Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Time to educate you fools

there are two types of Chicago deep pizza

the first one is called a "stuffed" pizza, and consists of a thin buttery crust, a middle full of cheese and toppings (preferably big chunks of fennel sausage), another thin crust to hold it together, and seasoned chopped tomatos on top. This is the one you get at Giordanos, Lou Malnati's, and a lot of little mom and pop places around Chicago. It is an extremely delicious food, and i don't care if you call it a pizza or a casserole or whatever.

The second one is a "deep dish" and consists of a thick cardboard bowl filled with garbage. This is the one you get at Pizzaria Uno, and it is utterly disgusting.

Also, Detroit pizza is great. Fluffy crust, baked in a pan, with extra cheese piled against the edge of the pan so that it can crisp and carmelize. Teriffic stuff.

Also, as a Californian I should add that California pizza is also good. Pizza with stuff like goat cheese, olive oil, pine nuts, etc can be fantastic.

Finally, the best New York pizza isn't even in New York. It's down the Jersey Shore.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

I mean just setting aside the fact that Davis is clearly better he's also played four times as many playoff minutes

Davis also was part of a more competent franchise.

Ugh that hurts typing

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

predicto posted:

Also, Detroit pizza is great. Fluffy crust, baked in a pan, with extra cheese piled against the edge of the pan so that it can crisp and carmelize. Teriffic stuff.

for a minute i was getting these take n bake detroit pizzas that were a little spendy but super fuckin good. then they disappeared forever :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Detroit pizzas are fantastic and I'm made the pizza place by the kings arena only makes it in one size that serves 4 people

I mean it makes sense given how you make it but still :(

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/1260004798121771011?s=20

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
On this day, one year ago:

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I've been to New York, Chicago and Boise Idaho and Pizza tastes the same everywhere it's just greasy dough with random crap thrown on top of it. Someone has to say it. Wake up people we are being lied to.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I mean, Shaq is right. Some kid is going to be scrolling through Futurepedia and be confused to see the 2019-20 NBA champions having won the trophy in 2022.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oceanlife posted:

Because Kareem is a whiny little punk plus 36 year old Wilt outplayed him so there's no universe where you take a soft no defense (see airplane) center over the most athletic big man of all time.

This isn't how I remembered it from when I went back when i was younger to watch games, so I went to basketball reference to check it out and well, it's not looking great for Wilt. http://bkref.com/tiny/KS9UX

Basically indeed, they are pretty even during Kareem's rookie and sophmore years, but it's basically downhill for Wilt from there and he's getting dominated by Kareem fairly quickly, and their second playoff matchup is particularly bad (although, the Lakers won that series).

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Rick posted:

This isn't how I remembered it from when I went back when i was younger to watch games, so I went to basketball reference to check it out and well, it's not looking great for Wilt. http://bkref.com/tiny/KS9UX

Basically indeed, they are pretty even during Kareem's rookie and sophmore years, but it's basically downhill for Wilt from there and he's getting dominated by Kareem fairly quickly, and their second playoff matchup is particularly bad (although, the Lakers won that series).

They only have 11 matchups and it's all past Wilts prime, but it looks really good for the big dipper: Kareem is shooting 38% on 29 shots in their last two matchups against a nearly 37 year old wilt.

That was Kareem at the absolute peak of his ability going against old man Wilt who was thinking more about volleyball and how to help Nixon win reelection than basketball. In his athletic prime Wilt was a level beyond anything Kareem could have hoped to be.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

checks out

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

wilt chamberlain was less athletic than jokic is right now after many months of quarantine eating

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

'
i saw this picture of yao ming again and it reminded me that yao ming was fuckin cool

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

They only have 11 matchups and it's all past Wilts prime, but it looks really good for the big dipper: Kareem is shooting 38% on 29 shots in their last two matchups against a nearly 37 year old wilt.

That was Kareem at the absolute peak of his ability going against old man Wilt who was thinking more about volleyball and how to help Nixon win reelection than basketball. In his athletic prime Wilt was a level beyond anything Kareem could have hoped to be.

They played 38 times and Kareem averaged 30 on him lmao

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Metapod posted:

They played 38 times and Kareem averaged 30 on him lmao

Its late and I meant to say playoffs, but yes you are right Kareem averaged about one point per shot against Wilt in the regular season. Kareem shot 46% as a center and Wilt shot 56% in their matchups. For whatever reason Kareem kept shooting against Wilt even though he wasn't efficient because Kareem needed those counting stats. If Kareem shot every shot for his team in those matchups they would score between 75 and 85 points a game, that's how badly he fared against Wilt 1 on 1. This was against Wilt in his mid 30's.

I don't like Kareem very much.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He kept shooting because he was the number one option lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oceanlife posted:

You are looking at the playoffs, although the game before that last one Wilt had one of his worst games ever.

They met several times after that in the regular season and Kareem really started to have his way with him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Also how does anyone not like Kareem? He keeps mostly to himself and when he does speak up its like for civil rights

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He had a poo poo cameo on Full House and didn't tell Uncle Jesse to gently caress off

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oceanlife posted:

Its late and I meant to say playoffs, but yes you are right Kareem averaged about one point per shot against Wilt in the regular season. Kareem shot 46% as a center and Wilt shot 56% in their matchups. For whatever reason Kareem kept shooting against Wilt even though he wasn't efficient because Kareem needed those counting stats. If Kareem shot every shot for his team in those matchups they would score between 75 and 85 points a game, that's how badly he fared against Wilt 1 on 1. This was against Wilt in his mid 30's.

I don't like Kareem very much.

Wilt was still hyper athletic late in his career with 11 seasons under his belt by the time Kareem even got to play him. Lebrons in his 17th season so that's like expecting Wiggins or Parker to match up against him 6 years ago and then go shot for shot the next three years after. Also who the gently caress cares about shooting percentages when Kareem was still outscoring Wilt and winning those games. He put up 50 against Wilt one time. He put up 39 and 20 against Wilt one time. He actually shot FTs, played fantastic defense, and won four more chips. I don't think there's even an argument in Wilt vs Kareem.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive the ignorance of my question, as I don't follow NBA at all.

But does the NBA have a father/son rule similar to the one I am familiar with in Aussie Rules? As in if a player plays X amount of games for a single club, then that club has first dibs on that players son when they become eligible for the draft. Have their been any famous examples of this?

I ask because apparently Manute Bol's son is very good, as is LeBron James's kid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BrigadierSensible posted:

But does the NBA have a father/son rule similar to the one I am familiar with in Aussie Rules? As in if a player plays X amount of games for a single club, then that club has first dibs on that players son when they become eligible for the draft. Have their been any famous examples of this?

I ask because apparently Manute Bol's son is very good, as is LeBron James's kid.

nah, Bol Bol got drafted by the Nuggets, who Manute never played for, plus Manute only played 3 seasons plus a couple games for the Bullets and 2 seasons and a few games for the Warriors, that doesn't seem like it would be enough to trigger that rule.

Now, on the other hand I hear Dell Curry's kid might have a bit of talent, I wonder if Charlotte would want to pick him up.

edit: also I found this on Twitter, you're welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhI-oy7-dz0

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't think Fred Van Vleet has ever been on the same team as his son

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Love these 2 legends!!!

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
as a wilt and kareem stan, i have to weigh in on this debate. wilt was a much better athlete (although prime kareem was insanely athletic; people forget that, because they remember 80 year old late showtime kareem trundling down the court while the other 4 actually ran the break.)

wilt was probably a better player overall, but he was limited by his fear of killing the unathletic janitors he played most of his career if he was going full strength. kareem had a better career, and was significantly cooler as a person. kareem was pretty much the anti-jordan; completely unendorsable due to his religion and aspergers, but if you read his writing or watch him speak he comes across as a fundamentally decent human being with very strong moral principles. him boycotting the olympics alone puts him levels above jordan.

if wilt played in the 90s and got to play full-strength like shaq did he would have been the most dominant player of all time though, he was so loving big/fast/skilled. this also would have applied if he had been brave enough to shoot free throws underhanded.

i really would love a wilt documentary, the paul bunyan stories about him are probably some of the most entertaining basketball poo poo around.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

:lol: at this feudal throwback

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bornbytheriver posted:

:lol: at this feudal throwback

Yep it's dumb and bad and we should scrap it.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

MourningView posted:

Most people, probably? If you mostly talk about sports somewhere like here it's easy to forget how much most fans care about rings and head to head wins. And it was definitely the opinion of the majority people at the time.

In that recent article Zogo posted you can witness even a professional NBA writer framing those Warriors v Cavs series as KD v Lebron theater:

quote:

I would put a slight caveat on that, saying Kevin Durant was the best player in the NBA for a few seasons before he tore his Achilles and missed this past season (don’t expect him back until next season). Whether he will be the best when he returns remains to be seen. However, for the two seasons before that, Durant was the best player on the Warriors and for two straight Junes outplayed LeBron James in the Finals. In critical moments he would guard LeBron and did it well. Durant was the best player on the game’s biggest stages and had earned the title best in the NBA (and world).

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

the second that bol bol has to defend more than 2 feet from the basket it's gonna look like the scene of Bambi learning how to walk

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Metapod posted:

Also how does anyone not like Kareem? He keeps mostly to himself and when he does speak up its like for civil rights

He's insanely pretentious+sour.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Doltos posted:

Wilt was still hyper athletic late in his career with 11 seasons under his belt by the time Kareem even got to play him. Lebrons in his 17th season so that's like expecting Wiggins or Parker to match up against him 6 years ago and then go shot for shot the next three years after. Also who the gently caress cares about shooting percentages when Kareem was still outscoring Wilt and winning those games. He put up 50 against Wilt one time. He put up 39 and 20 against Wilt one time. He actually shot FTs, played fantastic defense, and won four more chips. I don't think there's even an argument in Wilt vs Kareem.

I will fight you all forever on this. The fact that we can actually have an argument about old man Wilt being better than Kareem in his prime shows how much better Wilt was in his prime.

The game you refer to where Kareem scored 50, he had to take 39 shots to get there and was out rebounded 24-8 and Wilt won that game. That's in his prime Kareem against old man Wilt.

Wilt had to play his prime in a unified league where there were less teams and each team had much deeper talent. Kareem played his prime when the NBA and ABA were splitting talent.

Also Wilt was way cooler.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

Because Kareem is a whiny little punk plus 36 year old Wilt outplayed him so there's no universe where you take a soft no defense (see airplane) center over the most athletic big man of all time.

Correct, Bill Russell is the best player to take.

chunkles posted:

'
i saw this picture of yao ming again and it reminded me that yao ming was fuckin cool

he rules

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's insanely pretentious+sour.

lmao

Oceanlife posted:

I will fight you all forever on this. The fact that we can actually have an argument about old man Wilt being better than Kareem in his prime shows how much better Wilt was in his prime.

The game you refer to where Kareem scored 50, he had to take 39 shots to get there and was out rebounded 24-8 and Wilt won that game. That's in his prime Kareem against old man Wilt.

Wilt had to play his prime in a unified league where there were less teams and each team had much deeper talent. Kareem played his prime when the NBA and ABA were splitting talent.

Wilt played against a bunch of tiny italians and jews from new york. He never showered, stank of hot dogs, and was a republican. He loving sucks dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Oceanlife posted:

If you think Kareem was padding his stats, I have bad news for you about Wilt

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
50 points on 39 shots is really good lol what are you doing

Metapod posted:

The media didn't like him because he was an opinionated black guy who didn't like talking to them so the narrative of him being a jerk got set pretty early. He probably suffered a lot by comparison being next to Magic for the most high profile part of his career too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Chairchucker posted:

Yep it's dumb and bad and we should scrap it.

The NBA should bring back territorial rights so Charlotte can compete at some point

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

The media didn't like him because he was an opinionated black guy who didn't like talking to them so the narrative of him being a jerk got set pretty early. He probably suffered a lot by comparison being next to Magic for the most high profile part of his career too.

That narrative carries for the 60s and 70s, but he really does have some sort of personality disorder a la Rick Barry.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

Nothing you said here makes sense lmao

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

I looked up the gamelog and Wilt had 15 points on 13 shots in the same game (4 of 11 from the line lol)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197203170LAL.html

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Metapod posted:

Nothing you said here makes sense lmao

Lol.

In one of those games Wilt took a grand total of 3 shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
two and a half minutes of charges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRbWuEOwdE4