Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Leavemywife posted:

And combine this with the new ability to increase experience gained in Mementos (which can increase up to 200%), and you'll easily becomefar stronger than you'll ever need to be. To go further, you can increase money gained, up to 200% as well, and you'll gain yen like nobody's business. With the above, I finished the game at level 97 and with over 3,000,000 yen.

my power curve was just flagrant abuse of money, they let you fuse above your level early on and i literally couldn't spend money fast enough, i had ten million yen in the fifth dungeon and couldn't spend it fast enough just making janky things 20 levels above me, i couldn't stay below 7 mil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Truman Sticks posted:

IMO playing on marathon or epic speed benefits Civs that have early era unique units - such as the Aztecs - because you get more turns to use these units that outclass your opposing Civs.

Oh, for sure! That's another aspect I should've mentioned but forgot about. It's been a while since I played the Civ games.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

The tips for Civ 5 are a little threadbare. Help?

:siren: WARNING :siren: WARNING :siren: WARNING :siren: WARNING :siren:

A new launcher was added a year ago that can gently caress up under certain situations. If you are playing and your CPU is running hot, open the task manager, look for a process called qtwebengine and terminate it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Devil May Cry 5 was on sale. As soon as I started I got a poo poo-ton of pre-order currency which let me buy all the cheap stuff. I know all about the heart-containers and that Devil Hunter is normal difficulty.

How do maintain any kind of flow with when I'm playing Dead Weight? How does Exceed work?

Exceed was already covered, but Nero's flow is through devil breakers. He gets more in his toolkit as the game goes on, he won't feel sparse for options for too long. He gets pretty good mobility off his air attacks too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gynovore posted:

qtwebengine

:wink:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
???

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
qt is a set of widgets for UI creation under Linux, specifically for KDE desktops. It's a bit of a noted resource hog and really not made to be run under Windows systems to start with, although you can.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Eldred posted:

Exceed was already covered, but Nero's flow is through devil breakers. He gets more in his toolkit as the game goes on, he won't feel sparse for options for too long. He gets pretty good mobility off his air attacks too.

The only important devil breaker is the Mega Buster, as it changes your jump animation to Megaman's NES jumping pose.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

flatluigi posted:

You should probably play FF7 before you play the remake, as the remake diverges from the original in a way that'll be genuinely confusing if you never played the original.

I disagree with this. I never played the original and enjoyed the Remake just fine with the least enjoyable aspects of it being the "let's make you watch the animation of Cloud humping a wall to progress" which had nothing to do with the plot. If you have the time then I'm sure playing the original is fine, but it's by no means a requirement to enjoy the remake if you don't happen to have an extra 80 hours of free time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One point I'd like to make here, only half sarcastically, is that the 40 hours it takes you to play OG FFVII - and that really should be plenty, if you play a modern port with like built in cheat engines you can probably knock it out in a weekend or two, although frankly, I doubt it's much fun that way - at least get you the whole story of FFVII as opposed to around a quarter of it with very unclear prospects on when you can even expect more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So will reading the summary on Wikipedia, in all fairness, and it doesn't take fourty hours.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all I really meant by my earlier post is that the plot in the remake diverges in some varyingly significant ways and whenever the remake continues it'll probably diverge even further + as such playing the remake doesn't really supplant or replace playing the original -- and with the gameplay improvements and plot weirdness that doesn't really explain itself if you haven't played the original it's probably worth considering playing the original first

if i came across oddly it was just because i was trying to phrase it in a way that didn't outright spoil the stuff it changes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Suggesting someone play an entire game before they start the one they are asking about instead of just reading a plot synopsis is actually insane hth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can't play FF7 without playing FFs1-6 anyway

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I already said so a few pages ago, but I honestly would recommend at least playing through the Midgar section, which is only a few hours long and right at the beginning of the game. Not because it's necessary, just because they really changed quite a lot and it's kind of fun picking out the new stuff. If you feel up to investing five or six hours into it, it's not a bad idea just to appreciate how far they went to make it feel like almost a completely new game.

VVV I would agree with that, really. It's not needed, but you do miss out on some of the finer touches if you aren't familiar with the original. It's worth making note of that, at least.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 7, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean I can read the Remake plot summary on wikipedia too

Buuut yeah as far as the wiki goes: probably a bad idea to give "play the original first" as advice, but I don't think a bullet point like "the game introduces new plot elements that integrate with and expand upon the original plot, in a way that assumes you're familiar with it" would be entirely out of line, similar to how we point out that Yakuza Kiwami has remake elements introduced that colour the plot and pacing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Suggesting someone play an entire game before they start the one they are asking about instead of just reading a plot synopsis is actually insane hth

it's a loving suggestion, get a grip

people can use their own judgement on whether they want to or not

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SweetBro posted:

I disagree with this. I never played the original and enjoyed the Remake just fine with the least enjoyable aspects of it being the "let's make you watch the animation of Cloud humping a wall to progress" which had nothing to do with the plot.

If it helps, those sections are hiding loading screens

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean I can read the Remake plot summary on wikipedia too

Buuut yeah as far as the wiki goes: probably a bad idea to give "play the original first" as advice, but I don't think a bullet point like "the game introduces new plot elements that integrate with and expand upon the original plot, in a way that assumes you're familiar with it" would be entirely out of line, similar to how we point out that Yakuza Kiwami has remake elements introduced that colour the plot and pacing.

No, there's very specific reasons people are saying "play the original first if you can", it's not a gatekeeping thing. If you want to spoil yourself as to why (endgame thing); The name "FFVII Remake" is using "Remake" as a verb, not a noun...

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 7, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also i've had multiple friends play the remake without having played the original and they were absolutely confused by the way things went by the end, so i thought it'd be helpful to have a note

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Honestly, unless someone has played a game without the previous info AND had a bad time of it, I can't take "You need to play X first" seriously ever. Also this is, after all, Before I Play, not Before I Buy.

EDIT : And as such flatluigi's tip is fine... but could benefits from including the context.

Although to be honest. FF7 was a confusing mess anyway. So sounds like it's just keeping that up.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 7, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

flatluigi posted:

it's a loving suggestion, get a grip

people can use their own judgement on whether they want to or not

Take it easy there, cowpoke

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Getting things back on topic with tips for Undermine:

-Many enemies don't deal damage on contact. Instead, they'll glow red just before they attack. Learn each enemy's pattern, then get all up in their business to attack them back.

-Learn how to dodge enemy attacks and projectiles without jumping. It's harder to control yourself in the air, so only use jumping as a last resort.

-Avoid mining gold until all enemies in a room are defeated. The Pilfer slimes that appear to steal your gold can't damage you, but there's nothing worse than pinballing off enemy attacks while trying to collect your gold.

-You can set food on fire to make it heal you for a bit more.

-Consumable items like keys, bombs, and potions can be destroyed by your attacks, enemy attacks, traps, etc. Don't leave them laying around if you can help it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edited to remove a word

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 7, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love Carl Sagan but this is actually an incorrect hypothesis, on the cosmological scale it would be FAR more likely that some configuration of molecules somewhere recombine to create a working ISO of the original Final Fantasy VII than an entire new universe springs into existence!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I corrected the image to remove the word 'fresh' as that is the opposite of what people were saying.

And now that I've been thinking about that quote of his I want some dang apple pie.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Under Many Worlds interpretation, it's actually far more likely that a new universe is brought into existence than that a new copy of Final Fantasy 7 appears, even with everyone on Earth torrenting FF7.Crack-RELOADED.iso

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
More Civ V stuff:

- The AI is pretty good at waging war across open spaces, and is also skilled at capturing coastal cities with boats. It is not good at maneuvering big armies through small gaps or rough terrain, and is terrible at sending land troops from one landmass to another. Therefore, if you share a landmass with the AI with no bottleneck in between, prepare for war.

- If you mostly enjoy building, turn barbarians off. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

- You should be aiming to keep your people vaguely happy. Negative happiness is bad and -10 or lower is practically a death sentence. However, the only reward for high happiness is points toward a Golden Age, which IMHO isn't too important.

- Internal trade routes are great. They don't transfer food and hammers, they magically create them.

- Religion is very important, always try to be a founder. Pagodas are great.

- Ignore tourism unless you're going for a tourism victory.

- Bombers are a game changer, they make defending your cities effortless and capturing nearby cities easy.

- Good military civs are Japan and China. Good builder civs are India, Poland, Korea, and Babylon.

- Always try for Notre Dame.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any such tips, especially with regards to the AI, for Civ VI? I know the AI is supposed to pursue specific agendas but it just seems like they gang up on you come midgame every time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Are there any such tips, especially with regards to the AI, for Civ VI? I know the AI is supposed to pursue specific agendas but it just seems like they gang up on you come midgame every time.

The AI in 6 is broken and terrible, makes no sense, and acts randomly. So just shoot them all.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pierzak posted:

Anything on Beyond Divinity?
In addition to what AnilEhilated said (though I have to say the ending to Beyond Divinity is surprisingly good, and definitely made me feel more personally invested in the stakes of the now-nearly-forgotten Divinity II: Ego Draconis):

* The Battlegrounds are sort of framed, both in- and out-of-game, as optional, but I found even going through all of them I was still not really that overpowered for the final areas, so the game clearly assumes you are going to go through at least a few of them.

* Oh right, so, depending on what you know about Beyond Divinity... the Battlegrounds are randomly-generated dungeon areas that you can access at various points in the game, I think one per Act? Each one is only randomly generated once, you cannot keep going through the same one over and over. I think.

Also if you are anything like me you will perpetually think "man, I get it that they wanted a built-in co-op option, but I hope they never do another game with multiple protagonists controlled this way." Hmmmmmmmm

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Wonderful 101? I doubt anything gameplay wise was changed in the remaster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything for Wonderful 101? I doubt anything gameplay wise was changed in the remaster.

You need to buy block and dodge from the shop, because apparently someone at Platinum really liked that bad decision.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

In addition to what AnilEhilated said (though I have to say the ending to Beyond Divinity is surprisingly good, and definitely made me feel more personally invested in the stakes of the now-nearly-forgotten Divinity II: Ego Draconis):
Agreed, it's just that getting there is a huge pain in the rear end. And Divinity 2 is a legitimately good game if you don't mind the some outdated mechanics.

Anyway, I'd like to ask about Hades - it is on the wiki but the section is really sparse and I assumed they'd have changed quite a bit on account of the Early Access status; do the tips still apply and is there anything else one should know?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, I'd like to ask about Hades - it is on the wiki but the section is really sparse and I assumed they'd have changed quite a bit on account of the Early Access status; do the tips still apply and is there anything else one should know?

Tip #2 is semi-outdated, as the item it refers to is now known as Nectar, while a different item has been named Ambrosia. Other than that, the game is fairly easy to get into. It's a roguelike; nothing is missable, and you're supposed to learn it yourself piece by piece. I would say that new players should try to get boons from Athena and Aphrodite, as their stuff tends to be good for any build, while other gods are more situational. Be very stingy with your Titan Blood, as it's the most precious resource in the game. All the weapons are fine, but I found the shield was the first one that properly clicked for me. If you get the chance to give yourself extra dashes, take it: movement is life. Sources of healing are few and far between, so just don't get hit ever. I prefer the controller, but a lot of people say M+KB is fine.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Keep an eye out for circles and other geometric patterns in the environment. You can trace these shapes, or draw circles around conspicuous circular objects, to spawn collectibles or sometimes even items or new heroes.

You can encircle small exploding enemies to convert them to your cause. You'll want to do this a lot fairly early on while you're still building up your team and you want to get to 100 people as fast as possible.

When a character's face cuts in from the side of the screen, that's your opportunity for a counterattack. All you need to do is pull out their weapon and they'll do the rest. Attacking while this happens will make you miss the window.

Enemies spawn in with colored circles. Defeat them with the matching weapon and they will drop their own weapon on death. These weapons are insanely powerful and give huge combo bonuses, so it's worth going for them if you can.

Failing QTEs is almost never an actual fail state, you just have to do it again. And it's worth failing some of them because the animation for doing so is hilarious. There's one in particular that unlocks an Easter egg if you fail it several times in a row.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

anilEhilated posted:

If you have the DLC, then Canada is a great Civ for "Leave me the gently caress alone" players since nobody can declare a surprise war on you. You can't do it to them either, but there are other ways to manufacture a war if you so choose (such as through Joint Wars or Special Emergencies).

Just keep in mind that this is the case in Single Player. Other human players are smart enough to find ways around the "No Surprise Wars" condition, so that's not going to be the safety net that it is against AI.

If you're playing other Civs, then I personally find that the AI mid-game gangup usually happens when you don't have a strong army. I know I really like focusing on building territory and output (Production/Science/Culture) rather than dumping time into a lot of military units that just chew through cash as they stand around.

The only way to really keep the AI at arm's length is to try and get them into alliances or Friendship Declarations. I've had them stab me in the back repeatedly at any relationship level below that. Unfortunately, being able to do this is mostly based on who you've got as a neighbour. Some of them are way too pissy to please.

Also, for the love of god, be careful with the trade deals the AI offers you. They love to throw Open Borders into every trade offer and it's almost always used so that they can march a bunch of their military units into your territory before stabbing you in the back a few turns later.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The AI in 6 is broken and terrible, makes no sense, and acts randomly. So just shoot them all.

Also this.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

exquisite tea posted:

I love Carl Sagan but this is actually an incorrect hypothesis, on the cosmological scale it would be FAR more likely that some configuration of molecules somewhere recombine to create a working ISO of the original Final Fantasy VII than an entire new universe springs into existence!!

ah yes, the Boltzmann Brain theory of FF7 Remake

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Krazyface posted:

Tip #2 is semi-outdated, as the item it refers to is now known as Nectar, while a different item has been named Ambrosia. Other than that, the game is fairly easy to get into. It's a roguelike; nothing is missable, and you're supposed to learn it yourself piece by piece. I would say that new players should try to get boons from Athena and Aphrodite, as their stuff tends to be good for any build, while other gods are more situational. Be very stingy with your Titan Blood, as it's the most precious resource in the game. All the weapons are fine, but I found the shield was the first one that properly clicked for me. If you get the chance to give yourself extra dashes, take it: movement is life. Sources of healing are few and far between, so just don't get hit ever. I prefer the controller, but a lot of people say M+KB is fine.

Alternatively, don't be stingy with Titan's blood. Beat at least the first boss with each weapon as you unlock it and then once you find the weapon you click with dump Titan's blood into the first aspect of it. Once you're able to complete a run Titan's blood will start figuratively pouring in and you'll end up with way more than you know what to do with.