Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it something to do with the restaurants that serve food from different parts of the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Unless they changed it in the past few years, most of the employees that work in Epcot are actually from whatever country they’re representing, too.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Have you ever been to Epcot? That poo poo is still comically racist. It is loving shocking.

Go on...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I skip Doctor Quymn too sometimes, something about it just really doesn’t work for me.

The episode contains my favorite gag in the whole series: the Land Rover stopping and Doc falling off the roof.

My second is the Monarch vomiting all over the place while operating the DEATH'S HEAD PANOLPY, THE FINAL SOLUTION IN TAILORING.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually started my rewatch on season 3 so it's been a long time since I've seen Quymn, but at the time I really liked it for being an adventure-centric episode. I might feel a bit different now that I don't treasure those episodes as much, but I do adore it for showing Brock at a new low when training that orangutan. I just love the idea of this incredibly capable super secret agent finding his life at that sad, sad place. It's no wonder season 7 Brock is so checked out after all those high highs and very low lows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dr Quymn is also the first appearance in the show by the Blue Morpho.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I have a soft spot for season 1 but even then I think Brisby is kind of a slog to get through considering the plot is basically:

Brisby asks Doc to clone him
Doc says no
Brisby knocks him out and takes him to a different room
Doc says no
Brock comes in and kills everybody

It's a shame because I like Brisby's character design and it works really well with the limited animation of season 1

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I am Reverend posted:

I have a soft spot for season 1 but even then I think Brisby is kind of a slog to get through considering the plot is basically:

Doc says no
Doc says no
Brock comes in and kills everybody

It's a shame because I like Brisby's character design and it works really well with the limited animation of season 1

But....but the Oranges!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FBS posted:

I'd much rather deal with a show produced in 4:3 doing occasional letterboxed scenes than encourage streaming services to gently caress with aspect ratios on their own

it's a pretty easy problem to fix, though, and there's even :filez: versions that do it

basically just go into premiere, put it in a 16:9 project, razor the letterboxed scene out, and then click-drag expand the letterboxed scene until it fills the 16:9 frame. then run content-aware scale on it so it doesn't look like poo poo, export, and voila, you now have a copy of the relevant episode where the letterboxed scene is full-frame widescreen and the rest of the episode is pillarboxed 4:3.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
A Very Venture Halloween just started on the AS marathon. I forgot about the opening credit sequence being all Halloweeny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What's a malignant melanoma?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not much, what’s melanoma with you?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't know if this got posted here when it came out, but I'd completely missed this.

Back in February, Doc Hammer did a 3 hour interview with Ken Plume and it's just a wonderful conversation. He explains pottery, what happened to make him a paraplegic, shirt club, and how he might have caused 9/11. A little season 8 development chat too, though obviously no real spoilers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/34319028

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Goodness, I didn’t know he was wheelchair bound. Did they ever say what happened with that? Hopefully his PT is going well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Warbird posted:

Goodness, I didn’t know he was wheelchair bound. Did they ever say what happened with that? Hopefully his PT is going well.

Not anywhere officially don't think, but Doc really goes into details in that podcast after initially just teasing it.

I don't want to spoil it, as he's entertaining as hell to listen to, but it sounds like he's got just the right focused mindset to super-hero physical therapy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh wow, yeah I knew he had some severe back issues but didn't realize it was that extreme. Definitely going to listen to that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh, and also his band WEEP also released an album of covers that's dope. Was surprised by the choices, including "25 to 6 to 4" and "Sugar Sugar", but it works.

https://theweep.bandcamp.com/album/songs-nobody-wanted-us-to-cover?fbclid=IwAR3gbAOgLFsHTSHqUblQ7tGIFU_8F-8WQnODqNV4dABUcqAWAql7Tqyw0Bg

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually tried to find his music a few weeks ago because I realized I'd never listened to it. I genuinely could not find it outside of a CD on Amazon.

e: and of course the only song I even recognize on the cover album is the goofy comic book meta-fictional one from the 60s. No wonder I'm such a VB dweeb.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 12, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I always forget how much Doc sounds like Billy Quizboy.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Oh wow, yeah I knew he had some severe back issues but didn't realize it was that extreme. Definitely going to listen to that.
I think I listened to an episode commentary from before the wheelchair after he showed up with it at the NYCC, and he and Publick joked about the fact that now that Hammer is getting a new bed, maybe his back will give it a rest. That felt like a trope.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

And I can't hear St. Cloud without thinking "so that's how Hank would sound if he had a stroke."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

I actually tried to find his music a few weeks ago because I realized I'd never listened to it. I genuinely could not find it outside of a CD on Amazon.

e: and of course the only song I even recognize on the cover album is the goofy comic book meta-fictional one from the 60s. No wonder I'm such a VB dweeb.

there's a bunch of Weep stuff on youtube. also the old goth bands he was in with his then wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-SokCzkw4

thanks for posting that bandcamp link. brave thing to try to cover Cocteau Twins. I think he did good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The World Inferno posted:

Don't know if this got posted here when it came out, but I'd completely missed this.

Back in February, Doc Hammer did a 3 hour interview with Ken Plume and it's just a wonderful conversation. He explains pottery, what happened to make him a paraplegic, shirt club, and how he might have caused 9/11. A little season 8 development chat too, though obviously no real spoilers.

Alright, this is great. Well worth listening to if you like hearing Doc talk for sure. His horror at finding out that he was surrounded by VB fans in the hospital was :lol:

And just to clarify, it does sound like he returned to some degree of mobility after rehabilitation, though he talks about the complications around that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 13, 2020

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Doc Hammer posted on his facebook that he is moving around really well these days, even snapped a picture of himself mowing.

Just two days ago he posted a link to a new WEEP album of covers that is pretty great as well.

Whoops, there it is linked up there. Another suggestion to check it out.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Havoc904 posted:

Doc Hammer posted on his facebook that he is moving around really well these days, even snapped a picture of himself mowing.

Here's our hero in action:

These pictures fill me with a lot of joy :toot:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Great to see he's out and about and hope he takes care of his achy breaky back more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:3: what a dork.

He said on that podcast that it's still extremely painful for him to walk, but that it's steadily gotten less and less painful over time. Hopefully it's at the point where he's able to manage it well.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks to goons in this thread, I went to Discogs and took a gamble on the Aquagen CD. It came today, and it's actually the song from the episode! In decent quality! What a time to be alive.

Am I allowed to upload it somewhere for people in this thread? I don't know if an out of print CD breaks piracy rules, but I've never been able to find this song online.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I feel like it's objectively okay but might be against forums rules. Hit up a mod to double-check, or just check to see if "someone else" has uploaded it to YouTube recently and embed their link.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it's too much of a grey area, just PM a link to people who want it (like me)

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

The World Inferno posted:

Officially on full alert for every meticulously enunciated "Mon-Arch-Mo-Bile" from Dr. Girlfriend.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks to goons in this thread, I went to Discogs and took a gamble on the Aquagen CD. It came today, and it's actually the song from the episode! In decent quality! What a time to be alive.

Am I allowed to upload it somewhere for people in this thread? I don't know if an out of print CD breaks piracy rules, but I've never been able to find this song online.

Oh dammit, I knew I forgot to do something. How is the rest of the album?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pershing posted:

Eh! Nice day for a mow!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

And looks like Pete.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

uber_stoat posted:

plus it's where you learn Dean's namesake.

Someone tried to make a Roger Dean photoshop thread in GBS not to long ago, it didn't go very far but this was my contribution that no one seem to get...

Some heathen said it should've been the house from UP but I knew a Venture Bros reference was the superior choice (even if no one else did)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Warbird posted:

Oh dammit, I knew I forgot to do something. How is the rest of the album?

Like all singles with 6 remixes back in the day, the OG song is the best by far

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It's pages ago by now, but thank you goons for recommending the new Duck Tales. Even more than nostalgia, it scratches a lot of the itches I'd otherwise depend on Venture Bros for.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My wife and I watched Harley Quinn. It feels like the guys behind ATHF or Sealab 2021 wrote 13 episodes of Batman fanfic. But, in a good way. I really liked it.

And as was noted earlier in the thread, there is quite a bit of Venture vibe throughout, which makes sense in a universe with pro- and antagonists. Sure, there's some goofy stuff that's much more in line with the sillier AS shows. Harley's highway comes to mind. Everything stopping when Psycho said the c-word. But the relationship between the good guys and bad guys felt very familiar, and the way they practically lifted everything that makes the GCI fun and put it into the LOD? That was as sweet as iced cream.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pershing posted:

Just sooo much like Pete White I'm giggling with joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, he actually does have minor albinism.