Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Germany's good war is the Napoleonic war, I think. The German historiography IIRC gives a lot of credit to Blucher at Waterloo.

quote:

Under what definition would even 100% nationalization of your economic resources (note, not even the USSR achieved this, domestic consumption of GDP was reduced to only 52% during the peak of the 5 Year Plans) not be a liberal democracy if you still hold regular free elections and uphold the rule of law?
The basic argument as I understand it would be that if the state controls that much of people's lives the elections would be inherently unfree. There isn't enough left of the resources of the country that isn't under the control of the government for an opposition to exist that isn't already part of the government.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xakura posted:

(Edit: ^^^^ Not to say serbia was "good guys", but once the war broke out, they are not fighting a war of profit and conquest.)

Serbia was pretty explicitly fighting a war of "Everything in southeast Europe is actually Serbia" with a side of genocide against everyone who disagreed, and had been for the last few decades, they just didn't want A-H to start a fully fledged war at this particular time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

The basic argument as I understand it would be that if the state controls that much of people's lives the elections would be inherently unfree. There isn't enough left of the resources of the country that isn't under the control of the government for an opposition to exist that isn't already part of the government.

It's more that in a planned economy power always falls to the executive conducing the planning and even with the best of intentions nobody has ever proposed a model that would allow democratic representatives to exert any meaningful control over it.

If you hold free and fair elections that enable elected representatives to gather and then do absolutely nothing because the state decision making apparatus has divorced them from the process then you aren't a democracy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

I watched the They shall not grow old and it got me thinking that how is the First World War remembered in Germany? Because I think that you could think of it as a Germany's "good war" because everyone was fighting for their Empire and imperial profits so hardly anyone can say they were the good guy. Or is it thought of simply as a precursor to the second?

If you mean in the general population I don't think many people care. Definitely nothing approaching the poppy thing the anglos do. Feeling bad is covered by WW2 so it's unclear what its function could even be. Occasionally there's a Red Baron movie with dashing doomed pilots and cute nurses and all that schlock.

HEY GUNS posted:

what the HELL. you were around when it was around! how do you forget an entire nation (kinda)!

Far away, never did anything important? Idk :shobon:

I mean you know from your time here how GDR cultural memories are still basically nonexistent in unified German cultural institutions, and "German" history in TV shows or whatever is basically always implicitly understood to be FRG history. It just sorta slips my mind.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you nationalize, or even semi-nationalize, 90% of your economy you are no longer a liberal democracy. For Iraq, doing this for the oil sector would mean that 60-95% of the economy be under public ownership, it would be ridiculous to call that a liberal democracy, the state controls the economy!

You know that Iraq is a real country right? With an oil industry that was nationalised in the 70s, just like every other opec member. Iraqi government spending is 32% of GDP, compared to around 50% for most European countries, and 35% in the USA. There is absolutely no way you could argue that the Iraqi state controls 100% of the economy.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

It's more that in a planned economy power always falls to the executive conducing the planning and even with the best of intentions nobody has ever proposed a model that would allow democratic representatives to exert any meaningful control over it.

If you hold free and fair elections that enable elected representatives to gather and then do absolutely nothing because the state decision making apparatus has divorced them from the process then you aren't a democracy.

Doesn't that describe most Liberal Democracies now being governed by Neo-Liberal principles?

Neo-Liberalism whole thing is the government gets out of the way of the market. Elected Executives and representatives are giving up decision making to the Market. The Market is undemocratic and controlled by Capital.

So basically there are no Democracies right now?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Serbia was pretty explicitly fighting a war of "Everything in southeast Europe is actually Serbia" with a side of genocide against everyone who disagreed, and had been for the last few decades, they just didn't want A-H to start a fully fledged war at this particular time.

France and Russia had agreed to territorial expansion prior to the war started. Both had agreed in principle that a crisis in the Balkans would be used to spark the war. Their thinking was it was perferable to start the war while the UK was aligned with them.

Belgium was one of the most brutal colonial powers.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

axelord posted:

France and Russia had agreed to territorial expansion prior to the war started. Both had agreed in principle that a crisis in the Balkans would be used to spark the war. Their thinking was it was perferable to start the war while the UK was aligned with them.

Belgium was one of the most brutal colonial powers.

Found von Moltkes alt account.

Belgium being poo poo does not excuse Germany from invading a neutral country. France and Russia planning on using a crisis in the Balkans to expand their territory does not excuse Germany from using a crisis in the Balkans to expand their territory.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

You know that Iraq is a real country right? With an oil industry that was nationalised in the 70s, just like every other opec member. Iraqi government spending is 32% of GDP, compared to around 50% for most European countries, and 35% in the USA. There is absolutely no way you could argue that the Iraqi state controls 100% of the economy.

Iraq wasn't a liberal democracy at the time.

axelord posted:

Doesn't that describe most Liberal Democracies now being governed by Neo-Liberal principles?

Neo-Liberalism whole thing is the government gets out of the way of the market. Elected Executives and representatives are giving up decision making to the Market. The Market is undemocratic and controlled by Capital.

That's not what neoliberalism means, but this whole discussion is way too D&D at this point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

axelord posted:

No. We should stop this derail but the obvious mistake you are making is that 'The Market' is not a real person.

There is a difference between 'not being free' (no we aren't free under Capitalism, we're all subject to a myriad of relationships and power dynamics) and 'being the subject of an individual with enormous concentrated executive power to make decisions about every aspect of your life'.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Xakura posted:

Found von Moltkes alt account.

Belgium being poo poo does not excuse Germany from invading a neutral country. France and Russia planning on using a crisis in the Balkans to expand their territory does not excuse Germany from using a crisis in the Balkans to expand their territory.

Belgium rolling into the Congo chopping off hands. Belgium: "This is awesome"

Germany rolling into Belgium shooting civilians. Belgium: "drat this sucks"

World War 1 was more of a war of choice. Germany wanted to fight now because they were afraid a more powerful Russia in the future that would put them at a disadvantage later. France and Russia wanted to fight now because they had Britain on their side. Britain was fixated on Germany being their main threat.

All sides planned to take territory from the losers when they won.

If was a stupid war that got a lot of people killed and lead to a even more devastating war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was playing Battlefield 3 and there was a throwaway line of dialogue from this FBI / DHS agent about how he lost his buddies to a rocket attack in Bosnia, and it got me thinking: did the US ever get involved in any of the Balkans conflicts in the 90s where you would have had A. American boots-on-the-ground, and B. in close enough proximity to forces hostile to them that they could have been hit by a rocket attack, that would have made this line of dialogue plausible?

If so, which conflict/which deployment might that have been?

I ask because I was under the impression that most US involvement was in the form of air strikes, and that even ground troops were "UN peacekeepers" and wouldn't have involved US military servicemen per se.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

axelord posted:

If you think that the German invasion of Belgium was linked in any way to the brutality of Belgian colonialism in the Congo or that random Belgium civilians had it coming because of said colonial brutality, I have some bad news for you about Germany's general outlook on Africa and its policies there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

axelord posted:

This is not how cause and effect work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was playing Battlefield 3 and there was a throwaway line of dialogue from this FBI / DHS agent about how he lost his buddies to a rocket attack in Bosnia, and it got me thinking: did the US ever get involved in any of the Balkans conflicts in the 90s where you would have had A. American boots-on-the-ground, and B. in close enough proximity to forces hostile to them that they could have been hit by a rocket attack, that would have made this line of dialogue plausible?

I ask because I was under the impression that most US involvement was in the form of air strikes, and that even ground troops were "UN peacekeepers" and wouldn't have involved US military servicemen per se.

This is a question about special forces. You aren't going to get a full answer for obvious reasons, but here's a quick google research result: https://fas.org/man/eprint/ramirez.pdf

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

No. We should stop this derail but the obvious mistake you are making is that 'The Market' is not a real person.

There is a difference between 'not being free' (no we aren't free under Capitalism, we're all subject to a myriad of relationships and power dynamics) and 'being the subject of an individual with enormous concentrated executive power to make decisions about every aspect of your life'.

Markets are people my dude. A person decides to sell, a person decides to buy, there's no magic just very real people making decisions.

In Markets there are people with a lot of power and people with very limited power. Jeff Bezos has more power in the Market than all other American but a few with comparable wealth.

When elected government officials give up power in favor of "Market based solutions" they are abdicating power to a market dominated by powerful concentrations of wealth. I don't think it's as different as you do.

FDR during WWII had that power you are talking about, but he was elected. No one voted for Bezos.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Grenrow posted:

If you think that the German invasion of Belgium was linked in any way to the brutality of Belgian colonialism in the Congo or that random Belgium civilians had it coming because of said colonial brutality, I have some bad news for you about Germany's general outlook on Africa and its policies there.

German children didn't deserve to starve to death, Belgium civilians didn't deserve to be slaughtered, the people of the Congo didn't deserve to be brutalized.

No sympathy for the Belgium or German State.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some US servicepeople were deployed as part of UNPROFOR and subsequent operations in Bosnia but I can't find any records of casualties. Of course, if he was with UNPROFOR then he might well have been friendly with some of the 160ish international casualties or even some locals.

This is, of course, the list of acknowledged operations. I'm sure the snake-eaters were having a good time over there and that feels like a more likely career path into FBI Interrogator than being part of a MASH team.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

axelord posted:

Markets are people my dude. A person decides to sell, a person decides to buy, there's no magic just very real people making decisions.

In Markets there are people with a lot of power and people with very limited power. Jeff Bezos has more power in the Market than all other American but a few with comparable wealth.

When elected government officials give up power in favor of "Market based solutions" they are abdicating power to a market dominated by powerful concentrations of wealth. I don't think it's as different as you do.

FDR during WWII had that power you are talking about, but he was elected. No one voted for Bezos.

When people talk about market based solutions there is a wide range of what they can be talking about, with many *specifically* advocating enhancing the competitiveness of the market by tackling powerful concentrations of power and wealth, offering support to startups and smaller players, and punishing bad actors. You are describing anarcho-capitalism. The market != private sector.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 2, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

This is a question about special forces. You aren't going to get a full answer for obvious reasons, but here's a quick google research result: https://fas.org/man/eprint/ramirez.pdf

FrangibleCover posted:

Some US servicepeople were deployed as part of UNPROFOR and subsequent operations in Bosnia but I can't find any records of casualties. Of course, if he was with UNPROFOR then he might well have been friendly with some of the 160ish international casualties or even some locals.

This is, of course, the list of acknowledged operations. I'm sure the snake-eaters were having a good time over there and that feels like a more likely career path into FBI Interrogator than being part of a MASH team.

Thank you both. This is, of course, a work of fiction, so I wasn't really expecting an exact match, but that's good enough for me.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, there were a decent number (thousands) of US soldiers and marines over the years of IFOR and later KFOR who would have been actually on the ground in the Balkans in a position where an RPG was a legitimate threat, however, I'm not sure if there were ever casualties along those lines. There were some tense confrontations and other NATO members did have some combat, but the only US ground casualties I can remember were from accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twq5x5i1JPc

This is pretty in-depth for IFOR, and I assume you can find something similar for KFOR.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Fangz posted:

When people talk about market based solutions there is a wide range of what they can be talking about, with many *specifically* advocating enhancing the competitiveness of the market by tackling powerful concentrations of power and wealth, offering support to startups and smaller players, and punishing bad actors. You are describing anarcho-capitalism. The market != private sector.

True. Especially in a military thread, it's very true that markets and governments interact in ways that aren't cleanly reducible to slogans or ideology. Pick your favorite stupendously wealthy billionaire, he or she is probably that wealthy due to ownership of a corporation, which is basically a legal structure that the government invented and could change. Like taxi medallions or transferrable machine guns or security clearances, the value in the market is not necessary coming purely from private forces.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To include actual content, here's a picture of the most handsomest admiral ever:

Parry, riposte!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I think the Danes or Swedes got themselves into a tank battle during the Yugoslavian breakup

Lots of stuff that I can't remember reading in the news about at the time

e: Every time I try to link to the wiki article the scandi crossed through "o" gets broken, but Googling for "operation bollebank" with a normal "o" works just fine.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 3, 2020

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

this whole discussion is way too D&D at this point.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

glynnenstein posted:

Yes, there were a decent number (thousands) of US soldiers and marines over the years of IFOR and later KFOR who would have been actually on the ground in the Balkans in a position where an RPG was a legitimate threat, however, I'm not sure if there were ever casualties along those lines.
Point of order, there was no risk whatsoever from RPG attack during the Yugoslav Wars. They didn't have them! Yugoslav light anti tank weapons were mostly derived from Western designs with marginal Soviet Bloc influence.

I think in the context of Bosnia a Rocket Attack is more likely to refer to some description of MRL, like a Plamen or perhaps one of the concealable Oganj rocket launching trucks that could have a canopy pulled over the launcher to make it look like a standard covered truck. The use of massed LATW against fortifications or infantry positions is much more of a GWOT thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FrangibleCover posted:

Point of order, there was no risk whatsoever from RPG attack during the Yugoslav Wars. They didn't have them! Yugoslav light anti tank weapons were mostly derived from Western designs with marginal Soviet Bloc influence.

The Yugoslav army didn't have them. But the moment the Balkan wars started the whole region was flooded with surplus weapons from the ex-USSR. Milita groups were using RPGs all over the place.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

If you mean in the general population I don't think many people care. Definitely nothing approaching the poppy thing the anglos do. Feeling bad is covered by WW2 so it's unclear what its function could even be. Occasionally there's a Red Baron movie with dashing doomed pilots and cute nurses and all that schlock.
you don't see all the awful little small town lists of names as public remembrance? i kind of do. i wouldn't call ww1 your "good war" because yall aren't allowed to think of wars like that any more (that's definitely the wars against Napoleon, which invented romantic nationalism. Please pay no attention to all the germans who fought for him, and did not believe in romantic nationalism), but I have definitely seen memorials, and had friends tell me you were undefeated in the field.

quote:

Far away, never did anything important? Idk :shobon:

I mean you know from your time here how GDR cultural memories are still basically nonexistent in unified German cultural institutions, and "German" history in TV shows or whatever is basically always implicitly understood to be FRG history. It just sorta slips my mind.
they don't have your memories either, you know. it's an entire other country over there with an entire other past, and their own opinions. come hang out

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
anyway, it came from peer review. i always get some version of this:

1. i loved your writing, it's vivid and immediate. it's "real."
2. remove the words that made it read this way.

had a guy get mad over "macho" once. in this article, they want me to remove "bent" as a synonym for "corrupt"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
S-51 and other open high caliber SPGs

Queue: SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman, M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army, T-54, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, T-44 production, Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades, T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5

Available for request:

:ussr:
Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44
IS-2 post-war modifications NEW

:911:
HMC M7 Priest

:godwin:
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

:finland:
Lahti L-39

:france:
AMR 35 ZT

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

had friends tell me you were undefeated in the field.
WW1: Germany's Vietnam

Anyway, if Germans didn't have a romanticised view of WW1 why does the thread get into an argument about whether Germany started WW1 every three months?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY GUNS posted:

anyway, it came from peer review. i always get some version of this:

1. i loved your writing, it's vivid and immediate. it's "real."
2. remove the words that made it read this way.

had a guy get mad over "macho" once. in this article, they want me to remove "bent" as a synonym for "corrupt"

Hegel keep this draft for the inevitable pop history book.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jack2142 posted:

Hegel keep this draft for the inevitable pop history book.
i'm not going to remove it. i'm going to write a detailed paragraph explaining why not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

FrangibleCover posted:

WW1: Germany's Vietnam

Anyway, if Germans didn't have a romanticised view of WW1 why does the thread get into an argument about whether Germany started WW1 every three months?

It's probably not the Germans starting that argument.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

you don't see all the awful little small town lists of names as public remembrance? i kind of do. i wouldn't call ww1 your "good war" because yall aren't allowed to think of wars like that any more (that's definitely the wars against Napoleon, which invented romantic nationalism. Please pay no attention to all the germans who fought for him, and did not believe in romantic nationalism), but I have definitely seen memorials, and had friends tell me you were undefeated in the field.

I know those memorials ofc but I've never seen anyone interact with one.

quote:

they don't have your memories either, you know. it's an entire other country over there with an entire other past, and their own opinions. come hang out

eeeehhhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

eeeehhhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
solyanka and pelmeni are good, and beer is 45 cents a pint

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

solyanka and pelmeni are good, and beer is 45 cents a pint

Was zum Fick how does that work??

e: the beer thing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Was zum Fick how does that work??

e: the beer thing
you go to the grocery store

you buy a beer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm not going to remove it. i'm going to write a detailed paragraph explaining why not.

Are you going to preface it with "with all due respect,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

you go to the grocery store

you buy a beer

Ahhh, at ze Supermarkt. Yeah that's just normal.