Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Welcome to part 2 of "strix is annoyed by a comic strip"

Funky Winkerbean - Feb 23 - March 4th, 2007. All of these ran in sequence. There's a few days of army stuff before where i start that kind of foreshadows it but it's funnier without the context. The rest is pure unfiltered cancer drama. Also you'll notice Les and some other dude doing yardwork outside (in the rain?!) and the entire week is devoted to them talking about boring, non-cancer related stuff.

WOW I hate everything about this, but the top two things I hate is the weird, censor-friendly, shoehorned "y'all doin it" and that stupid "Pain Management in Painsville" bit.

Dan Harmon had a thing on his podcast about "the monopoly man joke" - when a scene has something that the writers made up just for the sake of the punchline. (He says everything's a monopoly guy to some extent, but he gives this as an example of "unnecessary roughness") This comes from a scene in Ace Ventura 2, where a man enters a room with a top hat, monocle, and curly white mustache and Ace Ventura has an altercation with him that ends in Ace saying "Oh, and I presume you're... the Monopoly Guy?!" and it's like... yeah, guys, you wrote the script, you did the casting, you made him look like the monopoly guy, you don't really get to take credit for that joke in the scenario you created.

Anyway, Batiuk does this all the loving time, but that Painsville thing.... "too weird". Well, first off... no, it's not, not really. But second, yeah, okay, I guess that weird thing you invented would be mildly weird if it actually happened.

Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 30, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 30, 1998)

Garfield Classic (September 30, 1988)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

It's christmas 1977, and at the time it would have been rare to see a black person even in Finlands biggest cities. Until the early 90s when refugees from Somalia start to arrive most notable (while still fairly small) groups were Chilean and Vietnamese.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's genuinely cool to see a black person in the newspaper comics and they're not some horrible caricature.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's genuinely cool to see a black person in the newspaper comics and they're not some horrible caricature.

drat my timing - if only I'd been a little more assiduous about posting Keeping Up With the Joneses, I'd be ready to post the horrible caricature of a black person. Next time, I suppose.

In this installment, though, we're reminded that modern notions of food safety are, well, modern - although, in 1920, Typhoid Mary was still alive. That might be why this particular inept prospective employee is white instead of black.

Few slice-of-life strips these days would have "I accidentally killed all my previous employers" as a punchline.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Parahexavoctal posted:

drat my timing - if only I'd been a little more assiduous about posting Keeping Up With the Joneses, I'd be ready to post the horrible caricature of a black person. Next time, I suppose.

Haha - as a former poster of Everett True, I understand.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

goatface posted:

Lisa's story but done by the Lockhorns-parody in fun-pack.

Lester's Story

Anyway here's Dykes to Watch Out For #54 (1989) early so I can go make Mother's Day calls. Fortunately this one is pretty straightforward (NSFW for nudity):

I like how all the little spatial details add up to Lois' ambiguous look in the last panel-- the prickly looking (very 80s imo) foldout couch, the pizza box not even closed all the way, etc.. I think curtadams is right, this is a really stand-out and unusual storyline.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

When I do an edit, I try to only use the letters that were in the original strip (although sometimes I'll chop a piece off a letter - converting, e.g., an R to a P or an E to an F). For this one, I had to dig back through a few previous Adam strips before I could find a Z.

edit: *slaps attach file function a few times*

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

When I do an edit, I try to only use the letters that were in the original strip (although sometimes I'll chop a piece off a letter - converting, e.g., an R to a P or an E to an F). For this one, I had to dig back through a few previous Adam strips before I could find a Z.

edit: *slaps attach file function a few times*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Technowolf posted:

That's Beastars rules, not Holbrook rules

I mean, we do have that horrible monster Turvy running around that's a porcupine/bat hybrid.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side
mM1liaAl.jpg
Tough spiders

1levW16l.jpg
“Any theories on this, Cummings?”

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 25, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment, though, we're reminded that modern notions of food safety are, well, modern - although, in 1920, Typhoid Mary was still alive. That might be why this particular inept prospective employee is white instead of black.

Few slice-of-life strips these days would have "I accidentally killed all my previous employers" as a punchline.

The full story is fascinating. Radiolab did a great podcast on her.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 10, 2020

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sept 27 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 16-17, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 3-4, 2015)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set has a green thumb.

Working Daze honestly thinks "has a drink bottle" is a character trait.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just trying to help.

Cul De Sac spreads the word.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Welcome to part 2 of "strix is annoyed by a comic strip"

Long before I gave in and bought an account here, I used to lurk old iterations of the comics thread. At the time, I remember there was an hilarious edit of the Funky IED strip that combined it with the final episode of MASH ("Keep that chicken quiet!").

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is Jeremy the only good teenager in comics?

I guess Gene and Heloise too, in their way, but they're not permanent teenagers

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

A little context, since as published this amazing fact just sounds like, "A guy had a toothache and a dentist extracted the tooth! Believe it or not!"

For most people, their longest tooth will be a canine and the average length for a human canine tooth (crown and root) is in the neigborhood of an inch. Pawan Bhavsar holds the world record for longest (human) tooth. The extra half-inch he's got on the rest of us still doesn't sound like much until you grab a mirror, hold a ruler up to your face, and... "oh golly."

Anyway, it's a long-rear end tooth and it even has a little bendy at the end that I'm sure made it a real joy to extract. I really appreciated the casual racism of one of the articles I came across when looking this poo poo up that referred to this 20-year-old engineering student as "a boy from India." (Just kidding, I did not appreciate that.)

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just trying to help.

About Super-Fun-Pak Comix

https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/1258786100941905921

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

zelda is cloyingly awful about this no children poo poo and i for one can't wait to read her posts on r/childfree

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

riderchop posted:

zelda is cloyingly awful about this no children poo poo and i for one can't wait to read her posts on r/childfree

I believe the author has at least one kid to date and isn't writing Zelda much lately because she is writing childrens books.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I believe the author has at least one kid to date and isn't writing Zelda much lately because she is writing childrens books.

i was talking about zelda the character but good for the author! hope her work has gotten better since 2006, which i assume is when these extremely basic feminism jokes were written

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kavak posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at.
Waddefuck is right field.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Maybe I should try this

"Are you still mine, Dawn?"
"Sure, until somebody better comes along."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Christ. This packed about as much punch as a semi-deflated birthday balloon drifting on a vent breeze across the room to touch you.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

goatface posted:

Lisa's story but done by the Lockhorns-parody in fun-pack.

The actual Lockhorns would be too supportive and relatable.

Oh my God, please give me the Lockhorns cancer scare arc.

"It's only Stage II? Even your tumor's an underachiver."

"I feel like I'm on fire constantly, I vomit 3 or 4 times a day, I've lost control of my bowels, and I can't taste Loreta's cooking anymore. So chemo's not all bad.""

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Honest question: why? Why would Doom want to mess with Spider-Man to such an extent?

For the vast majority of the Spider-Man newspaper strip's run, the world operates as if Spider-Man is the only active superhero, so Doom's emnity is primarily pointed as the Webslinger and not some obscure blue-jumpsuited scientist and his family.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is sorry you were offended.

Working Daze does a cat joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix didn't get the promotion.

Cul De Sac is trying a little too hard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I meant what is happening to everything to the right of him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is trying a little too hard.

I always loved Cul de Sac but as my daughter is approaching 4, I am appreciating it on a level I never had before.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

goons.txt

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/9/00

Brenda Starr 9/1/40

Villain tip: If you're planning to get rid of your moll and replace her with some random babe you kidnapped at a party, maybe don't mention it in front of her first.

Smokey Stover 4/7/35

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Anyway here's Dykes to Watch Out For #54 (1989) early so I can go make Mother's Day calls. Fortunately this one is pretty straightforward (NSFW for nudity):

I like how all the little spatial details add up to Lois' ambiguous look in the last panel-- the prickly looking (very 80s imo) foldout couch, the pizza box not even closed all the way, etc.. I think curtadams is right, this is a really stand-out and unusual storyline.
Another thing I notice about Bechdel's art, after the first year or so, is that even when the strip is basically just a talking head strip (sort of the case here) she draws almost every scene from a different angle, with the characters in different poses. It used to be the norm that even comedic strips did this, but now we find lots of cut'n'paste to mock. She uses it to express subtler emotions in her characters too - like Lois looking conflicted when she says "it was nice for me too" - drawn to show the expression is made out of Emma's view.

Are you still interesting in posting the "missing strips"? There are a lot of dropped strips between here and the next event in the Emma and Lois plotline where Lois is waiting to hear back from Emma, kind of as an ongoing sub-B plotline. Experientially, it was an unusual effect - there was one strip with Lois racing to pick up the phone, and I was really hoping to find out what *was* going on with Emma. Meanwhile the strip just kept going with two multistrip arcs which were interesting in their own right. It's not an effect you often see in comics (can't think of any off the top of my head). It had kind of a "Who Shot J.R.?" effect on me. I was hunting the strip down every other week (at the time it was in local LGBT periodicals, and I'd have to go someplace that had them) because I wanted to know what was going to happen with Emma.

sweeperbravo posted:

Christ. [Jared and Dawn reuniting in Mary Worth] packed about as much punch as a semi-deflated birthday balloon drifting on a vent breeze across the room to touch you.
Such fake drama. Everybody has cell phones; why didn't Dawn call Jared to tell him that she had broken up with Hugo and that Hugo (in a similar situation) was A-OK with it? If the writing were better, perhaps it would be an indication Dawn is rather a $%# but I don't think that message is actually here.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, thanks to Ghostlight, I've found something interesting to post. Apparently, from September 4th, 1978 to April 12th, 1981, there was a Conan the Barbarian comic, originally by Roy Thomas and John Buscema. It was based on the comic by Marvel, which was based on the original R.E. Howard stories from 1932-1936. Now, I'm a big fan of Conan, and Howard in general but, probably oddly for most people, I've never read the non-Howard pastiches, nor the Marvel comics (I have read a couple issues of the Dark Horse run, but like... three, and I have seen and enjoyed all three movies, and the dumb live action show nobody remembers). I have, next to me, the three Del Rey collections (as well as their Kull, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane collections), so I'll probably be making comparisons between what I'm seeing and the original stories here and there. So, without further ado, the first week (Sept. 4th, 1978 to Sept. 10th, 1978):

Now, a few things jump to mind immediately. First off, this introduction is extremely not Howardian; there is no story in the original works that takes place in Cimmeria and no other Cimmerians ever show up. Off the top of my head, I don't recall him ever mentioning his parents, the earliest we ever hear of his life is in Beyond the Black River, where he talks of being at the battle of Venarium when he "hadn't yet seen fifteen snows". These are all pastiche originals. Cimmeria is described in The Phoenix on the Sword, the first Conan story, by Conan himself (Howard also wrote a poem titled Cimmeria that describes it in much the same way):

RE Howard, The Phoenix on the Sword posted:

"A gloomier land never was - all of hills, darkly wooded, under skies nearly always grey, with winds moaning drearily down the valleys."

I'll also note is that their version of The Nemedian Chronicles is quite different and quite truncated compared to the original that appeared in the published version of The Phoenix on the Sword. It makes sense, it is a bit long and would be a nightmare to fit into a comic in full, but it is an immediate difference that I note. So, here's the original:

The Nemedian Chronicles, RE Howard, The Phoenix on the Sword posted:

"Know, o prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

The Phoenix on the Sword was originally a rejected Kull story entitled By This Axe I Rule!, and when rewritten into The Phoenix on the Sword required some explanation for the new (or, as it was, later) setting. Originally it was explained by a long discussion between Conan, in this story later in life when was King of Aquilonia, and Prospero, one of his friends. When this draft was rejected by Weird Tales, editor Farnsworth Wright told Howard to condense the first two chapters, and The Nemedian Chronicles was the solution to having to cut a lot of setting information. Here's the extremely short version from the 1982 movie, as done by Mako.

Hopefully I'll remember to keep posting it, though maybe not a full week at a time.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 11, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

curtadams posted:

Are you still interesting in posting the "missing strips"? There are a lot of dropped strips between here and the next event in the Emma and Lois plotline where Lois is waiting to hear back from Emma, kind of as an ongoing sub-B plotline. Experientially, it was an unusual effect - there was one strip with Lois racing to pick up the phone, and I was really hoping to find out what *was* going on with Emma. Meanwhile the strip just kept going with two multistrip arcs which were interesting in their own right. It's not an effect you often see in comics (can't think of any off the top of my head). It had kind of a "Who Shot J.R.?" effect on me. I was hunting the strip down every other week (at the time it was in local LGBT periodicals, and I'd have to go someplace that had them) because I wanted to know what was going to happen with Emma.

I am, I've just had bad allergies this week and haven't had the energy to drag my rear end to our scanner. My very last semester obligations are behind me now though so I'll try to get through a good chunk of them tomorrow.

Your comment also reminds me of a project I'd love to do some day which is to just dig into all of the comics that ran in queer periodicals through the 80s and 90s, just because it's something I know so little about what was out there aside from DtWOF and stuff like The Chosen Family, Doc and Raider, I don't know... the Ethan Green thing? Harry Chess? It just seems like there's so much to be done-- it's like pulling teeth just finding out solid syndication information about DtWOF.

What I should really do is just sit down with something I know has been digitized like off our backs and just pull out whatever's interesting.

Edit: this is already paying off

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 11, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

fondue posted:

B Kliban

If memory serves, this guy was set with two others for another cartoon compilation: "Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

I am, I've just had bad allergies this week and haven't had the energy to drag my rear end to our scanner. My very last semester obligations are behind me now though so I'll try to get through a good chunk of them tomorrow.

Your comment also reminds me of a project I'd love to do some day which is to just dig into all of the comics that ran in queer periodicals through the 80s and 90s, just because it's something I know so little about what was out there aside from DtWOF and stuff like The Chosen Family, Doc and Raider, I don't know... the Ethan Green thing? Harry Chess? It just seems like there's so much to be done-- it's like pulling teeth just finding out solid syndication information about DtWOF.

What I should really do is just sit down with something I know has been digitized like off our backs and just pull out whatever's interesting.

Edit: this is already paying off

That would be halfway to a master's thesis in Gender Studies, I'd love to see it!