Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

smoobles posted:

I almost threw up just from imagining this

I could see it working in zero g, like a fusion of Portal and Lone Echo.

However, based on their caution with Alyx's movement, I doubt we'll see anything from them that requires artificial movement anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m about half way through the series and they’re fantastic

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

Can their next big game be Portal VR tho

HLA exists solely because Valve tried that, discovered there's no way to make it work in VR without removing portals entirely, and then moved to the other big single player franchise they have. I wouldn't rule out smaller VR titles in the Aperture setting since Valve seems to love those, but I think a proper Portal game is entirely out of the question at this point. I'd sooner expect them to revive Prospero in VR before a Portal VR title.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Portal VR would be amazing but Valve would never make anything that wouldn't be playable by everyone and it's not like you can play Portal with teleport locomotion.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fstop on the other hand, would be very doable in VR.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Valve where's my Ricochet VR where when you get decapitated your view spins wildly around as your head pings away

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

NtotheTC posted:

Valve where's my Ricochet VR where when you get decapitated your view spins wildly around as your head pings away

The innertubes in VRchat let you chuck friends like frisbees when they're sitting in them and I spent nearly an hour with randoms throwing my drunk friend across the snow. I did it once sober and it almost took me directly to puke city. I approve of your idea nonetheless.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I couldn't blame Valve for not going there but man I'd love a chance to play around in the Portal setting in full VR :sigh:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just stick your finger down your throat, same thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I survived Boneworks while hungover and dehydrated, I'll chance it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Whatever Half-Life 3 ends up being it will certainly have something to do with Portal, in at least Aperture Science exists. If you can do something Portal-like in VR Valve would be the ones to do it without making everyone vomit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A robotic resurrected Cave Johnson continues his vendetta against a long-dead Black Mesa, attempting to defeat Gordon using a portal gun. Gordon vomits uncontrollably upon ever entering any portal, giving the player good reason to avoid them and the similar real-life complications.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a dream last night that I was playing HLA and I was in a section with Jeff and one of the zombies that throws headcrabs and it got too intense, so I took my headset off and I was still in the game, it wouldn’t go away, I couldn’t escape it and it was terrifying.

It was one of those dreams where I had to make myself wake up by forcing my eyes open

Thanks for joining in my therapy

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Actually, you're still dreaming and reality is you're stuck in the distillery with Jeff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress. I knew it

Lots of vodka at least

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
The horde mode mod is pretty good. I wish there were more mods out to be playing around with. Valve is still mute on Source2 SDK?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SabinBlitz posted:

The horde mode mod is pretty good. I wish there were more mods out to be playing around with. Valve is still mute on Source2 SDK?

They haven't said anything, but they added a private Steam depot named "Workshop Tools" to HL:A a few days ago, so it's probably coming soon.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Semi related, Gary has posted the first news update for S&Box (the successor to Gary's Mod) in forever.

Seems he has been working on it again and has switched from UE4 to Source 2.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Semi related, Gary has posted the first news update for S&Box (the successor to Gary's Mod) in forever.

Seems he has been working on it again and has switched from UE4 to Source 2.

https://sandbox.facepunch.com/news/back-at-it

Apparently he doesn't have access to the engine though, and it's still a big IF on whether Valve actually will release anything besides workshop tools.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mod tools soon?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I just want a room full of cupboards to open and a bunch of poo poo to break.

I don't get to smash poo poo in real life like this, I threw a TV out of a window like I'm a goddamn rockstar and it was awesome!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dragonstoned posted:

I just want a room full of cupboards to open and a bunch of poo poo to break.

I don't get to smash poo poo in real life like this, I threw a TV out of a window like I'm a goddamn rockstar and it was awesome!

I hope they'll add enough stuff the the scripting engine to port this over:
https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1235944040539058177

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67wYSTgvus this review of HL:A had me losing my poo poo. Very cute and sums up the game really well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd really be happy with just a whole bunch of Combine combat arenas. There's a real lack of polished PvE shooter experiences.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd really be happy with just a whole bunch of Combine combat arenas. There's a real lack of polished PvE shooter experiences.

Workshop tools released!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/3758762298552654078

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo, I can't wait to see what people make.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hell yeah workshop support is probably (after the game itself) the thing I've been looking forward to the most.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oh man I can't wait to see what people come up with

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone with a lower end PC give HL:Alyx a shot with the Vulkan renderer yet?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

SCheeseman posted:

Anyone with a lower end PC give HL:Alyx a shot with the Vulkan renderer yet?

I’m going to try it tomorrow. I’ve got a 2070 S but only a i5 6600K, so I had pretty significant performance hiccups in certain areas where there were lots of draw calls. Hoping their Vulkan implementation is actually more CPU efficient.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they changed something or I'm closer to the end than I thought, but on my second playthrough I'm finding way more resin (or I'm just looking more carefully).

I think I'm on chapter 8 or 9, and I'm 10 or 15 away from my last upgrade. but my first playthrough I was 50 or so resin away from upgrading everything. I might actually make it this time. (Hope there's a cheevo)

They hide resin in some pretty clever places, I've been carefully looking for spots where I'd normally run right past an area (up in rafters, opposite ladders behind you, under trash, inside buckets, way high up where you need to crouch and change your height to standing to become a 10 foot monster...).

I found one in a non openable electric cabinet early on by accidentally clipping my head through the door. Maybe you're supposed to blow it off with a grenade? Or maybe it had a noninteractive door by mistake

Tip posted:

I restarted it on hard and I'm kinda disappointed at how easy it is. Now that I'm confident at handling the guns and remember most enemy placements it really drains the tension from the opening chapters.

I'm just tearing through the game and not putting any effort into searching for pickups. It only took me an hour and a half to make it to chapter five.

Hopefully the later chapters are more of a challenge, so far I haven't noticed much of a change from my normal difficulty playthrough.

I thought the same thing when I restarted on hard, until I got to the second multiple-antlion encounter (the one with the soldiers up on the platform and the explosive barrels and vehicles). Multiple waves too, I haven't passed it yet

Enemies coming at you from all directions, need to move around and reload while staying out of combine minigun sight lines... It's intense. Enemies are tougher too (antlion legs take 3 or 4 pistol shots each)

tak fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 16, 2020

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Oh also, gotta say, I loved that every object I brought through a loading transition room stayed with me, including random poo poo I just piled in there (fuel cans, crates, chairs, mannequins, headcrabs....) I mean I didn't literally count stuff that wasn't usable, but at least I didn't notice any difference

And ammo/resin in loading rooms I looted with the grabbity gloves weren't duped when I loaded the next level the few times I found some in them

GOTD. Best FPS I've ever played bar none, let alone best vr game. It's the vr game I've been waiting for. I had a vive that broke after 4 months and HTC support dicked me around until my warranty expired, and wanted $400 to fix it. I bought an index specifically for this game and don't regret it at all

I will buy every dlc sight unseen, I need more. If I have to wait even 4 years for another valve vr game I'll probably die. Everything looks so fuzzy and textured and Xen tentacles dripping with smelly alien slime and breathing, and throbbing revoltingly when my flashlight is shining on it. Everything is just real. I felt like my head set was goggles that peered into another dimension--i couldn't tell that the flashlight wasn't real, it's extremely realistic and buttery smooth.

I found myself just staring at stuff constantly from all angles. Weird alien gribleys especially

tak fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 16, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Of course there's already a lightsaber mod

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. 7 resin short

I bet there's exactly enough to get all the upgrades

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tak posted:

Oh also, gotta say, I loved that every object I brought through a loading transition room stayed with me, including random poo poo I just piled in there (fuel cans, crates, chairs, mannequins, headcrabs....) I mean I didn't literally count stuff that wasn't usable, but at least I didn't notice any difference

And ammo/resin in loading rooms I looted with the grabbity gloves weren't duped when I loaded the next level the few times I found some in them

GOTD. Best FPS I've ever played bar none, let alone best vr game. It's the vr game I've been waiting for. I had a vive that broke after 4 months and HTC support dicked me around until my warranty expired, and wanted $400 to fix it. I bought an index specifically for this game and don't regret it at all

I will buy every dlc sight unseen, I need more. If I have to wait even 4 years for another valve vr game I'll probably die. Everything looks so fuzzy and textured and Xen tentacles dripping with smelly alien slime and breathing, and throbbing revoltingly when my flashlight is shining on it. Everything is just real. I felt like my head set was goggles that peered into another dimension--i couldn't tell that the flashlight wasn't real, it's extremely realistic and buttery smooth.

I found myself just staring at stuff constantly from all angles. Weird alien gribleys especially

Extremely :same:

I spent so much time just looking at stuff in this game. It was as much a walking simulator as an fps just because of how I played it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Of course there's already a lightsaber mod

:crossarms:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Skywalker, Maul, Windu

Makes sense

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Portal VR would be amazing but Valve would never make anything that wouldn't be playable by everyone and it's not like you can play Portal with teleport locomotion.

Here's a really neat community-made mod. Not what you're looking for exactly I know but worth a play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446750/Portal_Stories_VR/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Here's a really neat community-made mod. Not what you're looking for exactly I know but worth a play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446750/Portal_Stories_VR/

I've seen that but as far as I understood it doesn't actually have any portal mechanics. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
Spent a few hours last night going through sound files in hammer. Maybe it’s voice blindness, but am I correct in thinking that the first 30-some lines under Alyx is the original actress but pitch-shifted?