Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

Or sub-commanders in charge of each wing of the battle, possibly with a reserve. It’s not one man trying to maneuver 150,000, it’s three generals commanding 50,000-man armies and working in tandem.

It’s also hilarious how Alexander beat Darius’ unstoppable army- no complicated pincer move or double envelopment, just charge Darius directly with your elite troops, and make him flee for his life or die in his chariot.

I feel like a lot of Alexander's battles came down to surprisingly straight forward charges like that.

There's also a theory that at the battle of Graniculus Alexander probably wasn't even really in charge after the initial cavalry engagement. This is because during that engagement, Alexander was hit in the head from behind with an ax and was almost certainly badly concussed. The blow was so powerful it actually split his helmet in two and left Alexander reeling in his own blood. Even if he didn't suffer head trauma, I can't imagine charging into a melee makes command and control any easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fly Molo posted:

Or sub-commanders in charge of each wing of the battle, possibly with a reserve. It’s not one man trying to maneuver 150,000, it’s three generals commanding 50,000-man armies and working in tandem.

It’s also hilarious how Alexander beat Darius’ unstoppable army- no complicated pincer move or double envelopment, just charge Darius directly with your elite troops, and make him flee for his life or die in his chariot.

This is my strategy in warcraft 3 and it usually works lol

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’d assume that there are few things that would make a cohort break than seeing their leader flee for their life. Even dying in battle would probably have some sort of fortifying affect.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

Even dying in battle would probably have some sort of fortifying affect.

The examples I know of historically the death if a leader was killed it wasn't good for morale, see William lifting his helmet on the Bayeux tapestry for instance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that tactically it's extremely disheartening for your commander to flee, but there's also the political angle where if the entire union of the Empire is embodied in one person (who may be a god or representative of god? I'm never really sure which ancient monarchs are supposed to be god-kings), then when that guy abandons the army, there's all of a sudden nothing to fight for.

The highest authority that you're supposed to be organized under is gone, and unless you're just personally really keen on the battle, then either you chase your paycheck, or you take the opportunity to go desert and find something else worthwhile to do with your life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ask the other guy if he's hiring?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think the other guy's dudes are looking for loot, first, including your clothes. Only then they might look at your cv (and if it's good hold you for ransom)

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

TK-42-1 posted:

I’d assume that there are few things that would make a cohort break than seeing their leader flee for their life. Even dying in battle would probably have some sort of fortifying affect.

Well, Gustaf II Adolf was killed during the Battle of Lutzen and his army still carried the field that day, altough calling that a great victory would be streching things too far. Altough he didn't die in the full view of his army, he took command of some cavalry, charged off and was only later found dead. And General Wolfe was killed during the Battle on the Plains of Abraham and his army also won the battle decisively, and I think he died much more publicly than Gustaf.

And of course Nelson was killed during Trafalgar, but in a naval battle like that the knowledge of what had happened wouldn't have spread to many ships during the fighting itself.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Carillon posted:

News/history divide aside, current events have me rereading about the battle of Gaugamela. There seems to be huge ranges given for the numbers of Persians fighting. That made me curious how these things were calculated. I know there's been some talk about this before, but it seems an interesting intersection between literary sources, any excavation of the battle field if possible, and then deep knowledge of the construction of the state and it's ability to actually assemble people to fight. Even given all that I can't imagine a battle between 150k people in my head, my mind boggles at anyones ability to actually control something like that.

I just trust Herodotus' numbers implicitly :colbert:, makes battles much more fun to imagine.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Listen man, if you can't trust Herodotus who *can* you trust

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

And of course Nelson was killed during Trafalgar, but in a naval battle like that the knowledge of what had happened wouldn't have spread to many ships during the fighting itself.

He died after winning, though, if I recall correctly. It took a while.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

MikeCrotch posted:

Listen man, if you can't trust Herodotus who *can* you trust

A bunch of really stoned scythians in a tent

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

He died after winning, though, if I recall correctly. It took a while.

Was he dead by the time he was dunked into a barrel of brandy, or was that just part of the celebration

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
Now I am imagining scythian Cheech and Chong sitting in their tent and telling a wide-eyed foreign historian " Yeah man, totally, there's this place with, like, giant ants, heh, and they dig
up gold like, all the time man."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
After trying to keep two growing kids fed, I have come to the conclusion that battles are actually impossible. It's just not do-able to get the amount of food required for ten thousand people in the one spot. It's all fake, just like the gold-finding ants.

e: ants are mostly good at finding greyish leaves, actually

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Have you tried taking food from your neighbours

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Achaemanid Empire was very much an empire with a bunch of various occupied and conquered peoples as constituent parts. Each of those conquered peoples would be obligated to contribute troops to the wars. This wasn't like, conscripts or whatever going in to a national army - this was according to their National Character in terms of what they were good at. So you might have the Mardians obligated to contribute, say, 1,500 archers. These would be an independent unit under Mardian leadership that would then be part of the "Achaemenid Army" (for lack of a better term) under Persian command.

So at Gaugamela you have a bunch of these conquered peoples serving Darius, and some of them are of dubious loyalty and just there to make up the numbers. Plus, there's so god drat many people spread over space them that communication is difficult, let alone due to regional linguistic differences. Once battle is joined they all kind of fight separately according to their motivations and capabilities, and ideally they act at least in a non-detrimental way. Most ancient warfare talks about the center and the flanks because basically you just tried to beat the gently caress out of the guys in front of you, meaning that any battle at scale was broken up in to at least 3 related localized engagements, and possibly more based on scale. You'll note that although Alexander decisively reinforced his right wing at Gaugamela and beat the Persian left, he then had to go back and rescue his left wing, which was getting beat up by the Persian right.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So, uh, has any military operation occurred where it kind of fizzled out during the planning phase, have its details published in the mass media under the assumption that it was cancelled and implicitly declassified, and within 24 hours the people in charge pull the trigger anyway and send their troops out to into the jaws of an alerted enemy?

Because this is what appears to have happened. When questioned about it they said they wanted to pull an Alexander the Great. But Alex had the best possible troops at his disposal, and the enemy king lacked that and lacked defensive depth.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Phobophilia posted:

So, uh, has any military operation occurred where it kind of fizzled out during the planning phase, have its details published in the mass media under the assumption that it was cancelled and implicitly declassified, and within 24 hours the people in charge pull the trigger anyway and send their troops out to into the jaws of an alerted enemy?

Because this is what appears to have happened. When questioned about it they said they wanted to pull an Alexander the Great. But Alex had the best possible troops at his disposal, and the enemy king lacked that and lacked defensive depth.

If I was in charge of those guys I would have told them to try to hold in their guts for the team photo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Alexander also seemed acutely aware of his capabilities, while these gents... do not

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fangz posted:

Have you tried taking food from your neighbours

That sounds dreadful!
Foraging, however.....

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kind of assumed that was in the rich tradition of American citizens taking it upon themselves to go forth and conquer with no meaningful support from any sovereign state.

As to your question, I think there's a few times in the Revolutions podcast where all the plotting revolutionaries decided that they wouldn't act until much later, only for something stupid to happen where somebody jumps the gun. Can't remember anything specific though. The French Invasion of Ireland seemed like it had a whole deal where it was kind of abandoned during the planning phases and not given serious resources so that when it actually did happen, it failed miserably. Although maybe I'm confusing that with the much more pathetic invasion of Wales.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty sure that happened in some of the Roman civil wars.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defenestration of Moscow

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's exactly how Alexander was able to do what he did. Enormous numbers of Persians and and their conquered nationalities switched sides, especially after Gaugamela. Not just ordinary soldiers, but high-ranking nobility too, who decided not to go down with the ship after Darius made such a poor showing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

from PYF

Dabir posted:

I've been reading a military technical manual from about 1405 and I'm pretty sure it's an elaborate prank on the people the author was trying to sell it to. Look at this poo poo.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Are those the first known example of 'googley eyes' in the first image?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone know of a good, not too dry, introduction to the Balkans war? It's 75 years ago now, and some of my friends are interested in :knowingmore:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

Anyone know of a good, not too dry, introduction to the Balkans war? It's 75 years ago now, and some of my friends are interested in :knowingmore:

You say that like theres just one :shobon: I can remember at least three or so from the 1990s.

Tias
May 25, 2008

For it to be 75 years, I'm guessing the first balkan war? I better ask

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What if it's in Balkan years?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Somewhat of a similar vein, Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia was leaked and pretty well busted during the July Crises if I remember correctly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nenonen posted:

What if it's in Balkan years?

Our story begins in 1354 as Gallipoli...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tias posted:

For it to be 75 years, I'm guessing the first balkan war? I better ask

I mean that was like 1912 though. 75 years ago would be like... Yugoslavia at the end of WW2?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah VE Day was 75 years ago tomorrow.

Maybe all the partisan shenanigans going down in occupied Yugoslavia?

Tias
May 25, 2008

They were off on the 75 years, what they wanted ot learn about was the 90s Yugoslav wars. Any good suggestions?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I really liked The Balkans by Misha Glenny: it's a general history of the region starting in 1804, so not quite what you're looking for. But he also wrote The Fall of Yugoslavia on the 1990s Balkan wars (but I haven't read it, so I can't comment).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cross posting this from TFRs milsurp thread because it’s cool as gently caress and has a ton of history embedded in it.

DkHelmet posted:

Late to the party due to crushing work, but that's a beautiful Mosin, a goddamn scoop, and on one of my "buy immediately" lists. If you get bored with it call me!

I'd put it next to this Finn'd m91:

Oh poo poo everyone go back and look at this mosin.

See that AZF on the receiver? That’s the mark that the Austrian-Hungarians put on guns they captured and re-issued. (The Germans did something similar FYI)

So that gun was used by the Russians in WW1, captured by the Austro-Hungarians, at the very least rolled into their stocks for potential use, sold by someone to the newly independent Finns in the 20s, and used by the finish army during a period when they were using every rifle they had. Good chance it saw some action in at least the winter war.

Goddamn that is a neat loving mosin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Cyrillic engraving is very elegant.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I noticed in medical texts (nonrepresentative sample size) that in the 17th century people seemed to be knowing what they are writing about and the texts seemed clearly useful in practical terms whereas the older ones were basically "lol look mom I'm printing a book", and this seems to be the engineering equivalent. You kinda wonder about the intended audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

You could argue that the Gallipoli campaign was like that. They did a naval push, completely broadcast their intent, then dicked around and waited for some naval troops. Then they landed in front of the completely prepared turks. I think they just assumed the turkish troops would fold.