Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Karloff posted:

I had spent the entirety of my life having not watched any of the Exorcist sequels/prequels and decided to correct that to numerous results.

Exorcist 2
I don't know if this deserves the "worst film ever" plaudits that it got, but it's pretty tough to get through, it's intermittently funny which I don't think was remotely the intention and kind of bizarre, but also not bizarre enough to be entertaining. I am glad it exists though.

Exorcist III
I was most excited by this one as it's the one that everyone says is awesome. And it was! Mostly. I kind of felt some ideas didn't come across too well and it sludged a bit in the middle but that scare is worth it and it's got a very oppressive feel, and it a very eerie vibe and atmosphere. It was cool.

Exorcist: The Beginning
I actually thought there some okay aspects to this, but it's brief moments in a really weird, way too action packed and silly film. The nadir was at the end where you have the possessed lady running down a tunnel and Merrin trying to stop her and it's kind of funny to see Renny Harlin try to inject some high octane action into a scene that really shouldn't have it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8UFEi34Rc

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
Weirdly, I heard this was a mild improvement on the above. But I think I actually preferred Beginning, this is so sedate and formless. The staging has nothing too it, and it just feels incredibly slack to get through. The whole incident of them just cancelling the film and starting from the top is fascinating but I think it's only worth watching it as an almost academic exercise (exorcise?) to compare the two.

I'm probably going to move onto to the TV series at some point because I've heard good things and I'm curious.

Besides Exorcist III, Blatty also directed a movie called The Ninth Configuration which is also excellent. I always wished he directed one or two more flicks because both of those are great.

I have to agree about The Beginning and Dominion. I think Ebert put it best when he said they make each other more interesting by existing and despite Beginning being really bad overall it's worth watching both just because of it being such a weird production.
It is a shame that Dominion is so flat, but I think a lot of that falls on the shoulders of them just crapping it out as cheaply as possible after Beginning's bad reception. Like Vittorio Storaro is credited as the cinematographer on both versions but you can tell that's only really true for The Beginning. Still I did like Dominion more overall, I have to agree about the sudden twist and high octane action of The Beginnin's last act being insanely bad. And then the way things turn out for the possessed character at the end :lol:

Dominion's take on that was way better imo.

You might also dig Abby. Abby is, generally, a very low budget blaxploitation take on The Exorcist, but it's also very very very good. William Marshall is in it in the Merrin role, and a lot of his actual knowledge of Yoruba religion was used to build the movie's ending. IIRC he wasn't totally happy with how it turned out but it was a big improvement over the pulled out of their rear end stuff the original script had, and it's even a pretty decent subversion of a lot of what goes down in The Exorcist. Anyway people realized it was good since, before The Exorcist went into wide release and the movie was sued out of existence, it was actually making similar amounts of money!

The movie should be available on some streaming services now. Anyway I bring it up because imo in a few ways Exorcist II is mega budget, over produced, bloated, white version of Abby.

Yet despite all the money they put into it they couldn't afford to convince anyone to let them film in the original home/steps in DC, which is why Reagan suddenly lives in like a penthouse in NYC (IIRC it was one of one of the producer's homes).

Exorcist II really is a must-see movie to me because of how fascinatingly bad it is. I agree that I don't think it's necessarily the worst movie ever made but it's really rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've seen a few people here recently saying the same thing, that they liked The Beginning more than Dominion. I don't get, I just really really hate The Beginning. Harlin tried to make an Exorcist movie the same way he does his dumb action movies and it doesn't work. Dominion is obviously far from perfect but it's at least in line with the rest of the series in terms of thoughtfulness and tone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Exorcist: The Beginning, is a fully completed movie. So while I think Dominion is way better I can see how the extra polish would make the former and easier watch for some, which is fine.

That said, LOL I still remember that bizarrely, almost hilariously fake candle prop Isabella Scorupco has in that one scene. Like I remember seeing in theaters and thinking "Huh they had plastic decorations like that in the-wait, oooooh." :lol:

Speaking of possession movies of the 00s, anyone remember The Exorcism of Emily Rose? That movie pissed me off so much but I barely even remember why. Does anyone here find it particularly good or bad?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 13, 2020

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

First Saunt Maud and now this, I'm crushed decapitated.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

The Green Knight has been officially delayed as of today with no new release date. No idea why it took A24 this long to make the announcement, honestly.

Did it stream as part of the Amazon/SXSW thing like it was supposed to? I remember reading about that and thinking it sounded cool but then I completely forgot it was happening.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

graventy posted:

Did it stream as part of the Amazon/SXSW thing like it was supposed to? I remember reading about that and thinking it sounded cool but then I completely forgot it was happening.

No I don't think so. They streamed select titles from SXSW and that wasn't one of them.

A bunch of film fests (Cannes, Sundance, possibly Venice and Toronto) are combining for an online festival in Aug/Sept so maybe it'll end up there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

graventy posted:

gently caress, I didn't know that was a limited event. I spotted those, and had a few "Oh, I should watch that sometime" moments, and then forgot.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of possession movies of the 00s, anyone remember The Exorcism of Emily Rose? That movie pissed me off so much but I barely even remember why. Does anyone here find it particularly good or bad?
I have not seen this movie, but I just listened to a podcast about the girl that the movie is loosely based on and it was incredibly sad :( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

I have not seen this movie, but I just listened to a podcast about the girl that the movie is loosely based on and it was incredibly sad :( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

Oh, investigations and historical records of real exorcisms are incredibly depressing and horrific.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, investigations and historical records of real exorcisms are incredibly depressing and horrific.

I don't think I've ever sought out the true story of a possession film because like... there's no way that can go well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Only the ones that get publicity tbh. I'm Roman Catholic and 99.9% of all Catholic exorcisms are just praying over somebody, oftentimes repeatedly.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wonder how her psychosis would have manifested if she had not come from a deeply religious family? She starved to death and had broken bones and they just kept giving her exorcisms.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

flashy_mcflash posted:

No I don't think so. They streamed select titles from SXSW and that wasn't one of them.

A bunch of film fests (Cannes, Sundance, possibly Venice and Toronto) are combining for an online festival in Aug/Sept so maybe it'll end up there.

As I understand it directors had to opt in to having their film streamed on Amazon and very few opted in. Most cited fears that it would make future streaming contracts less profitable, which honestly makes a ton of sense. Netflix isn't going to buy streaming rights for a movie that everyone already watched for free on Amazon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

As I understand it directors had to opt in to having their film streamed on Amazon and very few opted in. Most cited fears that it would make future streaming contracts less profitable, which honestly makes a ton of sense. Netflix isn't going to buy streaming rights for a movie that everyone already watched for free on Amazon.

Yeah for movies of a certain size it might make sense to wait. Depends on where they see the film ending up (theatre or streaming) I suppose.

Speaking of which, there's some really cool stuff in the Chattanooga Film Fest lineup. Looks like you can watch everything for $30.

https://www.chattfilmfest.org/press...qWuUOdzbeTyrUdc

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Only the ones that get publicity tbh. I'm Roman Catholic and 99.9% of all Catholic exorcisms are just praying over somebody, oftentimes repeatedly.

This is surprising info to add to my KVLT!_Lore.accdb file

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think I've ever sought out the true story of a possession film because like... there's no way that can go well.

The Dollop podcast has done quite a few episodes on exorcisms. At least they make comedic bits out the history while they're telling you depressing tales of people clearly mentally ill being brutalized by con-artist priests. I highly recommend them, but they aren't happy.

Episode 76: Australian Exorcisms is the stand-out, but they've done a few more besides that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

The Dollop podcast has done quite a few episodes on exorcisms. At least they make comedic bits out the history while they're telling you depressing tales of people clearly mentally ill being brutalized by con-artist priests. I highly recommend them, but they aren't happy.

Episode 76: Australian Exorcisms is the stand-out, but they've done a few more besides that

Is Dave still stuck up his own rear end in a top hat?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Is Dave still stuck up his own rear end in a top hat?

He's mellowed with age, but he'll always be an antagonizing rear end in a top hat. You either love it or hate it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sarchasm posted:

The Green Knight has been officially delayed as of today with no new release date. No idea why it took A24 this long to make the announcement, honestly.

This pandemic sucks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I was also raised Roman Catholic and have my share of exorcism stories I heard second hand from priests who claimed to take part in them and even had a few conversations with Blatty. I'm unfortunately familiar with both the mundane "pray over" aspects of "exorcisms" but also the more tragic "abuse of a kid who is mentally ill or just like going through puberty or multi-racial or something" thing.

Its just a really terrible door to open. When I was a teenager it was fun and exciting to ask questions like that but the more I heard the less I asked questions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I was also raised Roman Catholic and have my share of exorcism stories I heard second hand from priests who claimed to take part in them and even had a few conversations with Blatty. I'm unfortunately familiar with both the mundane "pray over" aspects of "exorcisms" but also the more tragic "abuse of a kid who is mentally ill or just like going through puberty or multi-racial or something" thing.

Its just a really terrible door to open. When I was a teenager it was fun and exciting to ask questions like that but the more I heard the less I asked questions.

Same, except raised in a Southern Baptist community rather than Catholic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Same, except raised in a Southern Baptist community rather than Catholic.

My dad's a preacher in the International Pentecostal Holiness Church, so I get the whole southern evangelist thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that new Idle Hands release from SHOUT came in and its taking all my power to not call an audible at work and tell everyone my internet is down and cant work for at least the next two hours while I smoke and watch this movie again.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

COOL CORN posted:

My dad's a preacher in the International Pentecostal Holiness Church, so I get the whole southern evangelist thing.

I was not raised in a religious household but went to an Evangelical elementary school where we heard about exorcisms and premillennial dispensationalism all the time. My parents pulled me out of the school after the science teacher announced he would only be teaching scientific theories put forth by Christians.

We watched a lot of bad Christian movies dramatising the book of Revelations and you would think something based off a book with that kind of rad imagery would be exciting but you'd be wrong. None of these movies had any budget so it's just scenes of people talking to each other about how they should have listened to their Christian friends before the apocalypse happened.

I distinctly remember one where the Antichrist was tempting people through VR headsets and killing people who refused him with virtual snakes. Again, sounds like something that could be at least visually interesting but the VR space was just an empty white room.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Omg I forgot. I’ll have to get it on the next paycheck

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

I was not raised in a religious household but went to an Evangelical elementary school where we heard about exorcisms and premillennial dispensationalism all the time. My parents pulled me out of the school after the science teacher announced he would only be teaching scientific theories put forth by Christians.

We watched a lot of bad Christian movies dramatising the book of Revelations and you would think something based off a book with that kind of rad imagery would be exciting but you'd be wrong. None of these movies had any budget so it's just scenes of people talking to each other about how they should have listened to their Christian friends before the apocalypse happened.

I distinctly remember one where the Antichrist was tempting people through VR headsets and killing people who refused him with virtual snakes. Again, sounds like something that could be at least visually interesting but the VR space was just an empty white room.

Good time to re-mention this:

It's amazing how bad/wild the Mark IV movies are and yet how they manage to be watchable they are for the batshit, unchanging viewpoint of evangelical Christianity. All four of them are up on Amazon now. They've had some alternate titles over time but the original ones are used here:

A Thief in the Night
A Distant Thunder
Image of the Beast
Prodigal Planet

The first one is only 69 (nice :D ) minutes long so give'em a shot.

Anyway these stand out only in that they're like, the original Left Behind movies, and it's amazing how the template for this type of movie has been unchanged since then and how the first one aligns nicely with Evangelicalism rising as a white identity and not just a Christian one. You can see the Venn diagram that is a circle of hey if you're ever alone and don't have a big strong parental presence to order you around then guess what THE WORLD HAS ENDED also stay the gently caress away from anyone that isn't Christian since being a Christian is the most dangerous thing ever you carry a heavy burden by knowing about Jesus. Very few people on earth have ever heard of Jesus before, totally obscure figure.

GOd, gently caress those movies, but these four are worth seeing for the gap of time they were made throughout.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

On the heels of yesterday's news about The Green Knight being indefinitely delayed, Disney today announced that The New Mutants has been rescheduled for an August 28 release date.

lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

On the heels of yesterday's news about The Green Knight being indefinitely delayed, Disney today announced that The New Mutants has been rescheduled for an August 28 release date.

lol

That movie is never coming out

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Guys I think umm, I think movies are cancelled. Just the whole concept of movies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Guys I think umm, I think movies are cancelled. Just the whole concept of movies.

They had a good run. Looking forward to Tsai Ming-Liang's tiktok output going forward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Vidiot posted:

Now is the time to make your own. I got the new iPhone so I can make movies on it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

King Vidiot posted:

Now now, we are all taking the continuous delay of New Mutants very hard but let's not assume the worst just yet.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WeaponX posted:

A more cursed movie than the tape from Ringu

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

its the Ferguson v. Khabib of movies

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WeaponX posted:

https://twitter.com/MaferNitro_/status/1246160528864448512?s=19

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

we should make our own zoom meeting horror movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's called Uninvited and it's a slasher about someone who shows up in Zoom meetings uninvited and then slowly participants drop off the call, never to be seen again! Outside of a Slack message that says "I think my internet is a bit spotty right now, someone ping me with the meeting notes after."

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
get Fragmaster involved and call it Zoom House

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A guy sets his Zoom background to the cursed video from The Ring and everyone on the call immediately get an Outlook meeting reminder pop up for seven days out that just says "Die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just posted this in the WHM thread but:

The Ring Tape is the original Rickroll