Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Big ol' catchup reactions post, sorry.

CommaToes posted:

Comic Strip Thread 2020: I hope Lisa comes out of this ok.

To be serious I appreciate these looks back and thoughtful commentary. They are a good demonstration of the value of reading even the worst of comics. Yes, even that one.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

According to the Tracy wiki (which is astoundingly up to date), there are multiple hints in the comic that Bates is the brother of Oswald Cobblepot.

...what?

How Wonderful! posted:

Different Daughters is the title of two different books, one about the very important early lesbian organization, the Daughters of Bilitis, but that wasn't published in 1989. Bechdel might be referencing Different Daughters: A Book By Mothers of Lesbians, which would certainly be more thematically appropriate.

It's the latter; the illustration in the comic matches the old cover:

https://www.abebooks.com/9780939416134/Different-Daughters-Book-Mothers-Lesbians-0939416131/plp

Vargo posted:

I think I'm going to give Heart one more week to pick up before I drop it. I didn't like Heart Classix and I'm not loving nu-Heart. I'm sure it will be very important for some tween eventually, but I am not a tween and there's not much here for me.

Aww, but we're all tweens at

heart

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

I just...really like this comic and character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

EasyEW posted:

9 "My Indifference Is Profound" Lane

Don't know why for sure, maybe because I just also read that tweet, but this one's made me angrier after reading that most of the recent 9CLs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Thank you. I don't know why my vision is so lovely when it comes to making out the covers of the books in these strips, I totally parsed the illustration as just squiggles.

quote:

I just...really like this comic and character.

Me too, I remember reading a little bit of Ella Cinders that I stumbled across a bunch of years ago and finding it really really charming.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

this might be my least favorite non 9cw strip ive seen in this thread in some time, wow

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

I love that bear.

Nancy

:siren: So, I've finally reached the point where I'm posting the same classic Nancys as I did 2½ years ago. I'll drop it so there's a spot for anyone with an access to more Bushmiller stuff to start posting "new" classics.

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've seen folks on SonofStuckFunky mention how Lisa ends up becoming sanctimonious towards her friends. I can kind of see hints of it, so I wonder how much worse it's going to get.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Whenever I see Dethany both on Fastrack and Safe Havens, I get a little pissed because that's way more of Dethany that I could stomach seeing.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Bloom County
September 1st, 1981

Thanks for posting these. I had forgotten how great early Bloom County could be.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Today in Juliet Jones, J Jonah Jackson gets shot down

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 2, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 2, 1998)

Garfield Classic (October 2, 1988)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

:mad: No, bad Mother Goose & Grim. Bad.

Also god I love Arlo and Janis. I really like the current approach to current events.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Compare that to the complete shitshow that was Bull's CTE story, where the person in question never got a single strip exploring what he must be going through, or what pushed him to kill himself.
Bull's CTE story was, what, a week? Two? Regardless, it didn't get the same long-term examination of anything. It's confirmed he has CTE, he commits suicide, we see the funeral in one Sunday strip, The End.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Part five.

So. Back in the April comics I skipped multiple weeks of what I thought were irrelevant comics about a pair of teenagers. She found his picture album and discovered he was adopted, she pressured him into trying to find his birth parents despite him saying he loves his adopted parents. Ugh looking through them now it's frustrating because he's all "i'll think about it" and she finds the forms for him and gives them to him at school and pressures him into doing it. Then he checks his mailbox literally every day until -

So we drop it and do unrelated things for a while. Until....

Funky Winkerbean - July 17-18, 22-26, 28-29. Skipping a few because the author dragged out the dramatic pacing as much as possible and no thanks.

dun dun DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
We've been talking so much about Saint Lisa, but isn't there a moment in the future where Les gets a phone call from his dead wife telling him not to get on a plane, which then crashes, or something like that? I swear I'm not making this up. I think.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Oh wow, my PO Box exclusively dedicated to receiving information about my biological parents sure did get full after I stopped checking it obsessively!

I'm sure it's nothing, into the trash with it all."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

We've been talking so much about Saint Lisa, but isn't there a moment in the future where Les gets a phone call from his dead wife telling him not to get on a plane, which then crashes, or something like that? I swear I'm not making this up. I think.

No, that was indeed a thing that happened.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vargo posted:

Yeah it happened and it's also never brought up again I think in favor of a much more boring plot of "les consistently failing to reach the final stage of grief"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, folks. From here (July) until October, there are only two week-long breaks from cancerwife. I will be skipping both, as they don't seem interesting. Strap yourselves in for unlimited cancer until the very end. I'm planning to stop posting Funky Winkerbean after that, as this was specifically to check out the cancer story, and while the art in this comic is genuinely amazing, the everything else in it just isn't worth it.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Part five.

So. Back in the April comics I skipped multiple weeks of what I thought were irrelevant comics about a pair of teenagers. She found his picture album and discovered he was adopted, she pressured him into trying to find his birth parents despite him saying he loves his adopted parents. Ugh looking through them now it's frustrating because he's all "i'll think about it" and she finds the forms for him and gives them to him at school and pressures him into doing it. Then he checks his mailbox literally every day until -

So we drop it and do unrelated things for a while. Until....

Funky Winkerbean - July 17-18, 22-26, 28-29. Skipping a few because the author dragged out the dramatic pacing as much as possible and no thanks.

dun dun DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I'd like to point out the implausible part of the adoption subplot. Lisa gave birth and gave the child up to be adopted anonymously. Her husband, creepy Les Moore, works at the local high school. Both the principal of the school, Fred Fairgood, and his wife Anne also work there. Fred and Anne adopted a son. Lisa and Les know this, and they also know when young Darrin Fairgood's birthday is. This is all explicitly stated elsewhere in the strip. And they never even suspect the truth.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

gleebster posted:

I'd like to point out the implausible part of the adoption subplot. Lisa gave birth and gave the child up to be adopted anonymously. Her husband, creepy Les Moore, works at the local high school. Both the principal of the school, Fred Fairgood, and his wife Anne also work there. Fred and Anne adopted a son. Lisa and Les know this, and they also know when young Darrin Fairgood's birthday is. This is all explicitly stated elsewhere in the strip. And they never even suspect the truth.

Well I mean come on, do the kids really matter, even ones that came from Saint Lisa?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well I mean come on, do the kids really matter, even ones that came from Saint Lisa?
Hell, Funky barely matters and the comic's named after him! He's supposed to be the main character!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Strap yourselves in for unlimited cancer

one for the "offer I cannot possibly refuse" file

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side
MstZNA0l.jpg
“We should write that spot down.”

4RAUMYIl.jpg
“I’ve seen this sort of thing before, Baxter … and it’s not a pretty sight.”

FxeOQLcl.jpg

ZPswnjIl.jpg
“Honey, the Merrimonts are here. … They’d like to come down and see your ape-man project.”

BM4NFyWl.jpg

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 25, 2022

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Here we meet Heimo Suominen, the county building official responsible of Mämmilä's public works. He is a major character in the series.

Last time we touched upon the Finnish civil war, today we talk about one of its legacies. Muilutus was an act of kidnapping communists or leftists in general, transporting them out of town, often near or even over the Russian border, and leaving them there. These "haulings" took place in the early thirties and were mostly connected to Lapua Movement, a right-wing radical, anti-communist movement. The kidnappings were usually accompanied with beatings, and three people were killed during them.

We also get a dating, the vote is for the presidential election of 1978, held January 15-16. The winner was, as expected, Urho Kekkonen, who won his fourth and last term.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, Funky barely matters and the comic's named after him! He's supposed to be the main character!

The only important Batyuk-yuk character was John Darling, and you can tell because he was let go easy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sept 29, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 20-21, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 9-10, 2015)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

gleebster posted:

That's understandable, since any reasonable person looking at the situation would realize that Darin and his girlfriend are twins so his birth father must be her father, John Darling.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hostile V posted:

You can't gently caress a ghost. I learned that lesson from MacGruber.

Dan Aykroyd would say otherwise.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Heart

Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How long ago was the internet really into bacon? We may be able to figure out exactly how far behind the times Billingsley is.

EDIT: It was like, what, seventy years ago?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The internet still loves bacon.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big "shut the gently caress up Ruthie"

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh yes. The Weenieworld she managed while Brad was working there. She harassed Brad (sexually and just in general) to the point that TJ started working there as well to get "revenge." But please, Evanses, keep reminding us of all the ways that everybody here knows exactly what Anne Eiffel's deal is so we can continue to wonder why she's allowed to enter this establishment in the first place.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh yes. The Weenieworld she managed while Brad was working there. She harassed Brad (sexually and just in general) to the point that TJ started working there as well to get "revenge." But please, Evanses, keep reminding us of all the ways that everybody here knows exactly what Anne Eiffel's deal is so we can continue to wonder why she's allowed to enter this establishment in the first place.

You know, you have the right to refuse service. If a customer is throwing you this much abuse you are allowed to kick them out.

And what's the punchline? "Ann Eiffel, professional antagonist, is poo poo talking the owner of a restaurant", what's funny about that?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BigDave posted:

You know, you have the right to refuse service. If a customer is throwing you this much abuse you are allowed to kick them out.

And what's the punchline? "Ann Eiffel, professional antagonist, is poo poo talking the owner of a restaurant", what's funny about that?

The ONLY reason Anne Eiffel, who is known to have expensive taste, comes to this teen hangout is so she can abuse Tiffany directly. Everybody who works there knows this. Really tells you how much the management of The Fuse care about their employees.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

gleebster posted:

NRVNQSR posted:

That's understandable, since any reasonable person looking at the situation would realize that Darin and his girlfriend are twins so his birth father must be her father, John Darling.

A Webcomic, By Any Reasonable Person

(okay, fine, it's Shortpacked by David Willis)

Sally Forth Binge Watch

Once again, Skippy gets too real. (December 6, 1932)

Peanuts (May 15, 1973)

The Old Les Moore Charm

Crankshaft NoRonavirus AU

9 "More Of That World-Famous Postpartum Randiness" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Popeye cracks a book for the first time in forty years. (December 11, 1936)

Out Our Way (June 21-23, 1934)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

How else is she's gonna impress them and be offered the management position and have no oversight on her treatment of Tiffany? :cripes: