Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

As much as I love the visuals in AC7 (it is a gorgeous game that runs immaculately on my PC and holding the B button to watch the missile fly to your target is cool every time) I ended up refunding it after a few missions because I dunno how much time I'd actually end up spending with it. I think for what it's trying to do it's a home run for sure especially for $20 but I have a mountain of backlog that is getting bigger by the day as it is so yeah, for another time perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

As much as I love the visuals in AC7 (it is a gorgeous game that runs immaculately on my PC and holding the B button to watch the missile fly to your target is cool every time) I ended up refunding it after a few missions because I dunno how much time I'd actually end up spending with it. I think for what it's trying to do it's a home run for sure especially for $20 but I have a mountain of backlog that is getting bigger by the day as it is so yeah, for another time perhaps.

Ace Combat is a puzzle game posing as a flight sim. This doesn't really show up in the early missions but as the campaign goes on and particularly in the DLC missions it becomes a lot about order of operations choices and doing things as efficiently as possible. That plus the score system appeals pretty strongly to some people and then it also has the ridiculous stories and cool gameplay on top of it. No harm in it not being extremely your thing though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

explosivo posted:

I was in a similar boat actually! I was 2-3 missions in, thinking about refunding because I was afraid the difficulty would get too high for me, even on easy mode, but then I decided that I wanted to see how the plot would bring together the two "main" characters and it's been unfolding into something really special for me.

I'm up to mission 6 now and every mission is getting better and more interesting. And I'd hoped I'd be up to 7 or 8 today but then Umineko took its brakes off and jesus christ where did my afternoon go. I just finished the first episode and :catstare:

ahem

I hope you try AC7 again in the future, and if you never get to it, okay, I hope you enjoy your backlog!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Are the brakes the shoulder pads?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope you try AC7 again in the future, and if you never get to it, okay, I hope you enjoy your backlog!

I see the appeal so I think I will when we're not in quarantine times and I have a job again, I just have to make sure if I'm buying something I'm going to actually play it. I'm already kind of regretting Generation Zero, although that was a bit cheaper and easier to swallow.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Not the Messiah posted:

Ace Combat and Metal Gear Solid both scratch an incredibly specific itch for me of having plots & world design that's just campy enough to be enjoyably dumb but own it enough that they can pull off serious dramatic moments without being out of place

Ace Combat 7 is an absolutely blast, highly recommend you give it a go!

Gonna be honest the best Christmases I ever had were 2001 and 2004... because of AC04/MGS2 and AC5/MGS3. 10 year old me took the first set very seriously but 13 year old me had started to learn the campiness of them. Adult me would finally appreciate all of it for what it is

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Finally giving EDF 4.1 a go and it's finally clicking as a cool-down sorta game.
Is 5 a substantial improvement that I should jump right to or should I work my way through 4.1

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 is an improvement in just about every respect. The writing is a bit worse.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Finally giving EDF 4.1 a go and it's finally clicking as a cool-down sorta game.
Is 5 a substantial improvement that I should jump right to or should I work my way through 4.1

They are both good. I think 4.1 is funnier though.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
:ghost:

DrNutt posted:

well neither art looks flat, tbh

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

EDF5 is a huge improvement over 4.1. The songs took a hit, but Wing Diver now sings. Every class gets upgrades each mission so they can still contribute after a little catching up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I have been convinced. Purchase made.
Thank y'all for the quick feedback

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The first few Ace Combat 7 missions are weak and boring but it does pick up. I looked up on youtube and it was Mission 7 where I thought "this is wild" and was super hooked.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Got me all three kingdom rush's.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Of all the shameful time I've spent playing those in the last weeks, I'd say Origins was a safe bet, and Frontiers has some particularly infuriating stages but still good overall, while the first one is a bit rougher. Vengeance was the most well developed by a wide margin but it seems to be mobile only for now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dudeness posted:

dudes got a whole extra upper arm joint.

Have you never worn a suit?

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Itching for some wholesome RPGs, I impulse purchased Ni No Kuni II and the latest Dragon Quest on sale... anybody played them? Where should I start?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

May as well play NNK2 first, because DQ is the better game and you don't want a dropoff

i am higher on NNK2 than others though, I thought the kingdom building minigame was fun and that the game didn't suffer from some of the issues that NNK1 did, the combat being more active/action helped a lot

don't feel like you have to do every single sidequest in the game but you can do a few here and there. i'd switch around between the different modes of the game (main quests, kingdom building, the pikmin-style army fights, sidequests) so that the typical Level 5 fatigue doesn't set in

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

May as well play NNK2 first, because DQ is the better game and you don't want a dropoff

i am higher on NNK2 than others though, I thought the kingdom building minigame was fun and that the game didn't suffer from some of the issues that NNK1 did, the combat being more active/action helped a lot

don't feel like you have to do every single sidequest in the game but you can do a few here and there. i'd switch around between the different modes of the game (main quests, kingdom building, the pikmin-style army fights, sidequests) so that the typical Level 5 fatigue doesn't set in

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I am a huge weirdo and sunk a million hours into the first NNK game (and also DQ9). I guess I have a thing for Welsh accents in video games?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Someone mentioned the Stay Home Play RPGs bundle, can someone tell me what games are on it? Malaysia doesn't seem to have access to it, but we might have access to the individual items on sale.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Artelier posted:

Someone mentioned the Stay Home Play RPGs bundle, can someone tell me what games are on it? Malaysia doesn't seem to have access to it, but we might have access to the individual items on sale.

If it's the Square bundle on Steam then it's DQ11, FF12, Chrono Trigger, and Oninaki for $50.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The 7th Guest posted:

I would agree with this, and also add that DQXI is 100 hours long, while NNK2 is only like 40-50, which is another reason to play the latter first.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The 7th Guest posted:

Nnk2 is a vast improvement on the first one imo, just better in every way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samuringa posted:

Of all the shameful time I've spent playing those in the last weeks, I'd say Origins was a safe bet, and Frontiers has some particularly infuriating stages but still good overall, while the first one is a bit rougher. Vengeance was the most well developed by a wide margin but it seems to be mobile only for now.

Pretty much got them because I'm sick of not having all the poo poo over at kongregate

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

The answer really depends on what you're missing from your life and what you liked/disliked about FFVIII.

Going by what you said, I think you might like Tales of Berseria. It's relatively high budget and fast paced for an RPG, and you're basically propelled to go forward constantly, a feeling I associate with playing FFVIII.

The combat system is very different, real time where you switch between characters. And you definitely don't spend as much time tinkering or grinding items/spells like FFVIII.

Relatively short experience, I think I was done about 30 hours in? Might be a bit more depending on how fast your read/mash through dialogue, sidequests, etc.

After that maybe the Final Fantasy series or Nino Kuni, which are also high budget.

The two Trails series are good, but they are MASSIVE and LONG.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
^ Tales of Berseria is good, but it can take longer than that. Rushing through the game means avoiding all those little character-building moments, and that's where it's at.

shoc77 posted:

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

As much as I like Trails in the Sky and would recommend that, maybe save yourself for FFXIV. That's where it's at these days, but it'll take a bit still before they revamp the early game.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Posting these here as well since I grabbed some schweetand questionable games from some of you posters.

Anyone know if SE has a timeline for a Final Fantasy 7 Part 1 PC release?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Got me all three kingdom rush's.

I crushed the first one on my phone. I have no idea about the other two though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

shoc77 posted:

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

tales of berseria

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

shoc77 posted:

Trails in the sky
Trails in the Sky 1-3 are the only ones I've played, and 1-2 are really good.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Hey!! I always get good advice from the thread about sales so i'll ask here again, are there any less obvious games in the golden week sale that i should try?
I tend to prefer slowly paced stuff (turn-based and adventure games).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Immortal Defense is addicting, and the story seems pretty cool!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blattdorf posted:

^ Tales of Berseria is good, but it can take longer than that. Rushing through the game means avoiding all those little character-building moments, and that's where it's at.

As much as I like Trails in the Sky and would recommend that, maybe save yourself for FFXIV. That's where it's at these days, but it'll take a bit still before they revamp the early game.
Somebody intimidated by the length of JRPGs should definitely not start playing an MMO as their re-introduction to the genre. I play JRPGs regularly and I'm not bothering with FF14 because I don't have the time for an MMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I tried playing the free trial of FF14 a couple weeks ago and it was without a doubt the dullest few hours of gaming I've had in a recent memory. I think I spent the first couple hours delivering packages back and forth around town. In WoW at least there's some kind of storyline to every starting area that gets you hooked into the basic gameplay loop. Supposedly FF14 is getting a huge revamp to early game leveling and I'd definitely recommend holding out until then because man is the current version super boring.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Hey!! I always get good advice from the thread about sales so i'll ask here again, are there any less obvious games in the golden week sale that i should try?
I tend to prefer slowly paced stuff (turn-based and adventure games).

OneShot

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I tried playing the free trial of FF14 a couple weeks ago and it was without a doubt the dullest few hours of gaming I've had in a recent memory. I think I spent the first couple hours delivering packages back and forth around town. In WoW at least there's some kind of storyline to every starting area that gets you hooked into the basic gameplay loop. Supposedly FF14 is getting a huge revamp to early game leveling and I'd definitely recommend holding out until then because man is the current version super boring.

As someone with an extremely low tolerance for both anime and JRPGs I bounced off XIV's opening few hours a good six or seven times before it finally clicked. Behind that (and a couple dozen more hours of bullshit once the update happens, to be honest) is three very good expansion stories, one of which even I started to care about by the end and boy did I try not to. It's the only good MMO running, to boot.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jamfrost posted:

Anyone know if SE has a timeline for a Final Fantasy 7 Part 1 PC release?

I believe it’s a year exclusive, so you are looking at early April 2021 at the earliest.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shoc77 posted:

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

FFXV is basically designed as a nostalgia trip for the whole series (including being able to drive around the giant game map while listening to old FF tunes) so that might be what you're after. Plus it has a more action oriented design and there's fishing. Every game needs fishing.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Ragequit posted:

I believe it’s a year exclusive, so you are looking at early April 2021 at the earliest.

Hmm. Alright. Good thing there are so many heavy hitters this year. And last year. Games as far as the eye can see.

FFXV is basically designed as a nostalgia trip for the whole series (including being able to drive around the giant game map while listening to old FF tunes) so that might be what you're after. Plus it has a more action oriented design and there's fishing. Every game needs fishing.

I'm started to play the Pocket Edition on my phone. It's like a... an abridged version. Simple, clean, chibi. No open world, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

As someone with an extremely low tolerance for both anime and JRPGs I bounced off XIV's opening few hours a good six or seven times before it finally clicked. Behind that (and a couple dozen more hours of bullshit once the update happens, to be honest) is three very good expansion stories, one of which even I started to care about by the end and boy did I try not to. It's the only good MMO running, to boot.

Shadowbringers is on my very, very short list of games I wish I could erase my memory of and see fresh again

Breath of the Wild is the other, and if there are any others I sure can't think of them right now

(e) I can't resist the urge to stan, so a general post: if I were asked "what's your favorite Final Fantasy story", Shadowbringers was the one that finally took the throne from FF9 and the SNES games, and it took the title handily

Too bad about ARR's obscene length and padding. I hope that redo coming soon helps, because it's really just sad to miss Heavensward, Shadowbringers, and (only to a slightly lesser degree) Stormblood because of

exquisite tea posted:

I tried playing the free trial of FF14 a couple weeks ago and it was without a doubt the dullest few hours of gaming I've had in a recent memory.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 4, 2020