Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should probably play FF7 before you play the remake, as the remake diverges from the original in a way that'll be genuinely confusing if you never played the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Captain Walker posted:

Real quick, is there a way for us plebs to gain edit access to the wiki, or do we just post tips here and wait for for someone who already has it?

I feel it's good practice to post any tips in the thread regardless, so it doesn't make a major difference on that front. Other people might have things to correct or add after all, and it's easier to keep track on which games now have pages or additions to their pages especially for people just following the thread.

Gears and Divinity are on there now.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Gears and Divinity are on there now.

I noticed they had both been added, and was confused until I realised someone must have been taking care of them. Thanks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flatluigi posted:

You should probably play FF7 before you play the remake, as the remake diverges from the original in a way that'll be genuinely confusing if you never played the original.

That's not quite true, but they definitely should play FFVII first if it's an option to do so. A lot of FFVIIR's larger story is kinda built on players knowing how the Midgar arc goes beforehand, because it pokes at things later in the game that it clearly expects you to know what's being referenced.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ace combat 7? I'm loving this dumb game, some tips would be good though I'm playing on easy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Before this thing you actually want to play, instead play this other thing for 40 hours" is always such bad advice I don't know why anybody gives it. FF7R is a great game on its own, some plot elements might seem confusing at first, just look up one of the many 10-minute comparison videos on Youtube after you finish. There's nothing so bewildering or impenetrable in this game that you can't fill in the gaps by reading a paragraph or two on a fan wiki, and then if you're really interested you can always buy the original later.

Leavemywife posted:

What's good to know about the FF7 Remake?

1. As for actual combat advice, you can remap several actions to L1+Face Button so that you don't have to use the menu select. This is really good in particular for Tifa since her moves are very combo-heavy and you don't often want to break up the action.
2. Characters will build almost no ATB if you're not controlling them directly, so you want to swap often to get the most out of their moveset.
3. The Magnify Materia affects more things than you'd think. It will give Cura and Barrier/Manawall an AOE effect, for example.
4. If you come across a lot of things in Chapters 8/9 that seem inaccessible at first, you'll have a chance to return later. So don't go on a crazy pixel hunt like me!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The tips for Civ 5 are a little threadbare. Help?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've played a ton of the original game, and I wasn't too interested in the remake, until my brother got it and started telling me about it. The bastard got me interested in it and I'm pretty sure I'm buying it tomorrow when I get paid.

Thanks for the advice! Is there any permanently missable content to worry about?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

PMush Perfect posted:

The game is all about building cities, which have population, which then work on hexes on the map which yield resources. You want all those resources, so your aim is to quickly ramp up to lots of cities with lots of population to work the land.

Food (apples) makes cities grow, which means more population, which means you work more hexes. Build cities where there's food available, otherwise they'll never grow to be useful.

Production (hammers) makes buildings and units. Buildings make your population more productive in various ways. Workers are the most important unit. They improve hexes, making your population way more efficient. You'll want enough workers around that you never have your cities working on an unimproved hex for more than a few turns.

Science (beakers) is produced naturally by having population, and can be improved by buildings. Improving the land will be your first incentive to research techs. Go for technologies that unlock the ability for your workers to improve the special resources available near your cities. Also research techs that reveal new special resources.

Culture (purple scroll thing with a quill) makes your cities borders expand. You can't work hexes outside your borders. Having culture allows you to work more and better hexes, so invest in it when a city can't reach the good hexes.

Gold (coins) are used for upkeeps, buying units and buildings, and trading with the AI civs. It's nice to have, but food and production are more important.

Happiness is your limiting factor towards expanding. The more cities and more population you have, the higher unhappiness grows. If your happiness goes into the negative, you get penalties towards city growth. This is bad, and probably means you have expanded too quickly. Don't build more cities if your people are unhappy. Unhappiness is countered by happiness producing buildings. This will be your secondary incentive to research techs. The whole unhappiness thing also means that you'll want to be efficient with your cities. Having a city in a bad location without useful resources is just going to drag your civ down with unhappiness. It's worse than not having it.

That's the basic idea of how to grow your civ. Now there are other civs around as well, and they will take your stuff with an army unless you also have one. You can also build a bigger army than what they have and take their stuff instead. Up to you, but if you're hemmed in with no room to grow, start building those military units.

Oh, something I think the game never tells you: the hex your first settler starts on is seeded with various resources and is guaranteed to be a good city location. You can almost never go wrong with just immediately settling in the place you start. There's a powerful snowball effect in the game, wasting time running around looking for a better city location in the beginning is an awful idea.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not quite true, but they definitely should play FFVII first if it's an option to do so. A lot of FFVIIR's larger story is kinda built on players knowing how the Midgar arc goes beforehand, because it pokes at things later in the game that it clearly expects you to know what's being referenced.
I don't particular like FF7 myself and getting through the whole thing is a pretty massive undertaking, so I don't entirely like that recommendation, but I still have to admit that it's probably a good idea. The Remake diverges substantially in some spots and even does completely new things that are visibly supposed to come as a surprise to people, but it'll be lost on you if you've never at least played the original Midgar section, which is maybe five or six hours.

I would recommend getting the first CD and just playing it that far. If you like the game enough to with it, so much the better, but if you don't, you'll still be prepared for the Remake and it really doesn't take that much time.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Leavemywife posted:

What's good to know about the FF7 Remake?

And Bright Wing, that is a drat fine avatar you have. drat fine.

The magnify materia works like the all materia from the original game.
The dodge has no invincibility frames. You're safer blocking if you can't get away from an attack.
Attacks with "focus" in the name (i.e. Focus Shot) build a lot of stagger.
At several points you get better or different awards based on how many sidequests you finish.
Cloud's counterattack in Punisher Stance is incredibly powerful (block a melee attack in Punisher stance to do the counterattack).
For the most part, if you miss a powerful item or don't finish a sidequest you won't be able to go back to it until you unlock chapter select after finishing the game. The exception is the research sidequest, which spans the entire game.
Press one of the triggers (R1 or L1, I don't remember which) on the equipment screen to access all party members' materia slots at once.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leavemywife posted:

I've played a ton of the original game, and I wasn't too interested in the remake, until my brother got it and started telling me about it. The bastard got me interested in it and I'm pretty sure I'm buying it tomorrow when I get paid.

Thanks for the advice! Is there any permanently missable content to worry about?

You unlock a chapter selection when you finish the game. In fact, if you are determined to get the platinum trophy, you will be replaying a bunch of chapters several times. Nothing can be permanently lost.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PMush Perfect posted:

In addition to what StoryTime said:

In previous Civ games, the best play was to keep expanding forever, though you had to pace yourself. In V, they tried to balance it such that "tall" empires of a few highly-developed cities were more competitive. They ended up really overdoing this: the most efficient way to play the game is to settle 3-6 cities and then stop, and just maximise those cities. Also, many of the buildings give you output based on population, so build farms absolutely everywhere. Food is king, because it gives you more of everything else (except happiness, so make sure that's always positive). You can kind of deviate from this vs the AI, but I remember having a bad time with V until I happened to try out a tall game, and then everything clicked.

The two expansions are essential. The civ packs are fine, if you want to play as those civs. The scenarios are a mixed bag; some are good as hell (like that one about colonising the New World/resisting colonisation); others were broken by patches and never fixed (like the Genghis Khan one).

A great civ for new players is Poland. Their benefit is really strong, and useful for all victory conditions and skill levels.

Prince is the fairest difficulty; below that level the player gets free stuff; above that level the AIs get free stuff. I would recommend learning the game on Warlord (or whatever the difficulty right below Prince is).

I don't remember if the tutorial is any good, but the Civilopedia is very thorough and detailed. The Advisors are kind of useless.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Krazyface posted:

if the tutorial is any good

The tutorial is a hot pile of garbage that's way worse than the bad-to-mediocre moves the advisors suggest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Ace combat 7? I'm loving this dumb game, some tips would be good though I'm playing on easy

Hwurmp posted:

- You can Cheat Engine yourself millions of MRPs mid-mission.
- Don't use the A-10, and don't use GPBs. Every other plane and weapon is at least worth experimenting with.
- You can hold down the target switch button to focus the camera on your current target. This will be a huge help with a certain bad bad gimmick in some later missions.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

You unlock a chapter selection when you finish the game. In fact, if you are determined to get the platinum trophy, you will be replaying a bunch of chapters several times. Nothing can be permanently lost.

Oh goody! I'm glad to hear that. I don't know if I'm going to go for the plat or not, but it's good to know I don't have to restart the entire game if I decide I want to.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
In Persona 5 Royal, there is an ability you get from Ryuji's social link at rank 7 called instakill.

The game does not explain this, and it is the most powerful grinding tool you have.

It is a passive ability. If you sprint with R2 at an enemy that cons green and collide with them without hitting x or any other engagement tools, you will simply auto win the battle. In Royal, in addition to just giving you a chance at the persona, it also gives you full money/exp, and the win counts as an all-out attack for the benefit of the multiple abilities that give you extra money for finishing the battle as such.

The way it is explained leads you to believe that it will trigger at the start of the battle occasionally, and most people do Ryuji very early, and might miss the explanation.

It works with both bus form and regular dungeon running, you just need to be sprinting, don't hit X, and collide with a low con mob, and you will have more money than you know what to do with, but even if you don't abuse it, not knowing how it works is stupid.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

sebmojo posted:

If you don't want to cheat all the money into the game, then try and focus on one aircraft "tree" (Russian/Euro/US). A lot of the awesome super planes are at the end of particular trees. Sometimes you can shift over from one to the other, but other times you need to follow the tree from the start.

I think the EU and US aircraft trees stick pretty close together and they eventually join up at the end (as well as some points in the middle), but the Russian tree is completely separate, so if you want stuff like the Su-47 (my personal favourite plane) then you need to invest heavily in the Russian aircraft from the very beginning.

Obviously you can buy up everything with enough cash, but if you only plan to do a single run through the story mode then spreading your purchases too wide might leave you with a lot of grinding to do for all the cool stuff at the end. That said, I think Mission 11 is one of the better ones for cash grinding, if you want to shoot for the later stuff midway through the campaign.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 6, 2020

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Zvahl posted:

In Persona 5 Royal, there is an ability you get from Ryuji's social link at rank 7 called instakill.

The game does not explain this, and it is the most powerful grinding tool you have.

It is a passive ability. If you sprint with R2 at an enemy that cons green and collide with them without hitting x or any other engagement tools, you will simply auto win the battle. In Royal, in addition to just giving you a chance at the persona, it also gives you full money/exp, and the win counts as an all-out attack for the benefit of the multiple abilities that give you extra money for finishing the battle as such.

The way it is explained leads you to believe that it will trigger at the start of the battle occasionally, and most people do Ryuji very early, and might miss the explanation.

It works with both bus form and regular dungeon running, you just need to be sprinting, don't hit X, and collide with a low con mob, and you will have more money than you know what to do with, but even if you don't abuse it, not knowing how it works is stupid.

Wow. I just played and finished the whole game without knowing this. Probably added a good 10 hours to my playthrough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

These are awesome, thank you.

RE: Going tall vs. going wide. When I start conquering, do I annex the cities or just burn them to the loving ground? (My first semisuccessful game was as Japan on Chieftan, and once I got Samurai, I had more conquered cities and city-states than I knew what to do with.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 6, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

These are awesome, thank you.

RE: Going tall vs. going wide. When I start conquering, do I annex the cities or just burn them to the loving ground? (My first semisuccessful game was as Japan on Chieftan, and once I got Samurai, I had more conquered cities and city-states than I knew what to do with.)

If you are conquering, you are playing wide. You can't really play tall as a warmonger. Conquering others isn't the end all mode of victory and you shouldn't assume that you need to do that every time.

That said, you can leave cities as puppets to keep them under your control without taking on full responsibility for them. They can be fully annexed later.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2020

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

sebmojo posted:

when a mission says there will only be ground targets, it's usually a lie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And how far apart should my cities be?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Most people recommend no less than six tiles apart. Four is the hard minimum, but a bit of extra room can be useful at the high end when you build really tall.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

And how far apart should my cities be?

The placement of cities is the quintessential skill of Civilization. Do your best and have fun!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wrex Ruckus posted:

when a mission says there will only be ground targets, it's usually a lie.

Yep. The recent posts about AC7 are a good list of things I did "wrong" in my game. Spread out my purchases across the plane trees, bought the A-10 and bombs, and figured that was the smart play for so-called ground missions.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
More Civ V tips:

-Scout as much as possible at the start of a new game. You can find ancient ruins which upgrade your units & cities, City-States who have unique resources, and other Civs who will be valuable trading partners.

-City-states will give you gold the first time you meet them: 30 gold if you were the first Civ to meet them, and 15 gold if you were not the first.

-Barbarian camps cannot spawn on a tile that you are able to see. If you find yourself with extra units, consider placing them on tiles outside your city borders to prevent barbarians from spawning close to you.

Also, does anybody have tips for Undermine?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh also for Civ V, and any of them really, is the biggest piece of gameplay advice I can give.

Tell your neighbors what you want.

The AI can only act off of what you say to them. If you don't want them to settle near you, TELL THEM THAT. If they do it anyway, the rest of the world will be on your side when you wardec them over it because you gave them clear warning. If you don't tell them to back off, how are they supposed to know that's what you want? So when they do settle near you and you wardec them, the rest of the world goes "wow what the gently caress is his problem?"

You might risk pissing off a neighbor by telling them off, but if they were posturing to settle near you anyway, they were going to be a prick eventually.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, I never even thought of that. I'm not really used to strategy games outside of GalCiv where the AI actually gives a flying gently caress what you say to it aside from having a few canned response lines to pretend that it does.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, I never even thought of that. I'm not really used to strategy games outside of GalCiv where the AI actually gives a flying gently caress what you say to it aside from having a few canned response lines to pretend that it does.
GalCiv2 is still my favorite 4X ever.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh also for Civ V, and any of them really, is the biggest piece of gameplay advice I can give.

Tell your neighbors what you want.

The AI can only act off of what you say to them. If you don't want them to settle near you, TELL THEM THAT. If they do it anyway, the rest of the world will be on your side when you wardec them over it because you gave them clear warning. If you don't tell them to back off, how are they supposed to know that's what you want? So when they do settle near you and you wardec them, the rest of the world goes "wow what the gently caress is his problem?"

You might risk pissing off a neighbor by telling them off, but if they were posturing to settle near you anyway, they were going to be a prick eventually.
The first two times I tried this, the AI got pissy, so I assumed it was just a thing they'd only listen to if they were already terrified by your huge military or something.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

GalCiv2 is still my favorite 4X ever.

The first two times I tried this, the AI got pissy, so I assumed it was just a thing they'd only listen to if they were already terrified by your huge military or something.

Yeah they get pissy, but it isn't really that you're trying to get them to do it, it's more that you're giving the other civs a reason to shrug and go "play stupid games..." when you decide to shoot him. If the AI gets pissy with you, they were planning to settle there anyway so gently caress em.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, makes sense. Why would another civ not get pissy if you tell them "I own this, go away?" It helps if I think about it like a Paradox game. The point isn't to make them obey, it's to give you a valid casus belli.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Telling a Civ not to settle near you or stop spreading religion your way will usually get pissy and sometimes violent. Rarely do they ever just 'stop' doing whatever it is you don't want them to do. But if you tell them to quit it and they force you into war, you won't receive as harsh of a diplomatic penalty with the other Civs in the game. If other Civs consider you a warmonger, they won't be willing to give you fair trade deals.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, makes sense. Why would another civ not get pissy if you tell them "I own this, go away?" It helps if I think about it like a Paradox game. The point isn't to make them obey, it's to give you a valid casus belli.

Exactly. Civ V has warmonger penalties to relationships, and attacking a neighbor without them knowing why gives a big one.

Truman Sticks posted:

Telling a Civ not to settle near you or stop spreading religion your way will usually get pissy and sometimes violent. Rarely do they ever just 'stop' doing whatever it is you don't want them to do.

I've logged about 3000 hours in Civ V and can tell you that this isn't always, or even often, the case. It depends on the AI personality, their circumstances, their relationship with you etc. In my experience, if they get pissy and angry with you, you were already on the way towards war with them anyway.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, this is going to change my entire approach to the game, I can already tell.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also, the AI is stupid and terrible at strategic combat.

This gives you an obvious edge, but also means that the slower your game setting, the bigger that advantage becomes because the longer units will have to last. The game speed impacts the time it takes to produce units, but not the battles themselves or the amount of HP your units have, or how fast they heal (IIRC).

So say you have a fight and come out on top, your surviving units will have a much longer time to rampage around, heal, conquer a city, etc, because it takes your opponent 10 turns to produce a replacement unit vs. 3 turns at a faster game setting.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Taeke posted:

Also, the AI is stupid and terrible at strategic combat.

This gives you an obvious edge, but also means that the slower your game setting, the bigger that advantage becomes because the longer units will have to last. The game speed impacts the time it takes to produce units, but not the battles themselves or the amount of HP your units have, or how fast they heal (IIRC).

So say you have a fight and come out on top, your surviving units will have a much longer time to rampage around, heal, conquer a city, etc, because it takes your opponent 10 turns to produce a replacement unit vs. 3 turns at a faster game setting.

IMO playing on marathon or epic speed benefits Civs that have early era unique units - such as the Aztecs - because you get more turns to use these units that outclass your opposing Civs.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Zvahl posted:

And combine this with the new ability to increase experience gained in Mementos (which can increase up to 200%), and you'll easily becomefar stronger than you'll ever need to be. To go further, you can increase money gained, up to 200% as well, and you'll gain yen like nobody's business. With the above, I finished the game at level 97 and with over 3,000,000 yen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Devil May Cry 5 was on sale. As soon as I started I got a poo poo-ton of pre-order currency which let me buy all the cheap stuff. I know all about the heart-containers and that Devil Hunter is normal difficulty.

How do maintain any kind of flow with when I'm playing Dead Weight? How does Exceed work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can't speak to dead weight, because I have no idea what you're talking about, but exceed basically works on reaction time. If you press the exceed button right as an attack connects, you get full charge on the Exceed Gauge and your attacks get additional animations and to tons more damage. It's very hard to overlook it when you get it right, but it takes some practice to really hit it reliably. When you're out of combat, you can rev three times to start at full exceed gauge, so never have to enter combat at less than your best unless you're actively lazy about it.