Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

That's good, but I expect it will just stop rising as fast for a while. Stuff here is never getting cheaper.

i mean there's always more people and there's rarely more real estate so in the long term yeah it will rise but the reason that the Bay Area is so much higher than even other places in CA is because highly paid tech people are all here and need places to live (obviously), and if that pressure suddenly vents you're gonna see a large dip that lasts for a long time.

Which is good generally but sucks for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

i mean there's always more people and there's rarely more real estate so in the long term yeah it will rise but the reason that the Bay Area is so much higher than even other places in CA is because highly paid tech people are all here and need places to live (obviously), and if that pressure suddenly vents you're gonna see a large dip that lasts for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ySXOUCK4s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

only if you're a landlord or if you treat your house as an investment vehicle instead of a place to live.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

if you treat your house as an investment vehicle instead of a place to live.

refusing to acknowledge the fact that your home is both where you live AND the largest single investment you will likely ever make strikes me as foolish

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

only if you're a landlord or if you treat your house as an investment vehicle instead of a place to live.

a huge, sudden drop in prices would probably result in a similar situation to 2008, where people were just mailing the keys to the bank and walking away because they suddenly owed way more than their house was worth

even if you just bought your home to live, it's hard to get over the whole "i can buy two houses for what i still owe on this one"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

That's good, but I expect it will just stop rising as fast for a while. Stuff here is never getting cheaper.
Take your pick, any one of the following could lower prices:
1) "Ghost house" inventory owned by foreign investors actually going onto the market (rental or owned) due to financial pressure overseas or a new vacancy tax
2) WFH (or one of many "the next Silicon Valley" in some other location) actually being a significant thing
3) Majority renter population finally winning politically across various localities and authorizing new housing
4) State law SB50 or similar cajoling more construction
5) Downturn in tech industry

Would you really want to gamble 1000% of your income that none of these will happen over the next decade or two while you're betting on your house to go up up up?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

that sounds like itd be real good too

my dad makes wine as a retirement hobby and hes sticking some basil in a white wine this time. im super excited to see how it tastes. he hasnt tried it before but i think they had some somewhere and it got him curious

i'd be careful, when you're steeping basil it can get really strong really quick

infusing something stronger like vodka with it takes around 3 days. wine might only want a couple weeks, if that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Take your pick, any one of the following could lower prices:
1) "Ghost house" inventory owned by foreign investors actually going onto the market (rental or owned) due to financial pressure overseas or a new vacancy tax
2) WFH (or one of many "the next Silicon Valley" in some other location) actually being a significant thing
3) Majority renter population finally winning politically across various localities and authorizing new housing
4) State law SB50 or similar cajoling more construction
5) Downturn in tech industry

Would you really want to gamble 1000% of your income that none of these will happen over the next decade or two while you're betting on your house to go up up up?

i like that you approached my post as an optimistic "it's still good, my house investment probably won't depreciate!" statement instead of the "everyone who can't afford a house now will still never be able to afford a house in the future" that it actually is.

i would love if the housing market collapsed and lost 50% of its value.

rotor posted:

refusing to acknowledge the fact that your home is both where you live AND the largest single investment you will likely ever make strikes me as foolish

if you don't plan to move, it doesn't matter. treat it like the stock market and ignore the periodic ups and downs. if you can't sell in some specific years because the market is crappy, who cares, the house is still serving its primary purpose.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

if you don't plan to move, it doesn't matter.

I didn't plan on lots of things happening that, well, turns out they happened.

quote:

if you can't sell in some specific years because the market is crappy, who cares, the house is still serving its primary purpose.

like you're right, it is a place to live. But its also an investment vehicle, and there is definitely a point at which i will cash the gently caress out and deal with the hassle of finding a new place instead of passing it on to my kids.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

i like that you approached my post as an optimistic "it's still good, my house investment probably won't depreciate!" statement instead of the "everyone who can't afford a house now will still never be able to afford a house in the future" that it actually is.
This was more an abstract "you" in this case, cause yeah I don't think there's a good case for anyone to buy as an investment for a while. But I do think there's a reasonable chance of medium-term significant decline in prices. I agree California will still be pretty unaffordable for a long while though, they'd have to fall by a lot to get anywhere close to the affordability of other places.

Also maybe prices will drop because interest rates will go up again. Unless we think they've topped at 0% forever (which, to be fair, was basically Japan for 3 decades).

And maybe there'll be some sort of pandemic that kills enough people to free up significant housing inventory. Or maybe immigration and birth rates will decline.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Don't worry house prices will remain stable while everything else inflates wildly out of control. This has basically already happened with like student loan debt or medical bills but it is going to start leeching into new cars and food and household items and electronics too. So SF houses are still going to be a million dollars but also a lovely new Nissan Versa is going to be like $60k and a loaf of bread will be $25

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if the real estate market drops similarly to 2008, home prices may drop 30% or more, and reach their lowest point sometime next year. however, this crisis is fairly different so it may be longer, and they may not drop regionally near you. so far, in places that are seen as safe from rona, homes are holding their value for now and actually may increase a bit this year. overall, nationally prices are projected to drop a few percent this year, and sales are down about 20%. as people default, prices will go down more, but vulture capital will also be picking those up so they may not drop as much as you'd expect. if this drags on for years as it may, prices may drop considerably; maybe half, possibly more locally, and it could be 2022 or later before prices start to go back up.

things are really wrecked with retail and commercial mortgages right now; the mall of america hasn't paid its mortgage in months

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'd be careful, when you're steeping basil it can get really strong really quick

infusing something stronger like vodka with it takes around 3 days. wine might only want a couple weeks, if that

I’ll ask how long he’s aiming for next call. I definitely don’t want it to go long and ruin a batch because he’s so happy to see people enjoy it

I think he’s only doing one of the carboys but some of them are pretty big

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

Don't worry house prices will remain stable while everything else inflates wildly out of control. This has basically already happened with like student loan debt or medical bills but it is going to start leeching into new cars and food and household items and electronics too. So SF houses are still going to be a million dollars but also a lovely new Nissan Versa is going to be like $60k and a loaf of bread will be $25

i will simply just earn more money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i know a few bay aryans who had already thrown their poo poo into storage or the back of a truck and moved back to the midwest, rather than renew a lease just to live near an office that's closed indefinitely

i imagine all those coworkers who had the mindset of "this place only has the job" are now treating their "get out someday" plans a bit more practically as well

wait a minute this isnt the tech buble thread

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's funny / sad that tech completely gutted and transformed the landscape and infrastructure of san francisco to suit their needs, and now with rona there's going to be a huge vacuum of tech workers disappearing. how disruptive!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

now with rona there's going to be a huge vacuum of tech workers disappearing.

i really fuckin hope so.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bay area is pronounced like diarrhea fyi

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

it's funny / sad that tech completely gutted and transformed the landscape and infrastructure of san francisco to suit their needs, and now with rona there's going to be a huge vacuum of tech workers disappearing. how disruptive!

I think the local/state governments gave as much bullshit as they got in that relationship

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
gotta say, the quality of my sleep was never too good but it has recently gone to poo poo. i keep having weird dreams and waking up tired.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fatal Error posted:

gotta say, the quality of my sleep was never too good but it has recently gone to poo poo. i keep having weird dreams and waking up tired.

same. except my sleep was usually fine but during this wfh Sit On rear end poo poo i fall asleep on the couch from 4-5pm and jolt awake at 1am for half an hour every day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fatal Error posted:

this is everybody these days. it sucks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i either sleep 6 or 12 hours, no in between

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

please work out

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. sustained levels of primal survival worries that most of us never have to think about, that’ll give you that quar haze

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

please work out

this is necessary but not sufficient

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
turned a 32" TV into a second monitor. serious business now.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

chair situation sorted, just gotta dust it off because its been unused for three months

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

c wfh s: pickled some strawberries yesterday after seeing jonny rave about his batch. A+, very tasty, would pickle again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fatal Error posted:

i keep having weird dreams and waking up tired.

i have had absolute gently caress-you chaos dreams the past three nights

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

i had a dream someone was chasing me and trying to get me to join a class-action lawsuit against Dokken

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

i had a dream someone was chasing me and trying to get me to join a class-action lawsuit against Dokken

i mean ... as if

I would never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgAyiQgBL88

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
two of them were apocalyptic hells, the other was me and chris jericho (????) had to go on some search and rescue mission

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

your subconscious yearns for the madnEss of the yosboard.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

i'm now realizing that i haven't felt my bed vibrate in a while. wonder when that's gonna happen again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm now realizing that i haven't felt my bed vibrate in a while. wonder when that's gonna happen again

gotta put another quarter in, you dummy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

i woke up screaming yesterday morning from some nightmare where my clothes were trying to eat me. i haven’t remembered a dream in 20 years.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol everyone in the world is going to have ptsd after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stereotype posted:

lol everyone in the world is going to have ptsd after this

i mean, your posts are bad, but that’s a bit much