Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I beat Hollow Knight and Celeste with regular switch joy cons and I have no idea what the d-pad could do differently to work better

That’s because the joycons have a good d-pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tsyni posted:

What games is a really good dpad required for? I feel like I must not play them.

I really like the pro controller, but I feel like I rarely use the dpad.

Tetris 99, mainly to avoid accidental presses, which was a problem for the launch Pro controller.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I rarely use analog sticks and end up moving forward when trying to duck or pressing up for no loving reason because I am an old man who grew up on dpads.

Analog sticks are great for 3D but for us olds they can gently caress right off for 2d games.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tsyni posted:

What games is a really good dpad required for? I feel like I must not play them.

Crypt of the Necrodancer and Tetris both to mind. I basically only play those games with joycons bc the pro controller dpad is useless for them and even my SN30 Pro mishandles dpad inputs often enough to be frustrating. Which sucks because I picked that thing up based on goons gushing about how good the dpad is, and even after opening it up and doing the hole punch sticker mod it's still kinda bad, so I only really use it for retro rpgs and stuff in a similar vein that doesn't need precise input.

As for games that benefit from a dpad (and don't play so well on joycons)... idk, precision platformer stuff like Meat Boy or Celeste, maybe?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pretty good posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer and Tetris both to mind. I basically only play those games with joycons bc the pro controller dpad is useless for it and even my SN30 Pro mishandles dpad inputs often enough to be frustrating. Which sucks because I picked that thing up based on goons gushing about how good the dpad is, and even after opening it up and doing the hole punch sticker mod it's still kinda bad, so I only really use it for retro rpgs and stuff in a similar vein that doesn't need precise input.

As for games that benefit from a dpad (and don't play so well on joycons)... idk, precision platformer stuff like Meat Boy or Celeste, maybe?

Gotcha, ok I thought maybe some rogue likes. Tetris makes the most sense.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mister Facetious posted:

You clearly don't game enough, cause mine did. There hasn't been controller yet made that I haven't seen develop it, analog sticks or no.

I game a ton, never had any sticks drift for any console until the switch. How rough you are on the controllers probably has a lot to do with it, and I think these sticks on the Joycons are especially delicate.

In the Rock Band/Guitar hero threads, people here would be saying things like "just went through my 5th guitar!" and I'm wondering how the hell they have so many problems when I still had my originals. Then I invited my cousins over to play one day, and saw them beating on the instruments at a level I've never seen before. Then I understood why people's controllers break.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

skull mask mcgee posted:

That’s because the joycons have a good d-pad.

Yea the joycon d-pad is functional and OK. You aren't going to get incorrect key registers when using them properly like the pro controller. The sticks are the garbage zone for the joycons.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing people refer to the joycons' "d-pad." There is no d-pad! The beauty of a d-pad is you can comfortably roll your thumb over the middle area to quickly change directions! Show me how to do that on those stupid joycon buttons and then we'll talk.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Streets of Rage 4 is really good. It's a wonderful sequel to the series, and if you're a fan, well-worth getting it. It's a great brawler in itself and I'm really enjoying it, even if I'm not very good at it. I have to say the continue system is actually terrific. Unlimited continues, and you can even agree to cut your score to get extra lives and star attacks (super special attacks), which frankly is pretty neat, because the game is tough. I haven't played it with anyone yet, I'd like to beat Story Mode on my own first, but I can tell it'd be really fun with other people. I need to see who I can get to beat punks up with me.

It looks great and the animations really look good as you play it. The music is terrific as well. I don't know how the life-time points thing works, but I'd say it really incentivizes you to keep playing since it looks like you'll unlock something eventually.

I don't have nostalgia for the series, having really just started playing all of them obsessively a few weeks back, but it's a great series and this is a really worthy sequel and I love seeing the call-backs to previous games.

There's some things I miss from SoR 3, particularly the fact that everyone can run and the way the special attack meter worked, but otherwise it just plays wonderfully.

I'll have to get online soon, see if there's much action.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The joycons are the best for Tetris. That segmented dpad works great for puzzle games.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pretty good posted:

Has anyone snagged an 8bitdo Zero 2? Something about the idea of a stupid tiny controller really appeals to me, provided it's actually usable.

I have the original Zero; it is just too small to do anything for more than a couple minutes, and I have fairly small hands. If you can attach a keyring to each side and use the keys as grips, it becomes merely cramped, but there is only a hole for a keyring on one side. Also, they turn on from basically anything, so if you throw them in your pocket they'll be on half the day, but that's less relevant if you use them for the switch. If it had a faceplate that folded out into grips, it would be immensely better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mancalamania posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing people refer to the joycons' "d-pad." There is no d-pad!
This. I think it's discontinued though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The joycon dpad is great for fighting games too because there's less chance of you adding diagnols. 3rd strike is super great because you can parry more reliably.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

mancalamania posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing people refer to the joycons' "d-pad." There is no d-pad! The beauty of a d-pad is you can comfortably roll your thumb over the middle area to quickly change directions! Show me how to do that on those stupid joycon buttons and then we'll talk.

are you lifting your thumb completely off the joycon to hit each button? just pivot your thumb's force around the middle area between the buttons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Weedle posted:

is there a better joycon-like controller for phones? i had the 2017 version of the gamevice which was supposed to be a big improvement over the original so i can’t imagine how bad it was in 2013 or whatever. i know about razer’s stuff but that’s made by gamevice too. a regular controller with a phone clip definitely isn’t the most convenient option but until someone makes a wraparound controller grip where the actual buttons aren’t absolute dogshit it’s the only workable one

I'm not personally familiar with the whole breadth of mobile phone controllers but from what I know if there isn't a whole lot of full-on wraparound controllers for mobile phones. Razer's "Kishi" is being touted by tech types as a big step up for comfort, portability, and compatibility but Coronavirus has thrown that "early 2020" release date into the ether.

A lot of the Joycon-likes going around have a similar setup with a case you put your phone in then attach the Joycon to the side of, like some of the offerings from ASUS, Razer, and Xiaomi, so it's not like you have two little wobbly controllers dangling off a flimsy plastic telescopic strip like a Gamevice but more of a solid portable-like feel. While I've not tried Razer's offerings, I've tried the ASUS ROG Phone 2 with its controller and it feels super solid, almost like a PSP when assembled, and granted that's a specifically tailored controller for one specific phone model it was a big "eureka" moment for me when it came to mobile gaming and what it could be. The industry just needs to build that kind of tech out to reach a wider audience than people buying gamer phones, and that's going to take awhile.

But yeah phone clips with Bluetooth controllers is still the easiest, cheapest, and most readily available means of mobile phone controller at this time. You can walk into like any Walmart and buy one these days!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mancalamania posted:

It's a d-pad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is hand of fate 2 any good and/or cool

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I installed this kit onto my original grey joycons and the dpad works pretty well for games like Celeste and Hollow Knight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SG556Q

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tsyni posted:

Tetris -- if you hard drop (and I imagine the majority of people who care to play Tetris do) the Pro controller D-pad cripples the game. At best, I found it too distracting to divert that much attention to my thumb's precision (hitting left and right without accidentally triggering up or down) while also trying to play at a brisk pace.

Shovel Knight's default button map of Up+(button) for magic was occasionally problematic, too.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 16, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the joycon controls are okay for most games but I died several times in Shovel Knight because I accidentally pressed left and right at the same time which would not have happened with a dpad. Thank you for listening and stay safe

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is it even possible to play Tetris without hard dropping? Who is out there behaving in such a way?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Listen, I’m not in a rush. Let the pieces fall when they fall.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Your Computer posted:

I haven't played it yet but the first one was very cool and I've heard the sequel just improves upon it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

enojy posted:

Tetris -- if you hard drop (and I imagine the majority of people who care to play Tetris do) the Pro controller D-pad cripples the game. At best, I found it too distracting to divert that much attention to my thumb's precision (hitting left and right without accidentally triggering up or down) while also trying to play at a brisk pace.

There's a reduced sensitivity option that eliminated that issue for me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Any game where the difference between up and up+right is life and death is going to bring out the Pro controller's fatal flaw, which is that even though your thumb is on one of the extreme points of the D-pad, you can still trigger the two adjacent inputs just by applying pressure slightly differently. For me it was Celeste, to the point where I was doing trials on a long flat piece of ground to see how many right dashes I could pull off in a row without an up-right dash sneaking in there, and the results were not good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm not personally familiar with the whole breadth of mobile phone controllers but from what I know if there isn't a whole lot of full-on wraparound controllers for mobile phones. Razer's "Kishi" is being touted by tech types as a big step up for comfort, portability, and compatibility but Coronavirus has thrown that "early 2020" release date into the ether.

A lot of the Joycon-likes going around have a similar setup with a case you put your phone in then attach the Joycon to the side of, like some of the offerings from ASUS, Razer, and Xiaomi, so it's not like you have two little wobbly controllers dangling off a flimsy plastic telescopic strip like a Gamevice but more of a solid portable-like feel. While I've not tried Razer's offerings, I've tried the ASUS ROG Phone 2 with its controller and it feels super solid, almost like a PSP when assembled, and granted that's a specifically tailored controller for one specific phone model it was a big "eureka" moment for me when it came to mobile gaming and what it could be. The industry just needs to build that kind of tech out to reach a wider audience than people buying gamer phones, and that's going to take awhile.

But yeah phone clips with Bluetooth controllers is still the easiest, cheapest, and most readily available means of mobile phone controller at this time. You can walk into like any Walmart and buy one these days!

While this is out of stock this is the best way to play.

Mobile Controller, BEBONCOOl Mobile Game Controller for PUBG, Android Game Controller for Android/iOS/iPhone, Wireless Remote Controller Gamepad, Mobile Gaming Controller Supports Mobile Key Mapping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQTKLRN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_M2eWEbT0ZKM83

The main issue I had with the 360 controller and clip was that it was very top heavy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Silver Snail posted:

I haven't played it yet but the first one was very cool and I've heard the sequel just improves upon it.
that sounds promising

I noticed it was pretty cheap (60% discount) and it sounds like a neat game, even if I know very little about it

I didn't care enough about it to buy it on PC but..... it sounds perfect for the Switch

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Add my anecdote, my pro controller started drifting within an unreasonable amount of use. I would avoid every Nintendo controller this generation if it weren't for my Switch being in an inconvenient place, I had to place it behind my TV for some reason because it wasn't getting my wifi signal in front of it, and the 8bitdo controllers not being able to wake the system up. It's hosed up that they haven't taken measures to permanently fix the drift issues.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread, but did anyone take a chance on Bubble Bobble 4? I loved Bubble Bobble on the NES when I was a kid, but that gameplay seems kind of dated. Still mildly interested.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

I have it on PC and it's pretty good. Combat is basic but works well, and the deckbuilding/random events/earning new cards loop is fun and has enough content to last a long time.

No idea if the switch port has any issues.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Tetramin posted:

I plan to get eventually but I think for now I’m leaning toward Mario tennis lol. I have always loved the series.

Is it worth paying full price for it?

I loved the GBC one and Aces is NOT that. There's basically no story or customization. There's not much appreciation for tennis like, as a sport. It's not like the GBC with coaches and ball machines and a glossary of terms. It's just same looking stadiums. It could be any sport really. When the game released it wasn't even possible to play 2 sets of 6 games.

My experience was: Aces is all about 1v1 back and forth while trying to bluff your super shots. It's only fun to play against other people, and I had more fun doing that with Windjammers. I fuckin love Windjammers. That game takes over parties. Every time I've tried Aces with people we ended up going back to Windjammers.

So I didn't enjoy the single player or multiplayer and there wasn't much else there :shrug:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mario Tennis is a lot like Mario Kart which is bad for Mario Tennis

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Why can’t third party controllers wake up a switch? People have talked about that a few times now and its very strange.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Why can’t third party controllers wake up a switch? People have talked about that a few times now and its very strange.

Licensed third party controllers can wake the Switch, it's the unlicensed ones like the 8bitdos that can't.

For whatever reason they haven't been able to reverse engineer or replicate the signal used for waking.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The controls are fine but maybe they're not as forgiving as, say, Celeste.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338581971603457

^ this was the most unintuitive thing for me, you almost *had* to wait for the platform to finish moving and stop to get the most momentum. (minor complaint for a great game though)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
2046: Read Only Memories Integral is 86% off and I have enough gold coins to basically get it for free. I like Phoenix Wright and visual novels, I liked Va-11 Hall-A, I like the idea of Snatcher. Is 2046: ROM alright?

It's that or abuse Forever Entertainment's weird sale and get Clock Simulator for free to get 20% off of Panzer Dragoon Remake.

Or do I do nothing and actually wait and pray for discounts on my wishlist (AI Somnium Files, Kentucky Route Zero, Aviary Attorney, Baba is You)

(This is all UK/EU sales btw)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Szmitten posted:

2046: Read Only Memories Integral is 86% off and I have enough gold coins to basically get it for free. I like Phoenix Wright and visual novels, I liked Va-11 Hall-A, I like the idea of Snatcher. Is 2046: ROM alright?

yes. also, snatcher holds up. play it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

absolute dopest intro sequence of the '90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfltRGG_yQo&t=84s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One Night in Neo Kobe City is one of Sega CD's best tracks. That game is wall to wall stupendous.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I watched Slowbeef's old LP of Snatcher and I love the look, the story, the music, just the actual process of Look-Investigate-Talk infinitely seemed really tiresome but I understand 2046 has way less of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Snake Maze posted:

I have it on PC and it's pretty good. Combat is basic but works well, and the deckbuilding/random events/earning new cards loop is fun and has enough content to last a long time.

No idea if the switch port has any issues.

RE: Hand of Fate 2. Port is good. Initial load time is a little long but not terrible. Bit of a battery hog on original Switch but whatev. Good game.