Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

younger me almost snapped my first UMD in half thinking that I was supposed to open the plastic casing to get the disc out.
it eventually broke anyway, they all did.

just thinking about the loud mechanical buzzing of the UMD reader sends me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

loving travesty that Gang Beasts isn't on this beautiful system.

Like what the hell?!

Same goes for Spelunky.

Seriously, where the gently caress is Spelunky?

Super Mega Baseball 3 next week, nerds!:holy:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Golf story was good right? One of my all time fav games was the weird Camelot Mario golf RPG, it was so dang good and I'd love another game like that.

I didn’t think the actual golfing mechanics felt as good as even the original Camelot Mario Golf. And the story/writing/etc. didn’t engage me (not that the Camelot writing was Shakespeare). Quit halfway through. It’s relatively cheap though so YMMV.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Augus posted:

Can the Switch play this? I don’t think so!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oea_JRj9eFg

:colbert:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The best part about the PSP was you could insert a UMD, use moderate force to "twist" the PSP's body, and the UMD drive would pop open, ejecting the UMD a good 6-12 feet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That sounds like a feature not a bug

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

I didn’t think the actual golfing mechanics felt as good as even the original Camelot Mario Golf. And the story/writing/etc. didn’t engage me (not that the Camelot writing was Shakespeare). Quit halfway through. It’s relatively cheap though so YMMV.

I had the same experience. Golf Story didn’t grab me. The music and sound mixing in it really annoyed me as well, which is not a complaint I usually have for a game.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

hatty posted:

That sounds like a feature not a bug

Definitely. Most fun I ever had with a UMD. (I used it as an emulation device and also wrote some homebrew games for it.)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
This probably isn’t shared by many people but the PSP game library is probably my favorite of any portable game system.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ColdPie posted:

The best part about the PSP was you could insert a UMD, use moderate force to "twist" the PSP's body, and the UMD drive would pop open, ejecting the UMD a good 6-12 feet.

I remember back in like 2006 there was a half-life 2 mod called SMOD or something that had tons of different novelty weapons and one was a "UMD launcher" that was basically a PSP that launched explosives shaped like UMDs. The alternate fire had Gordon press the square button, and nothing happened. It was hilarious.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

This probably isn’t shared by many people but the PSP game library is probably my favorite of any portable game system.

it really did have a lot of bangers. the Tactics Ogre remake is a great game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rad Valtar posted:

This checks out imo, without so many god drat PSP ports in the psn shop, the Vita line up would have been dire.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is Episode I Racer still coming out on the 12th? I saw Aspyr tweeted that it's specifically only the PS4 version that's delayed, but its absence from the eshop less than a week before release has me concerned!!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ogmius815 posted:

I remember back in like 2006 there was a half-life 2 mod called SMOD or something that had tons of different novelty weapons and one was a "UMD launcher" that was basically a PSP that launched explosives shaped like UMDs. The alternate fire had Gordon press the square button, and nothing happened. It was hilarious.

iirc the Square button would get stuck on earlier models and you had to mess with it to unstick it

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

This has been my only experience with the PSP

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

iirc the Square button would get stuck on earlier models and you had to mess with it to unstick it
The square button on my 1000 never got stuck but the left side sank in noticeably deeper than the right when pushed, like they engineered it so it felt as though it was perched precariously on the edge of a shelf

e. I don't remember having problems with it being unresponsive but it definitely felt like total poo poo compared to the other face buttons. Also my unit had like four stuck pixels of various colours right out of the box and every other PSP owner I knew had the same thing going on, how the gently caress was that ever acceptable?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

:thejoke:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I don't get it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The alternate fire had Gordon press the square button, and nothing happened

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hell yeah sticky square button gang represent

You just learned to deal with it because god drat that was such a gorgeous piece of hardware back then.

I still love the "glass" style seethru shoulder buttons on sony handhelds, weird clickiness and all. Made me feel like a real grown up boy unlike those Nintendo loving preschoolers with their Mickey mouse ears and tamagochis

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Hell yeah. I still break out my PSP every now and then to play something. Only thing it's missing is maybe the re-release of Chrono Trigger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty good posted:

The square button on my 1000 never got stuck but the left side sank in noticeably deeper than the right when pushed, like they engineered it so it felt as though it was perched precariously on the edge of a shelf

e. I don't remember having problems with it being unresponsive but it definitely felt like total poo poo compared to the other face buttons. Also my unit had like four stuck pixels of various colours right out of the box and every other PSP owner I knew had the same thing going on, how the gently caress was that ever acceptable?

LCDs of that size and density were kind of a novelty in 2003.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Hell yeah sticky square button gang represent

You just learned to deal with it because god drat that was such a gorgeous piece of hardware back then.

I still love the "glass" style seethru shoulder buttons on sony handhelds, weird clickiness and all. Made me feel like a real grown up boy unlike those Nintendo loving preschoolers with their Mickey mouse ears and tamagochis

Yeah the PSP was really flashy for the first five minutes after you took it out of the box before every single inch of it was covered in fingerprints. I still don't know why they made the finish so glossy.

Here's a fun fact: The PSP had a higher initial MSRP than the Switch Lite.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pretty good posted:

The screen was much higher-res than any other handheld console up til then and the console could do 3D games way better than the DS, with games like Peace Walker feeling like downscaled console games
so you kinda just put up with the awkward, barely-functional design and the flimsy UMDs and the fact that it sounded like the system was gonna take off into orbit every time you hit the pause button in kingdom hearts

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

All joking aside I wish I'd spent more time with my PSP back in the day. It was a great console. I think it was pretty profitable too, even though it never reached the highs of the Nintendo DS.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my biggest gaming regret is selling my modded psp slim and ds lite + flashcarts for rent money. i should have just been a homeless gamer instead

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
PSPs didn't vaporize or anything, although most OEM batteries have gone bad. Either way, they're not that hard to source--or at least, weren't pre-pandemic. It's not too late!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna mod my Switch to run a PSP emulator to run a SNES emulator to play Link's Awakening on Super Game Boy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

At this point a homebrew vita is just better than a PSP. You can even run all the PSP homebrew on it if you want to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

PSPs didn't vaporize or anything, although most OEM batteries have gone bad. Either way, they're not that hard to source--or at least, weren't pre-pandemic. It's not too late!

I pulled mine out to play SotN a few months back and the battery had inflated. It made me sad because I'm too lazy to mod my Vita

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

I pulled mine out to play SotN a few months back and the battery had inflated. It made me sad because I'm too lazy to mod my Vita

Modding your vita is the easiest thing. You just go to a website and press a button.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Andrast posted:

Modding your vita is the easiest thing. You just go to a website and press a button.

The hard part is making it play nicely with an SD card.
I somehow borked a 200gb one with the adapter. Better off just buying an android tablet and grip or one of those emulator consoles

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whatever happened to the Switch version of Outer Worlds that was supposed to come out in march?

Edit: not that I would recommend anyone play it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

precision posted:

Whatever happened to the Switch version of Outer Worlds that was supposed to come out in march?

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1244972974840528896?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

It’s out in June.

It’s a fine game. It’s no new Vegas but it got crapped on a lot as part of the Disco Elysium hype.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Andrast posted:

Well poo poo. Presumably I'll want to unlink my psn account from it right? Do we have a thread for vita Homebrew?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s out in June.

It’s a fine game. It’s no new Vegas but it got crapped on a lot as part of the Disco Elysium hype.

It's just not very good and that is entirely unrelated to Disco Elysium. Even the writing is bethesda tier and that's usually Obsidian's strong suit.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s out in June.

If it was $30-40 I think folks would find it a lot more palatable

As a company's first foray into full-3d asset generation I think it's a forgivable stepping stone with some interesting moments.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Well poo poo. Presumably I'll want to unlink my psn account from it right? Do we have a thread for vita Homebrew?

I didn't unlink my psn account and have even used it to download games from PSN onto it while having the console homebrewed. I haven't gotten banned or anything (but it has admittedly been a while since I did anything with my Vita).

Your mileage may wary though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

It's just not very good and that is entirely unrelated to Disco Elysium. Even the writing is bethesda tier and that's usually Obsidian's strong suit.

Yep. I didn't even play DE until months after. It's just not good.

Maybe the new DLC will be good but eh.