Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i heard the outer worlds was also extremely short, like less than 20 hours, which seems odd for a full-priced rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
why is everyone talking about the psp when the Nokia ngage existed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think my playthrough took around 20 hours but I rushed through the end since I was tired of the game and just wanted to see if anything interesting was going to happen with the writing (nothing interesting happened)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mad Wack posted:

Because who the hell had one of those?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Len posted:

Well poo poo. Presumably I'll want to unlink my psn account from it right? Do we have a thread for vita Homebrew?

There's a "Nintendo homebrew" thread but that's just the title, it's really a catchall. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Weedle posted:

i heard the outer worlds was also extremely short, like less than 20 hours, which seems odd for a full-priced rpg

I did everything and finished around 20 yeah. It also felt shorter than it already was. "Half baked" is the term here

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are we still talking about the PSP? Cause I love the boot up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulb6Ic4517g

Also playing Tekken 7 reminded how much I loved playing PSP version of Tekken 5.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Mad Wack posted:

That's what the Switch is missing: sidetalkin'

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just comparing outer worlds side by side with New Vegas it comes up pretty short.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fallout new vegas... now that was a good-rear end video game

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The Nokia marketing people actually said "The Game Boy is for children" while they were hyping up the N-Gage. Obviously, the N-Gage was going to be a much more sophisticated product for mature adults.

They also had a bunch of mature ads for mature adults, such as this one:

edit: Here's more of these quality ads (holy poo poo there is an n-gage wiki :psyduck:)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 6, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Weedle posted:

fallout new vegas... now that was a good-rear end video game

I started replaying it last week and I swear it hasn’t aged a day. Still one of those games where I can sit down and have hours go by without noticing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

They're cowards for not doing the horny ones on tv

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are we still talking about the PSP? Cause I love the boot up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulb6Ic4517g

Also playing Tekken 7 reminded how much I loved playing PSP version of Tekken 5.

Everybody I knew with a hacked psp replaced the default game boot with the one from Prince of Persia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxS85ui1uL0

Fuckin tell me that's not badass holy poo poo

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

My favorite half remembered fact about the NGage was that changing games required you to remove the battery from the device. No idea if that’s true but it’s what I can remember about the NGage 17 years later.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I went to college with a guy who got an ngage for a dollar because the phone store he worked for was trying so badly to get rid of them

He still felt ripped off

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

My favorite half remembered fact about the NGage was that changing games required you to remove the battery from the device. No idea if that’s true but it’s what I can remember about the NGage 17 years later.

yup

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Outer Worlds is definitely worth up to $20 if you're starving for a WRPG.

The PSP and Vita were the GOAT handheld systems, easily. I miss them so. :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I paid $0 for Outer Worlds and that 20 hours would have been better spent playing picross (or replaying a good rpg)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is anyone else playing Sunless Seas? I avoided it on PC but picked it up on the eshop last week for some reason. I'm typically not a fan of story driven games, but I'm pretty addicted to this stupid thing. It's a good combination of competent writing, good atmosphere, and serviceable roguelike mechanics. The Switch port seems good, my only real complaint so far is the initial load time is long.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Andrast posted:

I paid $0 for Outer World and that 20 hours would have been better spent playing picross (or replaying a good rpg)

I feel that way about Outer Wilds coincidentally.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Len posted:

I pulled mine out to play SotN a few months back and the battery had inflated. It made me sad because I'm too lazy to mod my Vita

Yeah and the knockoff batteries are real fuckin bad. I heard you can solder your way to freedom as long as you have a chip from the OEM batteries but even portable SotN isn't worth blowing myself up in a lithium ion explosion. My Slim is a museum piece at this point.

Speaking of which, is Bloodstained any good? I miss portable AoS/DoS/SotN/etc real bad.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Every day during my lunch break or before bed I do the Tetris 99 daily challenges and load up Animal Crossing to check what’s for sale etc.

What other games have daily stuff like that where it has an incentive to pop on and play for a bit?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ogmius815 posted:

You had to hold it edge-on to take calls.

Which meant the screen was facing forward (or back, I guess), not towards your ear.

brb, sidetalkin on my banana phone

Also it had a vertically oriented screen. :wtc:
Portrait mode only gaming before it was cool.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah and the knockoff batteries are real fuckin bad. I heard you can solder your way to freedom as long as you have a chip from the OEM batteries but even portable SotN isn't worth blowing myself up in a lithium ion explosion. My Slim is a museum piece at this point.

Speaking of which, is Bloodstained any good? I miss portable AoS/DoS/SotN/etc real bad.

Bloodstained is exactly what you want if you want a continuation of those. Iga didn't miss a beat.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just went through the Coming Soon page on the eshop and learned that Super Mega Baseball 3 is coming out next week! Looks like it's promising more customization options, more animations (breaking bats, hit by pitch reactions, pitcher taunts, etc.), more stadiums, and a full-on franchise/GM mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrzmECYkyc

This video mentions a free demo that allows unlimited pennant race play to reduce matchmaking times, as well as cross-play for pennant race between PC, Xbone, PS4 and Switch.

At $60CAD they are certainly pushing beyond what I would normally pay for a non-licensed indie sports game, but I've had tonnes of fun with the two previous iterations, so I can totally see myself taking the plunge if we get some kind of launch week 10-15% discount.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is anyone else playing Sunless Seas? I avoided it on PC but picked it up on the eshop last week for some reason. I'm typically not a fan of story driven games, but I'm pretty addicted to this stupid thing. It's a good combination of competent writing, good atmosphere, and serviceable roguelike mechanics. The Switch port seems good, my only real complaint so far is the initial load time is long.
I've looked at the game on the eshop (and previously on Steam) but I still have no idea what the actual game is :iiam:

what's it like to play

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Andrast posted:

I paid $0 for Outer Worlds and that 20 hours would have been better spent playing picross

hell yea

If you compound all the Picross S titles and themed games (e.g. Picross Lord of the Nazarick, Kemono Friends) I'm easily hundreds of hours deep.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bloodstained is exactly what you want if you want a continuation of those. Iga didn't miss a beat.

For real it specifically feels like a spiritual success to the Aria/Dawn of Sorrow games in tons of ways

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Hedonist posted:

Yeah, it's super good. Those guys have been building that world forever, it used to be a free online sort of visual novel MMO.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Did the Switch version ever get fixed?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Did the Switch version ever get fixed?

Yep! Switch version is very playable now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

Existing was basically all it could do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Isn't the ngage also the one with a memory leak problem that eventually overwrote its own bootloader? In other words, leaks bad enough to brick itself.

E: half-remembered, it could fill its memory completely and refuse to boot past the initial white screen

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 6, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

my first and only reaction to the n-gage was "what an oddly shaped phone"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

precision posted:

I did everything and finished around 20 yeah. It also felt shorter than it already was. "Half baked" is the term here

I dunno, granted i got it on Game Pass but i was actually content with Outer Worlds being just 20 hours long. Sometimes 40+ hour games, especially of this RPG type, are just way too long and become a slog to play after a while.

I'd rather have a half decently scripted 20 hour plot than tedious sidequests that lead to some temporary piece of equipment you discard as soon as you get past the next one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The PSP was impressive at the time but mine had so many problems (dead pixels, stuck buttons, UMDs wouldn’t load) that I never bought another one after mine was stolen and just stuck with my DS. I didn’t bother with Vita at all.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Kikkoman posted:

I just went through the Coming Soon page on the eshop and learned that Super Mega Baseball 3 is coming out next week! Looks like it's promising more customization options, more animations (breaking bats, hit by pitch reactions, pitcher taunts, etc.), more stadiums, and a full-on franchise/GM mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrzmECYkyc

This video mentions a free demo that allows unlimited pennant race play to reduce matchmaking times, as well as cross-play for pennant race between PC, Xbone, PS4 and Switch.

At $60CAD they are certainly pushing beyond what I would normally pay for a non-licensed indie sports game, but I've had tonnes of fun with the two previous iterations, so I can totally see myself taking the plunge if we get some kind of launch week 10-15% discount.

SMB2 was great, and I don’t care even a little bit about Baseball as a sport. They managed to make it just pure fun to play regardless. Can’t wait for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your Computer posted:

what's it like to play

I kinda remember playin' it for a bit on PC and you want a good sound system (or headphones), it to be both nighttime and dark, and then you kinda don't wanna engage with the gamey bits as much as you can.

Like you sail around and try to manage food and fuel and fear bars and it's ambient and chill and I wouldn't mind the combat if it weren't so super-janky and punishing-feeling when a thing blows you up.

I think overall I liked it but it would've been better as a randomized but not roguelike experience. The deaths and restarting really don't add anything to it, 'cause I don't think it's much of a 'git gud' style of game. You accumulate goodness through time investment.