Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What happened to Howard the Duck? After a couple "episodes" that mostly revolved around sardonic social commentary, the art quality took a nosedive and it became nothing but puns.

Looks like a writer change -- the first strips were written by Steve Gerber, Howard's creator and comic book writer. I'm pretty sure some of the stories, like the Winky-Man arc, were taken directly from the comic. The more recent strips are credited (if that's the word) to Marv Wolfman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For background, Howard the Duck was written by Marvel in-house creator of Howard the Duck, Steve Gerber, up until this arc. A dispute arose between Marvel and Gerber where Marvel wanted to take him off the strip because syndication had dropped to around a fifth of its initial level which they blamed on his inability to meet syndicate deadlines which he blamed on their refusal to pay his contract artists (reportedly they only got a percentage of the quarterly syndication revenue). This rift would eventually result in Gerber suing Marvel to try and assert his rights as a creator to the property.

Marv Wolfman's better credits are co-creating The Tomb of Dracula and its break-out star Blade, as well as the New Teen Titans introducing Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg.
The art in this arc is Alan Kupperberg who's a decent journeyman artist so I can only assume the sloppiness of the art is representative of those deadline requirements as he was drawing the dailies on the previous arc as well.

Wolfman and Kupperberg will remain the writer and artist until the strip is cancelled in half a year.

Majinaughey

Bogor 1976

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/13/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/9/46

Mopsy 12/18/42

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 12/18/42

Every person doing video conferencing in front of their book shelf.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

Scary Go Round: The Great Unboxing

It really feels like this was the moment when John Allison was suddenly told by an editor "BTW, your comic is ending in a week. Figure it out." Except that's obviously not what happened because he was self-published at the time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

NRVNQSR posted:

It really feels like this was the moment when John Allison was suddenly told by an editor "BTW, your comic is ending in a week. Figure it out." Except that's obviously not what happened because he was self-published at the time.
Yeah I'm starting to remember why I forgot the end of the Great Unboxing. I see why he took it out of canon.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I'm starting to remember why I forgot the end of the Great Unboxing. I see why he took it out of canon.

I still don't get it

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, the end was really disappointing. That sucks, because you never see more of Georgia and her dad, Grendel and Fit Mum, Zebus, Sunita, and the rest.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mister Olympus posted:

I still don't get it
This is pretty much the end. There's like a week left. The end is that the tunnel gets opened (and all the drama set-up for the unboxing day is offscreen and skipped over) and then Things Change. You can tell he completely ran out of writing steam.

It's a real shame, because I love the Mystery Tweens. The characters are solid, but it seems like this wasn't the story he wanted to tell with them. Maybe someday he'll find the right story for them! I hope so!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Bloop posted:

It was funny at first, but since it turns out that sarcastic racism is actually just more easily deniable racism, it did far far more harm than good

It's fun being Jewish when everyone thinks "repeating what Cartman said" is the same as "telling a joke."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if the US ever has denazifaction trials matt and trey should be defendants #1 and #2

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows there's no substitute for real home cooking.

Working Daze yes I get it we're all wearing masks.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix explores the duality of Man.

Cul De Sac is a moment in time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sept 19, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 2-3, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Nov 12-13, 2015)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I thought this was set in the '80s.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Olympus posted:

I still don't get it

The Mystery Teens aren't going to attend their school after this year, because the tunnel's opening has changed, among other things, the two school districts and which students will go where. Thus the school won't have enough students in the higher grades to justify having those classes. The kids are going to be split up thanks to Mildred's meddling.

You know what, she's still my favorite.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Discendo Vox posted:

What happened to Howard the Duck? After a couple "episodes" that mostly revolved around sardonic social commentary, the art quality took a nosedive and it became nothing but puns.

They kicked off Gerber and Semeiks. Look at the credits - it's now Wolfman and Kupperberg.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darthemed posted:

He should've used baseball cards

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe Garbage Pail Kids to keep it in that non-sports category.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Stone Soup

Kevin & Kell

Mother GOose & Grimm

Hagar THe Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Clearly they are talking about the collectible trading cards based on the 1987 NES classic Pokémon Wenge/Xanadu which was known for its revolutionary trading system that let you use 37 digit codes to move captured Pokémon to another game. The cards featured a photo of the creature on one side and various stats and graphs on the back along with that Pokémon’s catch phrase. You probably don’t remember them because both the game and cards were banned in several states when a fourth grader set his school on fire after losing a holographic Tauros in a bet.

(This is now canon and you can’t convince me otherwise)

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

For a real '80s feel, it should have been a collection of branded dolls action figures. "Tranceformers" or "I. G. Joe" (roots out government waste in the military).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In other presciently depressing comics, I appreciate how grandpa is being portrayed here as exactly the kind of disaffected voter who won't vote for an uninspiring candidate in the general just because the alternative is worse. This, even as he's exactly the kind of person who would have gone out of his way to vote for Gore in the primary if he'd been running against someone making crazy unelectable promises about reparations, never at any point seeing the irony of these two conflicting beliefs.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Is On the Fastrack getting MORE abusive lately, or is it just me?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Savidudeosoo posted:

Is On the Fastrack getting MORE abusive lately, or is it just me?

It feels like it, it's pretty hosed up. Speaking of hosed up,

What's wrong with your hands?

I never noticed they only had four fingers until this comic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my favourite part of this is that zelda's only role is to just look deadeyed directly at the reader.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sailor Cat posted:

The Mystery Teens aren't going to attend their school after this year, because the tunnel's opening has changed, among other things, the two school districts and which students will go where. Thus the school won't have enough students in the higher grades to justify having those classes. The kids are going to be split up thanks to Mildred's meddling.

You know what, she's still my favorite.

I understand this reasoning in the abstract but in practice I can't quite figure out why opening the tunnel would change any of this when presumably there are the exact same number of students living in the same place they were before the tunnel was opened. Like, do British schools have some kind of weird formula that takes travel routing into account when assigning children to districts?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I've been watching like a hawk for it to slip up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: That sounds like our Corto, Habban, or Tension building, or Yes Corto, watch out for the famed Chekov's quicklime pits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The book keeps it secret for a bit longer, but comic doesn't bother to hide that it's Count Bernhard Bertelsköld himself (well, he's older, so it's 50:50 if the reader recognizes him, but that doesn't really matter)

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kennel posted:

Man in Black

The one and only time when using fahrenheit would actually have been an advantage.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 25, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 25, 1998)

Garfield Classic (September 25, 1988)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

It feels like it, it's pretty hosed up. Speaking of hosed up,

What's wrong with your hands?

I never noticed they only had four fingers until this comic.
Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who just had that realization.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some Guy TT posted:

I understand this reasoning in the abstract but in practice I can't quite figure out why opening the tunnel would change any of this when presumably there are the exact same number of students living in the same place they were before the tunnel was opened. Like, do British schools have some kind of weird formula that takes travel routing into account when assigning children to districts?

Yes, that's what those British words they are saying mean.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Murder will out, also illicit berry-picking.

Anyway, in Juliet Jones, J Jonah Jackson lands a job, and produces Eve from under his client's floorboards or something.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

I always liked this one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork posted:

Yo, other Finns, how was this translated? I remember the third panel being pretty much the same, but there's no way the joke would have worked like that.

e. the current HS run has new translations and changes the entire joke:

"Come to see a moose (=hirvi)"
"A huge (=hirveä) amount of ants"

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
August 17th & 18th, 1981