Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

How Wonderful! posted:

I wish there was a good comic strip about cooking, like let's say Luann suddenly becomes good overnight and is just about a young adult having to cook for the first time in her life and learning about how to buy the right kind of meat, how to get the most out of spices, etc.. There are tons and tons of manga about food and cooking, I feel like this has some legs. Maybe there's a webcomic along these lines? Who knows.

Condiment Raccoon is a pro follow on Instagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Shneak posted:

Condiment Raccoon is a pro follow on Instagram.

Adorable! Thank you, this is great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

catlord posted:

I've actually wanted to try kefir, but I've never been able to find where to get it.

It's good. It's kinda like thin plain yogurt I guess. Refreshing when served cold. If you have a schawarma place near you, they might know where to get some.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Safety Dance posted:

It's good. It's kinda like thin plain yogurt I guess. Refreshing when served cold. If you have a schawarma place near you, they might know where to get some.

Ooh, that might work out for me, there's an Assyrian food truck I've wanted to try but I'm never quite close enough when I get the urge. Looking it up, I'm a little surprised there aren't more shawarma places around (I've never had it), since it seems like something we'd get here. Thanks for the suggestion!

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 29, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

There are some drinkable yoghurt products out here in the wild, wild west that are not kefir.

Kefir is nice tho.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drimble Wedge posted:

The Cul de Sac parents are probably the best parents on the comics pages, period. They're loving without being cloying, and whimsical without being stupid.
The Wallace the Brave parents would like to have a word with you.

2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Why they started a story arc, then interrupted for a minit "mystery" a week or so in, the world may never know.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Huh, what a coincidence... wait, period drama? I mean, yeah it's not inaccurate, but I feel like very few people would call a movie set too close to the modern day a period piece, unless I'm just out of the loop (I could be! Dramas aren't really my genre). Reading that just makes me wonder how long modern Dick Tracy is supposed to have been active.

Also, I have to say, I hope this is an actually thing in Zelda and not just a weird little one-off.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, I have to wonder if the stereotypical "lie detector detects lies about its own capacities" gag was any more original in 1920. Does it count as a "lie" if you sincerely believe it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, I have to wonder if the stereotypical "lie detector detects lies about its own capacities" gag was any more original in 1920. Does it count as a "lie" if you sincerely believe it?

Full name is Polly Graf, I presume :dadjoke:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow, Zelda did something relatively sensible for once?

In today's Corto Maltese: Escudero needs all this like he needs a hole in the hea- oh. Slightly NSFW, or Corto gets dressed to at least the five-and-three-quarters, or An old friend gets in touch with Corto

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have heard that kefir isn't a huge pain in the rear end to make yourself. I have not attempted to do so, however, nor have I done any research into what is actually involved in the process. It's possible I was lied to by some wannabe lifestyle guru. It happens.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

I have heard that kefir isn't a huge pain in the rear end to make yourself. I have not attempted to do so, however, nor have I done any research into what is actually involved in the process. It's possible I was lied to by some wannabe lifestyle guru. It happens.

It's pretty easy if you can get kefir grains. I bet there's some other way too but kefir grains make it a snap. Just combine some milk (whole fat is best) with some active grains and leave it out at room-temperature-ish for about a day, with something porous fixed over the top like cheesecloth (if you seal it with a lid it has a risk of exploding). Strain out the grains and put them in some more milk if you anticipate wanting more kefir right away, and voila, homemade kefir!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/8/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/3/46

Mopsy 12/12/42

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

As long as you can get your hands on the culture it's dead easy, like even easier than yoghurt.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angular Cyrus posted:

They'll Do It Every Time 12/3/46

Powerful urge vibes in the right panel from the workers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Pitex is a fictional brand for what looks to me like asbestos/fibre cement tiles which were in fashion for facades in 1970s. The warning sign is because of construction work, the home extension has turned the whole lot into a warzone and trees have been felled, compare to the old photograph. The Pitex sign is not a warning, it's advertisement! Who wouldn't want a fire-safe, durable, economical asbestos cladding for their home? Or in Eino's case, interior ceilings too.

Oh, thanks for the explanation!

Has "it's not you, it's me" ever made someone not sound like a complete rear end in a top hat?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It occurs to me that I was actually thinking of kumis rather than kefir, but gently caress it, I'm down for either.

Since it's a bit of derail, here's a... uh... Sam and Silo? I have never heard of this before.

I guess it's a spin-off of Sam's Strip?

Wikipedia's Entry on this comic posted:

"Sam & Silo is just an ordinary comic strip," states Don Markstein's Toonopedia. "A little old-fashioned, perhaps; but...it's pretty typical of what you see all over the comics page."[6] King Features themselves don't claim any more than that in their online introduction to the strip: "Sam and Silo...don’t attempt to solve the secrets of the universe. They don’t have profound ideas about politics or the economy or the communications revolution."[5] As Toonopedia admits, while the strip has "none of the self-parodying zaniness that made Sam's Strip one of comics' little-known classics,"[3] it does have a loyal following that depends on it "to provide chuckles Monday through Saturday."[6]

Well, at least it's not my go-to of Blondie.

Speaking of though, it has been a bit since we last saw some Sam's Strip. Who was posting it? We're probably some of the only people who get it anyways.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I was but I dropped off posting it when the semester really started getting bananas, and only really kept up with DtWOF when things settled down a little. I'd be happy to pick it back up again now that the semester's over.

Sam's Strip (2/1/1962)

1962 felt a little late for this kind of joke since Chubby Checker's cover of "The Twist" came out in 1960. However it turns out it also charted at number one for two weeks in January 1962, for reasons unknown to me. I also found out that there were a poo poo ton of knock-off twist songs that same year, including "Twist, Twist, Senora," "Twistin' Postman," and "Bristol Twistin' Annie," the more famous Isley Brothers version of "Twist and Shout" and the admirably to-the-point "Hey, Let's Twist." Shows what I know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

And the all-new Heart of the City

Oh, there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to tell who any character is if there's not someone in the same panel addressing them by name. :stare:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The book gives a description of each matchup. Anyone who gets knocked down is eliminated, while the winners keep getting new challengers. After what is shown here, the whites make a comeback and in the end only the captains will be left. Tomorrow's comic jumps right to the final match.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Probably "three stars cut brandy" (3/4 of brandy, 1/4 of vodka)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

Oh, there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to tell who any character is if there's not someone in the same panel addressing them by name. :stare:
heart's the one with the hips

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Even with that tiny bit of fig-leaf deniability, I can't say I think I've seen that word in a newspaper comic before.

Tina's Groove Classic (September 20, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 20, 1998)

Garfield Classic (September 20, 1988)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

"Vapaan lehmän maitoa" = "Free cow's milk", a common marketing term ("free chicken's eggs" is another), there is no official standard, but it gives the customer an impression that these animals can move more freely than the others (possibly true, but some companies have been inspected for misleading claims)

Vapaa = Free
Vapa = Rod
"Vapaan lehmän maitoa" = "Cow's milk for the rod".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah, I think that's what's called in the US "Free-range"?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It's good that Heart has made friends with Bert from Sesame Street.

In Juliet Jones, Eve is getting set up for a big fall and I don't think even Pop can talk her down.

gleebster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 29, 2020

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Huh. Good for her. Cesar can go fall in a pit.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Julet Esqu posted:

I like this subtle confirmation that these incredibly situationally specific children's songs that Miss Bliss keeps singing are songs that already exist and are well known in this universe. She is not making them up as she goes along.

Isn't the joke that the parents also went to Miss Bliss' daycare when they were children? Or am I thinking of Peppa Pig...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Heart of the City

I feel like this art would work a lot better with a full-time colorist. Anyway, Mark Tatuli has no patience for commenters:

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Comic Strip Thread 2020: Ho, Ho, Bitches and Hoes!

And seconding the "good for her" sentiment. Maybe she can move on and become a better person.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (September 20, 1988)

Ah, man, doxxed again :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that Zelda's letter to Cesar is pretty much "I'll remember our time together fondly for the most part but seriously you're a lead weight so go gently caress yourself."

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I think my main issue with HoTC's new art style is all the shading. Something about it makes my eyes slide off the strip and blurs out any features that are meant to make the characters distinct.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

how long did it take you to translate those poems from Swedish while retaining the rhyme and meter?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

You have probably noticed how many characters are addressed with their titles, like "director Teuvo Isopaljo". I hope it comes across correctly in English as formal and stilted as it's supposed to be. For example johtaja in Finnish can mean pretty much any kind of leadership position, but the word has a different feel to it than it's literal English translation "leader". I felt that "director" was better for the kind of absolute authority Isopaljo as a CEO has.

On that note, we meet mayor Martti Mielonen and I finally decided to use "mayor" as his title. This is incorrect, Finland doesn't really have mayors (while the position is legally possible), instead generally opting for kunnanjohtaja for which "commissioner" would probably be more accurate. Again, I decided for "mayor" because I felt it reflects Mielonen's independence even though as a kunnanjohtaja he was elected by, and subservient to, the county council.

Many characters also refer to each other as "brother", this is a particular clique of local powerful people who belong to the same hobby groups and social club. More of this in later strips.

tl;dr - translating is hard

LazyQ fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä
Many characters also refer to each other as "brother", this is a particular clique of local powerful people who belong to the same hobby groups and social club. More of this in later strips.

To add this: The common Finnish term for "Old boy network" is "Dear brother network".

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Sept 14, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 24-25, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Nov 2-3, 2015)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I usually scowl at the characters of Zelda, I think I've had one or two chuckles, but that last one with her telling Cesar off made me full on grin. I feel like she's an old friend I lost touch for good reasons; I'm glad she made such a good and bold move

I'm hoping it doesn't get zapped back to status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Parahexavoctal posted:

how long did it take you to translate those poems from Swedish while retaining the rhyme and meter?

I was gonna say, good fükkìng job!