Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m a toothpaste anarchist

*doesn't close cap completely, stands tube on it*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA? Plumber wanted $500/hr, I told him to leave.

quote:

Had a new countertop and sink installed, and the countertop people don’t do plumbing, so I needed someone to install the new facet and disposal on the new sink. I can do it myself, but it’s it what brings me joy, plus I’m working. So I decide to just hire a plumber.

Company I called is well regarded, I explained clearly and in detail what I needed. Dispatcher says they’ll send someone to look at it, they’ll give me an estimate, and if I have them do the work, a $70 trip fee will be waived. I agree.

They send a plumber and assistant out a couple of days later. For a faucet install, they want $199. For the disposal install, they want $199. For fitting the drain (apparently not included in your disposal install) they wanted $49. Add on another $58 for parts and supplies and tax. Total bill: $505.

An hour’s work, 2 max? I told the guy $250-500 per hour was more than a little unreasonable. He told me they don’t charge by time, they use “by task transparent pricing”. Oh, really? So the dispatcher could have told me the cost when I asked, but they decided to see if they could back me into a corner with an on the spot price and a $70 charge and no working kitchen sink hanging over my head.

I told them no, I would not let them do the work for $500. He says OK, how would I like to pay for the $70 trip fee. I declined to pay that as well; while I had agreed to it, I don’t feel compelled to pay if they’re going to be utterly unreasonable in their pricing. I told him if their manager had a problem with it they could call me.

In the end I did the work myself in about 2 hours with $10 in parts, reinforcing my feeling that $500 is a “gently caress you” price. I’m angry.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Reddit says? YTA :jerkbag:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

My (29/F) boyfriend (30/F) doesn't want my 9 y/o dog in the bedroom.

sleeping in a bed covered in dog or cat hair sucks, so yeah no pets in the bedroom.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

datajugend posted:

sleeping in a bed covered in dog or cat hair sucks, so yeah no pets in the bedroom.

Post and AV combo doesn't check out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trusting a cat owner to not lie, how naïve.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for telling my 27 year old gf that she needs to grow up and stop sleeping with a stuffed animal
[quote]
My gf recently read a book about children of narcissistic parents and realized that she was raised by narcissists who robbed her of her childhood and is now set on reparenting herself and starting from scratch. Initially I thought it was good that she’s taking steps towards improving her life since she’s been going through a lot of depression and anxiety lately but then she started acting like an actual child: for example she bought a stuffed animal and started sleeping with it and reading bedtime stories and a range of odd childish behaviour, I tried explaining that reparenting yourself is more of a mental thing and not actually regressing into a childlike state, she said that she’s aware of that but it helps with the process, last week she ordered yet another stuffed animal and I straight up told her that her behaviour is scaring me and that she needs to grow up and stop this. She got visibly upset and I felt bad about it later, after that incident she put her stuffed animals in a box in the basement but has been acting cold and distant towards me, am I the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: gf decided that she wants to reparent herself but started acting like an actual child ie sleeping with stuffed animals so I confronted her about her odd behaviour and she stopped but has been cold and distant ever since the confrontation

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Maybe not nesscery for toothpaste because it's pretty inexpensive, but if you aren't cutting open your cosmetics/lotions tubes to get that remaining ten percent out you're a bougie fat cat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Every cat is different and that's just been my experiences.

Mom volunteers with a Humane Society shelter as a "cat cuddler". Besides keeping the cats socialized, the volunteers classify the cats by personality type, and what kind and quantity of interaction they want. This keeps people who want a lap cat from adopting one that will just want to hang out on its own most of the time. At the very least, you'll have some idea of what the cat is like when you take it home.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Maybe not nesscery for toothpaste because it's pretty inexpensive, but if you aren't cutting open your cosmetics/lotions tubes to get that remaining ten percent out you're a bougie fat cat.

Perhaps, if the rate that you are going through cosmetics and lotions is perceptible, it is you who is the bourgeois?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for telling my 27 year old gf that she needs to grow up and stop sleeping with a stuffed animal

Owning soft toys and reading in bed are a problem? This has to be from "Don't talk to me about ducks, only finance and videogames matter" dude.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

Perhaps, if the rate that you are going through cosmetics and lotions is perceptible, it is you who is the bourgeois?

or maybe female u dingus

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

quote:

My gf recently read a book about children of narcissistic parents and realized that she was raised by narcissists who robbed her of her childhood and is now set on reparenting herself and starting from scratch. Initially I thought it was good that she’s taking steps towards improving her life since she’s been going through a lot of depression and anxiety lately but then she started acting like an actual child: for example she bought a stuffed animal and started sleeping with it and reading bedtime stories and a range of odd childish behaviour, I tried explaining that reparenting yourself is more of a mental thing and not actually regressing into a childlike state, she said that she’s aware of that but it helps with the process, last week she ordered yet another stuffed animal and I straight up told her that her behaviour is scaring me and that she needs to grow up and stop this. She got visibly upset and I felt bad about it later, after that incident she put her stuffed animals in a box in the basement but has been acting cold and distant towards me, am I the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: gf decided that she wants to reparent herself but started acting like an actual child ie sleeping with stuffed animals so I confronted her about her odd behaviour and she stopped but has been cold and distant ever since the confrontation

Uh, like, plenty of adults do that poo poo more as a physical comfort rather than because they really loving love their Garfield plushie. Frankly speaking as someone who sleeps horrifically restlessly I'd rather my partner hug a drat toy instead of me so I didn't end up suplexing them off the bed during my lovely sleep cycle.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Serephina posted:

I looked into the mirror and screamed and turned to dust, then I made sure to get the dust all gathered up in order to more frugally craft my soul golem.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Sunswipe posted:

Owning soft toys and reading in bed are a problem? This has to be from "Don't talk to me about ducks, only finance and videogames matter" dude.

I think the crux is the line between “cuddling up and reading in bed” and “cuddling up and reading children’s books to your teddy bear”. One is totally healthy, the other is a super red flag

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Tesseraction posted:

Uh, like, plenty of adults do that poo poo more as a physical comfort rather than because they really loving love their Garfield plushie. Frankly speaking as someone who sleeps horrifically restlessly I'd rather my partner hug a drat toy instead of me so I didn't end up suplexing them off the bed during my lovely sleep cycle.

you seem to be skipping over how the ops gf was doing this crap as an attempt to have a second childhood. most ppl dont really want to be in a relationship with an adult regressing into a child.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing it's less the holding something while she sleeps part and more the part where she is one step away from having a tea party with her stuffed animals like a five year old that is weirding out the op.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

HIJK posted:

how hard do you hit a car window to break it, jesus

I've seen someone take a baseball swing at a car window with a sledgehammer and it bounced off leaving a small scratch. Auto glass, much like the Wu-Tang Clan, ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I might be taking 'reading bedtime stories' as a silent thing as opposed to "to the teddy bear"

To be honest, OP even says to her it's about a mental state and her saying it helps with the process... like, we're not given a timescale because honestly, lovely parenting can't be fixed overnight, and doing some weird poo poo that helps your mental wellbeing doesn't seem like that big of a deal?

For perspective, when I saw the spoiler tags I assumed it was wandering around in a diaper or bringing a rattle to restaurants. Instead she has a loving plushie in bed. Seems pretty mundane for potential childhood trauma?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's hard to say how bad it is. Like if she's sitting there reading Wind in the Willows or some poo poo to herself then w/e, if she's reading Goodnight Moon to her teddy bear that's something entirely different, but both could be described as "bedtime stories" by an exasperated OP.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tesseraction posted:

I might be taking 'reading bedtime stories' as a silent thing as opposed to "to the teddy bear"

That's how it read to me. Good for her, taking charge of her own mental well-being.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole 'recovering from neglectful and abusive narcissistic parents by re-doing your childhood' thing always struck me as a recipe for disaster. Michael Jackson vibes. But I suppose it might help for emotional catharsis of a kind.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Even if she's reading stories for babies out loud to a teddy bear, if it's part of a process and it's working where's the harm?

Like there's obviously ways it could go bad (escalating behaviours, becoming stuck in an unhealthy reinforcement loop, if it's NOT actually helping but making things worse etc), but if it's a phase she's moving through with decent self awareness and self examination (ideally with the help of a professional or at least good written resources taking her through various steps with an end goal of making past traumas less powerful in her current life) I can envisage it being fine, as a temporary thing.

EDIT

quote:

The whole 'recovering from neglectful and abusive narcissistic parents by re-doing your childhood' thing always struck me as a recipe for disaster. Michael Jackson vibes. But I suppose it might help for emotional catharsis of a kind.

true, I'm no professional and it's perfectly possible there is no healthy way to do this, I'm purely talking vague hypotheticals.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It probably depends on if you ever stop or if it takes over your life. There's a lot of 'childish' things that are still fairly normal for adults to do - look at how many young adults are playing the new Animal Crossing now, and people typically aren't going to be too weirded out if you're watching She-Ra on netflix or whatever. The idea that adults have to stop doing anything childish is itself unhealthy. But... if you're an independent adult devoting a significant amount of time to watching cartoons for elementary schoolers and constantly wearing pigtails, that's a problem.

Anyway on the sliding scale of childishness reading children's books for a little bit before bed while having a teddy bear by you doesn't seem so weird as an anxiety-reducing thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jeez, why don't you grow up and go to bed like a adult? i.e. drinking yourself into a stupor and watching tv except you're not actually watching it's just making noise while you brood about the futility of life and all the things you wanted to do but didn't/couldn't.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dumb kids things can actually be really good for lulling yourself to sleep because they engage the brain but like, not very much. And if she never got a chance to experience them as an actual kid I can see the appeal.

I am curious if we're talking Goodnight Moon or The Wind in the Willows or Narnia here, but it doesn't particularly matter that much.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Chomp8645 posted:

Jeez, why don't you grow up and go to bed like a adult? i.e. drinking yourself into a stupor and watching tv except you're not actually watching it's just making noise while you brood about the futility of life and all the things you wanted to do but didn't/couldn't.

Jesus christ the accuracy.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA? Plumber wanted $500/hr, I told him to leave.

Reddit says? YTA :jerkbag:

If there is truly flat, "transparent" pricing, the dispatcher should have told the OP what the cost would be over the phone before they sent the plumber out. The OP could have gotten over the sticker shock before wasting everyone's time.

$500 for a plumber/helper for an hour isn't COMPLETELY outrageous, if parts are included.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PetraCore posted:

It probably depends on if you ever stop or if it takes over your life. There's a lot of 'childish' things that are still fairly normal for adults to do - look at how many young adults are playing the new Animal Crossing now, and people typically aren't going to be too weirded out if you're watching She-Ra on netflix or whatever. The idea that adults have to stop doing anything childish is itself unhealthy. But... if you're an independent adult devoting a significant amount of time to watching cartoons for elementary schoolers and constantly wearing pigtails, that's a problem.

Anyway on the sliding scale of childishness reading children's books for a little bit before bed while having a teddy bear by you doesn't seem so weird as an anxiety-reducing thing.

I still say it's not that bad given the writing level of most 'grown-up' entertainment isn't really any better half the time. Though there's a difference between media habits and active patterns of behaviour emulating childhood activities.

Though I remember a lot of kids books having loving kickass illustrations, Graeme Base was it? I could look at that all day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say it's not that bad given the writing level of most 'grown-up' entertainment isn't really any better half the time. Though there's a difference between media habits and active patterns of behaviour emulating childhood activities.

Though I remember a lot of kids books having loving kickass illustrations, Graeme Base was it? I could look at that all day.

As the guy said, he owned all the actual components. His $10 worth of parts just sounds like sealant, and 2 hours of DIY. Taking his post at face value then yes he was being scammed, unless he's managed to completely botch the install job.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across. As far as active patterns of behavior go, where she's at isn't bad, especially if it's something she's talked about with a therapist. I'm not a psychologist so I have no idea how helpful or useful this sort of thing is, but it sounds like she's keeping it pretty contained and honestly I think a lot of people have weird bedtime routines.

EDIT: My bedtime routine is to stay online until the time I've set as my bedtime, taking the meds that make me drowsy as a side effect a set time beforehand so I'm nodding off. Honestly not the healthiest.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

GORDON posted:

If there is truly flat, "transparent" pricing, the dispatcher should have told the OP what the cost would be over the phone before they sent the plumber out. The OP could have gotten over the sticker shock before wasting everyone's time.
That would make the most sense for literally everybody involved, yes. The fact the dispatcher didn't bother to provide even a ballpark of the "flat pricing" makes me think the OP nailed it pretty well:

quote:

So the dispatcher could have told me the cost when I asked, but they decided to see if they could back me into a corner with an on the spot price and a $70 charge and no working kitchen sink hanging over my head.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

GORDON posted:

$500 for a plumber/helper for an hour isn't COMPLETELY outrageous, if parts are included.

Assuming that the op already has the faucet and disposal, the parts needed total $20-$30 max. Add another $20 or so if new shutoffs are needed. As a general rule, the bigger companies that charge for estimates are really expensive.

My cousin has an old house that still had an actual fuse box and, as part of some renovating, wanted to upgrade to a modern breaker box. He's generally handy and knows his way around residential wiring, but given that this would involve pulling the meter and messing with the unfused service drop from the street, they wanted to hire someone who's dealt with this before. They called a company a neighbor recommended, who told them that there would be an $80 estimate fee, waived if the service is actually done. The quote they got from the company, just for replacing the service drop and installing the breaker panel, no extra wiring or anything, was $7500 for 100 amp service and $8500 for 200 amp service. Note that the amount of work is exactly the same whether you are installing a 100 or 200 amp box and the price difference of the parts isn't even $200. Oh, and the job would take two days and he might be without power overnight.

They called a relative of a friend who works in construction and got the name of the guy they usually use. $1300 including parts for 200 amp service, did the whole job and had power restored in 6 hours, and the guy was a walking encyclopedia of the electrical code so he was able to give my cousin some pointers on code compliance for his upcoming project.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Toothpaste guy needs to go for the nuclear option: TWO tubes of toothpaste.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for sending my homophobic grandpa a photo of myself and my partner kissing?

quote:

I [F25] came out as a lesbian to my family four years ago. At the time, I didn’t realize how homophobic my grandparents are, particularly my grandpa. They’re the overly-religious type who think any sexuality but straight is unnatural and against the teaching of the Lord. I have an aunt who’s the same way, as well as my parents; who have those same views to a lesser extent.

Since I came out, I’ve extremely distanced myself from my family, since any relations with them often turns into a lecture or just flat-out bullying. It really upsets me since I used to have a nice relationship with them, but I don’t want anyone in my family who doesn’t want to be there. I occasionally talk with my mom, but I no longer get invited to family functions. When I was 23 I moved across the country, and my life has significantly improved since then.

I recently met a woman, Katelyn, and we moved in together around two weeks ago. At the time, I posted a photo of us in front of our apartment building to my public Instagram page, which I wasn’t aware anyone in my family knew. Well, cue a hateful comment from my grandma, saying how disgusting our relationship was, calling us a number of slurs, and basically saying we both will and deserve to go to hell. It was up for around an hour before I saw it and deleted it. It made Katelyn cry, and mostly just pissed me off.

Well, last Saturday was my grandpa’s birthday, and out of spite I printed a photo of Katelyn and I kissing and sent it to him. Now my mom is badgering me on how horrible that was, how it ruined his day, etc. I know it was immature and not ‘taking the high road’, but they ruined my move and upset my girlfriend. I get that it wasn’t the right thing to do, but AITA?

EDIT: the comment was from my grandma’s account, but she’s the only one with Instagram and I’m sure they were both behind it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

elise the great posted:

Toothpaste guy needs to go for the nuclear option: TWO tubes of toothpaste.

That’s just two new tubes ripe for a middle squeezin.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my homophobic grandpa a photo of myself and my partner kissing?

Hell yeah, happy birthgay grandpa you hateful sack of poo poo.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Soylent Pudding posted:

Lol. That's hilarious and I hope she sends a new photo with her girlfriend to every bigoted rear end in a top hat member of her family every couple weeks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Nta this lady owns

e. Also this just pisses me right off. Why are LGBTQ+ folks the ones who are expected to "take the high road" and bigots get a pass just because they're old? gently caress this.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 30, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting money as a wedding gift?

quote:

Obligatory on mobile. Some background info I (23F) and my fiance (26M) have been together for 6 years, and we've lived together for almost all of it. We are recently engaged and sent out physical wedding invitations, and made a social media group where the guests can RSVP. His family is upper middle class, my family well below the poverty line, this being somewhat relevant since it is a "money issue."

Now, seeing as we've rented together for 6 years, we have everything we could possibly need. Family members on both sides have asked what we needed/wanted as a wedding gift.

After being told multiple times no we do not need a second/third/ninth toaster, we aren't having a shower, and we aren't taking a honeymoon. We decided to set up an account where they could deposit anonymously (or not.)

I posted in said RSVP group, saying basically by no means is a gift needed or required, (this part being stated THREE separate times) if they felt like getting something for the newlyweds, we plan on buying a house shortly after getting married, and any donations would be applied to down payment/closing costs/whatever.

Now I knew this was risky when I posted it. I expected a few disgruntled older people. But I received phone calls/messages from just about everyone over 25. (120 or so people.) By their anger you'd think I asked them individually to pay my entire down payment.

I explained it to everyone. We don't need/want small appliances. We need a home. We're not asking for you to send $5000. Send $5, $20, send nothing. It does not matter. But we don't want the freaking toaster. My parents believe I should delete the post and make a wedding registry. "What I do with the gifts after they're given is up to me." His parents sent us $1000.

EDIT to clarify, I do not think THEY are aholes for being upset, but imo I am not either for preferring cash. The only reason it was posted to the RSVP group was to address them as a whole. I was tired of explaining it to each individual person.

Now, everyone seems to be stuck on the toasters, lol. This is not about toasters. Or hand mixers. Or wine glasses. We don't need "things" at all. We would much rather receive absolutely nothing other than their presence. The "upgrades" would be nice but we recently had a flood (last year) and renters insurance bought us all new everything.

EDIT 2 I thought it was obvious, but no I did not make this rant to our guests that were upset. I apologized that they felt this way, explained we did not have a need nor space for these items, and reiterated NOTHING is "expected" of them. The option is there if they'd like to use it. If not, that's perfectly okay, as this is to celebrate us officially and legally becoming "us."