Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

fun hater posted:

thank you so much for posting these with the unedited book versions side by side now, which i know is an extra weird step but i am absolutely fascinated by the editing choices being made here.

It's actually kinda fun. I would have been posting them sooner, but there were a few weeks not in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

curtadams posted:

I can't really put my finger on why, because I'm not an artists, but Prince Valiant kind of smells of Art Nouveau. Which was perfect because Art Nouveau coincided with an interest in medieval art, and at the time the strip came out had become kind of an old-timey style, which fits a historical strip (even if the times are very far apart). This one is cute too with the personal interactions. Most strips would just ignore that wife extra stranded out in the woods but the writer didn't.

There's a definite Maxfield Parrish vibe to Foster's style. His artwork and compostions were mind-blowing and lush.

Second only to Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland.

Keeping in mind that the format of Sunday papers up in to the early 70s was enormous. The comics pages in them were ridiculous: 4-6 pages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/lubchansky/status/1256252540297101314?s=21

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 08, 1939)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 08, 1939)

I love how King Arthur invited Val to tell them about Saxons and instead he started drawing on their walls and jumped onto the table and tracked mud on that fancy tablecloth. No wonder King Arthur was all "ughh, you again?" when he saw him. :allears:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns Loretta kicks so much rear end

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

On the Fastrack continues to make me furious.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Noooooo use soap you need soap!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/11/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/6/46

Mopsy 12/16/42

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

For the record it is really, really hard to qualify for a home office deduction. If you just started using a home office for work for the pandemic, it's almost certainly impossible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 2, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

gleebster posted:

Forget all that, Corto. What's Barney Google up to?

uh...

idgi. But thanks for enjoying the comic!

Anyway, onto today's edition of Corto Maltese: Tale as old as time/Song as old as rhyme/Landlords and police, or Yeah, yeah, Butch, we've all played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (and if you haven't, you should!), or Gee whiz, Estevez, maybe it's because you've been killing people related to this case left, right and centre? Did you think it might be that?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Scary Go Round: The Great Unboxing

Modesty Blaise

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Colorist clearly not paying much attention to the script, huh?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Brooke has always been horny, but it seems to me like his stroke broke his brain and turned the horny dial all the way up to eleven and now the only storylines are about loving. (We used to get storylines about dancing, and the mom being a really mean biology professor, and cats, and Edda interacting with her gay roommate, and awkward flirting with Amos, and also loving.)

I think also at some point, he stopped trying to appeal to a common audience and just started writing directly for his gross "Honourable Master" fans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

David Icke's starting to have palpitations here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I love how King Arthur invited Val to tell them about Saxons and instead he started drawing on their walls and jumped onto the table and tracked mud on that fancy tablecloth. No wonder King Arthur was all "ughh, you again?" when he saw him. :allears:
300 SAXON SHIPS
IMPENETRABLE MARSH

jeez Val if you think we're hosed just say so.

On the other hand, also GOOD BATTLEFIELD - this is a man who knows what he's looking for in a map.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is just gross and invasive on so many levels.

Jesus Christ, Holbrook. Either do some actual goddamn research on ways to avoid COVD-19 if you're going to make a joke, or don't even write about it at all.

Does that construction worker have a "Brexit Now" tattoo? I guess that's another reason why Allison memory-holed this story.

My Lovely Horse posted:

300 SAXON SHIPS
IMPENETRABLE MARSH

jeez Val if you think we're hosed just say so.

On the other hand, also GOOD BATTLEFIELD - this is a man who knows what he's looking for in a map.

Look, Val's just being proactive. The Singing Sword isn't going to kill any Saxons by itself.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 23, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 23, 1998)

Garfield Classic (September 23, 1988)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
In Juliet Jones, Eve is just starting to get an inkling that perhaps Kiwi and J Jonah are possibly a couple of bums.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yeah, Holbrook, licking your hands is the thing to do right now. Go for it.

:rip:

Also, the Joe Exotic in Holbrook's hell world is an actual tiger that forces other tigers to breed/inbreed and kills the cubs when they get too old to handle. And so much more.
This is fun stuff.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah, Holbrook, licking your hands is the thing to do right now. Go for it.

:rip:

Also, the Joe Exotic in Holbrook's hell world is an actual tiger that forces other tigers to breed/inbreed and kills the cubs when they get too old to handle. And so much more.
This is fun stuff.

I can guarantee that Holbrook only heard the guy's name and the show's name.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nemi

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2020

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

MariusLecter posted:

This is fun stuff.

It says something about Holbrook that I took you seriously for a few seconds.

From one hellworld to the next: the 1920s. In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, note that not only is Aloysius wearing a two-piece bathing suit, he's still smoking even though he's waist-deep in the ocean. (Yes, the previous strip said they were 65 miles from the nearest body of water. What's your point?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 7, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So we’re doing Nemi now? Sigh, okay...carry on.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm coming around now that she's ditched Cesar. It's a nice character growth arc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (September 23, 2008)

And this one wins the award for best one-strip joke I've seen in a while. :golfclap:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
August 13th & 14th, 1981
And we're back into 'not in the books' territory. Seems to be most of the stuff to do with Di and Charles...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rip sopapilla, she got whitewashed and then shot in her comic

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

So we’re doing Nemi now? Sigh, okay...carry on.

Nemi

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess getting a spoon and scooping out the pepper pile before it had a chance to dissipate was too much for these idiots to handle.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/1/00

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 7/7/40

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

Anyone else get the feeling Collins' kids are making him a bit squirrely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hey, Pud.

Oh Evanses! Never change.