Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

flerp posted:

blame cpig

i do, every day.

every.

day.

Maigius posted:

While I won't vote xpods right away I do find his instant jump on me as the one player you don't recognize, suggest he is hiding something. That type of paranoia isn't natural.

seriouspost time: this is a weird post to make about a d1 jokephase post. how new are you, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hello Chic how are you doing my friend

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Chic Trombone posted:

i do, every day.

every.

day.

seriouspost time: this is a weird post to make about a d1 jokephase post. how new are you, again?

First Mafia game ever. I have played other hidden role games, but only in person. I know also that I'm not all that great at reading people.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

Confirming that I've managed to roll Town yet again!

##vote Maigius until they tell me whether they're a newbie or someone I know who has changed their username just to confuse me

seriously though this read fake to me

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

seriously though this read fake to me

I mean is does in hindsight, to me as well.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Reads like a lovely day 1 vote to me

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Game is moving so fast

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Humalong posted:

Reads like a lovely day 1 vote to me

But is it too lovely?

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, it looked a little like awkward townie posturing. Not terrible for an early baseless vote.

Hum looks worse I think with the reaction.

Somber hit a soft spot, scumalong? You and xopod doing nefarious colluding?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

You do know I’m voting xopods, right

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

But is it too lovely?

Yes, any vote day 1 on a newbie is too lovely

Especially one that tries to play it as paranoia

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Early gut reads:

Xopods and NLK for scum

Lean town on Somber

Null on everyone else

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Humalong posted:

You do know I’m voting xopods, right

I do now, but then why are you on it, doofus?

Mr. Humalong posted:

##vote hum

Hum, your circuitry is on the fritz!

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Humalong posted:

Xopod isnt new..

I'm even more confused.
What the hell

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm leaving lol. I'll bbl.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Xopod isnt new..

I'm even more confused.
What the hell

I think he means my vote for Maigius but honestly anyone who thinks a vote in the very first post of a game could possibly be serious can gently caress off into the sun.

##vote humalong for real.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

What

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

xopods posted:

I think he means my vote for Maigius but honestly anyone who thinks a vote in the very first post of a game could possibly be serious can gently caress off into the sun.

I’ve seen enough joke votes turned into serious ones later on to know you can never write off any vote

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

Why not vote me?

I'm not implying your vote was ~serious~ it was just the most awkward initial vote.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The context of all of this now makes sense and my vote on hum now feels good for the right reasons imo.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mr. Humalong posted:

Early gut reads:

Xopods and NLK for scum

Lean town on Somber

Null on everyone else

i agree with everything except for xopods and somber and everyone else

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Why not vote me?

I'm not implying your vote was ~serious~ it was just the most awkward initial vote.

You answered your own question. I don't think I was particularly awkward, but I agree in principle that jokephase awkardness is scummy.

Believing that I was somehow serious-voting the newbie for "paranoid" reasons is... not something anyone who has played a game of Mafia before could reasonably believe.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

flerp posted:

i agree with everything except for xopods and somber and everyone else

Rude lol

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

dmboogie posted:

im sorry it's a xopods reference im sure you wouldnt get it

im mad that you said that before xopods did so i cant say 'sorry xopods it's a xopods reference'

I'm not actually sure I get the reference.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

xopods posted:

You answered your own question. I don't think I was particularly awkward, but I agree in principle that jokephase awkardness is scummy.

Believing that I was somehow serious-voting the newbie for "paranoid" reasons is... not something anyone who has played a game of Mafia before could reasonably believe.

I was the one accusing you of paranoia. I felt that you accusing me of being someone with a name change meant that you were afraid of someone, possibly specific, who knew your tricks and wanted to be very certain I was not them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Xopods coming in hot just cuz he's -2 lol

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

Re: "paranoia" I was talking about this. I didn't realize he was referring back to something Maigius said cause I've barely read this game so far. I was just wandering back in here expecting to find we were in joke phase and surprised to find a bunch of votes on me for my one post.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Maigius posted:

I was the one accusing you of paranoia. I felt that you accusing me of being someone with a name change meant that you were afraid of someone, possibly specific, who knew your tricks and wanted to be very certain I was not them.

No. It's just I'm very familiar with all the other people in the game and there was one name I didn't recognize and it belonged to a Thunderdome loser... lotta long-time Mafia people have recently been getting themselves banned due to Toxx and registering with new screen names so I thought you'd probably turn out to be someone I knew. Voting "until you tell me who you are" was just a joke, cause that's what people do in jokephase. Joke votes are like fist bumps, they're just a greeting not a threat.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

xopods posted:

No. It's just I'm very familiar with all the other people in the game and there was one name I didn't recognize and it belonged to a Thunderdome loser... lotta long-time Mafia people have recently been getting themselves banned due to Toxx and registering with new screen names so I thought you'd probably turn out to be someone I knew. Voting "until you tell me who you are" was just a joke, cause that's what people do in jokephase. Joke votes are like fist bumps, they're just a greeting not a threat.

Lmao that's very specific!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Why is xopods -2 again

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

xopods posted:

I'm not actually sure I get the reference.

when toal was rolling out the role pms in discord the permissions were wrong, so everyone online at the time (me, hum, somber) could see your role PM and that you were scum

toal obviously rerolled after that but i voted to show respect to the memory of the short-lived xopods masonry

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dmboogie posted:

when toal was rolling out the role pms in discord the permissions were wrong, so everyone online at the time (me, hum, somber) could see your role PM and that you were scum

toal obviously rerolled after that but i voted to show respect to the memory of the short-lived xopods masonry

omg ahahahha amazin

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Maigius posted:

First Mafia game ever. I have played other hidden role games, but only in person. I know also that I'm not all that great at reading people.

ah, fair. Welcome!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

dmboogie posted:

this is hilarious actually

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i think there's something to be said about xopods hangin at -2 for as long as he is too tbh

granted the thread is slower than a snail in molasses, but

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah i didn't think there'd be any issue putting xopods at -2 because it's not like there was any danger of anyone piling more votes on without immediately being lunch trained into the ground

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

dmboogie posted:

Oh, I saw stuff about the "masonry-xopods" channel on the Discord. Didn't realize that my alignment had been made public too or that I'd rolled scum. I thought I'd just been a mason and Toal had outed the masonry.

Still not as bad a start as one of the scum (NLK?) starting Tiger King by posting a link to the scumchat in thread.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

xopods posted:

Oh, I saw stuff about the "masonry-xopods" channel on the Discord. Didn't realize that my alignment had been made public too or that I'd rolled scum. I thought I'd just been a mason and Toal had outed the masonry.

Still not as bad a start as one of the scum (NLK?) starting Tiger King by posting a link to the scumchat in thread.

eat the rich is a legend for that one

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

xopods posted:

that's loving incredible, as far as bonehead moves go

my fave bonehead move in mafia though is a game i ran many a year ago where eddie valiant called me out for not contributing to the thread

he was town, even. it was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Is the fact at least some people saw things they weren't supposed to in discord, weird unusual meta-knowledge we can't work with or is it fair game at least for set up information?