Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno how to feel about that announcement. It's well known that Tony Hawk and skateboard games in general have been constant disappointments for decades and none of them live up to the simple fun of the original 2 Pro Skater games, largely due to some pretty shoddy physics and a misguided focus on realistic animations instead of crazy bullshit. Them remaking the original 2 games obviously means they know nobody liked any of the other titles, but it makes me wonder if it's going to be a situation where they just ruin the gameplay while updating the graphics.

Polygon posted an article with some more detail, including that they actually are using the original game’s movement code as a base. It seems like this is being made by people who actually give a poo poo, so I’m definitely hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blotto_Otter posted:

(Also I do not appreciate this erasure of THPS3, the high water mark for the series.)

Oh yeah, that one was good too.

Dewgy posted:

Polygon posted an article with some more detail, including that they actually are using the original game’s movement code as a base. It seems like this is being made by people who actually give a poo poo, so I’m definitely hopeful.

Cautious optimism engaged.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought people liked the Skate games too but I haven't played those

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Weren't those games already remade

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the olliolli games are pretty dope too but they're more like precision platformers with a trick system

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lets hang out posted:

yes, terribly, as tony hawk's pro skater hd, which i played for dozens of hours despite myself

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I just read it and they are saying all the right things, down to having former Neversoft employees on staff and digging into the original handling code. That article is here for anyone who wants to read it and start getting their hopes up before Lucy pulls the football away once again.

e:

lets hang out posted:

Yes, and the developers of this remake take some time in that Polygon article to poo poo on the earlier remakes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OneDeadman posted:

I can’t believe Sony deliberately spoiled TLoU2 just to throw people off the ending that reveals it’s the beginning of a gritty Ape Escape reboot

They honestly are basically the same gameplay, Naughty Dog would just like you to believe that adding realistic fear-of-death animations as you choke an enemy makes one of those games award-winningly serious stuff

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Theyre right, high-presentation but otherwise shallow games sweep awards, look at God of War 2018

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Thinkin' about how in Dragon Age 1 (it was really the only one I played) when you would fight someone and then go talk to someone your character would just be covered in blood and would be totally nonchalant about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Theyre right, high-presentation but otherwise shallow games sweep awards, look at God of War 2018

Lol God of War was genuinely great though?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I really only ever played THUG 1 & 2 because they were the only ones on N64, and my parents got super anti-video games after the N64 lifecycle. Somehow had a anecdote that addresses multiple discussion points in today's May Vtube Chat Thread chat

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stev posted:

Lol God of War was genuinely great though?

This should be a lesson for when you read people talking about how TLOU2 is going to be poo poo from an rear end. (They mostly hate TLOU1 as well.)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Peacoffee posted:

Lol “jaks been to prison” in that

Also I mean of all the Mario games to say "Has MARIO ever been to prison?" picking Sunshine is like...the one you should pick the least, to make that point.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
GoW has great art and really great voice acting performances, my favorite parts were Kratos/kid/and sometimes the head having little conversations and telling stories while paddling around

Moving from diet devil may cry to diet dark souls didn't make actually playing the game much more compelling that it's predecessors though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Awesome Animals posted:

I really only ever played THUG 1 & 2 because they were the only ones on N64, and my parents got super anti-video games after the N64 lifecycle. Somehow had a anecdote that addresses multiple discussion points in today's May Vtube Chat Thread chat

oh man you missed out on thps3 dude it was also on n64 and it was the best one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also I mean of all the Mario games to say "Has MARIO ever been to prison?" picking Sunshine is like...the one you should pick the least, to make that point.

Mario being tried in a court of law is one of the all-time great moments

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

GoW has great art and really great voice acting performances, my favorite parts were Kratos/kid/and sometimes the head having little conversations and telling stories while paddling around

Moving from diet devil may cry to diet dark souls didn't make actually playing the game much more compelling that it's predecessors though

The combat in the new God of War was way better than in the old ones

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the new God of War has good Knack-like gameplay

May 8, 2006

it's true it is better than the old ones, but that's a low bar to clear

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God of War had really satisfying combat that was both challenging and mechanically deep on higher difficulties. The valkyries are right up there with any Souls game in terms of both difficulty level and spectacle. It's just a really well-put together game.

May 8, 2006

In conclusion TLoU2 is gonna sweep, though I see a strong chance cyberpunk 2077 will be up there as well

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The combat isn't really anything like Dark Souls, other than its meatiness.

I seriously can't think of any major criticisms of GoW other than Niflheim and Alfheim being a bit shite. And they held back way too much on the god killing side of things.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Weedle posted:

oh man you missed out on thps3 dude it was also on n64 and it was the best one

The N64 versions were real rough, they didn’t have room for the whole soundtrack so they only played a brief segment of each song on loop. This did not stop me from playing the everloving poo poo out of those carts, until I got a Dreamcast and bought the best versions of THPS1 and 2 and played the everloving poo poo out of those versions.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Turns out hitting a button to attack is all it takes to be a dark souls now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"oh there goes charlie with another white noise knack post, surely they can't be--"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVqPzlbc3I&t=57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-PUXEJX_I&t=448s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgWHkKX21Y&t=21s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WuqDFQLvvI&t=334s

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 12, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cant imagine wanting to play old style tony hawk skating games when the skate games exist and show a much better execution of a skateboarding game

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I wish I could play skate on my personal computer, but also Session scratches that itch for a few minutes when I need it scratched.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Stux posted:

cant imagine wanting to play old style tony hawk skating games when the skate games exist and show a much better execution of a skateboarding game

Nice bait.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

yeah man and who needs street fighter 2 when i have the ufc games

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

The N64 versions were real rough, they didn’t have room for the whole soundtrack so they only played a brief segment of each song on loop. This did not stop me from playing the everloving poo poo out of those carts, until I got a Dreamcast and bought the best versions of THPS1 and 2 and played the everloving poo poo out of those versions.

i still play the dreamcast versions but i wish the analog stick didn't suck immensely

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if they'd ever put skate on pc maybe i would have played one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dewgy posted:

yeah man and who needs street fighter 2 when i have the ufc games

better comparison is who needs street fighter 2 when street fighter 3 third strike exists

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

unironically dont get the ufc games thing though, skate is still really arcadey it just has a control scheme thats one million times more fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just beat the original Sakura Wars today and that game's a pretty good time. And now that my unemployment payments are going to be released, I can get the new one!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

better comparison is who needs street fighter 2 when street fighter 3 third strike exists

Ehhh, I see what you're getting at but at least the Streets Fighters are sort of similar in a way that THPS and skate really aren't. It's more akin to NBA Jam and NBA 2K in that one is way arcade-y and one is more sim-focused. That doesn't mean we can't say we like one or another, I just am not sure a direct comparison is necessarily effective.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

skate is only "sim focused" on hardcore mode and not even then really

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God of War and The Last of Us were both great. Though I like TLOU's story a ton I did not enjoy a lot of the gameplay, specifically I thought the zombie encounters just weren't very fun. I think GoW is overall the better game because I liked the gameplay and story equally, but I think TLOU's story stuck with me way more personally. So I'm genuinely excited for TLOU2.

Neither story resonated with me like Night in the Woods did though so :v:

I am beyond excited for the Tony Hawk remakes. The details that polygon released have me very optimistic for it.

stev posted:

I seriously can't think of any major criticisms of GoW other than Niflheim and Alfheim being a bit shite. And they held back way too much on the god killing side of things.

There's that one puzzle in the mountain where you have to move a wind thing around that I remember being some dumb bullshit. Some places overstayed their welcome but that seems like a problem a lot of games have anyway (I'm looking at you Hojo's lab)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

The controls are all about directly moving the board, and it's a way more analogue/free-form experience. I get why people like it but I could never get into Skate like I did the Tony Hawk series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

sorry sorry sorry please don't yell i'm just mad i can't do an ollie