Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 01, 1939)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is finally becoming a crafty consumer!

Working Daze is probably a real conspiracy theory.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is behind the times.

Cul De Sac lives dangerously.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haha. 0->60 today!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Haha. 0->60 today!

Reminds me of my first car, drove like a boat. I still instinctively wait for about a half-mile gap in traffic before making a turn.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 01, 1939)

I can't really put my finger on why, because I'm not an artists, but Prince Valiant kind of smells of Art Nouveau. Which was perfect because Art Nouveau coincided with an interest in medieval art, and at the time the strip came out had become kind of an old-timey style, which fits a historical strip (even if the times are very far apart). This one is cute too with the personal interactions. Most strips would just ignore that wife extra stranded out in the woods but the writer didn't.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

howe_sam posted:

Grousing about George Bush and the electoral college is weirdly prophetic, but not really applicable to the 88 election, because Dukakis got absolutely hammered by HW Bush and lost the popular vote by 6 million. Still, I get the depression because three consecutive terms of GOP presidents is tough to consider.
The Electoral College seemed problematic because Dukakis did *not* get hammered by the voters- he lost by 8%, which is a clear loss, but not a rout or anything. But in spite of the relatively close vote, he lost the Electoral College by an absurd amount - 426 to 111. Many people at the time interpreted the difference as an indication the Electoral College was stacked for the Republicans - which it was, but just a little bit. Mostly it was because most big states were relatively homogenous in their partisan divisions, so if a candidate won by a moderate amount nationwide he carried almost all the big states, getting all of their electoral votes and earning a landslide in the EC. Had Dukakis won by 8% he'd have had an EC landslide almost as big.

I have no idea whether Bechdel actually knew this and was depicting Mo as ignorant of details of interstate partisan differences, or whether she didn't know it either.

In any case, *most* people didn't know about these details, so the EC landslide was interpreted as a resounding defeat for Dukakis and liberal politics in general and drove the realignment of the Democrats to be more of a centrist party. In reality a slightly more surefooted Dukakis would probably have won in 1992 and even in 1988, really (he made several significant PR flubs) but for over two decades Democrats thought it politically necessary to disavow strong liberal policies, whatever their personal inclinations. Even Clinton 2016 buried aggressive policies like putting labor representatives on corporate boards in complex white papers which were resolutely ignored by, well, almost everybody. Mo was pretty prescient in being depressed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghostlight posted:

Majinaughey

Nekonaughey is always hungry, and today he will eat the rich!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

curtadams posted:

Mo was pretty prescient in being depressed.

It's interesting to trace how Bechdel treats big election years. Just a few strips prior to this one Mo calls Dukakis a morally bankrupt white boy rhetorically interchangeable with Bush, and while he wasn't a perfect candidate it's a big tonal shift from there to here. Compare it to the strip right after the 1992 election, where there's a sense of real excitement about having a president-elect like Clinton. That excitement tapers off hard of course over the next eight years but I think Bechdel does a good job of showing her characters responding not only to politics but to political popular narratives. Nobody's totally consistent, everybody's totally believable.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

It's true. You never see the rear end in a top hat with your name on it.

Sally Forth @ Home

Skippy (November 28, 1932)

Peanuts (May 3, 1973)

Les Moore Vs. The Chinese Market That His Maudlin Non-Blockbuster Will Never Crack

Crankshaft

readingatwork Has A Favorite 9 Chickweed Lane Character Now, So Be Sure To Say A Prayer For Them.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Popeye begins the Pappy Reform Project. (November 30, 1936)

Out Our Way (May 28-30, 1934)

Life (With Skippy) catches up with the imaginary timeline that only I can see. (April 24, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Issue:

(Nate Collier (in case I haven't mentioned him before).)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

curtadams posted:

I can't really put my finger on why, because I'm not an artists, but Prince Valiant kind of smells of Art Nouveau. Which was perfect because Art Nouveau coincided with an interest in medieval art, and at the time the strip came out had become kind of an old-timey style, which fits a historical strip (even if the times are very far apart). This one is cute too with the personal interactions. Most strips would just ignore that wife extra stranded out in the woods but the writer didn't.
I think it's the strong black lines combined with the flat and muted but varied colours.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Well there it is.

Haifisch posted:

And so, none of the cheaters have to feel remotely bad about their actions. A heartwarming advice strip.

I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

It's weird. When I first asked folks in the thread what was Wilbur and Dawn's deal, they mentioned how the two were lovely people who constantly made terrible romantic decisions that also got comeuppance for it. But the last few stories have just been disappointing.

I notice that Les hasn't said a single word yet. The leech who made his fortune off his wife's suffering and death is just silently judging everyone in the room for their greed in wanting the film to make lots of money.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 28-30, 1934)

The mountains must have shook when the man who invented the shopping bag was born.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, Aloysius' extravagant lies blow up in his face immediately.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I stand by the creepy old man that can apparently teleport through time and space damnit! :argh:

Also why can he teleport through time and space? What the actual gently caress even is this comic right now?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

readingatwork posted:

I stand by the creepy old man that can apparently teleport through time and space damnit! :argh:

Also why can he teleport through time and space? What the actual gently caress even is this comic right now?

He's an alien and maybe God (or God and maybe and alien? I seem to remember jokes about him coming from another planet and interacting with another alien disguised as an old man). You might think that sounds interesting, but McEldowney seeks to disappoint. It always leads back to loving.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

catlord posted:

He's an alien and maybe God (or God and maybe and alien? I seem to remember jokes about him coming from another planet and interacting with another alien disguised as an old man). You might think that sounds interesting, but McEldowney seeks to disappoint. It always leads back to loving.
I want to say he's an alien and the other guy was God.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Well there it is.

Tryst of the Magi

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

*raises hand*

Okay I have a follow up question.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life scores a hat trick of laziness this week! Every strip is art recycled from within the month of April!

Bonus gif 1

Bonus gif 2

Bonus gif 3

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

No, God is a whole separate guy from Thorax's Pappy (the tiny old man he is sometimes seen with). God is a balding mustachiod man in a suit who we saw when the old nun had some weird metaphysical experience while one of her former nuns was giving birth.

:suicide101:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto demonstrates something that I feel should be re-iterated in today's world - capital will always seek to defend itself, and is not a friend of justice, ethics, morals or democracy, or Corto gets in a sticky situation or Corto meets a man who's free, nothings worrying him <trumpets!>

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

coronatae posted:

No, God is a whole separate guy from Thorax's Pappy (the tiny old man he is sometimes seen with). God is a balding mustachiod man in a suit who we saw when the old nun had some weird metaphysical experience while one of her former nuns was giving birth.

:suicide101:

The former nun was having a difficult birth which "God" was going to turn into a cockroach in the womb, because he's a fundamentally awful rear end in a top hat...a different type of awful than every other character in the strip. To demonstrate the next-level logic of 9CL storytelling, it was the pregnant's burden, fear and labor pains, so of course the delivery room vision was had by the old lady standing off to one side.

I want to use what's left of my shelter-in-place time to learn a skill that pushes this horseshit out of my easy-access memory.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

One of the fascinating things about 9 Chickweed Lane is how no matter how bad your memories of it are, there's always bits that you forgot that just make it worse. Holbrook's pretty similar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 1, 2020

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/10/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/5/46

Mopsy 12/15/42

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

EasyEW posted:

readingatwork Has A Favorite 9 Chickweed Lane Character Now, So Be Sure To Say A Prayer For Them.

McEldowney's view of women is really gross. Edda has just given birth to twins. A capable writer could have probably gotten something out of a storyline of "new mother of twins feels strange in her new role/body and needs to adjust" but McEldowney just... no. Edda could have just as well not been pregnant, it hasn't changed anything.

And everyone in this comic is permanently horny, I don't understand why Edda feels the need to sex herself up. She could be a sentient sack of potatoes in a dark room and Amos would probably try to get it on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Doll House Ghost posted:

And everyone in this comic is permanently horny, I don't understand why Edda feels the need to sex herself up. She could be a sentient sack of potatoes in a dark room and Amos would probably try to get it on.

McEldowney hasn't been laid since the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm really enjoying Zelda. (The strip, the character is still a poo poo but she's gradually getting better now that she's dumped the dead weight that was Cesar.) Nova in particular I find to be a really good character: she's successful because she puts in a whole lot of work, but people think she gets ahead just on being pretty. And she's a fundamentally insecure person who just wants her friends to acknowledge her.

Thank you for posting it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
honest critique abt zelda: i greatly dislike it. i am unsure how contemporary it is (how old are the strips we're reading now?) bc if these strips are older and are ur-examples of these kind of concepts+ideas being put to paper i guess thats revolutionary but if not then these ideas have been said, done and explored better by literally a billion other better comics by a thousand other women.

e: lol cheer up boss dharma owns

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Forget all that, Corto. What's Barney Google up to?

Anyway, in Juliet Jones, Eve, whose business experience is working at the linen counter, is asked for her opinion.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Definitely Don Jr.

punching out a Don Jr. expy is the best thing The Phantom has done since the Swedish team had him gently caress up a Neo Nazi at a pride rally a couple of years ago

truly the hero of the people

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

punching out a Don Jr. expy is the best thing The Phantom has done since the Swedish team had him gently caress up a Neo Nazi at a pride rally a couple of years ago

truly the hero of the people

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

The song in the penultimate panel. This is iskelmä, Finnish version of German schlager-music.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side
V0T4Cvhl.jpg
“And so I ask the jury—is that the face of a mass murderer?”

gp3qhykl.jpg

MHLul82l.jpg
“Twelve sacrifices already this week. … Thank Goran it’s Friday!”

qIiU4j4l.jpg
“The problem, Mr. Fudd, is that you’ve been having a subliminal effect on everyone in the factory. We’re proud of our product, Mr. Fudd, and there’s no company in the world that builds a finer skwoo dwivuh. … Dang! Now you got me doing it!”

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 25, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Our beers are graded I-IV, with IV being the strongest regular option, while I is low alcohol.

If you don't care about the brand you can usually order whatever is the bar/restaurant's most popular III or IV beer by saying the number (in real life there is enough nuance that mistaking it for quantity would not happen)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

That's a pretty good "Oh, it's on now, bitch" face there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side
gp3qhykl.jpg

Jesus Christ. I mean, that's an amazing joke, but holy poo poo. :stare:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like Zelda. Please keep posting it!