Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I picked up a client who is using Parse, which I didn't even know still existed. I don't have access to the host, it looks like you can only make database schema changes through a web portal? And then there's this gem on the one-page Official Parse Server Guide

quote:

Join tables are resolved in memory, there is no performance improvements using Postgres over MongoDB for relations or pointers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

:smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u have an xml that doesn't have an xsd you can create an xsd for it and then use that to generate your classes.

the only problem would be if they add elements or attributes later on you'd need to add those by regenerating the xsd and classes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

somehow i don't think trying to back-generate the xsd for the entire websphere configuration model would be very successful

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if y'all think xml is bad you should check out edi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
websphere almost certainly has xsds if its something that's part of websphere.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I did not know this, certainly makes the network stack fun,

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1256303827264962560

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

if y'all think xml is bad you should check out edi

x12 isn't really human readable, but it has some useful concepts that xml doesn't like transactional data so you can reliably load individual sections of a file even when other sections fail.

you can certainly build those on top of xml, but they're a core of x12/edi

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
xsdeez nutz

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

if u have an xml that doesn't have an xsd you can create an xsd for it and then use that to generate your classes.

the only problem would be if they add elements or attributes later on you'd need to add those by regenerating the xsd and classes.

lmao this is the worst idea ever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its better than manually parsing xml

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wheany posted:

here is my xml parser for the above: /<name>([^<]*)<\/name>/.exec(input)

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Shaggar posted:

x12 isn't really human readable, but it has some useful concepts that xml doesn't like transactional data so you can reliably load individual sections of a file even when other sections fail.

you can certainly build those on top of xml, but they're a core of x12/edi

x12 would be fine if x12 were the be-all and end-all of EDI, or if companies actually stuck to (any) spec. EDI is all of the problems of XML in a set of lesser known formats.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

even better is just putting the xml in the trash where it belongs

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Shaggar posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

websphere almost certainly has xsds if its something that's part of websphere.

i checked lmao, no one could find them

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao this is the worst idea ever

Shaggar posted:

i've done this before, then hand edited the generated xsds before generating the classes :tif:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:laffo: My ex-team lead decided to implement rotating ssh keys on the devices out in the field because I’m the 3rd employee to leave and they are worried that ex-employees could potentially use the field devices to get into the network. He has bricked one of them on accident.

I advocated for a VPN for all of our services and devices for over a year which they kept saying was too much to do, but apparently writing scripts to implement rotating keys on a daily basis for 500 field units and a bunch of servers is not too much work.

What’s even better is they aren’t changing the keys to the gitlab runners. :allears:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i tried generating xsds from our xml once and it was unusable. because our xml is horrifying

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

i tried generating xsds from our xml once and it was unusable. because xml is horrifying

Fixed that for you.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah. our data model is a clusterfuck

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
born to query
data model is a gently caress
join em all 1989
i am sql man
410,757,864,530 rows returned

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

more like

DELETE CASCADE posted:

born to interop
schema is a gently caress
parse em all 1989
i am xml man
410,757,864,530 LINE BREAKS

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i think we can extend this

born to embed
pointer is a gently caress
fork() em all 1989
i am c man
410,757,864,530 SIGSEGVS

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
extensible meme language

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
xml is fine.

json is the format for the poorly educated wannabe web "programmer"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

born to REST
number is a gently caress
eval em all 1989
i am json man
410,757,864,530 dead browser tabs

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Nomnom Cookie posted:

born to REST
number is a gently caress
eval em all 1989
i am json man
410,757,864,530 dead browser tabs

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

xml is fine.

json is the format for the poorly educated wannabe web "programmer"

any time i hear someone call themselves a "web developer" i only hear "clown" and to date it hasn't let me down

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

i think we can extend this

born to embed
pointer is a gently caress
fork() em all 1989
i am c man
410,757,864,530 SIGSEGVS

usually not ok to post an entire signature block but I’ll make an exception in your case

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I really like GraphQL, it’s actually great. We used it at my last job, and once you stop using it like REST in the front end (don’t hide your queries deep in components, but have them in page components) it gets really awesome. Not having a dependency on backend programmers to add any stuff already in the schema to a query is really liberating.

We actually implemented a “BFF” graphql using node on top of the backend rest api. Which felt weird in the beginning, but once I realized that I would never have to do multiple fetches and stitch together the result of a bazillion promises I just stopped worrying and embraced GraphQL.

It’s like an ORM for APIs, but good because you expose the schema and have to implement the hard parts that ORMs gently caress up. And GraphQL does the tedious bullshit.

Now at my new job they also “use” GraphQL, only instead of having proper edges not related objects they just expose some foreign key property. So it’s basically useless. Looking at the schema in a visualizer shows a root query node with 4 queries, one of them has another node attached. And one of those queries was actually a mutation. Luckily the team responded positively when I showed them how wrong everything was.

Still a bit worrying how you can decide to start to use a new technology and make almost negative effort to understand it. They have done pretty neat REST APIs, and if you translated the GraphQL schema to something familiar they would have never accepted it. But now their unfamiliarity had them blind to the horrid thing they had created.

Anyone else work with GraphQL?

I’m agonizing over a thing right now, most of the publically available schemas look like this:
code:
type Query {
  allFoos: [Foo!]!
  foo(id: ID!): Foo!
  allBar...
  bar(...
}
But I much prefer
code:
type Query {
  foo: FooQuery!
  bar: BarQuery!
}

type FooQuery {
  all: [Foo!]!
  fromId(id: ID!): Foo!
}

type BarQuery {
}
Is that bad?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wheany posted:

here is my xml parser for the above: /<name>([^<]*)<\/name>/.exec(input)

terrible programming: here is my xml parser

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

terrible programming: here is my xml parser

well if we're going with that, the regex would probably fit in the title as well

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dick traceroute posted:

extensible meme language

template meta-memeing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

leper khan posted:

template meta-memeing

internet's been doing that for over 20 years

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

zokie posted:

I really like GraphQL, it’s actually great. We used it at my last job, and once you stop using it like REST in the front end (don’t hide your queries deep in components, but have them in page components) it gets really awesome. Not having a dependency on backend programmers to add any stuff already in the schema to a query is really liberating.

We actually implemented a “BFF” graphql using node on top of the backend rest api. Which felt weird in the beginning, but once I realized that I would never have to do multiple fetches and stitch together the result of a bazillion promises I just stopped worrying and embraced GraphQL.

It’s like an ORM for APIs, but good because you expose the schema and have to implement the hard parts that ORMs gently caress up. And GraphQL does the tedious bullshit.

Now at my new job they also “use” GraphQL, only instead of having proper edges not related objects they just expose some foreign key property. So it’s basically useless. Looking at the schema in a visualizer shows a root query node with 4 queries, one of them has another node attached. And one of those queries was actually a mutation. Luckily the team responded positively when I showed them how wrong everything was.

Still a bit worrying how you can decide to start to use a new technology and make almost negative effort to understand it. They have done pretty neat REST APIs, and if you translated the GraphQL schema to something familiar they would have never accepted it. But now their unfamiliarity had them blind to the horrid thing they had created.

I’m agonizing over a thing right now, most of the publically available schemas look like this:
code:
type Query {
  allBar...
  bar(...
}
But I much prefer
code:
type Query {
}

type FooQuery {
  all: [Foo!]!
  fromId(id: ID!): Foo!
}

type BarQuery {
}
Is that bad?

no not at all. we do it the same way.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i like graphql because we've reinvented ad-hoc field selection multiple times for our apis and graphql does all of that

some people apparently do not like graphql because they think it's a query language like sql or datalog and they never bothered to check

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
that could be because it's called "graph query language"

making it the first unhelpfully-named artifact in programming history

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NecroBob posted:

any time i hear someone call themselves a "web developer" i only hear "clown" and to date it hasn't let me down

i almost fell into the web dev pit during my first two job hops when i was tempted to just take any job due to desperation. EXTREMELY glad i stuck with backend databases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zokie posted:

code:
type Query {
  allBar...
  bar(...
}
But I much prefer
code:
type Query {