Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can barely remember what day of the week it is anymore.

you're joking but i literally didn't notice it was friday until 11:20 PM today despite having the words "Friday" said to me multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm more interested that the quotes included the Zarei part

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patware posted:

those quotes around "Doctor Zarei" are doing a lot of sudden unexpected work

Patware posted:

i'm more interested that the quotes included the Zarei part

I assume it's because they all know each other from their school days together, and yet on the previous page Spender is calling her "Dr. Zarei" rather than by her first name, which is very formal and cold for someone he should be friends with.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you're joking but i literally didn't notice it was friday until 11:20 PM today despite having the words "Friday" said to me multiple times

I wasn't joking, I really didn't realize it was Friday. I haven't had a reason to care about what day of the week it's been for about... seven weeks now.

Roland Jones posted:

I assume it's because they all know each other from their school days together, and yet on the previous page Spender is calling her "Dr. Zarei" rather than by her first name, which is very formal and cold for someone he should be friends with.

This is it, I think. Mina did something, betrayed, or left the group in some way, such that Jean and Richard refer to her as Doctor Zarei. We know Mr. Garcia was around in Mayview since their childhood from the timeframe he uses talking about the past and the woman he failed/betrayed/whatever that he's hunting, so that adds corroborating evidence. The weirdly stiff reaction Mr. Garcia had to seeing Dr. Zarei at the end of Chapter 5 also corroborates this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Okay I just have to know: is it pronounced Jean or Jean?

e/ or is there a third way to pronounce it that I don't know of other than gene or zhawn

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 2, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Renaissance Robot posted:

Okay I just have to know: is it pronounced Jean or Jean?

Neither. Jean.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I walked right into that one :argh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jean or gean

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It rhymes with Ian.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

is there a third way to pronounce it that I don't know of other than gene or zhawn

/ʒɑ̃/

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's spelled Jean, but it's pronounced Rupert.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there are extra letters in his name that only spectrals can see

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I presume it's pronounced in the French fashion, because that sounds better with "Garcia."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-4

New page and :woop:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So the left picture shows Ed's parents and what may be a young Mina? Either way I'm excited.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's gonna own to have a three year long flashback.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

So the left picture shows Ed's parents and what may be a young Mina? Either way I'm excited.

I forgot that the Burger boy had an implied tragic background. This is going to be 3 very sad flashbacks aren't they?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Red yarnstring on the corkboard.

Hmm, the rest of these pictures. From just after Panel 7, to the end of the page, the ones that we can make out the contents clearly:

• Conspicuous shovel. Likely a Tool.
  • A disgruntled child with something weird in the bottom left corner, possibly another tool. Looks like either an umbrella or a beach ball.
  • Young Isabel with Eightfold. How long has she had that book?
  • A character with long hair looking surprised. Features are too undefined to even guess who it could be.
  • Dr. Burger poofing a giftbox while his wife looks on.
  • Isabel's grandpa.
  • Isaac with a lightning zap.
  • Just behind Ed's baby picture, what looks like a detailed photograph of a tree and some grass. There's also something next to the tree with a texture pattern that looks similar to Forge's scaled armor.
  • Dmitri and Spender.
  • Some sort of spout with a flame. Probably a spirit.

Now for the three major photos that's on display:

• Mina with the Burgers, with Baby Ed just above her head. Next to Baby Ed is a hand with a spiked bracelet and black nail polish. Whoever has that hand has blond hair.
  • Mr. Spender and the Activity Club from what looks like 1 to 2 years ago from present day, not too far back. You can see Dmitri's hair outline in that photo.
  • Mina and Rick with Baby Ed. Both of them look distressed, and given the context of the other photos, a reasonable guess is this photo is probably from right after the disappearance of Ed's parents.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

• Mina with the Burgers, with Baby Ed just above her head. Next to Baby Ed is a hand with a spiked bracelet and black nail polish. Whoever has that hand has blond hair.

I don't think the bracelet hand is the blond kid, I think that's someone doing the classic bunny-ears photo thing - note there's another right hand carrying a shovel. The blond kid is probably Rick and the bracelet hand someone else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think the bracelet hand is the blond kid, I think that's someone doing the classic bunny-ears photo thing - note there's another right hand carrying a shovel. The blond kid is probably Rick and the bracelet hand someone else.

Ah, yeah, you're right. If you squint you can see a bit of brown just above the blond hair, beneath the Post-It.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking again at the photo of Isabel's grandpa, I'm guessing that the same figure with a surprised face two photos above is in the bottom right corner of that photo.

I wonder if it's Isabel's dad?:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-46 We know he has a long, flat nose.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-96 From when he was younger than when he's training Penny.

Both depictions have the same hooded eye that's drawn in these two photos from yesterday's update.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nah spiked bracelet and nail polish is gonna be Spender

tell me to my face you don't think it's time for goth child Spender

also i really like that swath of negative space on the activity club picture where Zarei probably "should" be, given the parallels between the two pictures

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

The Paranatural wiki recorded something potentially relevant here- Zack did an in-character AMA as Spender a few years back, and in it Spender stated exposure to what became his first tool is what made him a spectral.

I bet that shovel is that tool.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Even as a toddler Ed rules.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If the comic is currently set today then this page is set a year before the comic started.

...I feel old.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Update link: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-5

Looking again at the cover page of the chapter, at the pictures of the Drs. Burger, and then at the final panel of today's update, I have a bad feeling about what we're going to be finding out.

e: Spender is wearing his glasses in this flashback, so he must've already taken that fall into the lake and gotten fished out by Lucifer at some point. I'm guessing "at some point" is between the taking of the picture of him/Mina/Drs. Burger on the previous page (which would be a convenient explanation for why Spender's face is obscured) and the day of today's page.

e2: If Mina and Rick were involved with whatever happened to the doctors, that explains why they're both aloof, keep secrets from the rest of the Consortium, and are furiously doing research and training to deal with Something. They feel responsible for whatever happened, and feel that they have a duty to resolve it.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 22, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

e: Spender is wearing his glasses in this flashback, so he must've already taken that fall into the lake and gotten fished out by Lucifer at some point.

Wouldn't that be when he is 12? That seems to be the all-important age in Mayview.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Is...is the giant bird thing on the chapter cover Ed's mom?

Perhaps more likely it's a spirit she works with, but I'm not liking how this looks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my god.. the burger child... the bird-er's child...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cropoval posted:

Is...is the giant bird thing on the chapter cover Ed's mom?

Perhaps more likely it's a spirit she works with, but I'm not liking how this looks.

I think it could be Ed's dad. The ghost hair in the final panel today seems to be his mom (similar hairstyles -- straight and parted to the sides), but his dad seems to have a concave face: [1] [2] that could turn into a crescent moon face if he somehow got spiritified.

Incidentally, while I was looking this up, another part of the Day/Zarei conversation jumped out at me. You can see Spender's shovel Tool in panel 4. He probably was a spectral prior to falling into that lake.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Meanwhile, Zarei still has Patchworm's glasses here, but at the same time they look a little different (shape seems a bit rounder, though admittedly that could just be a cartoony thing to have them match her angry expression more, and the colored bits on the sides aren't fully developed). Which would make sense; if she's been using the same tool for a long time, then it would change in appearance as it builds up yarnenergy or whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, baby Ed is a spectral already.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
70s Agent Walker is everything I could have loved from something I never asked for. Thank you Zack.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I guess Ed gets a better toupee when he gets older.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is completely out of nowhere but I wonder if Davy is PJ's dad. PJ clearly has hangups about his dad, Davy being a vampire is old enough to fit, they both have black hair and pale skin, Davy's rich enough to have a servant like Lefty, both have the last name starting with "J"...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is completely out of nowhere but I wonder if Davy is PJ's dad. PJ clearly has hangups about his dad, Davy being a vampire is old enough to fit, they both have black hair and pale skin, Davy's rich enough to have a servant like Lefty, both have the last name starting with "J"...

I think a similar theory came up before though that variant was "lefty is Davey's literal left hand".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

I think a similar theory came up before though that variant was "lefty is Davey's literal left hand".
It has to be both. It has to be both. Zach wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

70s Agent Walker is everything I could have loved from something I never asked for. Thank you Zack.

What a phase to be in a decade ago.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What a phase to be in a decade ago.

To be fair, I think it's absolutely in character for Agent Walker to have 70s phase in late 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

To be fair, I think it's absolutely in character for Agent Walker to have 70s phase in late 2000s.
2000. Paranatural started in 2010.