Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Made out of jade yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Korean food tends to barely move the needle for me after years of putting ghost pepper/Carolina reaper sauce on everything but for whatever reason they think it’s unbearably hot for anyone who isn’t Korean. Then they try my reaper sauce in the work fridge, since it can’t be that hot it a white guy is eating it, and are crippled for like half an hour.

ngl I wanna see a schad video of "It's not hot" *it's too hot* regardless of nationality, but it needs that sweet underestimation factor.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

On the more trivial side, I've spoken to Chinese expats who don't understand why white people are so obsessed with wine.

Now this has the classist undertones. It's just a drink that has variety and alcohol and you can be snobby with the selections and discussion. It's also very poetic and limelighted by both renaissance and wealth influences; nothing more conspicuous consumption than "that wine glass has $100 of wine in it". And while noting conspicuous consumption, it's also consumed, so it's not a rose gold iPhone that you buy once, it's an expiring status symbol, like Steve Jobs' no-license-plate gimmick.

White people can be uneducated rubes like any other people, it's just expressed as "sommelier pretentiousness". $15 wine is perfectly fine to get sloshed on while wearing a top hat and acting fancy.

Shadow0 posted:

I would love to find out the logic of how an English-speaker looked at the word "karaoke" and decided none of the vowels are going to be consistent in any fashion and instead it will be from henceforth: "kärioki"

Truly the most fascinating word in English.

Kara is "care - ay" oke is "oakey"
The "ay" becomes an "ii" in some speaking accents. I bet it was Texas :clint:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GotLag posted:

Isn't there also a Chinese cabbage stone?

yeah they're in the same room and without going full ajumma warrior you're never going to catch a glimpse because of the hordes permanently surrounding them

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Somebody had to do it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Jeoh posted:

yeah they're in the same room and without going full ajumma warrior you're never going to catch a glimpse because of the hordes permanently surrounding them

Pushing through a crowd of old ladies to get closer to the meat and cabbage is just another Tuesday at the market.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Horatius Bonar posted:

Well.. yes on some level it is a stone that looks like meat that they just found, but it's in the art museum and not the geology museum so that makes it an Art Object.

Plus the gold base.

gently caress. I want tawainese pork belly over rice now. With pickled cabbage, ginger and a tea egg

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Went to the national museum in March with all mainland tourism stopped, most the museum was empty and got to examine the meat shaped stone in peace. They'd taken away the cabbage for another exhibition sadly, but it's a nice museum when quiet (got some nice pics of Chinese court depictions of westerners)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Horatius Bonar posted:

Well.. yes on some level it is a stone that looks like meat that they just found, but it's in the art museum and not the geology museum so that makes it an Art Object.

It's both carved and stained. At least according to wikipedia.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sorry, i may have drooled on it a bit

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

And people say the Greeks had the best sculptures

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

(got some nice pics of Chinese court depictions of westerners)

:justpost: white ghosts

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mistle posted:

ngl I wanna see a schad video of "It's not hot" *it's too hot* regardless of nationality, but it needs that sweet underestimation factor.

Next time I see someone eyeball my hot sauces I’ll start recording. My old boss put one on his takeout once and walked around saying “I made a mistake, I made a mistake!” for ten minutes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
See I have made it through stuff like 2x Hot Chicken and just wondered what the point was. It's like those gimmick hot wings restaurants that would be better off just airlocking the place and releasing tarantula hawks on all the hipsters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

See I have made it through stuff like 2x Hot Chicken and just wondered what the point was. It's like those gimmick hot wings restaurants that would be better off just airlocking the place and releasing tarantula hawks on all the hipsters.

There’s some really good superhots out there with a ton of flavor to go with the heat. The problem is there’s also a ton out there that are just pain sauce, often with capsaicin extract. Da Bomb, for example, is just nasty. The Last Dab is super hot but has a kind of curry type flavor. They made a Pepper X version of the Classic that’s the hottest thing I’ve ever eaten but has this nice grassy, fruity flavor from the peppers.

The endorphin rush is also nice. I have a lunatic pain tolerance from years of doing MMA/boxing and teaching Krav Maga so the heat barely bothers me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The endorphin rush is also nice. I have a lunatic pain tolerance from years of doing MMA/boxing and teaching Krav Maga so the heat barely bothers me.
Yeah same but I dunno if I'd be all about getting maced (which would be on the secret menu at my wasps & hot wings negative-pressure gastropub, or one of those things that get sent out with chef compliments like sushi places).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 3, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There’s some really good superhots out there with a ton of flavor to go with the heat. The problem is there’s also a ton out there that are just pain sauce, often with capsaicin extract. Da Bomb, for example, is just nasty. The Last Dab is super hot but has a kind of curry type flavor. They made a Pepper X version of the Classic that’s the hottest thing I’ve ever eaten but has this nice grassy, fruity flavor from the peppers.

I think I've tried Da Bomb... if it's the one I'm thinking of, it tasted like half-smoked tobacco but spicy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I've tried Da Bomb... if it's the one I'm thinking of, it tasted like half-smoked tobacco but spicy.

I usually compare it to licking an on-fire 9 volt battery.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I find 9/10 "gimmick hot sauces" have absolutely no (or downright horrible flavour). The sauce from "First we feast: Hot Ones" was pretty good though, not the last dab, but the other one that they actually make.

My coworker from Louisiana was explaining to our Korean coworkers that most everyone in his state were able to eat stuff as spicy or spicier than fire chicken without being babies about it, and that he was loading tobasco on his food at the age of three like most kids did with ketchup. Every few years he would probably do enough damage to his tastebuds that he had to scale up the spiciness to get the same sensation. By the time he was in his late 20's in Korea, he was basically just drinking straight Ghost-Pepper sauce and didn't know where to go from there (this might have been before the Carolina Reaper).

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

(got some nice pics of Chinese court depictions of westerners)

I too would love to see these if it suits you.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I recently bought a couple of bottles of 불닭 sauce to bring home as gifts. The red "extra spicy" for my mate who loves hot food, the black standard, (but still to my wussyarsed palate pretty hot) for another friend who thinks he likes spicy food, and the new pink one for my brother who, like me, enjoys spicy food but knows his limits.

Edit: And I agree with the people saying that a lot of "hot sauce"s are usually tasteless poo poo but with burning. I much prefer to be able to taste the spiciness. Unrelated, the hottest thing I have ever eaten was a Vathakarumbu, (an eggplant/ladyfinger curry), made by a family friend. Proper good Tamil Iyengar cooking.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 3, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

Stinky bird-men with giant noses.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The most annoying thing in Korea was being told that I couldn't order certain items off a menu because it was too spicy for foreigners. Like you just know that at some point some white rear end in a top hat ordered something and then complained that it was too spicy. The story spread and now everyone assumes that no foreigner can handle heat. I'd regularly eat spicy food to the bewilderment of my colleagues. Between that and the chopsticks, they didn't know what to make of me.

Frustratingly, I actually gave them reason to think I couldn't use chopsticks on my first night. I had just flown in from the states and was very jet-lagged. They took me to a nice BBQ restaurant and sort of sheepishly asked if I wanted a fork. I said no, grabbed the chopsticks, and tried to get to eating. Well, it turns out that Korean chopsticks actually are different than chopsticks from other countries. I've been using bamboo and plastic chopsticks regularly since I was a kid, but Korean chopsticks are metal. They're also flat as opposed to the commonly found round ones that most people are familiar with.

I was definitely clumsy with these new chopsticks and they eventually slipped a fork to me that I used because I just wanted to get to my bed. But outside of that first encounter, I never had an issue and like others have said, literally for the entire next year, coworkers who saw me eating with chopsticks every day would remark on how amazing it was that I could use them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I can't get my way around those metal ones. I was good enough with those cheap wooden ones that I could grab a wasp in mid-flight, but I can't so much as spear a meatball with the flatties.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't have many pictures, and the exhibit wasn't well labelled. IIRC this was part of a loving huge set of scrolls made for the imperial court some time during the Qing of 'different foreigners and their traits' - I can't remember more details than that or a more precise time period. Most of them didn't stand out to me or I didn't recognize, but there was one group that stood out

3 Groups of white people which I immediately assigned to British, French, and Russians. No clue who the black people in the fourth picture represent but that's clearly european clothing.

A close up on the British, with some chinese text if we've got any historians brave enough to try translating.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
"haha, the Brits, what a bunch of alkies"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not as crazy as I was expecting. I was thinking those Japanese drawings where the white people have noses a meter long (this is still how white people are drawn in Korea/Japan in 2020, it's bizarre).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Not as crazy as I was expecting. I was thinking those Japanese drawings where the white people have noses a meter long (this is still how white people are drawn in Korea/Japan in 2020, it's bizarre).

its just how racist drawing is done. exaggerate those features. political cartoons in the us preserve it, only they exaggerate specific peeps features, not races, so its okish

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Re spicy food chat:

Sauces are a waste of time, you're better off with fresh produce. Sauces always feel way weaker than advertised, Da Bomb is less spicy than a potent habanero.

There are an absolute crapton of peppers out there, only a select few ever get made into sauces. And the thing is, these peppers are downright delicious and have an absolutely mind bogglingly wide spectrum of flavors. People think chilis just taste like birds eye or whatever, but it's not true. Some chilis are smokey and savory great for bbq (chocolates are known for this), while others straight up taste like candy like the sugar rush peach. I'm a big fan of the 7-pot primo yellow, which tastes very citrusy, almost like a lemon.

These nuanced flavors get drowned out and diluted when they get made into a sauce. The best sauces do their best to complement the flavors of the chilis, but its inevitable that some of it is lost when mixed with vinegar and other ingredients. A superhot thinly sliced and placed on top of a dish is the best way to enjoy it. Or do it Indian style, and have the pod on the side, munching on it like an appetizer.

You learn what peppers are good for flavor, and what ones aren't. The carolina reaper (really just a horribly mutated 7-pot primo) has an interesting flavor that's immediately overpowered with a wave of bitter oil and heat. Meanwhile the Bhut Jolokia tastes like you ate the entire produce section in a grocery store, and the heat is a slow, delayed build up.

The joys of spicy food can only be known once you go full veg. Hot sauces are a downgrade to having the real frittata, ripe and shiny with oils.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dont Touch ME posted:

Re spicy food chat:

The joys of spicy food can only be known once you go full veg. Hot sauces are a downgrade to having the real frittata, ripe and shiny with oils.

I will agree with this. Not a vegetarian, but as said here the spiciest food I have eaten is some types of South Indian Vegetarian curries. And not only were they stupidly loving hot, but you can taste the other ingredients, and what the dish is supposed to be, as opposed to drowining it it Tabasco or whatever sauce.

And a hint for those out there who want to eat spicy foods but either don't have the stomach for it, or don't want to flex about how tough they are for being able to handle Carolina Reaper Peppers X45 or whatever. Yoghurt. Good thick Greek yoghurt. Even better if you can get/make yourself some Raita, (Yoghurt with cucumber chunks and asasafoetida and turmeric in it). Because if it's too hot, mix in some yoghurt, and you can still taste the food it is, but it reduces the burning.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Vegetarianism still gets a bad rap because for the longest time in the early 20th century it was promoted by weirdo health quacks and various creepy utopian social movements. Even worse, their recipes were often terrible bland garbage instead of things like vegetarian curries and hummus and fresh vegetables.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ain't that been supplanted by Veganism in the quackery department?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Ain't that been supplanted by Veganism in the quackery department?

Has anyone tried to be a vegan in China? Is it possible?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Vegetarianism still gets a bad rap because for the longest time in the early 20th century it was promoted by weirdo health quacks and various creepy utopian social movements. Even worse, their recipes were often terrible bland garbage instead of things like vegetarian curries and hummus and fresh vegetables.

Hitler was vegetarian. Some of the other people representing vegetarianism also don't help much. Then there's the wet blanket effect when you want to go out with them because it excludes some cuisines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Neurophonic posted:

It is. There's an East Asian vegan tradition in Buddhist temple cuisine, and veganism is vaguely trendy. There were vegan restaurants where I lived, some of them were pretty good too. This is in the big cities, I wouldn't want to try it in the countryside.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Neurophonic posted:

I've known a few try.
They either step down to "vegetarian who doesn't knowingly eat animal-death products but doesn't panic if they find out they already did", or they get out after a period of stress and ill-health that lasts weeks-months.

One employer I know in town specifically screens out vegans because they had two fail to complete their contract terms for diet reasons. They used to screen vegetarians too, but calmed down when it was explained as "like the monks".

Edit: pure anecdote, but I have become convinced that veganism in foreigners in China is frequently associated with a type of person who thinks they'll come here to find a deeply spiritual land and people, and lol. Sucks to be them.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 4, 2020

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I get wanting to abstain from eating meat but I've never understood wanting to abstain from stuff like milk, a food substance that if everyone stopped eating would consign billions of dairy cattle to excruciating deaths

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A bunch of Buddhist vegetarian dishes are 100% gluten though.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I get wanting to abstain from eating meat but I've never understood wanting to abstain from stuff like milk, a food substance that if everyone stopped eating would consign billions of dairy cattle to excruciating deaths

I hope you're joking because ...you know it is actually pretty hard to find milk and cheese regularly.

If you're talking generally yeah but China lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cheese often (but not always) requires a trip to an actual supermarket, but milk's popular and in every store. Milk is pushed heavily on kids in China especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I remember my vegetarian friends struggled a lot in Japan. This happened a lot:

👩: "Is there meat in this dish? I can't eat meat. No meat."
👩‍🍳: "*Confused looked* ...No, no meat!"
👩: "Okay, I'll take this then."
👩: "This has meat in it! It has pork!"
👩‍🍳: "Pork is meat?! 🤯"

This is especially baffling because the words are 肉 and 豚肉. :doh:

Apparently 肉 can be interpreted as "[cow] meat" despite 牛肉 also being a common word, but I don't know.