Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I should really do a playthrough of Angela/Kevin/Hawkeye to collect all the best actors (and also to melt everything in the entire game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Taear posted:

I went away from the game liking Reisz more and Angela less because of their voices. Angela is kind of an annoying American stereoype, sorry Angela.
Although what she says most of the time is fine!

I went into it expecting to hate charlotte and angela, but mostly came out loving angela, and being "meh" about riesz and kevin. I understand the ideas behind them, but it comes across (to me personally) as slow and stilted. Charlotte is still.... yeah, but honestly it wasn't as bad over time. She had character at least.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The subtitles are the worst part about Charlotte's accent, really.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

orcane posted:

The subtitles are the worst part about Charlotte's accent, really.

Yeah, the subtitles actually make her dialogue seem harder to understand than it really is.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the subtitles actually make her dialogue seem harder to understand than it really is.

Good news for me cause I’ve got all subtitles off! I just find them incredibly distracting whenever I’m able to hear the audio just fine. For a muted TV, sure, but otherwise I just end up reading what’s being said to me instead of checking out the animations, scenery, etc.

...although I’ll admit there’s not much going on in these cutscenes. It does draw a bit more attention to the stilted cutscene direction in this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

I went away from the game liking Reisz more and Angela less because of their voices. Angela is kind of an annoying American stereoype, sorry Angela.
Although what she says most of the time is fine!

You’d be shocked if you met any of my cousins from Southern California, I think!

Because they literally talk like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Angela sounds like a real if goofy person.

Riesz sounds like a goddamn robot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love her "If you don't need all this lucre... I'll take it"

Also playing through the Riesz path but without Hawkeye in my party, so one point he showed up and kissed Riesz, to her going "WTF?" and Angela was like "Well at least he's cute"

Charlotte is great except whenever she's crying and shouting "HEATH! HEEEEEEATH!" at the top of get lungs which is about 60% of the time. Yeah I get it Heath was nice to you. I'm sure everybody else treated the Pope's granddaughter like poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 12, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Angela acts way more human than a lot of jrpg characters

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holy poo poo

Charlotte is Wolverine
Malocchio is the Hellfire Club
Heath is Dark Phoenix

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to question my choice of starting over. I previously had Angela, Riesz and Duran but all of the Riesz is blah discussion changed my mind. I restarted with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Duran is doing fine, he sorta tanks and heals and does average damage. I went Light and kinda wish I went Dark instead but hopefully I get one of those class change items. Angela is pretty cool so far but I haven't reached 38 yet so shes not screenwiping everything with ease.

Unfortunately Hawkeye is really not pulling his weight and I suspect its because the AI is terrible with him. I've got him set to just attack, hold back 0% CS/MP and it still feels like he barely contributes. Right now he's Ninja and I planned on doing Ninja Master for some semblance of synergy with Angela. When I control him he's solid but I want to control Angela since her AI is just OK at best.

I'm not going to restart again, just whining because I should've just picked Kevin and called it a day. Oh well, there is always NG+.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm starting to question my choice of starting over. I previously had Angela, Riesz and Duran but all of the Riesz is blah discussion changed my mind. I restarted with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Duran is doing fine, he sorta tanks and heals and does average damage. I went Light and kinda wish I went Dark instead but hopefully I get one of those class change items. Angela is pretty cool so far but I haven't reached 38 yet so shes not screenwiping everything with ease.

Unfortunately Hawkeye is really not pulling his weight and I suspect its because the AI is terrible with him. I've got him set to just attack, hold back 0% CS/MP and it still feels like he barely contributes. Right now he's Ninja and I planned on doing Ninja Master for some semblance of synergy with Angela. When I control him he's solid but I want to control Angela since her AI is just OK at best.

I'm not going to restart again, just whining because I should've just picked Kevin and called it a day. Oh well, there is always NG+.

Angela and Hawkeye are both pretty bad under AI control for more or less the same exact reasons. If you aren't controlling Hawkeye, he's really only good for a Kevin/Duran party as Nomad to provide Moon Energy and Nature Aura for the Big Punchy Lads.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've been switching off control between Duran and Kevin and now I'm wondering if I should have just been controlling Angela this whole time.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

man, as much as i am excited that trials has gotten a re-release and a remake, the place names in the official translation are really badly localized. i'm not sure how it's possible that a bunch of teenagers in 1999 had a better ear for it than a professional team in 2019, but...

byzel vs beiser
navarre vs nevarl

it makes me wonder how many weird jrpg place names actually are perfectly sensible but just badly translated

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’ll always be Booskaboo to me.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I like Laurent better than Rolante, but otherwise the fanslation names feel better to me.

Woods of Wandara, really?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The whole "Agent" terminology for the Navarre forces is really weird too. What are they called in Japanese?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
To be fair, while many of the proper names from the fan translation sound nicer, it also had a lot of awful overly literally translated names like "God Beasts" and "Mana Holyland".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I also question how much of the "sounds nicer" isn't just "this is how I've known it for 20+ years and don't like change".

The only one I have a slight sadness about is Booskaboo to Vuscav, but I can see where they'd want to avoid such an obviously iconic fan translation for legal reasons.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Deathjester's not even a translation, right? I feel like they just looked at the sprite and went with the first thing that popped in their head.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Benevodon feels like a bad name to me.

They should be Malevelons

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

I also question how much of the "sounds nicer" isn't just "this is how I've known it for 20+ years and don't like change".

I think this is also fair, though imo Benevodon is clunky and makes no sense in the context of Trials while God Beasts just sounds loving :black101:

Goremand is an incredible name for sure.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

I think this is also fair, though imo Benevodon is clunky and makes no sense in the context of Trials while God Beasts just sounds loving :black101:

Goremand is an incredible name for sure.

Benevodons would've been more palatable if Faerie had a line somewhere about "the ancients called them Benevodons for some reason, but they seem more like Malevodons to me!". Established context for the translation, funny world building, done and dusted.

And yes, Goremand is inspired.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Malevodons are a thing already from Children of Mana, and they're merged forms of two of the Benevodons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It was talked about a while back, but Goremand definitely should have been Diejester.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
After playing through all paths and all characters I think my ranking based on how fun to play they were would be:

Kevin > Hawkeye > Angela > Riesz > Charlotte > Duran

Kevin and Hawkeye both have really fast attacks that are easy to combo, but Kevin edges ahead due to also hitting like a truck. And then he also gets his transformation. It was really satisfying to be exploring a dungeon, then suddenly it turns to night and you switch into murder mode and destroy everything :hellyeah: Also his class strikes are really useful and visually cool.

Hawkeye has the fact that he can switch between melee and ranged with his ninja skills at any time, so you get more varied gameplay. His class strikes are boring though.

Angela is fun because it's really satisfying by the end of the game to nuke enemies with a shitton of chained spells (Doppelganger) or by dropping a loving meteor at them (Ancient Curse). Her CS from what I've seen are pretty strong, but visually they are not as impressive as her spells, so I ended up rarely using them.

Riesz is...weird, but she has some fun combos and her summons look cool. I rarely used CS with her.

Charlotte has her summons which are fun to use against enemies to hold them up in place. I think I only ever used her CS once each with her to see what they looked like and they were very boring.

Duran is just "slish slush imma cut you with muh sword" and his combos are super basic and boring visually. He has some cool looking CS, but they tend to be a lot more useful when the CPU uses them to hold the enemy in place allowing you to destroy them with Kevin or Angela, so I ended up controlling him very little.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fister Roboto posted:

It was talked about a while back, but Goremand definitely should have been Diejester.

Eh, Goremand is fine and wonderful. The only things I'm gronky about are Vuscav/Booskaboo and the scene just before the Mana Holyland they decided to only have one kingdom attack the Heroes instead of everyone taking the chance to get the boot in as they went past.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Riesz is...weird, but she has some fun combos and her summons look cool. I rarely used CS with her.

Charlotte has her summons which are fun to use against enemies to hold them up in place. I think I only ever used her CS once each with her to see what they looked like and they were very boring.

Riesz' with me playing as Fenrir Knight was amazing. She can get +15% CS per applied debuff, so every random encounter you just throw out 1 or 2 debuffs, have enough CS for her level 2 Aerial Lance, which absolutely kills almost every normal enemy, because Riesz' Class Strikes do tons of damage due to her combined physical and magical attack being huge.

As for Charlotte's CS being boring: her final dark one is probably my favorite in the game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bruceski posted:

Eh, Goremand is fine and wonderful. The only things I'm gronky about are Vuscav/Booskaboo and the scene just before the Mana Holyland they decided to only have one kingdom attack the Heroes instead of everyone taking the chance to get the boot in as they went past.

Eh? In the original game it was always only the Altenish big ship that attacked you, everyone else just went inside. I also liked that the remake added in various enemies from those three areas in the first half of the Holyland to give them more of a presence, very nice touch.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Whoa, that's pretty sick. I thought it was going to be the one I saw earlier on a stream where a bunch of spiky explosive balls fall from nowhere, but that's apparently her final light class. Doesn't make much sense thematically to me, but w/e

Alxprit posted:

...the Altenish big ship

Gigantress :colbert:

Still makes me laugh how the Crimson Wizard makes sure to say what the name of the ship is when it makes no other appearance

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
sorry CRIMSON JERK but GIGANTRESS is reserved for my drag name

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

How the heck does Matelo make it off the ghost ship? Presumably, he becomes human again after passing the curse, right? Tonight on Unsolved Mana Mysteries

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The same way he got on it: Supernatural Enthusiasm.

Also you never see him again so read into that how you will.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

EponymousMrYar posted:

The same way he got on it: Supernatural Enthusiasm.

Also you never see him again so read into that how you will.

He shows up in Beiser and gives you a chain ability that’s really useful for grinding, so he definitely makes it off the ship somehow.

I like about 80% of the fan translation names better. I thought “God Beasts” was perfect, while “Benevodon” sounds weak and makes no sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alxprit posted:

Eh? In the original game it was always only the Altenish big ship that attacked you, everyone else just went inside. I also liked that the remake added in various enemies from those three areas in the first half of the Holyland to give them more of a presence, very nice touch.

You sure? I thought everyone else throw bombs as they went past, knocking you closer to the cliff.

*checks* huh, you're right. How did I misremember that? Okay, just Booskaboo then.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

lezard_valeth posted:

Riesz is probably the most CS spam happy character in the game, especially her light side since she batteries like a maniac everytime she hits something.
Her CS1 is arguably the best CS in the game because of all it does while doing solid damage(Armor breaks, Huge AOE, pulls in, and knocks them all in a bunch to continue with combos on all of them). Her CS' are also oddly strong in general and do more damage than one would expect(well maybe not Vanadis')

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess to me Reisz feels more like a normal person and Angela is like a TV character.
I do think Lise and Hawk are better names than the official ones though I agree. And that God Beast works much better for the names of the Benevedons.

But I figure they wanted to move away from making those the "real" names? I dunno.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lmao Duran just talked about "getting his steps in" at the Moon Tower. He's such a dork in this version and it rules.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Double-posting to say that it took me til level 49 to get all six of my ??? Seeds - they gave me one of each class change item. Once I respec at Beizer I imagine I will be a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It’s a pretty great upgrade, and definitely a lot of fun. If you’ve stockpiled your Gold Item Seeda, they have a small chance of giving a piece of endgame gear for any of the Class 3’s you have active. I had about 18 after running through some of the Benevodons and got about five separate pieces that way. More if you count the repeats.