Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Thanatosian posted:

Not right now you can't; border's closed. Also, you'd have to pay all the Canadian taxes on eggs because they won't let you through with agricultural products, you'd just be subsidizing his lifestyle.

California has legal weed, too. And good weather.

palo alto is so loving expensive, i'd live a hundred miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

Is there a Cloud based phone service other than Ring Central you would suggest for a 4 person financial office? I don't have a problem with them, just curious what other similar options there are.

Seconding O365 if it's just 4 phones, also Zoom I think has a VoiP phone thing too. I rolled my own PBX years back with Polycom VVX phones and FreePBX and Twilio trunking and it's been going strong for 650 users with like a 2 year uptime on the AWS instance I made, but that's probably all a bit much for 4 people. If you teach yourself how to do it though, you can sell those abilities to lots of other places on the side.

edit: yeah not too shabby, and the reboot was just to size up more ram:

jaegerx posted:

RV life, baby! I flew over there to set up someone's office with Zoom Rooms and it was RVs down the highway as far as the eye could see.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also my dad was using MagicJack as recently as last loving year, I made him port the number into Google Voice and bought him one of these https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi200-Adapter-Support-Service/dp/B07FCS1NGM/

Does what it says on the tin, lets you use Google Voice with an analog land line phone. If you don't need many features, those will work for 4 people and don't have any ongoing monthly costs. You could make the Google Voice ring the office phones and cell phones at the same time if the employees want the option of which to pick up on. Google Voice does have some of the best spam avoidance in my experience, better than any of the actual phone carriers.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

RV life, baby! I flew over there to set up someone's office with Zoom Rooms and it was RVs down the highway as far as the eye could see.

I want to disbelieve you but I bet you're probably right.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

jaegerx posted:

You'll have to, and then commute.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2017/06/23/city-to-crack-down-on-el-camino-rvs

Or see for yourself on street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4345686,-122.157038,3a,75y,236.39h,77.08t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sizO32YDTiPRoBEWKgEYXrg!2e0

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I don’t know what it is with DVR systems, but for sending video quality that looks like poo poo, it sure sucks up bandwidth. If someone views cameras at another site, it can easily take 9mbps out of a 10mbps link. Meanwhile two video conference units can talk at 1080p for around 2.

The few systems I messed all used MPEG-2 which isn't nearly as efficient as more modern streaming options

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

Why would you disbelieve him? In an area where $700k might, MIGHT, get you an 800 square foot shack, maybe, what's surprising about people getting an RV and parking it on the street?

It's become a real problem, because even in cities that are trying to be kind and considerate of the fact that people can't loving afford houses, it's still a huge logistics problem and a bit of a public health issue in terms of sewage. Mountain View has been better than most, as in it doesn't immediately ticket and kick RVs out of the city, but even in Mountain View there are huge fights about what to do because the RVs do end up taking up space, having sewage leaks, and so on. And since its neighboring cities are basically not willing to deal with it, Mountain View gets all the RVs and homeless people.

Palo Alto of course, other than a stretch of El Camino Real, wouldn't be caught dead allowing "those people" to hove their poorboxes into view of the job creators - the police also have standing orders to tell homeless people to get lost. And compared to Los Altos or, <spit>, Atherton, Palo Alto is the GOOD one. Sidenote - Atherton's streets have to be seen to be believed, as in I have never been somewhere that so strongly indicated just by its design that if I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing there I should get the gently caress out. The streets are relatively narrow, one lane in many places, (more room for Larry's mansion) and the street names are on little stone posts about a foot high, as in there are no normal street signs and certainly no lighting. You either know where you're going because you live there, or gently caress you, get out before we call the cops because you had the utter gall to drive around in your non-Enrique-piloted-mobile stinking up the streets with your less-than-$900k annual salary. Also presumably everyone there uses helicopters so the streets aren't important.

Anyway point is, there isn't enough housing, no one wants to build more, everyone refuses to allow the only real increase-density option of building up, and everyone then throws up their hands and wonders how we got into this situation where a one bedroom condo is $650k. The answer is no one has the loving balls to spend the money and tell the NIMBYs to shut it (same poo poo that happened with the high speed rail project, they aimed small, kept cutting and cutting, didn't want to offend anyone, and then claimed it was going to be a pile of poo poo - yeah, no poo poo, morons, you didn't plan for a moonshot you planned for basically a west coast Acela and then were surprised it was trash). The other answer is there's no overall organization that can design the area - one of the ironies of American democracy is you get all these fiefdoms that are gonna do things their loving way thank you very much - work together? Nah get lost. Which is why BART isn't actually what it should be because it doesn't ring the Bay - San Mateo County in the 1970s didn't want it going through there, mostly because it would attract the wrong people of course, and they were able to block it. Whereas an area with an overarching metropolitan transit authority would have said "that's nice, here's your eminent domain check, toot toot motherfuckers". So a forward thinking design that would have at least equaled the other world-class public transit systems got kneecapped. It's a pretty good system where it exists, but if you're down on the Peninsula you get Caltrain (50 mph when they're not going 20 to minimize suicide clusters), so getting anywhere and back is basically hopeless. They're now FINALLY extending BART to San Jose on the east side. At a cost for the last 2 miles of a cool couple billion. Still doesn't ring the loving Bay.

And the kicker to all the housing mess, the very best part, is that Californian houses are poo poo. They are utter, absolutely garbage. A very small percentage of them are pre-1940 - other than having the same issues as most pre-1940 houses, like not being designed with modern seismic-protection knowledge, those are actually somewhat OK. Most CA houses, however, were slapped up either in the post-war boom or the 80s boom, by developers who (natch) did the absolute worst and cheapest job possible, and the problem is, unlike most other places in the country, the weather here is nice enough that "cheapest job possible" can be extremely cheap indeed. I usually describe California houses as wooden tents, because that's precisely what they are. And THIS is the housing stock you're paying $1mil plus for anywhere near FB HQ. Great stuff.

Hm yes sometimes I guess my avatar fits.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CloFan posted:

Speaking of phone systems, we're about to deploy 3CX to replace a garbage Toshiba system for 150 users. Using that sweet stimulus money!

They school I left in March went on partial furlough today until July, it really sucks for an already-lean staff to be reduced to 16 hours a week during peak project time.

3CX is good, just stick religiously to the supported handsets rather than trying to fudge your own provisioning templates together. Trying to wean people off the Avaya IP Office mindset where you can have a button created that pretty much does anything you can think of can be quite tricky, but the decent quality of the mobile apps and the browser client go a long way to helping people make the move.

I wasn't a fan back in the v11 days when they kept changing their mind on what the supported handset models were going to be, but now we're on v16 or whatever it is and it has a load of public cloud deployment options as well as a virtual appliance and it's dirt cheap, I can't really find fault with it. It's never broken for us, and I've never had to get support involved with anything.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 21, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Woohoo, new positions just got approved to double my team size. I'll have more time to shitpost, finally.

I think I still have my dual citizenship from my dad being born in ontario and me living there for 5 years and I'm about to ready get out of this hell hole of a country. Is it cold all the time where you are or just most of the time??

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm being surprised with "Hey pick out your dell laptop for the next 4 yrs and you need to tell me what you want by the end of the day..." What is the current hotness for dell business laptops these days?

edit: Never mind my options are a 5540 or a 7540 with a 4 core proc and 64GB of memory... I'll go hang out in the more poo poo that pisses me off thread now.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 21, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
XPS 13 or 15

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My gripe with the XPS is that the Killer wireless cards are absolute dogshit, I've no idea why they don't give up and put Intel cards in

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

My gripe with the XPS is that the Killer wireless cards are absolute dogshit, I've no idea why they don't give up and put Intel cards in

Ax killer NICs are rebranded intel ax200....and rivet networks(owner of killernic) has just been bought by Intel so....they gave up by proxy?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The provost of the University released a message this week to the effect that if classes don't run this fall and we lose all that tuition money then it's extremely likely that we will be in "extreme financial jeopardy" and that payroll is the biggest expense at the university. I'm hoping that if cuts are made then IT would be the last ones to go. Hell we're already all hands on deck trying to get classrooms set up for the fall in such a way that they can't be socially distant and also capable of being online enabled.

Feeling really stressed this week as a result :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
God I hate how any rear end in a top hat with a hundred dollars can file a lawsuit and tie up any kind of improvement for decades.

Like when the Kmart closed here, Home Depot bought it. The local hardware stores I’ve mostly never heard of riled up the Karens and got it blocked.

It’s still a vacant lot with a big box store corpse sitting on top of it 15 years later. Thanks guys that’s so much better than anything changing at all.

Then there’s the whole 710 debacle.

Seems like every major city has this petit-oligarchy that opposes any and every project because we’re supposed to guarantee their property values will only go up. I guess that’s how it goes when money equals speech and property rights apparently extend to “anything vaguely in the area of my property”.

Sometimes I get just a tiny bit envious of the Chinese. If they want to build something, pack your poo poo and get out because it’s happening no matter what the hell you say.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mattfl posted:

I think I still have my dual citizenship from my dad being born in ontario and me living there for 5 years and I'm about to ready get out of this hell hole of a country. Is it cold all the time where you are or just most of the time??

Southwest BC and the coast isn't a frozen wasteland like the rest of Canada, it's quite nice here and very green with warm beaches :) You should definitely escape up here haha

Heffer
May 1, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Sometimes I get just a tiny bit envious of the Chinese. If they want to build something, pack your poo poo and get out because it’s happening no matter what the hell you say.

Look up Nail Houses. Not even China is immune. https://www.businessinsider.com/what-are-chinese-nail-houses-2016-8?amp

I assume they have political connections that give them coverage but that's just an assumption.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Southwest BC and the coast isn't a frozen wasteland like the rest of Canada, it's quite nice here and very green with warm beaches :) You should definitely escape up here haha

I really want to move to BC at some point... :sigh:. Vancouver's overpriced but really the whole area seemed great when I spent a week there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My wife has been saying she wants to move out of state for a couple years now and I want to move as little south and east as possible.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

The few systems I messed all used MPEG-2 which isn't nearly as efficient as more modern streaming options

For the most part CCTV skipped over MPEG-2. MJPEG was used for a long while because it's fairly easy to encode and decode from a processing perspective. It also can have some latency advantages for some applications. The industry switched over to MPEG-4 because hardware based encoding became available. So the encoding could be done on the capture card. It made for an expensive capture card but the storage savings were significant enough to make that a reasonable option for some people. MPEG-4 was also much more attractive because the patent agreements for it were much more straightforward and had way more options in terms of flat fee options. MPEG-2's licencing stuff is built much more around broadcasters and thinking in terms of having control of video copies. So for internal recording and streaming remotely they wanted to charge in the same way PPV streams were charged if you were streaming video to remote clients. Thankfully for exporting video in MPEG-2 for export was treated like DVD burning software. So licencing fees could either be a big check or smaller ones per copy sold. Which is one reason you saw some companies working with capture cards have DVD export go through Windows. It was less work to implement and you could skip fees all together. The only DVRs that stored in MPEG-2 were things like Tivo or other devices focused on recording TV shows.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

lol my boss keeps hinting at moving me from flyover to CA. thank you for reminding me how much it sucks.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokenbrownguy posted:

lol my boss keeps hinting at moving me from flyover to CA. thank you for reminding me how much it sucks.

I mean all that said, there's also something to be said for the outdoors feeling just like the indoors in terms of climate. Generally not having to do any preparation to walk outdoors no matter what time of year is a luxury you don't even realize you needed until you wander outside in your bathrobe and slippers at 2 AM to get the mail and you don't freeze to death, or you go out in the middle of the day and don't burn to death. And for me personally, the sun is the topper - the Pacific Northwest has a similar climate for a lot of the year, but I could not live with the loving grayness.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am very glad that my brother lives in LA and loves it because I can visit whenever, but I absolutely 100% could never live there and that's pretty much the entirety of my opinion on CA.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you've never felt your nostrils freeze shut

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

lol if you've never felt your nostrils freeze shut

my alma mater

https://twitter.com/uafairbanks/status/1215356303448559616

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea y'alls hockey intros are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9cYcRotufU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vargatron posted:

The provost of the University released a message this week to the effect that if classes don't run this fall and we lose all that tuition money then it's extremely likely that we will be in "extreme financial jeopardy" and that payroll is the biggest expense at the university. I'm hoping that if cuts are made then IT would be the last ones to go. Hell we're already all hands on deck trying to get classrooms set up for the fall in such a way that they can't be socially distant and also capable of being online enabled.

Feeling really stressed this week as a result :(

If there's any hope of getting any tuition money with online classes, they're gonna need IT.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FISHMANPET posted:

If there's any hope of getting any tuition money with online classes, they're gonna need IT.

Yeah that is true. My group is understaffed as it is. I'm champing at the bit to get back to campus in person, but there's a lot of considerations to be made and the absolute earliest is going to be mid June to July for us.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I mean all that said, there's also something to be said for the outdoors feeling just like the indoors in terms of climate. Generally not having to do any preparation to walk outdoors no matter what time of year is a luxury you don't even realize you needed until you wander outside in your bathrobe and slippers at 2 AM to get the mail and you don't freeze to death, or you go out in the middle of the day and don't burn to death. And for me personally, the sun is the topper - the Pacific Northwest has a similar climate for a lot of the year, but I could not live with the loving grayness.

Things I love about SF:
The fact that "long pants and a hoodie" will be perfect clothing 95% of the time
That majority of other tech companies are here so at some point "hey look we can just swing by instead of hashing this out over support tickets", esp for early-stage companies. When we were evaluating Vault, Hashicorp came to our office since it was literally 3 blocks away.
Wonderfully varied nature.

Things I hate about SF:
Hearing people talking about their loving bitcoin startups at the bar.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

This other company just fizz buzzed me. gently caress I hate looking for a job

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

jaegerx posted:

This other company just fizz buzzed me. gently caress I hate looking for a job

https://aphyr.com/tags/Interviews

Take some inspiration from these posts. Your life will improve immensely. Og én til javanissen!

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 22, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Og én til javanissen!

:laffo:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sure, but what's this temperature in Fahrenheit??

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CPColin posted:

It's impossible to know.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CPColin posted:

Quick shortcut, double a C reading and add thirty. It's gets you pretty close to the right Freedom Degree. So -40x2=-80+30=-50.

The actual value is multiply the (Cx9/5)+32 but that shorthand gets you close enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Quick shortcut, double a C reading and add thirty. It's gets you pretty close to the right Freedom Degree. So -40x2=-80+30=-50.

The actual value is multiply the (Cx9/5)+32 but that shorthand gets you close enough.

-40 is the same in both F and C, it’s a joke

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

Seconding O365 if it's just 4 phones, also Zoom I think has a VoiP phone thing too. I rolled my own PBX years back with Polycom VVX phones and FreePBX and Twilio trunking and it's been going strong for 650 users with like a 2 year uptime on the AWS instance I made, but that's probably all a bit much for 4 people. If you teach yourself how to do it though, you can sell those abilities to lots of other places on the side.

edit: yeah not too shabby, and the reboot was just to size up more ram:

Uh, there have definitely been some important patches in that time period that you should have which require a reboot to install.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Uh, there have definitely been some important patches in that time period that you should have which require a reboot to install.

Nah, I use security groups in AWS so that only our whitelisted office IPs can communicate with the PBX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Nah, I use security groups in AWS so that only our whitelisted office IPs can communicate with the PBX.

lol okay