Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I loved jeepathon2k though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poe meater posted:

I loved jeepathon2k though!

How do I not remember this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qQNJLh_zU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CampingCarl posted:

I don't see it mentioned specifically in the notes so I don't know if this will be fixed tomorrow but I have narrowed down a weird issue where my ping increases only when I am doing something. For example if I stand still with hands off the keyboard I get ~30ms but when I move the mouse around and nothing else it goes up to ~100 and when I stop it drops back down again. It happens in practice map by myself too. Its hard for me to think of a technical reason that would result in something like that.

Are you playing at very high fps? I know there was a bug earlier where people playing on really high FPS had latency issues that were fixed by capping at 120fps.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

prom candy posted:

Are you playing at very high fps? I know there was a bug earlier where people playing on really high FPS had latency issues that were fixed by capping at 120fps.
I heard that so then I capped it at 144 (to match monitor) which didn't help. I didn't go down lower because in TYOOL 2020 I didn't think 144 would count as very high fps. Game companies figured out years ago that networking tied to framerate was problematic so I hope that isn't it.

Or if it is can we go back to Q3 style picmip configs?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

d0grent posted:

I used to make a lot of maps for Counterstrike, so I know exactly how long it takes to make a good map. They've had more than enough time and there should be at least 6 by now if not more.
I'm sure that your experience with custom maps in CS relates directly to devs making maps in a game that has a lot of new abilities that do things totally unlike anything in cs that maps have to take into account and also when all the maps so far contain unique art assets

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
and don't suck

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I used to make a lot of maps for Counterstrike, so I know exactly how long it takes to make a good map. They've had more than enough time and there should be at least 6 by now if not more.

:goonsay:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

d0grent posted:

Please share your favorite map that you've made for CS; I'd love to play it.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I am pretty new to this genre, always stuck to Quake when everyone jumped ship to Counter Strike.

I am really enjoying this game though. I was wondering if there was a guide somewhere with standard defensive positions on each map for different characters?

Is that even a thing in this type of game, or is more about map knowledge and knowing how far forward or how far back to sit on defense?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think 'standard' positions would change much by character, with a few exceptions for those with area denial, but more by the weapons they have. Positioning is big so map knowledge is really important but you have to combine that with some game sense and communication because you can't see everything.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sure that your experience with custom maps in CS relates directly to devs making maps in a game that has a lot of new abilities that do things totally unlike anything in cs that maps have to take into account and also when all the maps so far contain unique art assets

Yes, as someone who has spent a significant amount of time making levels for games I do have a good idea of how long these things take. Not sure why that's hard for you to believe. They are also an entire team of professionals who's job it is to make content for this game for 40 or more hours every week. I'm not expecting them to poo poo out a bunch of half finished maps, but this is a closed beta so a few more maps that aren't 100% ironed out is fine. I'm honestly surprised they even released a playable version of the game with only 3 maps, considering the maps are one of the only ways a game like this has any variety.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If you mean which characters should go where, I don't think there is a big guide on that, but honestly I don't keep up much with community content shenanigans so there might be. All characters can play all positions, but undoubtedly some are more suited to one place than another.

Just to use Bind as an example, most good teams I've played against often put Viper or Omen on bathrooms. Omen because he can keep it almost smoked almost all round and it's easy to blind people, Viper because she has a completely broken one way bubble on top of the exit. Sage commonly mid, because she can wall and slow any pushes effectively in the choke without facing. Cypher in Window room because easy places to camera and tripwire in there. Sova/Breach on B long, because the arrow info is useful there, and because Breach abilities are just good down long corridors with no escape.

If you mean just like, where should I stand to have a good angle on enemies, the only relevant advice imo is don't stand in the same place more than two rounds in a row. Playing aggressive or passive, holding close or far, making a crossfire with a teammate or not - it's too contextual to give one-size-fits-all advice on.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Just got my closed beta invitation after idling on some stream for a few hours a couple weeks back and I'm pretty excited!

Haven't played anything counter strike really since highschool on low gravity servers, outside of surf maps cause I'm way into any dumb movement mechanics.

Any major things to know going in fairly cold on the game? Any specific characters that are better for newer players?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

d0grent posted:

Yes, as someone who has spent a significant amount of time making levels for games I do have a good idea of how long these things take. Not sure why that's hard for you to believe. They are also an entire team of professionals who's job it is to make content for this game for 40 or more hours every week. I'm not expecting them to poo poo out a bunch of half finished maps, but this is a closed beta so a few more maps that aren't 100% ironed out is fine. I'm honestly surprised they even released a playable version of the game with only 3 maps, considering the maps are one of the only ways a game like this has any variety.

My dude, the drat CS community plays the same drat 7 maps for 20 years. People are going to play this game no matter the loving what.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

d0grent posted:

Lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

d0grent posted:

post your KDA maps

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

meta² posted:

I am pretty new to this genre, always stuck to Quake when everyone jumped ship to Counter Strike.

I am really enjoying this game though. I was wondering if there was a guide somewhere with standard defensive positions on each map for different characters?

Is that even a thing in this type of game, or is more about map knowledge and knowing how far forward or how far back to sit on defense?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6z5RLYowjCNmgwTTnd3HkA

This guy gives some good advice. He goes into things like off angles and such which id say is the important bit about positioning.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Just got my closed beta invitation after idling on some stream for a few hours a couple weeks back and I'm pretty excited!

Haven't played anything counter strike really since highschool on low gravity servers, outside of surf maps cause I'm way into any dumb movement mechanics.

Any major things to know going in fairly cold on the game? Any specific characters that are better for newer players?

Sage has useful abilities no matter what, but if you're playing solo, some people will harp on you for heals/rez, using rez wrong, and you can gently caress up walls p bad.

My advice is to play Phoenix. Very simple and straightfoward. Nobody cares what you are doing, your abilities are practically of zero team utility whatsoever so you can go hog wild.

I like Phoenix. Also he is probably gonna be the least competitive hero by miles. I think they could make his flame wall kill enemies with a single touch and it'd still be next to useless.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Phoenix team flashes are a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing, I'd say he's almost as likely as Sage to get raged at if you gently caress up.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

d0grent posted:

Yes, as someone who has spent a significant amount of time making levels for games I do have a good idea of how long these things take.

Yeah I’ve also assembled a grill, so I guess I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to build a nuclear reactor.

d0grent posted:

I'm honestly surprised they even released a playable version of the game with only 3 maps...

For free...

d0grent posted:

...considering the maps are one of the only ways a game like this has any variety.

Map variety is not important in a game you’re trying to present with eSports in mind. League of Legends, Rocket League, every actual sport... all played on a basically standard map. They want people to strategize on a recognizable, standard play field that the casual viewer can become familiar with.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Audax posted:

My dude, the drat CS community plays the same drat 7 maps for 20 years. People are going to play this game no matter the loving what.

There's a lot more than those 7 maps to choose from though. Just because 24/7 de dust servers exist doesn't mean 3 maps is enough.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I can't believe y'all are dogpiling on him when this threads only idea for good Valorant maps is to just literally copy CS maps.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

d0grent posted:

There's a lot more than those 7 maps to choose from though. Just because 24/7 de dust servers exist doesn't mean 3 maps is enough.

Hey, I'm still interested in playing your CS maps, can you link a few of your favorites?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe Riot can get the rights to cpl_mill.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I can't believe y'all are dogpiling on him when this threads only idea for good Valorant maps is to just literally copy CS maps.

I can't think of any maps, outside of maybe Quake or UT, that have had more playtesting done to polish timings and angles. Most of the major map features currently ingame, like mid-doors, directly copy snippets of CS maps anyway.

A poorly balanced map for a CS style game is a nightmare to play, and pooping out 7 maps that haven't been playtested to death sounds pretty unfun.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

Maybe Riot can get the rights to cpl_mill.

its in the public domain now

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Hey, I'm still interested in playing your CS maps, can you link a few of your favorites?

Hey friend. I was part of a mapping group called Dimension Studios. We made maps for cs source from like '05-'07. Seems like only a few maps still have an intact download link somewhere. Here's a small collection of map names + screenshots I was able to find from google:
https://www.moddb.com/groups/dimension-studios

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
endorsing that mans thinking is how you end up playing de_dust for years because "its an official map dude"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

d0grent posted:

the way you talk about this makes it obvious your experience with CS does not extend to the era of matchmaking, which is literally all that currently exists in Valorant.

nobody is against adding a bunch of new maps for custom servers/casual/beta testing, but the core of this game is absolutely the 40 minute competitive equivalent, and adding new maps to that without insane amounts of testing is a great way to make people not have fun.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

this is the beta, let me play test those other maps

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

d0grent posted:

this is the beta, let me play test those other maps

they dont care what you want if testing on the three most completed maps gives them better feedback

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

d0grent posted:

Hey friend. I was part of a mapping group called Dimension Studios. We made maps for cs source from like '05-'07. Seems like only a few maps still have an intact download link somewhere. Here's a small collection of map names + screenshots I was able to find from google:
https://www.moddb.com/groups/dimension-studios

Cool I'll check them out, thanks!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I don't think the main point that "3 maps isn't very many" is really wrong or anything. The full game being released with only 4 maps is pretty low, but I have no idea the size of the team working on the game, we have no idea how many maps they have in the pipeline, and so on.

For a game in development for "years", it does seem like few. It doesn't really matter a great deal to me, given they are obviously building this game for the long-haul. Different agents make the same maps play out differently, and the most important thing is the overall gameplay loop being solid.

To me, the more salient mapping question is less whether Riot will drip-feed us new maps from their ivory tower, but whether community mapping will be permissible. If it isn't already obvious, a massive amount of things in CS were community sourced. Game modes like gungame, surf, climbing maps, totally bizarro poo poo, and even a large number of maps in the competitive pool.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

congrats to omen on the monster energy sponsorship

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jeza posted:

I don't think the main point that "3 maps isn't very many" is really wrong or anything. The full game being released with only 4 maps is pretty low, but I have no idea the size of the team working on the game, we have no idea how many maps they have in the pipeline, and so on.

For a game in development for "years", it does seem like few. It doesn't really matter a great deal to me, given they are obviously building this game for the long-haul. Different agents make the same maps play out differently, and the most important thing is the overall gameplay loop being solid.

To me, the more salient mapping question is less whether Riot will drip-feed us new maps from their ivory tower, but whether community mapping will be permissible. If it isn't already obvious, a massive amount of things in CS were community sourced. Game modes like gungame, surf, climbing maps, totally bizarro poo poo, and even a large number of maps in the competitive pool.

I'm pretty sure they have no plans on allowing custom servers, so the answer is almost certainly no custom content :(

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

repiv posted:

congrats to omen on the monster energy sponsorship

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
So how does everyone feel about the anti-cheat for this game being loaded at system start and always running in the background unless you disable it and reboot?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I can disable and reboot

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Amstrad posted:

So how does everyone feel about the anti-cheat for this game being loaded at system start and always running in the background unless you disable it and reboot?

i love it i've never felt so safe and secure as i do wrapped in riot's embrace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Amstrad posted:

Now that they have the system tray icon I'm good. I'd still like a checkbox option on the launcher to uninstall automatically when I close Valorant down and just reinstall/reboot when I go to play but this is a nice middleground.

The way they handle drivers they don't like seems backwards though. They automatically disable some software if it feels like it's a vulnerability. This is leading to some people having issues trying to boot up their computers or getting BSOD because it's disabling drivers they use to control things like thermal management. I'd rather it lets everything boot up normally then flag it/not let you play until you deal with it.