Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Server meshing will fix that.

Main menu development is hard. CIG started off as just a pack mule in the Alps with CR riding on her back programming Star Citizen on a TI-84... yesterday. I mean the game has only been in development for like 1 day officially now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

The Titanic posted:

Main menu development is hard. CIG started off as just a pack mule in the Alps with CR riding on her back programming Star Citizen on a TI-84... yesterday. I mean the game has only been in development for like 1 day officially now.

Early days.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

jarlywarly posted:

How long before goons/refundians are accused of DDOS?

What you didn't get the memo? We each sent .005 Bitcoins to EuroDDOS.warez.sos last week just for this event.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh shoot!

I got in! I'm at the character creation screen!

Nothing is clickable! What am I missing?!??

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

Oh shoot!

I got in! I'm at the character creation screen!

Nothing is clickable! What am I missing?!??

Nothing, that's it, that's the game

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Nothing, that's it, that's the game

gently caress.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Take care of yourself Bumble He!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Chris Roberts is behind a Wizard of Oz curtain, flipping the servers on and off to create the illusion of gamers overcrowding the already strained servers. There is a knob on his left that controls the number of Javelins left for sale. He cranks it to the left and whooops they're all sold out, you should have impulse bought one when you had the chance. He cranks the knob to the right and wow it looks like he found more in the back time for a second wave of Javelins, get em while they're hot.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So here is my gameplay of Star Citizen!

After an hour of waiting in multiple queues, I got in to the main menu. Here I could launch stuff and options. Not wanting to do anything rash, I just immediately clicked on "Universe".

This is my gameplay experience:

Nothing could be interacted with. No buttons were clickable. The escape key did not work to move me back to the other menu.

I had to control-alt-delete to kill it with the task manager.

I was really excited to see what "first head" had in store for that level, but I couldn't get there yet. Apparently I'm not that great of a gamer.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Holy poo poo

:homebrew::shepspends:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

Holy poo poo

I hope their justification for the price increase between the ships is that the bigger ships take more digital paint to paint fully.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Holy poo poo

lmao I love it. Wasn't paint supposed to be free at some point

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Gotta squeeze ever last goddamn penny from the backers

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Nothing could be interacted with. No buttons were clickable. The escape key did not work to move me back to the other menu.

What was the key combo you used in Line of Defense?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished updating, see you all in the verse queue!

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lmao a queue for the main menu

SC fans must be super mad about that, given how much commandos bashed elite dangerous for not having an offline mode 6 years ago

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I was really excited to see what "first head" had in store for that level, but I couldn't get there yet. Apparently I'm not that great of a gamer.

Whelp, I got through the queue almost immediately and then had this exact experience. Could not click on anything or do anything with my keyboard except open the console. Had to kill the process.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The sub says:

quote:

PSA TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS AT THE CHARACTER CREATION SCREEN WITH THE LATEST PATCH: SWITCH TO WINDOWED MODE

Submitted 4 minutes ago by well_honk_my_hootersanvil

I and several orgmates had this problem after downloading 3.9.1. Going to options/graphics and turning Full screen to Off before going into character creation seems to fix it. After doing this, go to character creation, it'll still be unresponsive for a few seconds and then start working again. After you get into the game you can go back to fullscreen.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Quavers posted:

only 2 of the top 12 SC streamers right now are actually in-game, the rest are queuing or have given up :laffo:

How many of these people are obliged to wait in a never ending queue because they were paid to stream during Idiot Fleet Week

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It also says

quote:

Isn't amazing that the only thing [working] is the payment processor on cig's sale page?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

disclaimer: off topic

girls and boys i just had one of the weirdest evenings in my life.
i spare you the details.

but please pray for me and i promise i will pray for you

But did the yogurt manage to properly spread the flavor of the bleu cheese?

(praying for you, hope you are fine)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Ok.

So I'm gonna say this then I guess.

The "game" has like an over 90% failure rate to load the main menu.

Bare :iiasb: in mind also that this isn't just a "relaunch the game until it works" kind of thing, it's a sit there for 5-minutes or more kind of thing before you have the opportunity to try again with an all new timer.

When you do get in, if you do, you get the main menu, which seems colorful and pretty. You're now thinking "oh shoot I made it! I can finally see what everybody is talking about!!"

But your actually wrong here, kind of.

See, you think you are about to experience the poo poo show everybody is talking about and see the jank and comical space shenanigans at last...

But you're wrong.

But you're also right.

See, you're actually already knee deep in the jank and you don't even realize it.

You get to the character creation screen... wow! Looks not half bad! You click something.

You click again.

You click all the buttons.

You click the menu options.

You start hitting every key on the keyboard.

You even plug in an Xbox controller thinking maybe that will work.

No. You just sit there, helplessly looking at a breathing white guy in full fidelity.

Your only option is to control alt delete the game and force quit the process.

You have experienced Star Citizen. The jank was everywhere around you the whole time.

I don't know how anybody... anybody... can imagine this will someday be an amazing mmo with thousands of players interacting seamlessly in a highly detailed world with the fidelity and physicalized interactions on par with a recent Rockstar release.

You're a loving idiot if you do.

This is a train wreck where they prioritized graphics over everything, including basic functionality like "a menu that works and you can get through it".

If you spend money on this, you're a huge loving idiot and I hope you spend a lot because you don't deserve to have it.

gently caress CIG for making this and acting like it's anything but a piece of poo poo software tech demo that's so heavily in development it should not be seen by anybody right now.

Further gently caress CIG for working on this for nearly a decade and waving this around like its some kind of accomplishment. You guys are literally the most incompetent team of developers anywhere. If this is your first job out of school, find another job, literally loving anywhere. I almost guarantee you are not learning anything that will help you later. You guys sitting there on stack overflow all day long are wasting your time, and I loving know that's exactly what you're doing because none of this looks like a competent developer did anything with it.

You dressed up a piece of poo poo in a pretty dress and convinced a bunch of loving idiots to blow money on your product. If you're not involved in getting that money for your Porsche, you're going to feel bad later in life for working on something that is literally a mechanism to extract money from people via lies and false pretenses.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tak posted:

Lmao a queue for the main menu

SC fans must be super mad about that, given how much commandos bashed elite dangerous for not having an offline mode 6 years ago

Remember that the main menu in SC is actually the root of their "megamap" system. So you're technically in the game as soon as you see the menu.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

What was the key combo you used in Line of Defense?

Control-alt-delete.

This poo poo is literally no better than the worst crap Derek smart could produce. Only it looks better, and plays worse.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

The sub says:

Trying this now and it does not appear to help at all. Going to let it sit at this screen a while and see if it magically starts working.

Edit: It did not. Tried out Star Marine and was greeted with menus that seemed like they were supposed to contain options I could click on, like loadouts, but were empty. I was able to click find match which then took me to a dialog box that said looking for match but gave me no information and never did anything. Attempting to click cancel was unsuccessful so I had to kill the process again. Went back in and tried Arena Commander, which had lots of ships that I couldn't rent because I didn't have any money I guess? I was able to finally load up one of the scenarios for that which started me in a ship with a windshield that gave me visibility through about 40% of my computer screen and proceeded to be blown up almost immediately while having no idea what I was doing. Turning the ship and shooting the gun was about all I could figure out how to do. The ship turned like dog poo poo. Don't feel like looking through the keybindings to try and figure out how to fly so I can dogfight or whatever.

The Super-Id fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 23, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Behold the mighty Idris!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Super-Id posted:

Trying this now and it does not appear to help at all. Going to let it sit at this screen a while and see if it magically starts working.

Oh yes, the sub is claiming that will work too now. 15 minute wait. Maybe there is a queue for each limb?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

So here is my gameplay of Star Citizen!

After an hour of waiting in multiple queues, I got in to the main menu. Here I could launch stuff and options. Not wanting to do anything rash, I just immediately clicked on "Universe".

This is my gameplay experience:

Lol, you newb! You waste of naval steel. I bet you didn't press ^

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Limb queue confirmed

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Blink and you'll miss it, but the Polaris and 890j are on sa-

And they're gone.

how long were they up for? do they ever post any data / stats on units sold? just curious... assuming all these folks with cash or ccs in hand are just spamming f5 for their chance to get ships that won't come around again until next year?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

This is just your negative opinion, why state it as fact? You have no way to know how much longer it will take because you don't know how much has been done and not revealed. Why not give your constant angst a rest and go play something else for a while? If the guy wants to support the project, why do you have be the damp rag? It's not his issues you need to concern yourself with, it's yours you need to worry about.

Wah wah.. I'm not happy. I don't like it. I don't want anybody else to be happy with it! Does that not strike you as a little concerning? Do you think perhaps you might be the one who needs therapy?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quavers posted:

Holy poo poo

Macrotransactions are the new microtransactions.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Last King posted:

how long were they up for? do they ever post any data / stats on units sold? just curious... assuming all these folks with cash or ccs in hand are just spamming f5 for their chance to get ships that won't come around again until next year?

I saw people a few weeks ago complaining that there are bots that snap up capital ships as soon as they go on sale

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Good stuff, would pay $300 million again.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I see what you did there.

Shhh you, we know you are only downloading this 'game' to see dick pick in the window screen.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

sebmojo posted:

I'm gong to install it with an open mind and an open heart :shobon:

You also will need an open admin account and open virus protections.

And wallet.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I saw people a few weeks ago complaining that there are bots that snap up capital ships as soon as they go on sale

good lord... is the resale black market (ebay, etc.) really that big for this game?!

also, i think i had asked before but is goonrathi (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/FLJK/members) still around and kicking?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Shhh you, we know you are only downloading this 'game' to see dick pick in the window screen.

That would have been an improvement over my Twitter feed or discord.

Oh wait-

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Strangler 42 posted:

There are currently 80 people ahead of you in the queue, please feel free to wait in the gift shop for an hour.

That's just CIG making sure people practice social distancing in these crobearvit-19 times.

Stay in line for the verse, stay safe :iiasb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bumble He posted:

disclaimer: off topic

girls and boys i just had one of the weirdest evenings in my life.
i spare you the details.

but please pray for me and i promise i will pray for you

Good God, you did not try the Lesnick Challenge and watch Wing Commander movie did you?

The only thing that can help you now is American Satan.