Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

algebra testes posted:

Lol I'm old enough to remember refueling getting introduced in 94 .
Introduced? What about when Gordon Murray [is God] invented it in 1982

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He’s a legend, OP. The dude invented gas

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spaceblancmange posted:

95-96 was when I really started paying attention so refueling was the norm for me as was a pit speed limit which was introduced the same year but not until after San Marino. :psyduck:

Imola was such loving poo poo show that people forget a wheel came off in the pits nearly killing someone causing the Pit Speed Limit to be introduced.

That and I'm pretty sure someone stacked it in Spain and their legs were dangling out of the front of the car. 94 was a Bad Year.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Yeah, that was Andrea Montermini as Ratzenberger's replacement at Simtek in Spain, the race before that in Monaco put Karl Wendlinger in a coma for a month and Martin Brundle almost Bianchi'd in Japan.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

There was also Pedro Lamy's testing accident where his car ended up in a Silverstone pedestrian tunnel. Somehow he got away with broken legs and wrists.

Oh, and speaking of Silverstone, JJ Lehto broke his neck there in preseason testing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

spaceblancmange posted:

95-96 was when I really started paying attention so refueling was the norm for me as was a pit speed limit which was introduced the same year but not until after San Marino. :psyduck:

Going back to watch 80s and early 90s F1 where they are screaming down a crowded pitlane full of mechanics wearing t-shirts and gym shorts is hilarious and terrifying.

I'm pretty sure there have been pit speed limits longer than that, but the limit just used to be higher. Like 120 kph.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-to-renault/

what the hell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao what. This is like the most insane parts of bacon briefcase season except it's real.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Cannot help but laugh that Vettel thought he was playing 5D chess and it turned out to be musical chairs and the music's stopped.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

music’s

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Vettel out
Alonso In
Danny Ric to McLadden
Sainz to redeem the fail
Lewis continuing to GET IN

F1 might actually become... good?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CancerCakes posted:

Vettel out
Alonso In
Danny Ric to McLadden
Sainz to redeem the fail
Lewis continuing to GET IN

F1 might actually become... good?

Counterpoint: Stroll, Grosjean, Ferrari

It seems to get better, though

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress does Alonso manage to demand such high wages still. He's washed up, old and now driving for a midfield team

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pragmatica posted:

I still don't know how I actually feel about all of this.

Wait who are you and what happened to iospace??

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Dirk Pitt posted:

I would like for Alonso to drive for Renault. It would entertain me greatly.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

What's the point? Spanish fans are already gonna tune in to watch Sainz in the Ferrari. It would make more sense to bribe Renault to take Vettel instead (although I understand if they don't want him even for free)

Just take some random youngster, they might be good! Although the real best choice would be clearly our Jamie Chadwick

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to imagine the Chad would bring in way more fans than the Fern. Alonso is not exactly Senna. Also didn't he say something about waiting for a competitive car? *chuckle* Renault? *chuckle*

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

The idea that Vettel thinks he can get a Mercedes drive is laughable

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Remember when he was at McLaren with Are Ron, Ayrton and Le Professeur? What a loving team, Phwoar!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

track day bro! posted:

How the gently caress does Alonso manage to demand such high wages still. He's washed up, old and now driving for a midfield team

It’s completely baffling.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Alsonso hasn't won a race in 7 years and still charging near-Hamilton money :psyduck:.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

MZ posted:

Alsonso hasn't won a race in 7 years and still charging near-Hamilton money :psyduck:.

no one said f1 teams were smart dealers

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Late career Alonso just comes off as a bitter self entitled rear end in a top hat, I’m sure reddit eats that poo poo up but I don’t see why anybody else finds him even close to likeable. He’s not some brilliantly skilled racer, he’s an opportunist that has jumped into the best cars in series where the field has a lower skill level and he’s going to throw the toys out of the pram as soon as he sees that Renault is a dog or Ocon beats him just like at the second Indy attempt.

I rag on Valentino Rossi a lot but he aged out a lot more gracefully and was in championship contention a lot later into his career than Alonso ever was. The Yamaha was a complete dog the past few years and he just put his head down and worked to find a solution. And now that they’ve seemly righted the ship and they’re showing him the door at the factory team he wants to go to a satellite team because he still enjoys racing, Alonso would just be a bitter little toddler having a constant tantrum if the same situation happened to him.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

jazzyhattrick posted:

Remember when he was at McLaren with Are Ron, Ayrton and Le Professeur? What a loving team, Phwoar!

a team that could only be stopped by *checks notes* says here "Jean-Louis Schlesser"?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

It’s completely baffling.

I don't care anymore. If they want him in fine, but I hope he flames out and goes away. I had a lot of goodwill for him at the end of 2017 - that has long since evaporated.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

They've made Carlos write a letter to his captors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkttbarDKU

Where is Vettel's letter apologizing for being complete garbage

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

track day bro! posted:

Also how does Renault claim that 30 million is too much when they were paying Dan 26?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

algebra testes posted:

Lol I'm old enough to remember refueling getting introduced in 94 .

*Re-Introduced.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

Also how does Renault claim that 30 million is too much when they were paying Dan 26?

Evidently the Renault board weren't terribly impressed with their ROI on Ricciardo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I dont miss Alonso whinny radiocalls

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Evidently the Renault board weren't terribly impressed with their ROI on Ricciardo.

They should have built a better car then.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MustardFacial posted:

Hate to say it but if you put both of them in the same car now my bet would be on Dan. I mean maybe hes still got pals from way back at enstone and maybe they really like the idea of the Kimoa logo everywhere idk.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Frond posted:

I never understood Cyril "the squirrel" Abiteboul's smugness towards Horner the day they signed Danny Ric. 1) Why did Renault think they need a star driver in the first place there's not a driver on the grid that could drag that car onto the podium regularly and 2) why did they think that star driver was danny ric? He was acting like he pulled the wool over Red Bull's eyes or something and Horner just shrugged and went "hope you've got the money" or some poo poo and when you make Horner look like the reasonable level-headed one you have hosed up massively.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

cuz he owns, op

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

cuz he owns, op

There’s an overwhelming amount of evidence towards the contrary

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS
5D chess, years in the making.

Feels good man.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

I never understood Cyril "the squirrel" Abiteboul's smugness towards Horner the day they signed Danny Ric. 1) Why did Renault think they need a star driver in the first place there's not a driver on the grid that could drag that car onto the podium regularly and 2) why did they think that star driver was danny ric? He was acting like he pulled the wool over Red Bull's eyes or something and Horner just shrugged and went "hope you've got the money" or some poo poo and when you make Horner look like the reasonable level-headed one you have hosed up massively.

I know we have a storied history of dunking on Bad PeopleTM in Formula One who suck poo poo and drink piss at their jobs (hi, Seb!), but it baffles me that Abiteboul doesn't get more flack for being an unsconscionable shithead who just doesn't loving get it. Like the Renault press release was more about making GBS threads on Ricciardo not being a team player rather than acknowledging that nobody wants to be trapped in a poo poo team that is going further and further down the grid despite their ridiculous manufacturer backing. :psyduck:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pacinamac posted:

Feels good man.

can we make this post the thread title??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Pacinamac posted:

Feels good man.

Reminder that Will Stevens was once and F1 driver