Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I've noticed with enrage warrior I really need to pay attention to if I'm the beatdown and then what/when I can put together a board swing or a big finish. Depending on if I'm the more aggressive deck.

Specific question: what is the plan for big single minions? Think priestess of Fury or when druid drops one of their big minions

A DH dropped priestess of Fury two turns in a row and totally swung the game on me. Maybe that's just a "you're F-ed" situation if I don't have lethal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I've noticed with enrage warrior I really need to pay attention to if I'm the beatdown and then what/when I can put together a board swing or a big finish. Depending on if I'm the more aggressive deck.

Specific question: what is the plan for big single minions? Think priestess of Fury or when druid drops one of their big minions

A DH dropped priestess of Fury two turns in a row and totally swung the game on me. Maybe that's just a "you're F-ed" situation if I don't have lethal?

Bloodboil Brute mana reduction calculations.

Also vs. Priestess of Fury specifically, a Bomb Wrangler on board does good work, as does doing an Armorsmith+Risky Skipper turn.

You're almost never shooting for a charge combo kill vs DH, you're always setting up survival with Armorsmith, and removing their board every turn.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ahh makes sense. Do you still go face with weapons? I find the pirate draw and lackys really useful but feels like I'm taking too much dmg removing their minions. However, when their board sticks around, doesn't go well either.

Probably overall vs DH I need to prioritize card draw more so I can get my pieces. Feels like I'm on the backfoot always trying to win board or stabilize. End up on turn 6 or 7 top decking.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Neat ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1mfw1nxN0

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

adamarama posted:

I'm enjoying enrage warrior and getting the hang of it but I don't understand how to use warmaul Challenger. It's quite underwhelming as removal, is it for armour gain with Smith? I've been running pillager instead and liking it. To me the deck is about smashing face with weapons until you get your opponent in range of your charge minions. Your charge burst is usually 12-14 from hand. Am I missing something?

You play it when they have any sort of token to get a 1/8 or whatever that you can later enrage/battlerage/armorsmith/etc

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Ahh makes sense. Do you still go face with weapons? I find the pirate draw and lackys really useful but feels like I'm taking too much dmg removing their minions. However, when their board sticks around, doesn't go well either.

If you don’t remove their minions they hit you in the face anyway, all you want to do is survive because unlike most classes you actually have the armor gain to outlast the DH

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

yeah you are 100% the control deck vs DH and should be trying to assemble 2 skipper/smith turns and run them out of threats. you finish them off by them failing to keep your board clear and maybe doubling a brute you managed to untap with

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I honestly don't understand this Tempo DH deck. It's running at 60% at Legend and I'm having trouble breaking 45%. I go 70% with Quest Warrior and Totem Shaman and I can't win with this? I've got to be doing something wrong but gently caress if I can figure out what it is.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

### Control Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Inner Rage
# 2x (1) Risky Skipper
# 2x (1) Sky Raider
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 2x (2) Battle Rage
# 2x (2) Corsair Cache
# 2x (2) Injured Tol'vir
# 2x (2) Rampage
# 1x (3) Ancharrr
# 2x (3) Bloodsworn Mercenary
# 2x (3) Bomb Wrangler
# 2x (3) Livewire Lance
# 2x (3) Warmaul Challenger
# 2x (4) Kor'kron Elite
# 2x (7) Bloodboil Brute
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
#
AAECAQcC0gLerQMOFhyQA9QE1AjSpQP1qAPcqQPdrQOktgOrtgO7uQPAuQOcuwMA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/3FGmgQPZevRIjIsw2kA7ob/

This is the recommended version at below-legend because Priest is far more prevalent, and having 3 charge finishers gives you a chance to win.

vs. DH the 27 card core is what matters. You mulligan differently for DH, keeping Skipper/Armorsmith and even Livewire Lance in your starting hand.

Thanks for this version of the deck, I felt like it was a lot more complete and allowed me to do stupid things like one turn 24 damage from hand against control warlock.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

^ Looks like an interesting warrior list.

I made it back to Diamond R5. Debating if I should try and continue the DH rocket, or give that warrior deck a shot.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

God priest really is the fun killer. I think I'd rather get blown out by DH than smothered to death by priest and their lovely eternally recycling minions.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Xguard86 posted:

God priest really is the fun killer. I think I'd rather get blown out by DH than smothered to death by priest and their lovely eternally recycling minions.

If it makes you feel any better they’re having a pretty bad time overall on ladder right now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Good. They are bad and should feel bad.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Xguard86 posted:

:same:

Against DH I can at least see them pooping out cheap minions and going hero power to face every turn so I know they're actually DOING something.

I'm struggling finding a deck to main this month. Spell Druid didn't seem to have enough early game, Pirate Warrior is having trouble keeping a board. I did just build a Murloc Paladin deck but man, I'd rather not.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

When the Demon Hunter opponent is so confident that he'll take 20 to the face by using all charges of his Warglaives.

I mean, it's gotta be confidence, because no one can be this dumb bad at math?
Really scratching my head here. Is this A level trolling?

https://hsreplay.net/replay/sfD3hPC5ueqSMqEHGU9Rue#turn=6a

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

AnacondaHL posted:

### Control Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Inner Rage
# 2x (1) Risky Skipper
# 2x (1) Sky Raider
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 2x (2) Battle Rage
# 2x (2) Corsair Cache
# 2x (2) Injured Tol'vir
# 2x (2) Rampage
# 1x (3) Ancharrr
# 2x (3) Bloodsworn Mercenary
# 2x (3) Bomb Wrangler
# 2x (3) Livewire Lance
# 2x (3) Warmaul Challenger
# 2x (4) Kor'kron Elite
# 2x (7) Bloodboil Brute
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
#
AAECAQcC0gLerQMOFhyQA9QE1AjSpQP1qAPcqQPdrQOktgOrtgO7uQPAuQOcuwMA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/3FGmgQPZevRIjIsw2kA7ob/

This is the recommended version at below-legend because Priest is far more prevalent, and having 3 charge finishers gives you a chance to win.

vs. DH the 27 card core is what matters. You mulligan differently for DH, keeping Skipper/Armorsmith and even Livewire Lance in your starting hand.

I feel dumb what is the basic strat here? Is this the one I’ve heard which gains you heaps of armour (and how does that work?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

teacup posted:

I feel dumb what is the basic strat here? Is this the one I’ve heard which gains you heaps of armour (and how does that work?

Against aggro, Risky Skipper + Armorsmith is the wombo combo, yes

Here's an example of grinding through early aggression AND double Priestess:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/AKy6qW2s4TfkLBTb9ueixf

Otherwise, boost damaged minions with Inner Rage + Rampage, and use weapons to control the board or hit face

Here's an example in an unfavored Mage matchup where I just had to Go For It (also Inner Rage + both Korkrons are in the bottom 6(!!) cards of my deck):
https://hsreplay.net/replay/o9bdqZ8oJvJxfb4zDYfv36

Otherwise you're a combo deck, setting up the Korkron + Inner Rage + Bloodsworn charge combo

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 3, 2020

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

Demon Hunter is the fun killer. The whole meta is based around the fucktard class and its lack of balance.

Just to clarify, I have started playing Kibler's Dragon Quest Highlander Shaman. I have over 50% WR against every other class but I don't think I've ever actualy beaten a DH with it. It's fun deck thats just not viable because of the new class. If DH was even being played proportionally it would be fine but it feels every 2 games is vs DH.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 3, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
God I love how many idiots don't know how bombs work (my favourite being the deathrattle rogue who hits Shadow of Death onto a Kartut, then next turn successfully lethals himself from 25 with a couple of stowaways when I have 11 bombs in his deck. Not gonna nzoth your way out of that, dumbass)

And I love how many people depend on highlander decks in wild because of reno

These two groups are almost a flat circle

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 3, 2020

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

mcbexx posted:

When the Demon Hunter opponent is so confident that he'll take 20 to the face by using all charges of his Warglaives.

I mean, it's gotta be confidence, because no one can be this dumb bad at math?
Really scratching my head here. Is this A level trolling?

https://hsreplay.net/replay/sfD3hPC5ueqSMqEHGU9Rue#turn=6a
Weirdly enough I had someone pull almost the same thing yesterday, triple slamming their face into a buffed Aldor Truthseeker. I guess they were hoping to survive one more turn (somhow) and then Skull into double Eyebeam and Aldrachi Warblades?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Completely unrelated to anything,

just wanted to say, I miss Zilliax :(

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
3 wins from Bronze 10 to Silver, new ranking system does a good job of getting you out of the new player zone pretty sharpish.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I don't like the new ranking system, it's far less transparent. The various leagues are meaningless because you are always matched with people who had the same mmr as you last season. It only becomes true ranking when you lose your bonus stars, it's all a facade before that.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Completely unrelated to anything,

just wanted to say, I miss Zilliax :(

There is a lack of unity in this meta, it feels primitive :(

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Devo posted:

I honestly don't understand this Tempo DH deck. It's running at 60% at Legend and I'm having trouble breaking 45%. I go 70% with Quest Warrior and Totem Shaman and I can't win with this? I've got to be doing something wrong but gently caress if I can figure out what it is.

Same here, my win% with DH is around 35 after the nerfs, but I'm pretty bad at the game.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is there anywhere to go with good meta data now that hsreplay is only showing lower ranked data?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

adamarama posted:

I don't like the new ranking system, it's far less transparent. The various leagues are meaningless because you are always matched with people who had the same mmr as you last season. It only becomes true ranking when you lose your bonus stars, it's all a facade before that.
Maybe but it took me all of 6 games to reach the gold league from the start of the season, I bet there are streamers who went to Diamond on a win streak. It does feel like you get back to where it matters very quickly, and if a newer player is struggling through bronze or silver or whatever then those leagues do matter to them.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It's a more individual system basically, until you are expected to be more or less on your skill level based on rank. Basically a mixture between a pure rank system and a pure MMR system and I think that's a good thing. A legend player shouldn't have to grind himself through bronze newbie players every month and a new player shouldn't accidentally land in a high ranking league because he had some lucky win streaks or opponent disconnects or something.

It's true however that the total number of ranks that really matter are reduced and it's a lot easier to hold your rank while maintaining the monthly season system. Basically you only have maybe 10, maybe 15, or as legend just 6 ranks that matter to you at all (high legend that get 11 bonus stars even just that as they have bonus all the way to legend itself).
Technically I'd be cool to just go with a full MMR system at this point and get rid of the last few ranks that matter for competitive players, but for casual players this is nicer, as it's very comparable and yet remains fair due to your MMR.

Plus the new system gives you a minimum MMR that you are set onto when reaching a certain rank, so you stay on your level for a longer time and don't get punished for not playing for a while.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Yeah if your starting star bonus is 9-10x then the only ranks that really matter are Diamond and Legend. Having a star bonus as low as 2x on top of a potential winstreak bonus means that even a deck with a winrate as low as 35% can climb the ladder if you’re stubborn enough.

If you’re good enough to get an 11x bonus then Diamond is also pretty meaningless and you’re just seeing how high you can finish in Legend.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The biggest upside of this is, imo, that I can play fun stuff that might not work while grinding through the ranks up again. If I lose I lose, but who cares if I get 7 stars on a win despite being on gold; even after 7 consecutive losses the netto gain is just 0, which is fine for dumb gently caress decks that I can play terribly while watching a movie or something.
Grinding back up to a star bonus of 0 feels a lot more like casual play this way and that's enjoyable. If I want to do it quickly and get back into the real game asap, obviously playing the same deck as before in a good manner obviously is better, but if it's okay to just take a bit longer this opens up the possibility to test new decks while still grinding upwards, so I don't have to "waste" wins in casual or against the Innkeeper or something. It's a nice touch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

There is a lack of unity in this meta, it feels primitive :(

And less perfect :v:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Goons Are Great posted:

The biggest upside of this is, imo, that I can play fun stuff that might not work while grinding through the ranks up again. If I lose I lose, but who cares if I get 7 stars on a win despite being on gold; even after 7 consecutive losses the netto gain is just 0, which is fine for dumb gently caress decks that I can play terribly while watching a movie or something.

I’m having much more fun playing the deck i want to play (Highlander Mage) instead of the deck I would otherwise feel forced to play (Tempo DH). I really like this new system.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

Demon Hunter is the fun killer. The whole meta is based around the fucktard class and its lack of balance.

Just to clarify, I have started playing Kibler's Dragon Quest Highlander Shaman. I have over 50% WR against every other class but I don't think I've ever actualy beaten a DH with it. It's fun deck thats just not viable because of the new class. If DH was even being played proportionally it would be fine but it feels every 2 games is vs DH.

Just FYI, in tournaments it's actually Warrior that has no decent answer right now. I've yet to see a tournament matchup where my Warrior wasn't banned. At the very least there are a handful of decks that can be almost even with DH while still being playable vs other stuff (notably Secret Rogue, Dragon Hunter, and Zoolock).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Enrage warrior vs rogue notes? I get my rear end kicked because I don't know what I'm trying to do.

Feel like I futz around randomly clearing boards and gaining armor until I'm top decking and waiting for death.

That gnome who clears doubles is particularly irritating because it eats my cloned rampage/enrage board midgame. Which means no battle rage draw or big armor when I clear.

even when I win it's because I wombo-comboed on some lucky draws (or unlucky on their end).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Enrage warrior vs rogue notes? I get my rear end kicked because I don't know what I'm trying to do.

Feel like I futz around randomly clearing boards and gaining armor until I'm top decking and waiting for death.

That gnome who clears doubles is particularly irritating because it eats my cloned rampage/enrage board midgame. Which means no battle rage draw or big armor when I clear.

even when I win it's because I wombo-comboed on some lucky draws (or unlucky on their end).

Keep Warmaul Challenger, it's one of your only answers to a bullshit Hanar opening. Otherwise you'll lose to the same highroll RNG that everyone else loses to.

Bomb Wrangler is also annoying for Rogues to get rid of, especially when backed up by a Risky Skipper play.

Don't overcommit on Rampage/Inner Rage if Blackjack is a possibility.

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward game plan. You can win with tempo or with combo.

Example:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/WjnDvGSEjG2Qb4GEEnUQKJ

My keep of Bomb Wrangler + Risky Skipper + Sky Raider lets me respond to basically any play they make for the first 4 turns, game proceeds from there.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In battlegrounds news, the nerf to Millhouse combined with the introduction of Bob's Buddy has skyrocketed my rating back over 10.1k for first time in 2 months :toot:

Lots of people jokingly said seeing the %'s would tilt them, but it has actually made me way more calm and appreciative of when I actually do get lucky

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

AnacondaHL posted:

Just FYI, in tournaments it's actually Warrior that has no decent answer right now. I've yet to see a tournament matchup where my Warrior wasn't banned. At the very least there are a handful of decks that can be almost even with DH while still being playable vs other stuff (notably Secret Rogue, Dragon Hunter, and Zoolock).

fun table of the top 8 of 3 recent quals

AnacondaHL posted:

In battlegrounds news, the nerf to Millhouse combined with the introduction of Bob's Buddy has skyrocketed my rating back over 10.1k for first time in 2 months :toot:

Lots of people jokingly said seeing the %'s would tilt them, but it has actually made me way more calm and appreciative of when I actually do get lucky

not sure how i feel about bob's buddy. it's interesting to see chances, but sometimes it does spoil the fun. ill keep it around for a bit more at least

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Xguard86 posted:

This is hilarious because I've been playing a lot of Rogue and just can't figure out how I'm supposed to beat Enrage Warrior. It costs me too much HP to clear all the souped up minions and bombs and I've got no way to heal back up before getting Korkron Elite comboed for lethal. Let alone the fact that all my minions are getting cleared by Risky skippers and weapons while they effectively double their life total with Armorsmith. Also a 6/7 Rush coming down on turn 5 or earlier is bonkers.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Got bored and cleared tombs of terror heroic. Elise deck 2 with the mana ramp treasure OP. Only Galakrond's awakening heroic left untouched. wonder how much effort that cardback is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Took highlander hunter down to diamond 5, though with the new ranking system I think legend will be the regular monthly goal now. Much easier to rank. A few thoughts:

1. I'm pretty sure highlander hunter beats both types of DH. Yeah sure, aggro will sometimes get a fast hand while you get all your big threats and you lose. Other than that, things seem to go well. DH, which is much easier to play, often concedes the board and goes face way too soon. Then they sit praying they get a good skull of gul'dan roll while King Krush appears to eat their face.

2. Is it me or does no one run out of cards anymore? DH is obvious, since I guess 'card draw' gets to be a class strength. But rogue card generation is completely stupid. They will generate 9999999 lackeys so there is never a risk of running out of steam, even if you gently caress up your combos. It's like the polar opposite of old HS rogue and it irritates me. Even hunter gets poo poo like the 2 mana beast draw, which is an insanely good card hunter would never have been allowed to have in the past.

3. I have the most trouble with warriors. Unsure why it took so long for people to figure out the 1/3 pirate casually carries games by itself.

4. I have Alex and Nagrand Slam in my deck. In the entire rank climb, I played Alex once and Nagrand Slam 0 times. I want to play the latter just once before I replace it with... anything? Feels bad to remove Alex from a highlander deck but this meta does not go to turn 9.