Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If this week's episode doesn't bump Sofia up on the weeky poll, nothing will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kind of disappointed we didn't get to see a scene with Mary or Maria, even if the plot kind of demanded that.

Not as disappointed as Mary is, I'm sure!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The two guys in the crowd of Nicole swooners were a nice touch.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I figured out how the plot was going to be resolved partway through Keith's scene but Fatarina made up for it. And everything about Nicol continues to own.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like how the anime's handling Nicol - he's kind of a total nonentity in the book/manga IIRC but the anime's gotten a lot of mileage out of mining that for comedy IMO.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
That loving wall-slam.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really like how the anime's handling Nicol - he's kind of a total nonentity in the book/manga IIRC but the anime's gotten a lot of mileage out of mining that for comedy IMO.

Nicol's character is basically the bishiest bishi who's ever bishied, which means the anime has an advantage because we get scenes like Catarina's brain locking up or him being chased by a mob of mobs.

EDIT: When the gently caress did I learn all this anime terminology? I didn't even start paying attention to it until a couple years ago.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I don't know how this anime is doing it but it made the "dumb character who likes eating everything" archetype great again.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Mary once again proves she’s the best character in the show barring Katarina. She had me laughing this entire episode, especially when she saw Alan’s desire for like a second and then immediately snapped the book shut.

Btw, there is a post-credits scene between Katarina and Alan which is really good and made my heart go doki doki. All the Katarina ships are far too strong.

Also, Gerold really wants to gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mary and Maria holding up the sweets and tea right as they mention them was a fantastic little gag

Alchem
Oct 28, 2007

I have to find her!
Mary just can't handle it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alchem posted:

Mary just can't handle it.

I just found out there's little after-credits jokes in the broadcast version.

https://streamable.com/2vootb

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I believe in you, Mary! Make yourself number one!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/hamehura/status/1264241572859666437

Also there is a short crossover comic with Arte which is also airing this season just cause both series have characters named Katarina - https://mangadex.org/title/49207/hamefura-x-arte

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This episode was extremely good, please just keep doing filler like this forever.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Decided to give volume 1 of the LN a shot. Is it just me, or is the writing style a bit... plain? So far the way the story is told seems to be "This happened. And then this happened. And then this happened. I felt this way about it.", without much regard for detail or the current narrator's personality. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased because I know what's going to happen at least until partway through volume 2, so I'm looking for additional details from a story I'm already familiar with. That, or I've been spoiled by Spice and Wolf.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mary and Keith should team up to form the keep everyone else away from Katarina alliance.

Also poor dumb Alan. Put him back in the top 10, anime watchers.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 24, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Unit24 posted:

Decided to give volume 1 of the LN a shot. Is it just me, or is the writing style a bit... plain? So far the way the story is told seems to be "This happened. And then this happened. And then this happened. I felt this way about it.", without much regard for detail or the current narrator's personality. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased because I know what's going to happen at least until partway through volume 2, so I'm looking for additional details from a story I'm already familiar with. That, or I've been spoiled by Spice and Wolf.

Light Novels don't exactly have the highest prose unfortunately. It's why I just see most of them as manga bubble conversations, only without the pictures.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This filler episode was amazing. I'm just gonna take it as canon now that Nicol thinks of himself, at least just a little bit, as the Devilish Count.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He was straight up Tuxedo Mask this ep.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jimmydalad posted:

Mary once again proves she’s the best character in the show barring Katarina.

Yeah, Mary's definitely up there for being the most protagonist-y of the protagonists :allears: Pity she isn't in a more romance-focused manga/show, I'd love to see a romantic lead be so proactive. Nicol's hidden 'dark side' was also good for a laugh too.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shyrka posted:

That loving wall-slam.

:hai:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

chumbler posted:

Also poor dumb Alan. Put him back in the top 10, anime watchers.

Alan's probably gonna be near the top after this week, his scenes were really sweet.

It's the mark of a good harem that all of the rivals can be rooted for and get good set-ups for their relationships. I think Geordo is the only one who needs to give people a reason to root for him and we need more Maria!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Geord was always going to be hard to root for given that he has a built-in advantage of being actually engaged for a dumb reason, but having the most possessive and kinda creepy personality of the harem doesn't help matters much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting for the reveal that Geord is actually a nice guy. Just extremely socially awkward.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Can't believe they made us watch Mary and Maria get NTR'd for 8 minutes straight. loving brutal. I'm happy Alan finally got his little moment with Katarina after being denied, though.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Mary's desu wa levels were off the charts this ep

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm not really sure why they needed an anime only filler when they could've just spent a little more time with the earlier chapters with Catarina before magic school. Oh well.

Strong showing from Mary this episode, her only real competitor being Sophia with the full kabedon. Good job Mary and Sophia.

Also, cursed image:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This new stuff is way better than more child episodes would've been, in this gamer's opinion.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Agronox posted:

I'm not really sure why they needed an anime only filler when they could've just spent a little more time with the earlier chapters with Catarina before magic school. Oh well.

Strong showing from Mary this episode, her only real competitor being Sophia with the full kabedon. Good job Mary and Sophia.

Also, cursed image:

"No my sweets!"

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Geord was always going to be hard to root for given that he has a built-in advantage of being actually engaged for a dumb reason, but having the most possessive and kinda creepy personality of the harem doesn't help matters much.

He doesent realise it but he actually will have the hardest time with Bakarina since in her head Geord is the biggest death flag around her. She is so concerned about it that she carries a snake in her pocket just to avoid that bad ending.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I kinda like that Geordo's thing is he wants to gently caress. It's very blunt, usually in anime sexual desire is a big no no and just vague "gosh gee whizz" will they won't they crap.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Earth Bump is such an amazing name for an ability.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I love that Bakarina is obsessed with trivial details like Earth Bump and toy snakes, but also manages to get ludicrous amounts of utility out of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rand Brittain posted:

I love that Bakarina is obsessed with trivial details like Earth Bump and toy snakes, but also manages to get ludicrous amounts of utility out of them.

There's gotta be some other universe where her otaku past self managed to play through MGS5 using the water pistol.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's like Bruce Lee said, you should fear the girl who's practiced Earth Bump ten thousand times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sindai posted:

It's like Bruce Lee said, you should fear the girl who's practiced Earth Bump ten thousand times.

Wait, does Katarina live on the exact opposite side of the Earth from Blackburn, Lancashire?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It's funny that Mary was willing to let go of her fiance in the good (for Maria) Fortune Lover ending, but in this alternate version she's become rather possessive, target focused and unrelenting in her romantic pursuits.
Bakarina is a lot more charming than Alan, apparently.