Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Accidentally becoming shadow-empress of three separate kingdoms and ensuring a half century of cross boarder prosperity, yet still motivated by food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally got around to watching this and reading the thread. People were talking about the game earlier, is Fortune Lover a real game or is this an adaptation of a game?

Also I'm glad it seems like lovable morons are in, everything I'm following has at least one as a main character.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Supersonic Shine posted:

Can't wait for the war arc where Katarina spills countless gallons of blood in defense of her beloved friends, forcing her to confront the fact that despite all her efforts, she's become the dark-hearted villainess whose decisions she was trying to avoid.

I'm only kidding, of course. Katarina would capture the hearts of the enemy prince and princess and end the war before it even happened.
Katarina Klaes: The real Phantom Thief. :black101:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Finally got around to watching this and reading the thread. People were talking about the game earlier, is Fortune Lover a real game or is this an adaptation of a game?

Also I'm glad it seems like lovable morons are in, everything I'm following has at least one as a main character.
It's dumbasses all the way down.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Fortune Lover is a fictional game, this anime is an adaptation of a light novel and the manga adaptation of that light novel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show is making me want to play Long Live the Queen again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmUuJVGcIM

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Do be warned that despite the cutesy presentation, Long Live the Queen is actually pretty hardcore Royalty Murder Simulator and not really like Bakarina at all.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I heard Fortune Lover is getting a demo with the blueray version of this anime. So I guess theres that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

M_Gargantua posted:

Accidentally becoming shadow-empress of three separate kingdoms and ensuring a half century of cross boarder prosperity, yet still motivated by food

Okay, now it's time to imagine the Three Houses spin-off with Bakarina instead of Edelgard.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Doki Doki Literature Club but with Katarina instead of Monika.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club but with Katarina instead of Monika.

She's nothing like Monika though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, now it's time to imagine the Three Houses spin-off with Bakarina instead of Edelgard.
That sounds like a dumber version of Fates.

I would play that version. I love dumb strategy games too much. :cripes:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's nothing like Monika though.

A dating game antagonist with knowledge of the game that she's in that is trying to subvert the rules and story of her world to disrupt the player's romances with her friends and change her ending?

Yeah, guess not.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is more like Princess Maker - level up in a bunch of abilities but only end up being a farmer

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MJP posted:

Yeah, this is more like Princess Maker - level up in a bunch of abilities but only end up being a farmer

I needed to build up her strength so I could take her adventuring, ok?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tenebrais posted:

A dating game antagonist with knowledge of the game that she's in that is trying to subvert the rules and story of her world to disrupt the player's romances with her friends and change her ending?

Yeah, guess not.

Except Katarina is the protagonist in this story. And has none of the personality traits of Monika such as obsessive possessiveness, a lack of care for her fellow characters, and a desire to destroy the world?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

Except Katarina is the protagonist in this story. And has none of the personality traits of Monika such as obsessive possessiveness, a lack of care for her fellow characters, and a desire to destroy the world?

Yet.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Katarina Klaes: The real Phantom Thief. :black101:
Instead of a cool costume, she dresses up in baggy peasant clothes and one of those cloths that's tied right under the nose, which is apparently called a hokkamuri?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This thread has me picturing Bakarina: Conqueror of the Universe and I'm sad it'll never exist.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Nitrousoxide posted:

bruh i don't care how similar they are, i just want to see it happen

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

I needed to build up her strength so I could take her adventuring, ok?

it's funny how adventuring is the only way to consistently get a good ending in princess maker 2

but you won't know where to go and what treasures to find and how to handle situations unless you have previous knowledge of the game

hey, wait a minute

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Supersonic Shine posted:

Can't wait for the war arc where Katarina spills countless gallons of blood in defense of her beloved friends, forcing her to confront the fact that despite all her efforts, she's become the dark-hearted villainess whose decisions she was trying to avoid.

I'm only kidding, of course. Katarina would capture the hearts of the enemy prince and princess and end the war before it even happened.

she's like helen of troy

everyone wants to marry her

except she always the backup strat of "run away and be a farmer" as a plan A (depending on whoever she thinks captures Maria's eye first) so she has much more agency than the stereotypical damsel in distress.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, she thinks that if either Keith or Geordo start to like Maria, she'll make plans to hightail it out of there in the middle of the night before she gets stabbed

in reality, Anne would probably yell at her first, before getting Keith to also yell at her, before she makes it out the front gates

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bakarina manga update: Baka gaaaaaay

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not really a spoiler since even the anime watchers know this dynamic by now:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like to think her head made that 'TOONK' sound you get when you hit an empty coconut :allears:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Bakarina manga update: Baka gaaaaaay
Dude, she literally got hearts in her eyes while going on about how cute Maria is. This isn't just old, it's Paleolithic.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

This is not a straight thing to say.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

This is not a straight thing to say.

Also pretty not-straight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gonna dissent and suggest that Bakarina is neither gay nor straight, rather her gender/sexual identity is "dense". Not saying I hold to this view, but it's something to consider.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

We should probably cool it with the manga panels, while the anime is still airing.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if Katarina turns out more gay than bi, and I'm kind of miffed that a lot of the fan reactions seem to be going that way already

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dzhay posted:

Personally, I'll be disappointed if Katarina turns out more gay than bi, and I'm kind of miffed that a lot of the fan reactions seem to be going that way already

It does make me wonder though- is Bakarina attracted to Maria because she's bi/gay, or is it because Maria still has some Protagonist Powers™ left? After all, Bakarina did not act this way around any of her other love interests, male or female.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Only having watched the anime, I'd have thought Catarina is pretty firmly established as bi as soon as she met Sophia and Nichol. That whole episode was her mooning over the both of them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What Bakarina doesn't realise is that she reincarnated not in the universe of Fortune Lover, but the universe of Fortune Lover fanfiction.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

She uses her real world knowledge, her predilection for earth magic, and her years honing her amateur farming skills to completely revolutionize the agricultural industry and lift her nation out of poverty. :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Only having watched the anime, I'd have thought Catarina is pretty firmly established as bi as soon as she met Sophia and Nichol. That whole episode was her mooning over the both of them.

The irony of that being that it doesn't seem like Sophia has any romantic attraction to Catarina. Unless things change Sophia seems to be Catarina's only platonic friend outside of Anne.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, let's cool it with spoilers from stuff that's probably coming. Things that are probably getting the "cutting room floor" treatment (like I'm sure Anne's backstory is not getting elaborated upon).

Some spoilers are more than welcome, though! Like this. Katarina is a big, adorable dumbass.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Some spoilers are more than welcome, though! Like this. Katarina is a big, adorable dumbass.

Whoa! I hadn't gotta to that part yet! :mad:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, let's cool it with spoilers from stuff that's probably coming. Things that are probably getting the "cutting room floor" treatment (like I'm sure Anne's backstory is not getting elaborated upon).

mods knew

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Glasses Keith is powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That was a cute episode. I like that, despite everything, Katarina still loves her mum. :3: