Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Wolfenstein II is leaving XGP in a week and a half, so I guess I should play it. It's better than The Old Blood, right? TNO was good but didn't care for what I played of TOB very much

also, Rakuen is really good, even though I don't care much for RPGMaker and wish it ran on a more modern 2D engine like Unity or GameMaker

2 is way better than TOB and it has some of the best story sequences in an FPS that is otherwise about shotgunning through Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Liked the story; hated the gameplay.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lmao, Final Fantasy XV really dives off a cliff once you get on the boat. This is Xenogears disc 2 level shenanigans. Insane that they built this massive, hugely detailed open world and then couldn’t rewrite their (awful!) script so that the second half of the game could take place in it and instead you just ride a train from exposition dump to exposition dump.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao, Final Fantasy XV really dives off a cliff once you get on the boat. This is Xenogears disc 2 level shenanigans. Insane that they built this massive, hugely detailed open world and then couldn’t rewrite their (awful!) script so that the second half of the game could take place in it and instead you just ride a train from exposition dump to exposition dump.

To be fair to it, that director that came in basically had a bunch of half-finished assets and a story outline that he was told to make into a game in like 18 months.
That they got the first half of the game out of it was a miracle.

It does completely fall apart though and Nomura's original outline sounds amazing in comparison to the story we got.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I posted this in the gifting thread, but it should probably also be mentioned here, as it's a promo for Evil Genius 2: World Domination

Fart of Presto posted:

Evil Genius is free on Steam, if you link your Steam account with a Rebellion account.

Info in this announcement:
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/3720/view/2180249891504014167

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Doom Eternal is the Shadow Warrior 2 to Doom 2016's Shadow Warrior 1. If you like the gameplay changes enough in you'll be fine, but they come at the expense of everything else being worse, in many cases much worse.
I never played Shadow Warrior, but this seems accurate. I loved the gameplay changes, I think the combat is better than 2016 and I had a blast with the game (I beat it on Hell on Earth then went straight to Nightmare right after finishing it). Despite that, I must admit almost every other change was for the worse.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doom Eternal>>>>>>Doom 2016 and it's not even close.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It does completely fall apart though and Nomura's original outline sounds amazing in comparison to the story we got.

What was his plan?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

GrandpaPants posted:

What was his plan?

Italian mafia power-struggle.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

nah.

DE is a lose connection of some fun arenas that look almost all worse as RebDOOMt, way too much gamey that just taint the atmosphere and overall a lot more forgettable. The entire game is badly paced and level design is constantly in fight with the theme of the game.

It's not bad by any means, but sure not a very good as a linear FPS, which just is the Doom genre.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

What was his plan?

You can read about it here:
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

So part cold-war with one advanced nation lording over the rest with internal political repression. From the trailers it really seemed like it would start/take part in the capital city with a cool cyberpunk aesthetic. There's also just a lot more brutal fighting in the early trailers too, lots of blood and impaling people with magic spears.

Not that the roadtrip that we got wasn't fun but the ending was the same as it ever was, and I think the original intent was to more thoroughly subvert "you are the one chosen by the crystal" blah blah

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jamfrost posted:

I was the same.
You get to duel wield these huge guns but the gun feedback is weak and the damage indicators are incredibly subtle so its often hard to figure out where you're being shot from. You start off with this mech suit that allows you to move incredibly fast, but you have half health so you die super fast. It also tries to be a stealth game at times but has awful stealth mechanics. Its basically incredible confused at what type of shooter it is and so does everything poorly. I gave up about half way through the game and just watched a lets play to see the rest of the story.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 6, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone checking out Evil Genius might be interested in this mod. It basically smooths over some rough edges. There's a minor gameplay overhaul that seems interesting as well, but there isn't really a changelog anywhere to look at.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haldolium posted:

nah.

way too much gamey
Good, I like to play videogames. And I replayed 2016 right before and lol, it's also nothing more than a bunch of arenas stapled together but with almost nothing going on between and a pretty bland aesthetic with only two real tilesets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You can read about it here:
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

So part cold-war with one advanced nation lording over the rest with internal political repression. From the trailers it really seemed like it would start/take part in the capital city with a cool cyberpunk aesthetic. There's also just a lot more brutal fighting in the early trailers too, lots of blood and impaling people with magic spears.

Not that the roadtrip that we got wasn't fun but the ending was the same as it ever was, and I think the original intent was to more thoroughly subvert "you are the one chosen by the crystal" blah blah
That doesn't not describe FF13 and Type 0 and look at how those turned out in retrospect. I think it's safe to say crystals are geopolitical kingmakers that brand super heroes to do their bidding sounds cooler on paper than what they were going to practically achieve in the FF13 series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

It has some of the worst level design I’ve ever seen. The NYC level was too convoluted for something where everything looked the same. I got turned around one time and that spiralled to being so lost I just gave up on the game.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone checking out Evil Genius might be interested in this mod. It basically smooths over some rough edges. There's a minor gameplay overhaul that seems interesting as well, but there isn't really a changelog anywhere to look at.

It’s a great game but it definitely needs the unofficial patch, they definitely had to rush it out the door so it’s missing some polish.

Mordja posted:

I loved all the tools you have on cool down. You’re basically hopping around like a lunatic blasting enemies and using all the tools in your arsenal to turn them in supply piñatas. Game rules. I still have to finish it, though, I was sick for a week and didn’t get to play it and now I feel like I have to start over to get the skill back to actually handle the late game stuff. Last time I tried to play it I felt in a bit over my head.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Warsaw seems like a pretty fun Darkest Dungeon clone, liking it so far

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So how's the MS Gamepass thing? It's kinda cheap here (~US$3) and it has quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing but don't have any intention of paying full price for.

I know about the weird inaccesible folder issue, but other than that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Other than that it's really good and you get access to an amazing amount of really good content you otherwise might never touch.

Well, when it works. Some people report persistent problems, but just as many people are really happy with it.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Edmond Dantes posted:

So how's the MS Gamepass thing? It's kinda cheap here (~US$3) and it has quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing but don't have any intention of paying full price for.

Other than the issue I had after uninstalling, I played lots of good games and then canceled it once the discount ran out. If there's anything at all that catches your eye definitely give it a run. It's definitely worth it at intro price and somewhat worth it at full price depending on what games you want to play and what you may already own elsewhere.

I canceled because you can't have everything and while there's still things I would play, I try to curate what I own a bit.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 6, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked Doom 2016 because it kind of felt like Platinum Games made a first person shooter. I dunno if Doom Eternal strikes that same feeling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can/should you use both at the same time?

Edit: looks like there's a patch here allowing you to do that: https://www.nexusmods.com/evilgenius/mods/26?tab=files

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 6, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like it, but I still often buy games that are on it just to not have to worry about losing access or dealing with the download manager sucking. It’s great for stuff I want to try, or small games I don’t plan on going back to. If it’s something I know I want, I basically always buy it.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Okay, I am feeling like creating my own naruto and looking at Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Strikers. The stand alone game is 10, the deluxe is 20, and the season 1 pass is 7.50. Does the deluxe version come with anything else besides the season pass? Looks like it is cheapest to buy them separately.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does Doom Eternal play well with a controller? The missus gifted it to me for my birthday but somewhere between Doom 2016 and like hundreds of hours of Destiny 2, my shoulder screams at me for playing games with mouse/keyboard any longer than like 20 minutes at a time. Just wondering if I should jump in and embrace it with the controller or wait until my next inevitable cortisone shot to play it properly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: MS Game Pass

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty much like what I had in mind; there's a bunch of games in there that I want to play but I don't see myself going back to after I'm done (say, Gears 4-5) so I wouldn't mind losing access to them when I invariably let my subscription lapse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Does Doom Eternal play well with a controller? The missus gifted it to me for my birthday but somewhere between Doom 2016 and like hundreds of hours of Destiny 2, my shoulder screams at me for playing games with mouse/keyboard any longer than like 20 minutes at a time. Just wondering if I should jump in and embrace it with the controller or wait until my next inevitable cortisone shot to play it properly.

I have played it exclusively on a controller and it works fine, especially with all the abilities you have being basically on one hand. You don’t really need fine aim, the weak points are all huge and it’s more about mobility than clicking heads anyway.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I've got similar issues due to career work, it's great with controller. I'm pretty sure I'm not an aiming god but I pretty consistently snap shot weakpoints with the shotgun grenade attachment at pretty long distances, the projectile hitboxes are pretty generous. The rest of it is so frantic and fast that you're not often relying on precision play anyways. Whether there's some autoaim in the code or just how the game is structured it has rarely been an issue.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nyaa posted:

Try Farm Together. I haven't played, but it got a very positive review and it is exactly what you want.

I personally do not recommend Farm Together if you're looking for a HM/Stardew like, it's basically just 3d Farmville. No story content just plop buildings/crops/animals with real-time timers some proc gen quests and light customization, hard pass if you're looking for something on the Sim end or the farm story lifesim end.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 6, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

threelemmings posted:

I've got similar issues due to career work, it's great with controller. I'm pretty sure I'm not an aiming god but I pretty consistently snap shot weakpoints with the shotgun grenade attachment at pretty long distances, the projectile hitboxes are pretty generous. The rest of it is so frantic and fast that you're not often relying on precision play anyways. Whether there's some autoaim in the code or just how the game is structured it has rarely been an issue.

The shotgun grenades for sure will snap to weak points when they get close.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have played it exclusively on a controller and it works fine, especially with all the abilities you have being basically on one hand. You don’t really need fine aim, the weak points are all huge and it’s more about mobility than clicking heads anyway.

threelemmings posted:

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be RIPPING and TEARING very soon then.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The shotgun grenades for sure will snap to weak points when they get close.

Yeah those are obvious, stuff like the ballista is harder to tell but likely has some snap to target. Either way I try to play more controller than not these days and this game is friendly to that. Who knew one day I'd have to not play video games cause they're too hard on my body!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be RIPPING and TEARING very soon then.

just not the shoulder, hopefully

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Internet Explorer posted:

just not the shoulder, hopefully

lol, yeah that damage is already done for the most part. :smith:

Being old sucks, don't age.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrNutt posted:

lol, yeah that damage is already done for the most part. :smith:

Being old sucks, don't age.

Just go glory kill someone and you should be good as new

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive tried out a few demos over the last couple days.

slime san: older game, on sale right now. hard, fast, smooth platformer. you know the type. the thing that made me really interested was seeing all the different slime "mods" that change how you play like having double dashes but slower walk speed and stuff. looks like a lot of content (and a level editor) for $6. if the color palette turns you off it has several preset options and full blown color sliders so you can change it. https://store.steampowered.com/app/473530/Slimesan_Superslime_Edition/

lumote: cute puzzle platformer. chill atmosphere, pretty environment. was kind of sad when the demo ended and want to play more. https://store.steampowered.com/app/791240/Lumote/

kunai: im not sure about this one. moving with the kunais feels kind of cool but im not sure how it will work when you need to be precise with them. aesthetic is pretty neat. the demo portion was fun and i wishlisted it but i think i will wait for a good sale and it might be the kind of game that i just never end up buying even at like $5. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1001800/KUNAI/

monster train: familiar slay the spire kind of stuff with a twist. there have been a ton of "deckbuilding roguelikes" shat out over the last couple years but this one seems pretty polished compared to a lot of them. you have a card playing phase like normal followed by a combat phase where minions you play hack at the guys boarding your train. instead of different classes like slay you have more of a magic thing where you have different factions (colors) with focuses and you pick 2(?) of them. the whole aspect of being on a train doesnt seem like it really adds anything other than context for moving through the map but whatever, you gotta do something to stand out in this genre. i wishlisted it and will see what reviews look like at launch. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102190/Monster_Train/

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DrNutt posted:

I think it falls shorter on the intensity and I didn't really like playing it with a controller, but I think it will overall just fine. I did go through it for 30h with M/K prior to that so thats a factor too. Some stuff sure is less juggeling on a controller layout as it is on the keyboard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I finished episode 1 of Life is Strange and aside from wanting to guillotine almost every single character I get the feeling I play the game 'wrong' by not rewinding every choice.

I feel like the game expects you to do this so a normal 1-2 hour episode is supposed to be 3-4 instead.

I don't really care about the other side of the coin and all the "x will remember this" and "this will cause consequences" hits pretty hollow since Telltale beat the idea to death and in reality it doesn't change all the much.

I like it enough as a VN/walking simulator to keep playing and saw someone once basically describe it as Crunchy Hipster Manic Pixie Twin Peaks so I'm wholly invested in seeing that play out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
No, that's pretty much how it goes for everyone, except that LiS did the consequences thing much better than Telltale ever hoped, until the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pentyne posted:

I finished episode 1 of Life is Strange and aside from wanting to guillotine almost every single character I get the feeling I play the game 'wrong' by not rewinding every choice.

I feel like the game expects you to do this so a normal 1-2 hour episode is supposed to be 3-4 instead.

I don't really care about the other side of the coin and all the "x will remember this" and "this will cause consequences" hits pretty hollow since Telltale beat the idea to death and in reality it doesn't change all the much.

I like it enough as a VN/walking simulator to keep playing and saw someone once basically describe it as Crunchy Hipster Manic Pixie Twin Peaks so I'm wholly invested in seeing that play out.

Is it like mandatory that every games poster be this perpetually miserable shitlord who doesn't recall what it was like to be young and stupid or something? Or were y'all just the "smarter than everyone else" insufferable shitheads when you were that age?

I guess if nothing else you can have a couple points for not describing it as "twee"