poo poo map

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Oil rig was my fav poo poo map

Assassination is a bad mode in general

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

dust2 should be shamelessly stolen, it's the perfect map.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

bring back hostage rescue

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wheeee posted:

bring back hostage rescue

oh gently caress, I would love to play a game of Valorant on Office

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

fyallm posted:

I just want condition zero to come back :(

de_fastline alone was better than every map made for source and csgo

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Where can you see the player count? I like seeing that kind of thing.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

CLARPUS posted:

Where can you see the player count? I like seeing that kind of thing.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can see player count anywhere? At least not that I've been able to find.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

"Enabled the ability to see VALORANT players online in Riot games"

Referring to this from the Quality of Life section of the recent patch notes.

I think I'm misinterpreting it though. I guess it means you can see Valorant players online in LoL, TFT, etc.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea it’s just being able to see all friends in all games. The beginnings of finally getting a freaking Riot client instead of these one offs

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm now up to 15 games in a row where someone afk's on one or both teams

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did you afk or leave a match or something and get put in some kind of poo poo queue?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Many devs, including Riot and Blizzard, intentionally obscure their player counts and simply announce positive milestones without any transparency. Doing so generally sidesteps the issue of the "dead game" self-fulfilling prophecy, where declining players numbers being visible fuels criticism, general despondency and probably encourages more people to stop playing.

Of course, they can't hide Twitch viewer counts and so on, which people by-and-large use as a substitute. Don't expect a real-time viewer count for Valorant ever though, there won't be one almost guaranteed.

d0grent posted:

I'm now up to 15 games in a row where someone afk's on one or both teams

It hasn't been that bad for me, but it's been a thing for sure. Closed beta syndrome - with nothing on the line and no punitive measures implemented yet, people are going to AFK and leave a lot. It will moderately improve as time goes on and with ranked play. Of course, best to play with friends full stop.

d0grent posted:

It takes longer than you think to design a tight competitive map, which is what they are shooting for. Some people may only be used to games where devs poo poo out like twenty maps at launch, most of which are totally unsuitable for anything but public play. However, you're right in that they've probably had plenty of time to develop more than 3 maps. And it is very likely that they have 2-3 more competitive maps ready to line up and launch. In fact I'd expect them to release another one or two during the Closed Beta, or at least for the Open Beta if that is happening. They won't release all the maps they have immediately into the beta pool, because they can thoroughly test this pool of maps and iron out the literally hundreds of quirks and bugs.

I played the CS:GO closed beta in very early stages, and you could only play one map a week in the beginning. There was only a limited pool of competitive maps even by release, and that was with the insane advantage of literally just reskinning existing maps.

e: well I googled it, and apparently there is a datamined map called Ascent with a general Venice theme that is likely to be put into the beta at some point.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 29, 2020

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Jeza posted:

Many devs, including Riot and Blizzard, intentionally obscure their player counts and simply announce positive milestones without any transparency. Doing so generally sidesteps the issue of the "dead game" self-fulfilling prophecy, where declining players numbers being visible fuels criticism, general despondency and probably encourages more people to stop playing.

Of course, they can't hide Twitch viewer counts and so on, which people by-and-large use as a substitute. Don't expect a real-time viewer count for Valorant ever though, there won't be one almost guaranteed.

It hasn't been that bad for me, but it's been a thing for sure. Closed beta syndrome - with nothing on the line and no punitive measures implemented yet, people are going to AFK and leave a lot. It will moderately improve as time goes on and with ranked play. Of course, best to play with friends full stop.

It takes longer than you think to design a tight competitive map, which is what they are shooting for. Some people may only be used to games where devs poo poo out like twenty maps at launch, most of which are totally unsuitable for anything but public play. However, you're right in that they've probably had plenty of time to develop more than 3 maps. And it is very likely that they have 2-3 more competitive maps ready to line up and launch. In fact I'd expect them to release another one or two during the Closed Beta, or at least for the Open Beta if that is happening. They won't release all the maps they have immediately into the beta pool, because they can thoroughly test this pool of maps and iron out the literally hundreds of quirks and bugs.

I played the CS:GO closed beta in very early stages, and you could only play one map a week in the beginning. There was only a limited pool of competitive maps even by release, and that was with the insane advantage of literally just reskinning existing maps.

e: well I googled it, and apparently there is a datamined map called Ascent with a general Venice theme that is likely to be put into the beta at some point.

so thats rialto, then next will be lijiang tower, and finally nepal. The last deathblow to overwatch is stealing all my favorite maps

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Four games joined, four games not started. Guess it's a CSGO night.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Give me rats2, call it mice or something

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
4th map at launch being named Dusk2 would be pretty great

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jeza posted:

I used to make a lot of maps for Counterstrike, so I know exactly how long it takes to make a good map. They've had more than enough time and there should be at least 6 by now if not more.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I don't see it mentioned specifically in the notes so I don't know if this will be fixed tomorrow but I have narrowed down a weird issue where my ping increases only when I am doing something. For example if I stand still with hands off the keyboard I get ~30ms but when I move the mouse around and nothing else it goes up to ~100 and when I stop it drops back down again. It happens in practice map by myself too. Its hard for me to think of a technical reason that would result in something like that.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I literally only just now made the connection between Office being my favorite CS:S map and my love of R6S.

I should play more Valorant, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

d0grent posted:

I used to make a lot of maps for Counterstrike, so I know exactly how long it takes to make a good map. They've had more than enough time and there should be at least 6 by now if not more.

wat? are you serious?

cs has been out for 20 years and theres only 5 good maps