Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wheeee posted:

It's not just America, the situation is much the same in Canada where distances are vast by the standards of more densely populated regions and public infrastructure is mediocre at best.

Even if you live in one of the better cities a vehicle is basically necessary for most people.

I live in the city with arguably the most expansive transit system in Canada (Toronto) and if you don’t work in the downtown core pretty much you need a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
A lot of people point to Japan as an ideal for a car-less society but having visited there that is absolutely not true. They do love their cars.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

blk posted:

Was there ever a liftback/sportback four-seater in the US with a manual transmission? All I can think of is the OG Mazda 6 and maybe the Audi TT, but I’m wondering if something like the A5 or one of the silly four door coupes was ever offered like this.

Do you mean 4 door? Mazda 626 was another, certain 80s FWD Corollas.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There has been tons of 2 door lift backs.

VVVSorry for serial postingVVV

Frond fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 7, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Breaking the Frond chain just because

beep beep i'm a car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Frond posted:

A lot of people point to Japan as an ideal for a car-less society but having visited there that is absolutely not true. They do love their cars.

they love cars but it's not absolutely necessary. pretty same with germany at least in any midsize city.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BMW is ending its European Delivery program. Audi ended theirs in 2018.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/bmw-ending-european-delivery-na-customers

quote:

After carefully evaluating the changing BMW U.S. customer preferences towards U.S.-built X vehicles and the declining interest in the European Delivery Program, BMW has made the decision to bring the European Delivery Program to a close in the Fall of 2020.While fewer customers have been taking advantage of driving their new BMW’s in Europe prior to having their cars shipped to the U.S., we have seen a marked increase in interest in the BMW Ultimate Delivery Experience at our Greenville-Spartanburg facility which is available for any production BMW vehicle, not just for those built in South Carolina.

Basically everyone is buying their SUVs and CUVs which are made in South Carolina. I wonder if we'll see Europeans coming over to do a North American Delivery when they buy their new SUV.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Frond posted:

You can love and enjoy cars without necessitating the use of one for most daily tasks. I'd argue it makes it even more enjoyable if you don't have to use your car to commute or run to the store. The necessity of a car is what makes people buy boring dull CUV appliances, because there's no fun or enjoyment in the day-to-day driving grind for most people. Few people want an "exciting" appliance.

Cars (and car infrastructure like massive roads and parking lots) take up a hugely disproportionate amount of space in even small cities, and it's not an environment that is enjoyable to drive in most of the time. But put me on a country road with no destination or timeline and I'm going to have a great drive.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 7, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've been work from home since March and after weeks spent in quarantine without driving, and with my horrible daily commute now a fading memory, just going out to the store woke something up in me and for the first time in ages I actually really enjoyed driving again and hosed off to tool around for a while.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah my wife and i have been driving around for the fun of it and having a picnic in remote parks that dont have that many people in it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Frond posted:

I lived there for 3 years, and altho driving is better for the most part, you could absolutely live almost anywhere in Japan without a car and be fine.

But like Kyoon said the car culture there is pretty strong, lots of Japanese drive just as a hobby and commute by train to work.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mercedes automatics are indeed a thing of beauty. Fun fact about a good chunk of BMW automatics: They're GM transmissions.
Mercedes perfected the auto box. If you have Benz with manual you're either dumb or you have 190 2.5 Cosworth.

GM transmissions haven't been a thing for a while, ZF 6, 7 and 8 speeds have been the standard since 2000ish.

Edit: I adore the 8 speed. It's the perfect transmission, DPK-like shifts and it's almost always clutch to clutch change, good ratio and on BMWs it has perfect programming. It's almost like if Mercedes Benz made it.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 7, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kivi posted:

GM transmissions haven't been a thing for a while, ZF 6, 7 and 8 speeds have been the standard since 2000ish.

6L45

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kivi posted:

Mercedes perfected the auto box. If you have Benz with manual you're either dumb or you have 190 2.5 Cosworth.

Edit: I adore the 8 speed. It's the perfect transmission, DPK-like shifts and it's almost always clutch to clutch change, good ratio and on BMWs it has perfect programming. It's almost like if Mercedes Benz made it.

The FWD models had some fairly crummy CVTs then DCTs up until quite recently.

I haven't found either the 5 or 7 speed in the W204 particularly impressive either, at least not when paired with the smaller engines which is all I've driven.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

taqueso posted:

We should develop testing that better mimics actual driving, something like playback of prerecorded torque requests and loads.

There’s actually a real-world driving component as part of Euro 6 now, I wrote about it a few years ago: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/07/a-diesel-emissions-test-you-cant-game-we-try-it-out/

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 8, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Throatwarbler posted:

It would actually be more like "The rules say no steroids and no one took steroids except VW, an insanely dumb company, started and ended the race on a bicycle but was actually riding a gixxer for most of the race and no one noticed for a while because no one could possibly be that dumb." It's not even just money, people are in actual PMITA federal prison over this.

The thing is, it *wasn’t* just VW. FCA got caught using cheaty Bosch software here in the US (and for a comparative slap on the wrist because it’s American, sort-of), and in the EU just about everyone was cooking their tests.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yet they are clearly affecting policy since several places have rescinded mask requirements to avoid violence.

He means the ruling party that wants to reopen the country yesterday because gently caress old people and poor people.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dissss posted:

The FWD models had some fairly crummy CVTs then DCTs up until quite recently.
True, can confirm after 2.5 years of awful GLA ownership that that DCT is the boil on the rear end of Mercedes' record with transmissions. I blame my spouse

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

BMW is ending its European Delivery program. Audi ended theirs in 2018.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/bmw-ending-european-delivery-na-customers

Basically everyone is buying their SUVs and CUVs which are made in South Carolina. I wonder if we'll see Europeans coming over to do a North American Delivery when they buy their new SUV.

Porsche still does euro delivery, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ultimate Mango posted:

Porsche still does euro delivery, right?

Yes, for now.

:ohdear:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, for now.

:ohdear:
Porsche, Mercedes, and Volvo still do Euro delivery.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

got off on a technicality posted:

True, can confirm after 2.5 years of awful GLA ownership that that DCT is the boil on the rear end of Mercedes' record with transmissions. I blame my spouse

My condolences to you and your partner for living with the GLA, the worst new car you can buy in America today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godzilla07 posted:

My condolences to you and your partner for living with the GLA, the worst new car you can buy in America today.

I was given one a couple years ago as a loaner. I knew it was hosed when the first words out of the service advisor's mouth was "Let me start on about how this transmission..."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kivi posted:

I’ll second the ‘Zed-F’ 8 speed. It’s buttery smooth, fast and responsive. I never had a problem with the DCT in the GTI but the ZF-8 is so much better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche, Mercedes, and Volvo still do Euro delivery.

I don't believe Volvo does anymore.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Volvo may not be at the moment, but they absolutely were 6 months ago when I was looking at buying a v60cc. Obviously you'd have to order something they're making in Sweden as opposed to China or South Carolina.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

blk posted:

Was there ever a liftback/sportback four-seater in the US with a manual transmission? All I can think of is the OG Mazda 6 and maybe the Audi TT, but I’m wondering if something like the A5 or one of the silly four door coupes was ever offered like this.

How about a forward-thinking crossover with a straight six and AWD?

AMC Eagle SX/4

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

AMC Eagle SX/4

One of my favorites ever. So drat cool.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tetrapyloctomy posted:

AMC Eagle SX/4

Nah fcuk that. Ford Territory with a Barra

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Godzilla07 posted:

Get a load of this guy not knowing about the Mitsubishi Mirage

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I honestly thought Mitsubishi had stopped selling cars in the US.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

Well, calling what they sell "cars" is a bit generous.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godholio posted:

So has the HQ. I'm sure at the board meeting someone once every few years ask "What the hell is this line item?"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

RIP Gen2 Eclipse and 3000GT.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Oh, TIL.

I actually forgot Mercedes makes FWD models too. My neighbour even has his A-class parked across mine now that I think of it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Godholio posted:

It's a shock that in Australia Mitsubishi sells more cars than Ford

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

You Am I posted:

It's a shock that in Australia Mitsubishi sells more cars than Ford

What do they even make??

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

JK Fresco posted:

What do they even make??

Almost exclusively CUVs, the Mirage being one exception I can think of. At least here in the US.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The L200 and Pajero are legitimately well made and reliable products. They are extremely agricultural though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There's the Eclipse Cross, which was so horribly mediocre and old-feeling that I told Mitsubishi I wasn't going to write the review after driving one for a week because it would feel too much like punching down.