Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I still don't know how I actually feel about all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Max will never be WDC

Max's only competition on the grid is Lewis.
Max is 22.

Imagining he won't win a WDC is very smooth-brains, even for this thread.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm just happy to have F1 stuff to prattle on about

I haven't yet processed the reality of Carlos Sainz: Ferrari driver, but I guess I've got 7+ months to get to grips with it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Khablam posted:

Max is 22.

Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, possibly Ocon, Norris maybe,... will all be around for years and are definitely capable of winning titles and there will be younger drivers coming up too. Red Bull are already in decline and there's no guarantee at all that they will come out as title contenders when the big rule changes come in. Max is a dutch Montoya

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pragmatica posted:

I still don't know how I actually feel about all of this.

You like it.

Who'd have thought that the Beerflu would give us a fun silly season

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Max is 22.

Charles will win a wdc before max.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Charles will win a wdc before max.

Charles is going to Mercedes????

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Is it safe to assume Danny Ric is taking less money at Mclaren? Pretty genius to collect tens of millions for 2 seasons and drive a poo poo mobile and then move to a Good team. Assuming the Mclaren remains reliable he will probably be best of the rest in 2021.

I'm actually hyped for 2022.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This is the best possible outcome

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

I'm just happy to have F1 stuff to prattle on about

I haven't yet processed the reality of Carlos Sainz: Ferrari driver, but I guess I've got 7+ months to get to grips with it

I keep wondering if I am going to forget and be confused when he is in the car next season.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Big Char is gonna win the championship for the Scuderia and it’s going to be glorious

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the corona quid posted:

Big Char is gonna win the championship for Mercedes, in 2025 when Lewis retires

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I hope Sainz’s doesn’t Capelli.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Frond posted:

I hope Sainz’s doesn’t Capelli.

Can you express this in the form of a coherent sentence?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, possibly Ocon, Norris maybe,... will all be around for years and are definitely capable of winning titles and there will be younger drivers coming up too. Red Bull are already in decline and there's no guarantee at all that they will come out as title contenders when the big rule changes come in. Max is a dutch Montoya
Leclerc - drives for ferrari. Is too french. Cries a lot, but I am repeating myself
Sainz - he's solid, but he's going in as a blatant #2 in Ferrari and I suspect he'll perform as such.
Russell - genuinely really hard to know how good he is, probably on a Sainz/Ricciardo level. A race winner when things go right.
Ocon - hahahaha, no
Norris - he's a good lad who means well, but he's got neither the speed or consistency to be a #1 pick anywhere

If RBR doesn't come through with the 2021 changes, Max will change team and still only be 24.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

Can you express this in the form of a coherent sentence?

It got cut off but I hope Sainz doesn’t end up having a season like Ivan Capelli’s 1992.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I was rewatching early 90s stuff and forgot that Gianni Morbidelli was a Ferrari driver, funnily enough replacing Prost.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sainz is Ferrari's #2 because he's the poo poo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

lol that you think mercedes wont gently caress off by then when the marketing money runs out

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

your friend wicka posted:

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
He will be remembered among the greats such as Irvine, Massa and Barrichello.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Barrichello was far better than Irvine. And I also rate him above Massa.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Had it not been for Schumacher being in the wrong car/getting injured between 1996-1999 I feel he would have been WDC every year between 1995-2000. Not to take anything away from Michael (his performances vs. Prost/Senna/Mansell in an underpowered car from 1991-1993 were incredible.) but after Senna died he simply had no rival until Alonso/Montoya/Raikkonen in 2001 skill wise.

The late 90s F1 field was bad. The fact that 500 year old Gerhard Berger was able to win still, Alesi was still extremely competitive, and Martin Brundle was still scoring points semi-regularly says everything about it. It’s also not remembered but Hakkinen cut his teeth as a rookie when the greats were still racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

Had it not been for Schumacher being in the wrong car/getting injured between 1996-1999 I feel he would have been WDC every year between 1995-2000. Not to take anything away from Michael (his performances vs. Prost/Senna/Mansell in an underpowered car from 1991-1993 were incredible.) but after Senna died he simply had no rival until Alonso/Montoya/Raikkonen in 2001 skill wise.

The late 90s F1 field was bad. The fact that 500 year old Gerhard Berger was able to win still, Alesi was still extremely competitive, and Martin Brundle was still scoring points semi-regularly says everything about it. It’s also not remembered but Hakkinen cut his teeth as a rookie when the greats were still racing.

We are enemies now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Häkkinen owns

brendog
Mar 23, 2020

a kinda dumb question about refueling rules:
when the rule changed, not allowing refueling during the race, did teams just make their fuel tanks just like, way bigger? was it common to refuel say, twice a race (or whenever you pit) before the change? i am having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a 3x increase in fuel cell size because i am simple. please let me know if you have insight

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

brendog posted:

when the rule changed, not allowing refueling during the race, did teams just make their fuel tanks just like, way bigger? was it common to refuel say, twice a race (or whenever you pit) before the change? i am having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a 3x increase in fuel cell size because i am simple. please let me know if you have insight

i don't have any insight, hope this helps!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

brendog posted:

when the rule changed, not allowing refueling during the race, did teams just make their fuel tanks just like, way bigger?

yes

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

jfc sainz might actually win a race

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

brendog posted:

The teams didn't start refuelling mid race as they were short on fuel or anything, it just (eventually) got shown to be a quicker strategy overall

So yeah they just went back to how it used to be and stuck a big ol' tank in there

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Did the cars have gas tanks that could potentially last a whole race if they were trying to save time without refueling? Or did cars get slightly bigger when they banned refueling?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

V for Vegans posted:

Did the cars have gas tanks that could potentially last a whole race if they were trying to save time without refueling? Or did cars get slightly bigger when they banned refueling?

Depends on the era and the car.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

V for Vegans posted:

The whole point of refuelling was that it was quicker. The extra few seconds lost in the pits was massively outweighed by the time you gained not having to lug around the fuel

So no the tanks would have been only just big enough to take the fuel it needed.

It wasn't like the races where they could probably get away without changing tires and only did it because the regulations demanded it

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
remember that poo poo where the cars would spend time trying to burn off fuel in quali, god formula 1 is poo poo or am i just going senile

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

Häkkinen owns

He drove for Big Ron, so he's okay in my book :thumbsup:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

brendog posted:

They made the cars longer to accommodate roughly double the tank capacity needed for the V8s to run a full race. A current F1 tank holds about the same as one from back in the refueling days.

Easy to forget it has been 10 years since refueling was banned and it is alien to a whole generation of fans. Just another thing to feel loving old about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spaceblancmange posted:

They made the cars longer to accommodate roughly double the tank capacity needed for the V8s to run a full race. A current F1 tank holds about the same as one from back in the refueling days.

Easy to forget it has been 10 years since refueling was banned and it is alien to a whole generation of fans. Just another thing to feel loving old about.

Lol I'm old enough to remember refueling getting introduced in 94 .

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

your friend wicka posted:

A number 2 driver for a number 2 team, and I don't mean position in the standings.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

algebra testes posted:

Lol I'm old enough to remember refueling getting introduced in 94 .

95-96 was when I really started paying attention so refueling was the norm for me as was a pit speed limit which was introduced the same year but not until after San Marino. :psyduck:

Going back to watch 80s and early 90s F1 where they are screaming down a crowded pitlane full of mechanics wearing t-shirts and gym shorts is hilarious and terrifying.

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

They've made Carlos write a letter to his captors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkttbarDKU

Dear Slim, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em