Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Nick mocked them for all their Gen-X references then immediately made a millenial reference ("we're their Frank Grimes")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oh yeah gimme that ufo content, love it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao holy poo poo this podcast that did a review of cumtown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbyqcAPcD34

"the hosts dont even introduce themselves"

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbyqcAPcD34&t=1126s
and then the 3rd guy told a joke and the other 2 guys dont even laugh at it

Actually listening to this whole thing was kind of unbearable because of how unfunny the hosts were but the part where they premiere a soundboard of a guy saying "no poo poo sherlock" on repeat to own nick for not having a job was that kind of anti comedy that wraps back around to being extremely good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

d&d is a bad game and i hate anyone who pretends it isn't

It takes too long, slow as hell, full of nerds. Now compared this to L4D where I can hit all the events, outrun them and leave them to kill my allies. That's fun.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i heard y'all like podcasts? they let anybody on those things.

https://sofrep.com/sofrep-radio/episode-322-sgm-mike-vining-shares-stories-origins-delta-force/

https://sofrep.com/sofrep-radio/episode-342-mike-vining-returns-to-discuss-post-vietnam-service/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hooplah posted:

Oh my god how can they comment on how cum town "breaks all the rules of being a good podcast" then talk about how successful they are with zero reflection, followed by a bunch of hacky shock jock sound effects

my favorite part was when the one guy talked about finding out nick has been on jim norton's show because they have a paid subscription to anthony cumia's show

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually listening to this whole thing was kind of unbearable because of how unfunny the hosts were but the part where they premiere a soundboard of a guy saying "no poo poo sherlock" on repeat to own nick for not having a job was that kind of anti comedy that wraps back around to being extremely good

ya that part was unbelievable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

It takes too long, slow as hell, full of nerds. Now compared this to L4D where I can hit all the events, outrun them and leave them to kill my allies. That's fun.

https://fiascoplaysets.com/search/?q=zombie

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

i appreciate him letting us know that was the intro to their new segment where they play a clip of someone saying no poo poo sherlock in response to another clip for comedic purposes so that there was no confusion about why they played a clip of someone saying no poo poo sherlock in response to another clip for comedic purposes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hooplah posted:

Elaborate? Their entire brand as i see it is based around their lack of irony or snideness

gimme the dirt

No official dirt, they're just the platonic ideal of the awful smarmy super-woke conflict averse nerd fodder, everything is pastel uwu bullshit where all the characters are black trans disabled and queer but played by straight white guys. There's something deeply off-putting about it how calculated it all is, especially in combination with doing poo poo like making videos of their Karen rear end wives berating retail workers

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i appreciate him letting us know that was the intro to their new segment where they play a clip of someone saying no poo poo sherlock in response to another clip for comedic purposes so that there was no confusion about why they played a clip of someone saying no poo poo sherlock in response to another clip for comedic purposes

No poo poo Sherlock

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D&D is bad when somebody’s trying to tell you some boring rear end wimpy story they cobbled together from all the nerd poo poo they like and it’s good when you are crawling endless dungeons to collect a necromancer skull or escape an island of traps and maybe learn a few nuggets of spooky lore.

I really can not get into rules light storytelling bullshit because the contrived drama that dorks like is always less fun than the saga that evolves from a simple premise with real stakes for failure.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Almost all podcast D&D is insufferable children’s stories for adults that for some reason pretend to use the “mechanics” of a game designed to kill goblins in a maze.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is why I'm just playing neverwinter nights. Daelan Red-Tiger isn't a smarmy prick

Serf
May 5, 2011

d&d was at its best, 4th edition, when it embraced the fact that it was a combat engine and gave everyone cool poo poo to do in fights

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
an orc with fibromyalgia who nevertheless accompanies the party with bed and all would be pretty fun, the McElroys don’t sound too bad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

people just projecting all of their anxieties about the sanders campaign on chapo as if a podcast that 200k young people spread across the entire world listen to couldve swayed an election if they made better arguments ftw

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

where all the characters are black trans disabled and queer

LOL you don't say, tell me more

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The anxiety economy is the freest market of them all

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Doc Hawkins posted:

d&d is a bad game and i hate anyone who pretends it isn't

it's a bad game, but it's harmless and more social than yelling at a bunch of random dickheads on Counter-Strike

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I've never listened to any of their stuff but your description is reminding me of that gawker essay about smarm

I just read that whole essay and i enjoyed it.

quote:

Over time, it has become clear that anti-negativity is a worldview of its own, a particular mode of thinking and argument, no matter how evasively or vapidly it chooses to express itself. For a guiding principle of 21st century literary criticism, BuzzFeed's Fitzgerald turned to the moral and intellectual teachings of Walt Disney, in the movie Bambi: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

The line is uttered by Thumper, Bambi's young bunny companion, but its attribution is more complicated than that—Thumper's mother is making him recite a rule handed down by his father, by way of admonishing her son for unkindness. It is scolding, couched as an appeal to goodness, in the name of an absent authority.

very correct and applies well to what i was talking about

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
D&D is fun when you're playing it but much like listening to other people tell you about their dreams, I largely find other people's d&d stories insufferable

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

No official dirt, they're just the platonic ideal of the awful smarmy super-woke conflict averse nerd fodder, everything is pastel uwu bullshit where all the characters are black trans disabled and queer but played by straight white guys. There's something deeply off-putting about it how calculated it all is, especially in combination with doing poo poo like making videos of their Karen rear end wives berating retail workers

yea they started out directly ripping off jokes from uhh yeah dude and saying slurs and then they gradually triangulated into making nerd irony jokes but in a way thats not mean spirited and then the d&d podcast blew up among (what im guessing are) steven universe type people and now this poo poo is just their brand

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Steven universe was good until they didn't shatter the big tiddy space hitlers

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hooplah posted:

Elaborate? Their entire brand as i see it is based around their lack of irony or snideness

gimme the dirt

They are pretty ironic and snide, they just don't hate any of the people the make fun of. They also don't make fun of anybody worth hating

I like their video game stuff.

They're d&d podcast was incredibly low-effort in the beginning, but they just kept doing it and recording it. I guess its easier to keep a campaign running when everybody involved is family.

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 02:06 on May 7, 2020

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Y'all can shut the gently caress up, Rude Tales of Magic is an amazing podcast and Bransen Reese is the ideal DM :colbert:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hooplah posted:

I just read that whole essay and i enjoyed it.

very correct and applies well to what i was talking about

holy poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

imagine dying to protect Bob Dole.

quote:

the story of him watching the demise of his teammate Sgt. Maj. Kenneth Foster in his heroic attempt to defuse a bomb during a rally featuring then Vice Presidential candidate Bob Dole, at a rally taking place at an Illinois high school.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nikosoft posted:

Y'all can shut the gently caress up, Rude Tales of Magic is an amazing podcast and Bransen Reese is the ideal DM :colbert:

Rude tales of magic is the only good podcast

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

LOL you don't say, tell me more

Yeah I see what you're trying to do there and it's not going to work

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

what if it was bob's hole and just for the fellas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Percelus posted:

what if it was bob's hole and just for the fellas

he's in a wheelchair now, so he can only feel it in his soul

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god he's still alive

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

holy poo poo bob dole is still alive?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
D&D is cool is you're having fun, bad if you're not.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

D&D is cool is you're having fun, bad if you're not.

New forum subtitle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

New forum subtitle

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i should have been more specific: it is a bad pen and paper rpg. it is the monopoly of rpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

if i went through an experience like that, maybe i would try to invade venezuela too