Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do have a conspiracy theory that I believe in, like, 75% unironically, that as soon as stores introduced self-checkout aisles they also started intentionally teaching baggers to bag groceries poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that if we abolished the lowest ranking, most pointless jobs, it would cause unemployment because companies wouldn't hire those people anymore. Capitalism is adverse to leaving too much excess labor unutilized, they would find other outlets. Those new jobs wouldn't be great either, but still probably better.

Then again, I come from a country where the idea of having supermarket greeters is literally incomprehensible.

lol if we actually wanted to get rid of pointless jobs we should start with management, not bagboys and gas jockeys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol if we actually wanted to get rid of pointless jobs we'd start with management.

The many levels of management is one of the ways how society deals with the results of eliminating these pointless menial jobs. If we live in a system where everybody needs to have a job for some dumb reason, it's preferable to give them some stupid job where they pretend to watch numbers and read emails.

In practice we would just let people do whatever, but the fact that this isn't currently feasible for political reasons doesn't mean we have to put up with jobs that only exist because people are cruel and selfish.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 01:12 on May 10, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Jacksonlzz/status/1259146514720587777

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1259254221045747712

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol if we actually wanted to get rid of pointless jobs we should start with management, not bagboys and gas jockeys.

By having more cart-wranglers and bag-packers, managers justify their existence. The fewer people there are to manage, the fewer managers are needed. When only one person works at a garage, they can self-manage, if there are also a couple of gas jockeys, a toilet attendant, a slushy machine operator, a barista, etc, that's how you get two more managers in there.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sheng ji do you leave your shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well yeah, anyone who's paid attention to a classroom or something knows that both good or bad behavior spreads by proximity.

The difference would be though that the police theoretically get to choose who is in their organization.

Edit: but sometimes bad behavior spreads from the teacher downward and then all the students are hosed.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 01:28 on May 10, 2020

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me

The US is the only country that employs slaves to return shopping carts because people are too lovely to do it themselves. In all functional societies, the job of a "shopping cart return person" is non-existent. Same for bagging boys etc. At most they have somebody move the carts few times a day if they pile up at one spot, which takes like five minutes, instead of employing full time cart shuffling staff.

Have you been outside the US? Here in NZ and also in Australia they absolutely employ people to bring in trolleys often a few fill time positions depending on the size of the store. If not they will randomly send a checkout person to do it. Also people leaving trolleys just anywhere in the car park won’t inspire management to employ more of them. Instead they will just yell at them to bring them in faster and blame them for any cars which get dinged by a wild trolley. This whole argument goes back to the broken window fallacy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Varkk posted:

Have you been outside the US? Here in NZ and also in Australia they absolutely employ people to bring in trolleys often a few fill time positions depending on the size of the store. If not they will randomly send a checkout person to do it. Also people leaving trolleys just anywhere in the car park won’t inspire management to employ more of them. Instead they will just yell at them to bring them in faster and blame them for any cars which get dinged by a wild trolley. This whole argument goes back to the broken window fallacy.

OK, so it's not just US thing, it's an Anglo thing. As somebody not from the US, I assure you that nowhere in continental Europe will you find anything comparable.

Once again, being an Anglo amounts to a crime against humanity that should be erased by nuclear fire.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, how many countries even hyave these huge mega-markets instead of a bunch of smaller ones?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hypermarkets

many

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hypermarkets in many countries have nothing to do with the monstrosities you have. They are just supermarkets with some additional aisles that sell household items other than groceries.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

steinrokkan posted:

Hypermarkets in many countries have nothing to do with the monstrosities you have. They are just supermarkets with some additional aisles that sell household items other than groceries.

Alot of them are, Carrefour is just as bad as Walmart or Target in alot of their stores.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i put my cart away because i used to put carts away for a living and it sucked getting all the stragglers left all over the lot

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Alot of them are, Carrefour is just as bad as Walmart or Target in alot of their stores.

Perhaps. But you can't take a list of "hypermarkets" and claim they are all just Walmarts.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this is my favorite derail in weeks

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

also on weekends especially you'd definitely have one or two people on carts all day. this was at a regular supermarket (jewel). it was union at least, i got like $1 above minimum wage as a 16 year old with "i mow my neighbors lawn" as my resume, and you could actually legitimately move up and have a career

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

THS posted:

this is my favorite derail in weeks

If you put the thread back on track yourself, you're taking away employment opportunity from the mods.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Goon Boots posted:

If you put the thread back on track yourself, you're taking away employment opportunity from the mods.

:wow:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

literally the same argument as people who don't bus their table at Taco Bell because they're "stimulating the economy"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I know in Canada we're just as hosed as the US.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

I do have a conspiracy theory that I believe in, like, 75% unironically, that as soon as stores introduced self-checkout aisles they also started intentionally teaching baggers to bag groceries poorly.

its because they hate their jobs op

actually bagging was less poo poo when it was busy because sometimes you could feel like you were playing a real life tetris game for a few minutes, but it still sucked

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1259204353090555905

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DSAArchaeology/status/1258935168657743874?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly it's great without the eh attempt to make it a biden meme
Blessed video

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I tried cross stitch today. Did two sides of a square to put things in and had an idea

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

anecdotal but being a bag boy and cart bitch helped my family keep food on the table through high school

i do not have strong feelings about the Shopping Cart Issue

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Leaving my cart in the grass on the opposite side of the parking lot? Praaaxis~~

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gripweed posted:

Shopping carts were originally invented because a grocery store owner noticed that the time people spent in his store had a hard limit of when their arms got tired from holding their shopping basket. To fix that he could've hired more workers to carry people's shopping for them. Instead he put the labor onto his customers.

If you don't understand why that's completely impractical you've never been a grocer that caters to rural folk

Fuckers load their shopping carts pass the brim, you'd need half a dozen people to carry all their poo poo

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

"coworkers sometimes get hung up on things"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Idc if you think you're making a political point by leaving your cart in the middle of the parking lot you're forcing me to leave my aisle to go collect it, and in that moment you're Hitler incarnate to me.

Also cashiers at grocers will still push your cart out to your car for you, you just have to ask :)

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

reading the glassdoor reviews for Venom Snakes diamond dogs outfit and being unimpressed by the promotion potential in your first 5

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

The sad thing is, I've actually heard that argument about cooking for yourself used unironically on more than one occasion.

“The only moral lifestyle is my lifestyle”, I continue to insist, as my lungs turn into overripe watermelon.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

idk my buddy in high school said the nicest thing you could do for grocery store workers was leave your carts all over the place because collecting them was the only task you could get that was chill

also shut the gently caress up about shopping carts

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/653473781393653800/708888236130566164/WutangVirus.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you expropriate shopping carts off the property completely you could give them to homeless people, wheel an entire stack on down to the shelter

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hyperplanes/status/1258937325490442242

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Leaving my cart in the grass on the opposite side of the parking lot? Praaaxis~~

i get this is a joke but i never said this poo poo. Its like tipping, you can recognize a system sucks for both workers and customers and only benefits the owner without being an rear end in a top hat about it and not tipping. im not saying everyone should be a dick and leave your cart in traffic or something, just recognize this is another minor piece of normalizing replacing paid labor with guilting customers into doing it for free, like self checkout poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i get this is a joke but i never said this poo poo. Its like tipping, you can recognize a system sucks for both workers and customers and only benefits the owner without being an rear end in a top hat about it and not tipping. im not saying everyone should be a dick and leave your cart in traffic or something, just recognize this is another minor piece of normalizing replacing paid labor with guilting customers into doing it for free, like self checkout poo poo

Lmao