Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm sort of amazed that bridges has personally destroyed the national party and it has barely been a blip in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm sort of amazed that bridges has personally destroyed the national party and it has barely been a blip in this thread

After a while, what more can be said. Bridges dumb, news at 11.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

redleader posted:

declaring an nz artist as "good' or "world-class" is nothing more than a bandaid over the gaping wound of new zealand's inferiority complex on the global stage

I think everywhere with sufficient population to support a diverse musical environment probably has amazing bands, and a lot of it has to do with the local culture - people from other cultures just won't get it. The Dunedin sound is less a sound and more an approach, and you don't get it unless you do get it. Most of the bands I listed just won't be gotten by other scenes, and the inverse is true as well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think everyone's forgetting that Bridges held the national party steady in the low-mid 40s until like 2 months ago.

National's strategy of opposing everything the government says and then having a market research team come up with their policy is normally really effective but it has just failed catastrophically in this context. I don't think anyone else in the party would've done better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

I wanted to see how long it took before someone mentioned supergroove and it was a lot longer than I expected.

Their first album is a classic

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They'll bounce back when they find someone it's possible to like

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It may be quiet itt but it's south Auckland carpark rowdy in the national party!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I'm so angry at the framing in this article https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/real-estate/121546562/coronavirus-firsthome-buyers-lose-when-tenant-refuses-to-budge

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Don't interrupt them while they make a series of mistakes? While they don't have any winning moves they have enthusiastically pursued defeat.

Technically there is a "Winning" move but that would involve thousands, maybe tens of thousands dying. As bad as National is they aren't Republicans. Yet.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

National's strategy of opposing everything the government says and then having a market research team come up with their policy is normally really effective but it has just failed catastrophically in this context. I don't think anyone else in the party would've done better.

A "proper" leader for the Nats likely would have been presenting a united front with the current government on the control measures while also setting themselves up for the "Now we need to get through the second part of this, the economic crisis" stuff for the elections

Instead of just screaming and making GBS threads themselves in the corner like Simple Simon

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bridges makes a fool of himself every time he opens his mouth.

Feels like there are only so many ways to call him a moron before questioning whether it's even worth the effort to post it anymore.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sometimes you have to just take the party and aim it at the ground as hard as you can so it bounces higher.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah ok carry on with the music discussion lol

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

A "proper" leader for the Nats likely would have been presenting a united front with the current government on the control measures while also setting themselves up for the "Now we need to get through the second part of this, the economic crisis" stuff for the elections

Instead of just screaming and making GBS threads themselves in the corner like Simple Simon

Yeah, the correct move here is "we are united" with the implication being that you deserve some of the credit for the successful result. Humility and partnership and alliance against a common foe, combined with squeezing out the conspiracy nutters.

Instead Simon is setting up the Nats to take the hit for any rebound.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/300015396/im-the-leader-and-im-staying-national-leader-simon-bridges-on-defence-after-poor-poll-result

https://youtu.be/4sJY7BTIuPY

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Imagine the gall of someone living in a home for 16 years and then not wanting to be illegally evicted in the middle of a pandemic

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i expect labour to drop below 50% by the election, because the rona will be a distant memory for most of nz, and people will fall back to the old National Are Good Economic Leaders trope

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Simon Bridges, age eight

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

redleader posted:

i expect labour to drop below 50% by the election, because the rona will be a distant memory for most of nz, and people will fall back to the old National Are Good Economic Leaders trope

One poll by itself doesn't mean much, no.

A 25 point swing is massive though, and there have been many polls showing an enormous majority in favour of the steps that have been taken.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One poll by itself doesn't mean much, no.

A 25 point swing is massive though, and there have been many polls showing an enormous majority in favour of the steps that have been taken.

Including this very same poll:

Simon’s very first response to the lockdown announcement, was the most prime ministerial I’ve ever heard him. He stood behind the government, ready to work with them, spoke of community and working together, he even sounded different, like he turned down the thick kiwi everyman accent he’s mocked for. I literally said out loud “wow Simon!”.

Then he said something stupid how he’d magnanimously decided to suspend their election campaign and it was back to business as usual.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress, I said enormous majority because I thought it was around 80% but couldn't remember exactly

Turns out I was way low

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Turns out even if we include the entire population as voters, more people have been tested for Covid than want Simon as PM.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I still think it's funny people think that's actually how Bridges speaks, and not a bullshit affectation to make him seem more like a "typical kiwi"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ledge posted:

"the Dunedin sound" doesn't actually exist

:confused:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

Bridges said the Government had no plan for jobs and economic growth.

"I'm developing with my team exciting plans right now, " he said.
lmbo simon you can't criticise the government for having no plan if you don't have one yourself.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

my favorite line is "he has decided to stay and exploit his rights"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

I still think it's funny people think that's actually how Bridges speaks, and not a bullshit affectation to make him seem more like a "typical kiwi"

gently caress, it's the only way that accent could be any stupider :monocle:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair, I don't think I'd ever heard him speak before he assumed power. Well, assumed opposition.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I only remember his meltdown on Campbell Live way back when.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

Also, "the Dunedin sound" doesn't actually exist, this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

The sound of a student barfing over a balcony rail, forever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

imagine actually putting that accent on deliberately

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

A moped with a loose exhaust endlessly crashing into a burned sofa

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

I stand corrected.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Going to capture the ambient sounds of Dunedin into a crystal and sell it to audiophiles for big bucks

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i believe in simon

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
NZ Media

"why won't the government give us free money to stay around?????"

Also NZ media:

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

no

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NZ Media

"why won't the government give us free money to stay around?????"

Also NZ media:

I am guessing they found a government willing to give them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
That place that everyobe in NZ says the name of all the time, Chinese Taipei