Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My favorite use of emblems is the Shadowrush skill since it leads to sick looking deathblows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Its bullshit that they don't give you more gourd seeds for NG+. If they get tougher I should get more gourd also.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Oscar Wild posted:

Its bullshit that they don't give you more gourd seeds for NG+. If they get tougher I should get more gourd also.

I dunno, once you’re at ng+3 you’re looking at being destroyed after 2/3 hits which may come immediately after each other. Having 10 chugs isn’t really as useful as it seems anyway

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Aidan_702 posted:

I dunno, once you’re at ng+3 you’re looking at being destroyed after 2/3 hits which may come immediately after each other. Having 10 chugs isn’t really as useful as it seems anyway

I want the whole screen to be health and posture bar.

I went through most of Hirata estate and to the beginning of the castle in like an hour last night. Its amazing how much better you get at this game. Like, poo poo that was impossible is now just ordinary.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You also have a giant honking health bar and 10 gourd charges vs whatever it is you started with in NG. Obviously you get better at the game but you forget just how badly the deck is stacked against you during a normal NG run.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No Wave posted:

You also have a giant honking health bar and 10 gourd charges vs whatever it is you started with in NG. Obviously you get better at the game but you forget just how badly the deck is stacked against you during a normal NG run.

Just beat horse guy. Used 2 gourd charges. Im better.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

No Wave posted:

Yeah, to some extent that's true, but I just restarted another NG game from the very beginning and the difference is very stark. Like the first time I fought Enshin of Misen, it was a god drat disaster that took me fifteen tries and made me furious. This time I just beat him on the first run through without even thinking about it. Only four or five bosses/minibosses actually killed me for real (non-resurrection) this time around. Up until Owl (Father), who was as hard as I remembered him being from the first time around.

The difficulty in NG is actually probably a bit lower than most people estimate it to be. It seems like a lot of people just go straight on to NG+ rather than starting a new new game. I wonder how much of Sekiro's difficulty really comes from the game's combat mechanics being kind of complicated and tough to wrap your head around for a while.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 23, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Totally, the fear of just standing there and deflecting doesn't exist anymore. I know what I can tank an what windows are open. Blazed through mt Kongo and about to do the monkey puzzle. This game is very short if you know what you're doing.

Going to get the Shura ending then I'll start a NG for the lazuli upgrades and last couple endings I think.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've played the game 7 times fully and I still just run around like a crazy person looking for the monkeys. It's probably the worst encounter in the game.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
As soon as you get there use the bell to reset their positions without the cutscene monkey alerting. Then use a gachiins sugar, and kill the invisible monkey behind you.

Then grapple up and to the right and sneak up on orange monkey. Deathblow, sprint to the left after the purple monkey, chase him up to the building directly across from the start of the level. You'll catch up as soon as you grapple up to the attic after him, and since his eyesight is bad he wont realize you're there with him and be an easy kill. Go back out the way you came and grapple to the middle tree, you'll be behind the final green monkey just before your sugar wears off, kill him.

Takes less than a minute.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

My first no-charm run sort of "reset" the difficulty to where bosses could take many attempts and be scary again. Once you get good at that, it's smooth sailing.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
gently caress yes! Just beat it, after I had given it up for over a year, I've finally got my money's worth. After struggling with the last boss's final form and having long drawn out battle to get there, on my final attempt I cleared out the first 3 phases in only a few minutes, then on the last phase lighting reversed him 3 times and killed him with 6 chugs to spare! So pumped right now, time for NG+ :w00t:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stockwell posted:

gently caress yes! Just beat it, after I had given it up for over a year, I've finally got my money's worth. After struggling with the last boss's final form and having long drawn out battle to get there, on my final attempt I cleared out the first 3 phases in only a few minutes, then on the last phase lighting reversed him 3 times and killed him with 6 chugs to spare! So pumped right now, time for NG+ :w00t:

Hell yeah!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Been getting back into Sekiro recently and loving it. Also did the Shura ending recently, which made me wonder which version of Isshin people think is tougher.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I honestly had a harder time with him in his bad ending version. It's also a shame that the Emma fight is gated in the bad ending because when you hit your stride with it it's such a fun fight.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Old man is much harder to me if you've given up Kuro's Charm, getting deflects on One Mind is really hard. I also find ISS more fun because it really feels like putting things together.

RichterIX posted:

It's also a shame that the Emma fight is gated in the bad ending because when you hit your stride with it it's such a fun fight.

I wish that fight had two death markers and the next one had zero, tbh.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tirranek posted:

Been getting back into Sekiro recently and loving it. Also did the Shura ending recently, which made me wonder which version of Isshin people think is tougher.

I've only fought Shura Isshin once be he struck me as the easier of the two. His fire attacks are easy to evade and punish, and his sword attacks are very similar to SSI phase 1. I still have trouble with SSI's wild spear combos.

Shura Isshin gets style points for that barely-there sidestep + counter though. What a master.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Shura ending version, by far. A fair bit of that is probably because I did it first so I was learning his entire moveset from scratch and didn't have the powerups from the extra bosses you'd fight on the other paths, but he walled me for a long time while the other version folded in an evening or two of play.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tirranek posted:

I think ISS is slightly harder but Oldie is the more intense fight. It might be a wash since by the time you reach the end of the game Genichiro is a huge pushover whereas The Gentle Blade can really surprise you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think ISS is slightly harder but Oldie is the more intense fight. It might be a wash since by the time you reach the end of the game Genichiro is a huge pushover whereas The Gentle Blade can really surprise you.

Yeah, Gentle Blade is so much fun because once you catch on you'll rarely get hit and you can totally thrash the fight in like 2 seconds, but the first time you do it it breaks your brain for a minute.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Chakan posted:

Old man is much harder to me if you've given up Kuro's Charm, getting deflects on One Mind is really hard. I also find ISS more fun because it really feels like putting things together.

I had no idea you could deflect One Mind. I've been trying to parry more, so I'm not running away from his ichimonji's, but that's nuts. Will have to try it. Also heard that if you phantom kunai him when he's preparing the flame pillars, he won't follow it up, but I didn't have them.

Interesting answers though!

RichterIX posted:

I honestly had a harder time with him in his bad ending version. It's also a shame that the Emma fight is gated in the bad ending because when you hit your stride with it it's such a fun fight.

And yeah that's such a good fight. You can't let up or things will flip instantly. Then in the next fight there's that shifty dodge to punish rushing in. Loved it.

Also, though she's not a boss, O'Rin is one of my favourite fights in the whole game. The music, flow and general vibe of that fight is amazing.

What are your favourites?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think the only attacks I've never even bothered to learn to parry properly are Genichiro's arrow spam, his Floating Passage combo and final boss's spear combos.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Tirranek posted:

I had no idea you could deflect One Mind.
You can and its pure anime.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

temple posted:

You can and its pure anime.

It is, which is why I throw away most of my attempts at beating that boss. My controller died and I'm patiently waiting for a new one, but I really wanna work on getting that down.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

getting into a back and forth rhythm against Lady Butterfly is one of gaming's best moments

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Tirranek posted:

What are your favourites?

Genichiro was my favorite fight the first time through because it feels the most evenly matched (less applicable when you're on later runthroughs). When you're okay at the game but not really good, the fight with Genichiro has some of the coolest moments. The sword combo that knocks you back, followed by the arrow barrage is just :popeye: Owl (Father) requires a lot of precise playing and some of his attacks are pretty cheap, but it really does feel like you're fighting against an absolute master ninja. Makes you wonder what the hell happened in the three years since the Hirata Estate to make Great Shinobi Owl so unskilled in comparison to his former self. I wish he didn't Mikiri counter all your stab attacks, though, because sometimes I do a stab without thinking about it and just get instakilled.

I like the ninja at the Great Serpent Shrine who's like "oh, well if it isn't the demon himself?" when he sees you. He tries to take revenge on Wolf for killing... someone? It feels appropriate that Wolf seems to have no idea who he wants revenge for - I mean, Wolf's just killing everyone he sees in a whirlwind, eventually it's gonna have an emotional impact on somebody.

My least favorite fight is True Corrupted Monk, because the Fountainhead Palace in general and that boss arena in particular tank the frame rate on my PC in unpredictable ways no matter what settings I change, and the fight is miserable to play when the game becomes a slideshow in the middle of an enemy combo attack. I also feel like the standard attacks from the Monk are kind of too easy to deflect/avoid in comparison to the instakill terror attack that she uses in phase 3 of the fight, so you end up beating the poo poo out of the Monk for the first two lifebars only to die to instakill attacks on the third. Wasn't too hard to beat the boss, but it was no fun at all to fight it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Casey Finnigan posted:

Makes you wonder what the hell happened in the three years since the Hirata Estate to make Great Shinobi Owl so unskilled in comparison to his former self.

Isn't he near-mortally wounded when he gives you the key to get to Lady Butterfly? Chalk it up to a lingering injury.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Serpent Shrine ninja blames you for the other ninja that's been killed by the tengu in that spot the first time through. As for pops, I attributed it to the three years hitting him hard age wise but the injury makes sense too.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I thought he was talking about the lone-shadow guy in the well where you start; not sure if he still says it if you skip that guy.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Serpent Shrine ninja blames you for the other ninja that's been killed by the tengu in that spot the first time through. As for pops, I attributed it to the three years hitting him hard age wise but the injury makes sense too.

Yeah the Tengu killed that ninja, but the Lone Shadow miniboss blames you for it. That miniboss's name is Masanaga (who can be fought again in Hirata 2.0), and he calls the dead ninja Masanari, who is also alive in Hirata 2.0 (he's the one talking to Juzou).

The Lone Shadow in the starting well just says something along the lines of "I wanted to see if the story of the immortal depressed shinobi was true". If you backstab one of his health bars at the start he just calls you a bastard :v:

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Are most people playing with a controller? I'm liking it on my second play through, but found it difficult to sprint around holding B and move the camera. I fixed it by mapping sprint to L3 which also makes the mikiri counter one smooth motion :cool:

edit:

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand...

MY NAME... IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA

This genuinely might be the best line reading in the game

Skoora fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 26, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's no oooooooooOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Skoora posted:

This genuinely might be the best line reading in the game

It's even known in the Japanese fanbase:

quote:

Kuro: Wolf, follow along just like that!
Wolf: My... My na...
Kuro: That's not loud enough!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

It is, which is why I throw away most of my attempts at beating that boss. My controller died and I'm patiently waiting for a new one, but I really wanna work on getting that down.

Update: got a new controller & beat shura ending on my 5th attempt after almost two months away. Kuros charm changes that fight in particular in ways that are cool. I didn’t manage to get a full perfect deflect on One Mind, but a few times I only took chip damage once.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's even known in the Japanese fanbase:

Saw someone on Twitch reach that for the first time, once. Chat hated it, thus proving conclusively that Twitch chat has no value

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm getting close to the very end of a second run through. Gotta say, there are two straight-up awful fights in Sekiro: Demon of Hatred, and the Seven Spears Oniwa miniboss in the Ashina Reservoir at the very end of the game that has a general enemy watching his back. It's like... Why spend the whole game teaching you to be aggressive and skillfully deflect enemy attacks and then throw fights like these at the player? If you deflect all of Demon's attacks, you still take chip damage and get set on fire. If you fight Oniwa and the general at the same time, it's impossible to stand your ground and deflect the enemy attacks because they both have unblockables and they're not synchronized, so they can throw them out at the same time. There's also an inactive enemy just sitting in the corner of the Oniwa arena who only seems to be there to mess up your camera, and on top of that, Oniwa loves to just walk off a cliff halfway through the fight and force you to go back to the idol to reload him. Not much of a combat challenge, it's more like wrestling with the game engine.

First time through, I just left the Demon of Hatred alone. I might just do that again. What an annoying fight. Emma can go deal with it if she cares so much.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 28, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ninja kill the general, run away until Mr Spears unaggros, ninja stab Mr Spears and then battle. Its time consuming and you'll probably want to use a stealth sugar.

As far as the deamon, you should try not to take the chip damage. He only has a couple of attacks that really will hurt your damage bar and those are ones you have to dodge around.

Some people tank them with the umbrella but I didn't have enough emblems to make it worth while.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Ninja kill the general, run away until Mr Spears unaggros, ninja stab Mr Spears and then battle. Its time consuming and you'll probably want to use a stealth sugar.

Puppet Master ninjitsu (Or whatever) is super useful too. There is a third guy in the area, and it's really helpful to have him tank a bunch of hits while you deal with one of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah it's a puzzle boss. You aren't meant to fight the sword guy, you can backstab him by luring him away with the whistle for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Stealth backstab then puppet the general, when he dies puppet the non aggressive npc guy. Or kill the general and run away then backstab oniwa and puppet the 3rd guy. I've never had him fall off but if he's camping the edge just back off and pull him back to the middle.