Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's the Grom early mid-game army composition? I'm running with something like 6 gobbos, 4 gobbo archers, 4 shulkers and some combination of trolls and catapults, with occasional troll hag hero when available. Gobbos are resilient little bastards, especially with scrap armour upgrade.
Also what upgrades you use? I get armour, heavy arrows, and quicker reload on catapults. Didn't get troll ones yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That clanrat thing has come up twice now and I just wanted to mention you as a human can absolutely summon a second unit of clanrats fast enough that the first hasn't disintegrated. I did it yesterday, more than once. The AI probably spams them while humans use them judiciously, but it's not a cheat. It's just hitting the button as often as possible.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

alex314 posted:

What's the Grom early mid-game army composition? I'm running with something like 6 gobbos, 4 gobbo archers, 4 shulkers and some combination of trolls and catapults, with occasional troll hag hero when available. Gobbos are resilient little bastards, especially with scrap armour upgrade.
Also what upgrades you use? I get armour, heavy arrows, and quicker reload on catapults. Didn't get troll ones yet.

Regenerating goblins with buffs + trolls will last you a long time

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Regenerating goblins with buffs + trolls will last you a long time

Thanks. Should I add some night goblins, or just keep it cheap and simple? I also use some pump wagons, but I feel like shulkers are more useful as long as I'm not willing to micro them too much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Night goblins are more micro intensive but the fanatics wrecking ball ability is really good. It's basically 3 charges of a fairly strong damage wind you can use over the course of a battle

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i spent so long trying to kill eshin as imrik in the ME start that im like strength rank 100 and can barely support a stack. its going to be hard to dig out of this hole, the only way out of my start area is through grimgor and he's massive at this point. luckily my first dragon was an easy one, against the lizardmen. secured that dragon and lol, imrik on his dragon + 2 more dragons just steamrolls. I have so many abilities to try and remember to push.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

queeb posted:

i spent so long trying to kill eshin as imrik in the ME start that im like strength rank 100 and can barely support a stack. its going to be hard to dig out of this hole, the only way out of my start area is through grimgor and he's massive at this point. luckily my first dragon was an easy one, against the lizardmen. secured that dragon and lol, imrik on his dragon + 2 more dragons just steamrolls. I have so many abilities to try and remember to push.

Imrik's army is great but his campaign is a slog if you try to hold the badlands. Rogue army after rogue army just being assholes because you have same or lower movespeed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a cheat-sheet somewhere of who gives what mirror bonus if I put them in eltharion's prison?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlesThunder posted:

just go take an undefended settlement. they are loving everywhere.
This is categorically untrue on VH.

Cease to Hope posted:

They are, but it means playing out kicking over five units or else taking 2 turns of minimum-rate replenishment from the autoresolve casualties.

Orcs have a really frustrating early game right now, because of structural incentives to not use hordes of low-armor melee.
This too. I'm getting worn down by the tedium of Autoresolve just randomly loving a unit so I am forced to play out every single battle.

Doomykins posted:

Take a minor, use a Sack option that gives +10-15% replenishment, end turn in the city and get garrison + territory replenishment + all your replenishment skill riders. Don't want the land? Gift it to an ally. Think Region Trading is too cheesy a mod? Demolish everything you can and let it burn to the rebels. They can't all be "Raise Dead, lol" but the replenishment for a heavy offensive army can get the job done.
As I said in my post, I dont want to take a minor. I shouldnt have to. What if the minor has a full stack in it and a defense building? Or even if it only has a defense building that means another tedious wall assault that guarantees I take horrific casualties because the loving wall towers can shoot farther than the map is deep, so I cannot protect any units and I am forced into one specific style of play, which is super lame. If I try to go past it I just get surrounded by force-marched armies and killed by the one AI army that doesnt need to force march to initiate the battle. Also I have never seen more than maybe 6 or 7 % replenishment for sacking as Greenskins, which never tops my units off, especially if it was a tough fight for whatever reason.

I'm also fed up with mods being the answer. These are issues that have been apparent for a while that should be fixed in the base game. I like doing coop with friends but trying to do it modded is a huge loving headache so I would really like it if the base game would not designed and built to be for gun lines.

edit: Looking back, I'm not really *that* ticked off here, but I think I have gotten to the point that I have played the game enough that the flaws are starting to annoy me to the point that I just need to put it down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 25, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If they do decide to include ogres, I am genuinely curious how they are going to handle the obvious problem of ogres fighting an anti large army. There’s just no way around the fact that eventually you are going to have to deal with a wall of spears, and lovely gnoblar are not going to be a fun way around it.

You flood it with gnoblars then smash. That's fun!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Knights of Origo and Estalia keep sending multiple full stacks of tier one to that little bay near Sartosa because my admiral and his wife (they've earned the same surname) pissed them all off. I have the most powerful slave economy. I had 100k in the bank at one point because I just keep the admiral in the bay lurking and the army on land looking threatening. Keep sending those boys, I've got lots of work for them!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Feels weird having regular goblins being way tougher and killier than orc boys, but hooo boy do I like that upkeep.
Almost makes me feel bad for da boyz, dey need some shiney new gubbinz.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Earl Chestnuts posted:

that'd would actually make +% ammo upgrades actually feel meaningful.

The only unit in my Vamp Coast campaign that can even use all of its ammo in a single battle is Queen Bess.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I like the idea in that it very simply reduces the strategic value of ranged units relative to melee units while not changing tactical balance in a major way. (I also think that should be changed but it's harder to do simply). Not sure how to make the math break down in terms of how fast you regenerate ammo but I feel like there's something a decent mod could do.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Just finished an Imrik ME long campaign as the Chaos invasion started. Pretty much began the campaign by getting the minor settlements in my starter province, suing for peace with the dwarves and then going after Hag Reef for those delicious ports. By the time I finished Hag Reef, Ishin (or whoever that rodent lord near your start is) was nearly done with the orcs, so I could just swoop in and get their lands for free too.

And then I got to the badlands... I do not enjoy the badlands. Some difficult fights with Grimgor since he confederated all of the orcs, but the main issue was all the rogue armies and horrible landscape making things take forever. I was just a few turns away from the end by the time I finally crushed all opposition there (had to take a horrible detour to the southeastern corner because Queek had a single settlement there and kept trying to attack me anyway). Reikland and Kazak-Ar had made a massive blob, and Settra was about to be eaten by one of the human factions as well, while Ulthuan was pretty much untouched.

As for Imrik himself, busted as hell once you have a few dragons. Dragon princes are also fantastic and ended up with an army of just those and dragons for Imrik. :allears:

What a slog of a campaign though, dealing with the badlands makes you feel like you need a shower afterwards.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This Markus Wulfhart campaign is wild as gently caress. I'm beset on every gotdamn side - lizards, rats, vamps, and greenskins. every turn is a valiant defeat or heroic victory by poor chaff armies of t1 spearmen and handgunners made for the sole purpose of softening up whatever chungus doomstack shows up next. Markus plays clean-up, barks his name, and we repeat

Eventually I'm gonna be worn down by osmosis vamp corruption. the bats are closing in

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 25, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheHoosier posted:

This Markus Wulfhart campaign is wild as gently caress. I'm beset on every gotdamn side - lizards, rats, vamps, and greenskins. every turn is a valiant defeat or heroic victory by poor chaff armies of t1 spearmen and handgunners made for the sole purpose of softening up whatever chungus doomstack shows up next. Markus plays clean-up, barks his name, and we repeat

Eventually I'm gonna be worn down by osmosis vamp corruption. the bats are closing in

Once you discover the secret of having two stacks with 75% handgunners and 25% spearmen you’re gonna feel so powerful. In SFO at least, I haven’t played vanilla Empire in a while.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah definitely looking forward to SFO updating. I'm jonesin'!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What does SFO do? Like what are the big changes? Whenever I try to find a changelog it's a million pages long and like

sheesh

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

jokes posted:

Once you discover the secret of having two stacks with 75% handgunners and 25% spearmen you’re gonna feel so powerful. In SFO at least, I haven’t played vanilla Empire in a while.

No, ranged heavy stacks work real well in vanilla too. My go-to dwarf army was eventually like 12-14 handgunners with some ironbreakers as defensive units and maybe a hammered as a line filler as needed.

My only comment with Markus is get some grenade launching outriders from the supplies and laugh as they get like 400 kills in your autoresolves.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Zzulu posted:

What does SFO do? Like what are the big changes? Whenever I try to find a changelog it's a million pages long and like

sheesh

That's because it does a million and a half different things. Essentially it rebalances almost every unit in the game, while completely overhauling faction mechanics for factions that don't have much love (Beastmen and WOC are good examples). Broadly speaking it messes with numbers for early game units to make them larger, while late game units are smaller but with much larger stats, gives some units new abilities, and also adds units to factions based on perceived gaps in their rosters.
It does a lot. Once it's updated I recommend just playing it to get a look at new features for whatever faction.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In SP, every faction except Counts can basically be summed up as "get just enough infantry to screen your ranged and then mass the gently caress out of that". Which is a shame.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i just lost my imrik ME campaign, holy gently caress grimgor was at like 25 settlements, soon as i poked my head out he rolled a fuckton of waagh armies in and i couldnt keep them at bay. he was rocking 4-5 armies and i could only afford 2, imrik really lacks in trading partners for the sweet high elf cashflow.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

queeb posted:

yeah i just lost my imrik ME campaign, holy gently caress grimgor was at like 25 settlements, soon as i poked my head out he rolled a fuckton of waagh armies in and i couldnt keep them at bay. he was rocking 4-5 armies and i could only afford 2, imrik really lacks in trading partners for the sweet high elf cashflow.

this happened to me twice, so I tried just throwing influence at him to hold him off while I expanded south

it was working great for a while and then I suddenly see a notification that grimgor had been destroyed and there was a massive dwarf empire that loving hated me for being friendly with the orcs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah having just beaten a Grimgor campaign I'm glad greenskins are improved now, but now they're hilariously overtuned. Waaaghs aren't that difficult to get and once you get them you are a wrecking ball. They've also given greenskins a ton of AP options now: pumpwagons are ludicrous bullshit and scrap lets you give even trash base gobbo archers some ability to punch through armor. I'm thinking I'm going to try Dark Elves next and half of that is because they're a million miles away from greenskins who I'm kinda scared to have to fight now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I kinda wish that fighting with greenskin factions increased your relations with them because they love having a good scrap. I know it's counterintuitive but it would be funny if you kicked their rear end and they loved you for being propah dead 'ard.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know I kinda wish that fighting with greenskin factions increased your relations with them because they love having a good scrap. I know it's counterintuitive but it would be funny if you kicked their rear end and they loved you for being propah dead 'ard.

Yeah, but that wouldn't mean they'd want to stop fighting. If the fluff is anything to go by that would only drive them to try even harder to crump you.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

this happened to me twice, so I tried just throwing influence at him to hold him off while I expanded south

it was working great for a while and then I suddenly see a notification that grimgor had been destroyed and there was a massive dwarf empire that loving hated me for being friendly with the orcs

I can't tell how much is Waaagh making them unstoppable and how much is the new confederation system allowing them to just snowball territory too quickly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

In SP, every faction except Counts can basically be summed up as "get just enough infantry to screen your ranged and then mass the gently caress out of that". Which is a shame.

Both Bretonnia and Lizardmen would argue that isn't the case.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Both Bretonnia and Lizardmen would argue that isn't the case.

With Lizardmen your best ranged are giant dinosaurs so you don't even need the infantry.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Norsca and Chaos as well

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zikan posted:

Norsca and Chaos as well

Hellcannon Spam is hilarious though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Against the AI you can spam anything and be successful

I've won many battles with an all squig army just now. The AI sucks unless it got multiple stacks against you

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zzulu posted:

Against the AI you can spam anything and be successful

I've won many battles with an all squig army just now. The AI sucks unless it got multiple stacks against you

Yeah I remember winning many horrific mismatches by abusing corners and stuff

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 25, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah ranged stacking is good in campaign because it minimizes your losses, not because its the only option to win. Its iust a function of how campaign is designed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wow, I'd forgotten just how painful it is to get a lot of the real cool stuff in a Vampire Counts campaign. Yes lock it all not only behind T4/5 buildings, but also make those buildings super expensive. Seriously, most of those T5 buildings (of which there are quite a few) are goddamn 15k each.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lord Koth posted:

Wow, I'd forgotten just how painful it is to get a lot of the real cool stuff in a Vampire Counts campaign. Yes lock it all not only behind T4/5 buildings, but also make those buildings super expensive. Seriously, most of those T5 buildings (of which there are quite a few) are goddamn 15k each.

This. Your movement increasing hero, the Banshee, has its capacity gated behind T5 buildings. Playing whack the stack with the AI is already annoying, doing so without the 15% movement bonus for the first 40 or so turns is awful.

The rest I'm more or less fine with, though sending either Blood Knights or Hexknights down a tier to get some variation would be good. And unlocking Vargheists at T3 is a mistake, as they are so much more powerful than any other option, barring a few edge cases where GG's shine.

On the other hand, massing vampires is hilarious and raining hellsteeds on someone is a very good time. Also, Isabella with Sword of Khaine is the best thing ever, though the curse of Khaine referencing "a darkness on their soul" seems off.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I usually rush to get the free skellies on VC so I can just have like half a dozen free armies to cover everything. Still takes forever.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Spamming necromancers all with that stacking build cost reduction trait is the best way to build tall as vamps.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I'm not sure I would suggest spamming ranged as Bretonnia, Beastmen, WoC, Norsca, or Lizardmen. Pretty tough to do on Tomb Kings as well. You can get one super ushabti bow stack going but any more than that is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You guys realize you can just fight with thousands upon thousands of chaff skeletons and then raise dead for your elite units in the first few dozen turns, you literally never have to build a single high-end recruitment building as vampire counts and you'll still have every army with a sprinkling of random elites.

Vampire counts have access to their top troops waaaaay before any other faction can dream of getting them (besides skaven with full food)