Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah they removed the slow from the cages in the most recent patch. My buddy has been bitching about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

They still make a noise if you walk through them but it turns out that also is less useful without the slow.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Smokes that tell you when an enemy walks inside of them still seems incredibly powerful to me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're still pretty weak due to their short duration, but you can stack on other smokes to get the sound to know when to spray.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Any kind of vision block is real good, especially one that you can trigger remotely and has an audio cue for an enemy trying to push through it. Also, AFAIK, they can't be destroyed like tripwires, which makes them an even more useful part of his kit.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

He's definitely grown on me but god drat is the camera placement unreliable.

Like I've had the same cam location be blue/red between rounds. Especially annoying on Haven A point defense there is a spot I love but it only works randomly.

It feels completely arbitrary what is a permitted deployment and what isn't, especially above a certain height.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got into this a couple days ago. Pretty fun so far, but goddamn the decision to have games go to 13 wins even in unranked is killing me. Having to set aside at least 30 minutes per (potentially entirely hopeless) game is something of an entry barrier.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Having to set aside at least 30 minutes per (potentially entirely hopeless) game is something of an entry barrier.

This is what turned me off from MOBAs and part of why I stopped playing Valorant. It's a slog at best and pure agony at worst.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The game really needs a drop in/out casual gently caress around mode like CS. Unranked was just a test for ranked and now that ranked is out there doesn't seem to be much of a point of unranked.

I'm sure there'll have something on release, having gently caress around modes is something they do ok with in league, though theres no drop in/out which could be a bit of a problem with 5 instead of 10+/team.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Perestroika posted:

Just got into this a couple days ago. Pretty fun so far, but goddamn the decision to have games go to 13 wins even in unranked is killing me. Having to set aside at least 30 minutes per (potentially entirely hopeless) game is something of an entry barrier.

It's a little longer than I'd like it to be but if I'm in a matchup that really is hopeless, at least we're probably playing well short of 25 games

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I like unranked because people there are more chill but I'd be fine if games were like BO18 instead. The nice thing is unlike a MOBA your power level is still pretty close to the enemy's even in a crushing loss so you can still make some good plays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The game will have to launch with a quick play/casual mode or else a lot of people will feel the same.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Having a drop in/out game mode that cycles the map every half hour or so would be awesome. Anything that's a stress free way to play the game for a bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bring back server lists.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

teagone posted:

Bring back server lists.

What sort of thinking is this?

(I miss servers too)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The game will have to launch with a quick play/casual mode or else a lot of people will feel the same.

iirc volcano said on some stream that there won't be a death match mode on launch at least

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lex Neville posted:

iirc volcano said on some stream that there won't be a death match mode on launch at least

That's a different thing from casual/quick play. I mean shorter games you can join and drop at will.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I know, hence the "at least". I don't think there's news on a casual mode

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Casual needs to be more accessible and ranked needs to not have overtime because having an inherently unbalanced tie breaker round is dumb.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I can't believe there isn't a forfeit option.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there a goon discord for this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has anyone been getting really weird ping spikes/network issues that seem to be related to gameplay? Like suddenly high ping when the gates drop or when rounding a corner.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Can we talk about smokes? I've been mostly playing Sage and Sova, but had a game where Brimstone was left unpicked until last so I grabbed him and did way better than my usual Sage experience. Having smoke feels empowering, especially on offense, but I don't have pre-existing knowledge from CS about how to best use it. Mostly I was just dropping smoke on positions from which I regularly got shot in previous games.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dunno about the overall balance, but watching kephrii die inside in solo queues is amazing content :allears:

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Boxman posted:

I can't believe there isn't a forfeit option.

yeah it really owns when a teammate leaves in the first 2 rounds and then you have to play a 4v5 game to completion

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'd join a 5v4 down by 0-3 with a few thousand and some ult charge.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Drizvolta posted:

yeah it really owns when a teammate leaves in the first 2 rounds and then you have to play a 4v5 game to completion

That happened to me and my buddy last night, except we brought it all the way to 11-13. I down ranked from that game. Algorithm is busted, if anything we all should have ranked up for taking 11 rounds down a person.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Can we talk about smokes? I've been mostly playing Sage and Sova, but had a game where Brimstone was left unpicked until last so I grabbed him and did way better than my usual Sage experience. Having smoke feels empowering, especially on offense, but I don't have pre-existing knowledge from CS about how to best use it. Mostly I was just dropping smoke on positions from which I regularly got shot in previous games.

In general, smokes are good for cutting sightlines as you take a site and get organized. If you can smoke, say, Heaven, you create a situation where you can get into cover without taking a risky fight. Or, if you are really clever, you can cut a site in half by putting a smoke in the middle somewhere so defending teammates can't support each other. Suddenly, a 2v1 on site becomes two seperate 1v1s.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Smokes are great on both offense and defense, on offense they allow you to push long corridors without getting shot by the AWP on the other side of it, and like Famethrowa said you can smoke off potential crossfires so that if you make a push you only have to worry about one angle at a time. On defense they're really good to throw down at the entryway to hold off a push, since no one wants to rush through smoke into someone watching it. Since this game borrows a lot from CS I'd suggest looking at people breaking down CS pro matches to see how they make use of the grenades to take and defend sites.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Corbeau posted:

Even doing random smokes of common spots is helpful, you’ll get better with them on the fly the more you use them. Whenever you want to clear an area one spot at a time instead of potentially fighting multiple enemies at once.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

On the attacking side, delaying your abilities a bit to try to get the defending team to waste theirs so you have the ability advantage when you go to take a site can be super useful. Not that you should do that every round, but if you think you can get away with popping, say, a single smoke in order to get them to pop all of theirs, drop a wall, etc. while you still have almost a minute and a half on the clock, well... you've got 50-odd seconds to chill and wait for them to blow abilities before you have to commit to a site.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I think you should do that every round :shrug:

I guess a (fast) full execute without baiting utility first can occasionally be good to keep your opponents on their toes, but other than that I think that's pretty much what the game is about, right? Making the opponent expend as much utility as you can while using as little of your own as possible, so that you gain map control and are able to get into an advantageous position to click heads.

(This is more generally speaking, of course. You'd probably rather use, say, Raze's abilities to bait utility than you would Brimstone's smokes, but on the whole FPSes like these are pretty much a game of chicken with utility and trading a smoke for a wall or two enemy smokes etc is never bad.)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 18, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Had a game last night where defenders were really aggressive and once we got wise and just split up and hung back before committing to a site we won just about every round. At the lowest levels I was finding it was more effective to just group up and push a site hard.

I'm still confused about what to buy after winning pistol round. Do I want to buy something like heavy and ghost so that I have guaranteed 3900 in round 3 or is it better to push the advantage and buy shotties/SMGs even though it means the team won't be able to get rifles in round 3? I know something like spectre can continue to be a pretty good weapon even into the full buy rounds but if you die with it round 2 it leaves you in a pretty bad situation economically to start round 3, maybe even needing to full save while the enemy likely has enough for armor and rifles.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

If you win first round, buy up. Their $ is going to be poo poo, and they either full save after the loss (usual) and you get a second round, or they force up and you have better gear than them and their economy is tanked 3rd round (assuming you win).

The downside isn't that big if you lose round two, it's 1-1 and you're on a save one round. Worst case you save and roll into round four 1-2 on a full buy. If you play smart you can take a couple rifles from them on the 1-1 either just out of their hands by killing, or into your hands by killing + picking up and saving.

The upside if you win is you're up 2-0 and they're using all their money to buy rifles in a round that you could still win out with on spectres/mustang/shotguns+ a couple possible rifle buys. Even if you lose against the rifles, you're 2-1 and on a buy, and hopefully you did some damage to their econ with a few frags too.

E: In general if you win a round, you buy up. You want to keep winning, not play to lose slower.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 18, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

prom candy posted:

Had a game last night where defenders were really aggressive and once we got wise and just split up and hung back before committing to a site we won just about every round. At the lowest levels I was finding it was more effective to just group up and push a site hard.

I'm still confused about what to buy after winning pistol round. Do I want to buy something like heavy and ghost so that I have guaranteed 3900 in round 3 or is it better to push the advantage and buy shotties/SMGs even though it means the team won't be able to get rifles in round 3? I know something like spectre can continue to be a pretty good weapon even into the full buy rounds but if you die with it round 2 it leaves you in a pretty bad situation economically to start round 3, maybe even needing to full save while the enemy likely has enough for armor and rifles.

Yeah, if the way round 2 works economically was a design choice, I think it was a bad choice. It really just doesn’t make sense and removes a little bit of depth/Econ management overall. They could stand to take another look at some of the econ mechanics.

E: to above poster, I think op is saying it’s dumb that even if your team wins rounds 1 and 2, but have a few people die on round 2, you’re gonna be on a kinda poo poo buy round 3 even tho you’re up 2-0.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Tetramin posted:

E: to above poster, I think op is saying it’s dumb that even if your team wins rounds 1 and 2, but have a few people die on round 2, you’re gonna be on a kinda poo poo buy round 3 even tho you’re up 2-0.

This is actually really good and cool because otherwise you win the first 2 rounds and if the other team forced round 2 (with worse gear than you can afford with your win from round 1), you basically get to go like 4-0 to start the game guaranteed, which means buying after pistol loss is never a reasonable option, which means you guaranteed that 2-0 at least if you get pistol pretty much and limits things people can do to try and come back, and gives a super strong advantage to whoever wins pistol.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 18, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't necessarily think it's bad design because I'm not wild about snowball mechanics in competitive games, I just think the decision making is kinda hard. My noob-brain has always been thinking in a binary like "either I full buy, or I light buy low enough that I'll have 3900 next round" but I guess it's more complicated than that in terms of balancing pushing your advantage on individual rounds without messing up your economy longer term.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah there's a lot of situational stuff that impacts it, but unless you're playing in a tournament or high level comp against consistent teams or something, you should be safe treating the rule as just "team always buys up after you win a round".

E: Just remember that your team as a whole, and you specifically, are better than the other team no matter what the score is and play accordingly :) (This isn't just aim-specific. If you keep losing a duel, then stop loving peeking and play smarter than them, which you are)

E2: vvvvv Ah yeah, didn't think to call this out specifically but -- people should definitely be dropping/upgrading for their team if that's not happening. That's the kind of situation I meant with the eco weapons + a couple rifle buys scenario, or if nobody dies maybe one or two people upgrade anyway if they had a shotty instead of a spectre or whatever and somebody got enough kills to buy a rifle.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 18, 2020

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I agree, you should generally upgrade when you can. I always toss my smg on the ground for someone if they want it and upgrade for round 3. The survivors of round 2 should buy guns for teammates if they can.

If they did enough eco damage on round 2 that you're forced into a weak buy even if you won round 2, hats off to them.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

prom candy posted:

I don't necessarily think it's bad design because I'm not wild about snowball mechanics in competitive games, I just think the decision making is kinda hard. My noob-brain has always been thinking in a binary like "either I full buy, or I light buy low enough that I'll have 3900 next round" but I guess it's more complicated than that in terms of balancing pushing your advantage on individual rounds without messing up your economy longer term.

this is the kinda depth that makes CS far better then just a round based shooter, so I am very glad that Valorant preserved it. I hope they continue having trade-offs and tricky strategic decisions like this.

right now it doesn't feel like weapon buys have as much of an impact since even the cheapest guns feel very accurate, so it'd be nice to have more tricky trade-offs here when it comes to force-buys.