Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Kitty Pryde loves finding excuses to say the n-word. It lands exactly as flat every loving time:

She seems like the kind of person who would go out of her way to use niggardly in front of Storm and then give a lecture on its etymology with faux surprise that she didn't already know.

Wow more like Kitty Prejudice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sir Lemming posted:

Excellent

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

So some people decided that any show that had a crossover or character cameo with St. Elsewhere was part of this “Westphall Universe” and shows that crossed over with those shows were as well and so on and so on.
Wasn't just anyone. It was Dwayne McDuffie, genuinely brilliant creative behind a lot of the latter-day DCAU (Static Shock was his baby, and he did a lot of the better parts of JLU, and also Ben 10), who sadly died when he was only 49.

He did it as proof to other comics/superhero turbonerds to not be obsessive about what "counts" and "doesn't" because if you're truly logical and carry every crossover to the logical conclusion you end up with 400+ vastly disparate works that are all technically connected and "happening" simultaneously.

Sir Lemming posted:

Nice

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Zaroff posted:

Did they explain what his deal was? I remember there was a point made about how he seemed to have a lot more money than a cop should, driving flashy cars and so on, but don't remember any explanation as to why (IIRC there were rumours of him being paid off by the mob?)

I don't think so. When they first introduced Briscoe back in season 3, it felt like they wanted him to have a sketchy background and history. However, that seems to have been toned down fairly quickly, so while he had issues having been an alcoholic and working with seemingly dozens of corrupt officers, Lennie was generally a good cop. Fontana seemed to be them trying to go back to the sketchy character, hence his flashy aspects and odd references to whatever happened back in Chicago, but they seemed to bail on that as well.

Fontana didn't get a good introduction, and that didn't help matters, plus the whole replacing Lennie Briscoe weight. Season 15 also suffered with Southerlyn getting replaced by Borgia midway through, who was basically bland and forgettable save for her eventual fate a season later, and the Nick Falco episodes. Season 16 with Fontana and Green was better, and I think by that point they'd gotten solid, but still kinda weaker overall.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Koalas March posted:

What the gently caress. Did he consent to that or was it after he died? What a loving creep

Maybe he consented before he died but I doubt it.

Chain of events:

- Amanda Palmer fakes suicide and records it
- Breaks up with boyfriend
- Boyfriend commits suicide like 6 months later
- Amanda Palmer uses recording in a song!
- Amanda Palmer apologies for this since she was "only a kid" (31)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Also, if we’re talking the original Law & Order and SVU’s John Munch, you may wanna look up Homicide: Life on the Street. They crossed over two or three times during the late 90s, and while I haven’t seen much of it in forever since it’s not in syndication like L&O, I recall it generally being good too.

Yeah, Homicide is very good. It's the prelude to the Wire, basically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

It also had one of the best title translations into Hebrew: "Murder from Red to Black"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On good Law and Orders.

Will second anything with Jerry Orbach is worth watching, (or at the least having on in the bacground), but I have a soft spot for the seasons with Anthony Anderson and the guy who played the girlfriends brother in Six Feet Under. I can't really justify it, but I liked that pairing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Fontana didn't get a good introduction, and that didn't help matters, plus the whole replacing Lennie Briscoe weight. Season 15 also suffered with Southerlyn getting replaced by Borgia midway through, who was basically bland and forgettable save for her eventual fate a season later, and the Nick Falco episodes. Season 16 with Fontana and Green was better, and I think by that point they'd gotten solid, but still kinda weaker overall.

While he was no Lenny I definitely thought Fontana was the best detective brought in after Orbach left. Probably helped that Dennis Farina was an IRL cop for 18 years. I think one more Green/Fontana season could have been really good, and that's not just because of how much of a wet fart Cassidy was.

BrigadierSensible posted:

On good Law and Orders.

Will second anything with Jerry Orbach is worth watching, (or at the least having on in the bacground), but I have a soft spot for the seasons with Anthony Anderson and the guy who played the girlfriends brother in Six Feet Under. I can't really justify it, but I liked that pairing.

Anderson was decent but Lupo always seemed like he was on the verge of falling asleep. Dude just has permanent snooze face.

Arivia posted:

As an added plus it had Andre Braugher as one of the lead detectives. Just imagine it's Captain Holt: The Early Years.

Mr Luxury Yacht has a new favorite as of 02:30 on May 9, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

While he was no Lenny I definitely thought Fontana was the best detective brought in after Orbach left. Probably helped that Dennis Farina was an IRL cop for 18 years. I think one more Green/Fontana season could have been really good, and that's not just because of how much of a wet fart Cassidy was.

I liked Fontana too. I may be misremembering things or some of the timing, but it felt like everyone absolutely hated him in season 15 when it was originally airing, and honestly it wasn't until those seasons hit syndication that I started hearing positive reactions to the character.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pick posted:

Maybe he consented before he died but I doubt it.

Chain of events:

- Amanda Palmer fakes suicide and records it
- Breaks up with boyfriend
- Boyfriend commits suicide like 6 months later
- Amanda Palmer uses recording in a song!
- Amanda Palmer apologies for this since she was "only a kid" (31)

While it doesn't change much, the "only a kid" remark is about the fake suicide itself which she was something like 18. She was 31 when she put it in an album

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s funny watching the first season of Brooklyn 99 and watching Andre Braugher learn how to act comedically. It’s like Data learning how to tell jokes in The Next Generation except in real life.

And then you get to give B99 fans who only know him as Holt loving whiplash by showing them Pembleton extracting a knowingly false confession to prove a point. You want to see cop dramas that really show ACAB, look at Homicide and The Wire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Garrand posted:

While it doesn't change much, the "only a kid" remark is about the fake suicide itself which she was something like 18. She was 31 when she put it in an album

TBH I think it makes it worse because now there's an extra 13 years of self-reflection that obviously didn't happen.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

TBH I think it makes it worse because now there's an extra 13 years of self-reflection that obviously didn't happen.

I completely agree.

If she had released that recording at 18, it would have been a hosed up thing to do, but it would also have been the hosed up poor decision of an 18 year old who didn't know better. (This is being extremely generous to her,)

But by releasing the recording as an adult, she is clearly thinking, "Hey, I did a stupid, hurtful, and hosed up thing when I was a teenager. Let's use that to further my career now. He's dead, so he can't sue." Which cannot be explained away by youth, naivete, or stupidity. It is straight out hosed up.

Not to be "that guy", but I never liked Amanda Palmer. But this was before I knew what a bad person she is. I didn't like her because she, and her public persona always seemed to me to be performatively twee, and extremely pretentious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arivia posted:

It’s funny watching the first season of Brooklyn 99 and watching Andre Braugher learn how to act comedically. It’s like Data learning how to tell jokes in The Next Generation except in real life.

And then you get to give B99 fans who only know him as Holt loving whiplash by showing them Pembleton extracting a knowingly false confession to prove a point. You want to see cop dramas that really show ACAB, look at Homicide and The Wire.

The best part of B99 is that now in the last season or two it’s clear that Holt is by far the craziest person on the squad

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

oldpainless posted:

The best part of B99 is that now in the last season or two it’s clear that Holt is by far the craziest person on the squad

He can't help it his brain is hard.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

christmas boots posted:

Last I checked there were dozens (maybe even up into the hundreds?) of shows that had been folded in and John Munch was responsibility for a staggeringly large number of them.

It’s hundreds of shows and now it’s taking over movies too.

St. Elsewhere -> Homicide -> Arrested Development (through Munch) -> Avengers: Infinity War (Tobias Funke appeared in the background as an easter egg) -> the rest of the MCU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

IIRC there was a musical number that was pretty cringey, but well-intentioned cringe is hardly on the same level as some of the scummy stuff lovely people get up to.

I think the worst thing you could say about Rogers is that he convinced a gay man to get married to a woman, but that one’s been told to death, Clemmons doesn’t hold it against him, and things were different pre-Stonewall.

Per an interview with Clemmons:

quote:

But did Mr. Rogers ever condemn you?

No. He said, “Sometimes people don’t get married and they settle down, they live a different life. You can’t go to the those [gay] clubs. . .That may not be the answer for you, Franc; you have to consider something else. What, I’m not sure. But that may not be the route for you.”

Bear in mind this was when people were still being arrested for sodomy, and an arrest like that would have killed the show. Clemmons has said that Rogers wasn’t homophobic, but didn’t want to get pulled off the air.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Per an interview with Clemmons:

Bear in mind this was when people were still being arrested for sodomy, and an arrest like that would have killed the show. Clemmons has said that Rogers wasn’t homophobic, but didn’t want to get pulled off the air.

A recent biography claims that Fred Rogers offered to set him up on dates with gay dudes he or his friends knew if Clemmons promised to look for a relationship that would end up in lifelong monogamy like a marriage would.

I mean, it was the 60s, when it was considered radical for Fred and Clemmons to put their feet together in the same inflatable pool while on television. Fred Rogers: a true radical willing to smush his feet together with a gay black cop. But I guess we can’t judge him too hard for the last thing, since Officer Clemmons was only pretending to be a cop.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
haha it is loving RICH to see people like us litigate the slightest potential character blemishes of other people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure John Munch appeared in The Wire once which was kind of off-putting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pick posted:

haha it is loving RICH to see people like us litigate the slightest potential character blemishes of other people

I think it’s remarkable that a person even older than my parents was able to not end up a loving horrible bigot when I’m positive that the only reason my parents were terrified of gay people and black people and I’m not is that I had gay and black friends as a kid and they didn’t. Mister Rogers was better than me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

A recent biography claims that Fred Rogers offered to set him up on dates with gay dudes he or his friends knew if Clemmons promised to look for a relationship that would end up in lifelong monogamy like a marriage would.

I mean, it was the 60s, when it was considered radical for Fred and Clemmons to put their feet together in the same inflatable pool while on television. Fred Rogers: a true radical willing to smush his feet together with a gay black cop. But I guess we can’t judge him too hard for the last thing, since Officer Clemmons was only pretending to be a cop.

Yeah, Rogers was pretty radical for the time and to his credit he wasn’t even one of those people who are radical for their time but then stay where they are as the world moves around them, from what I understand he was still growing through the end of his life. I hear what Pick is saying, but I find it really encouraging that I can try and nitpick Rogers’s flaws and find that he still holds up almost perfectly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I think it’s remarkable that a person even older than my parents was able to not end up a loving horrible bigot when I’m positive that the only reason my parents were terrified of gay people and black people and I’m not is that I had gay and black friends as a kid and they didn’t. Mister Rogers was better than me.

Dude was so nice that car thieves stole his car and returned it when they found out it was his. In Philly. The city known for sports fans that whip batteries at Santa during Hockey season and had a dude arrested for intentionally vomiting on a child.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dude was so nice that car thieves stole his car and returned it when they found out it was his. In Philly. The city known for sports fans that whip batteries at Santa during Hockey season and had a dude arrested for intentionally vomiting on a child.
Pittsburgh, and the story is pretty apocryphal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

Pittsburgh, and the story is pretty apocryphal.

Awwww, disappointing. Though giving Philly some poo poo made being wrong worth it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kitty Pryde loves finding excuses to say the n-word. It lands exactly as flat every loving time:

She seems like the kind of person who would go out of her way to use niggardly in front of Storm and then give a lecture on its etymology with faux surprise that she didn't already know.

Also Magneto turns good because at one point he's about to kill her and sees her Star of David necklace and suddenly realizes that if he kills everyone on Earth, Jews will die too, which is pretty lol.

I'd like to point out that I'm in no way excusing that stupidity, but I have to wonder how many people did try to excuse it with, "Excuse me, but you do know that she's Jewish."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'd like to point out that I'm in no way excusing that stupidity, but I have to wonder how many people did try to excuse it with, "Excuse me, but you do know that she's Jewish."

Oh, so on top of all that she's a shonda?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
shes not a real person. she's imaginary actually

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Welcome to the desert of the real.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm pretty sure John Munch appeared in The Wire once which was kind of off-putting.

Munch cameos on the wire despite being based off of Jay Landsman who was already a character on the show and also the actual real life Jay Landsman shows up playing a different character.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

Munch cameos on the wire despite being based off of Jay Landsman who was already a character on the show and also the actual real life Jay Landsman shows up playing a different character.

That's a bit too Munch!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

shes not a real person. she's imaginary actually

Yes, but a real person wrote her so someone's still a sinner.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a bit too Munch!

That's too Munch, man!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Zaroff posted:

Did they explain what his deal was? I remember there was a point made about how he seemed to have a lot more money than a cop should, driving flashy cars and so on, but don't remember any explanation as to why (IIRC there were rumours of him being paid off by the mob?)

He was in the not-Chef Boyardee family and embarrassed about where the money came from.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sir Lemming posted:

Kitty Pryde, more like Kitty Prejudice should be the new thread title and it’s not even close.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Considering this is X-Men we're just lucky her superpower isn't something like, she's able to light menorahs with her mind or some poo poo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

That show has (had?) serious problems with Flanderisation. Barely got through a single season before characters became tedious "Greatest Hits" caricatures of themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

The main thing I remember is a scene where one of the nerds was either hacking a computer or trying to stop their computer being hacked by pounding away at a keyboard, but they weren't doing it fast enough, so another nerd started typing on the same keyboard at the same time
Oh, you mean the best scene there has ever been or will ever be on any TV show ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Oh, you mean the best scene there has ever been or will ever be on any TV show ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

I personally think it's rivaled by the scene in CSI where they're interrogating a suspect in an MMO, and the character's avatar makes a break for it, so they have a chase scene. In the MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rydiafan posted:

I personally think it's rivaled by the scene in CSI where they're interrogating a suspect in an MMO, and the character's avatar makes a break for it, so they have a chase scene. In the MMO.
I haven't seen that one but it sounds amazing. :allears:

Also, I realised that I forgot about this absolutely incredible explanation of IRC from Numb3rs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ