Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

Yesterday I saw a guy say he was upset that there were so few remaining COVID patients in Colorado hospitals because we should've been keeping them full to build up herd immunity.

Idiots on my local reddit (redundant I know) are complaining that our state set up a bunch of field hospitals that they are now taking down because of lack of use, saying that we should be opening up stuff faster to get the economy going since we've already spent money on the hospitals and "people are all going to get it anyway".

It's hard for me to even empathize in the slightest with this level of stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bloops posted:

That’s disgusting.

Space force!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.techtransparencyproject.org/articles/white-supremacist-groups-are-thriving-on-facebook

quote:

Dozens of white supremacist groups are operating freely on Facebook, allowing them to spread their message and recruit new members, according to a Tech Transparency Project (TTP) investigation, which found the activity is continuing despite years of promises by the social network that it bans hate organizations.

TTP recently documented how online extremists, including many with white supremacist views, are using Facebook to plan for a militant uprising dubbed the “boogaloo,” as they stoke fears that coronavirus lockdowns are a sign of rising government repression. But TTP’s latest investigation reveals Facebook’s broader problems with white supremacist groups, which are using the social network’s unmatched reach to build their movement.

The findings, more than two years after Facebook hosted an event page for the deadly “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, cast doubt on the company’s claims that it’s effectively monitoring and dealing with hate groups. What’s more, Facebook’s algorithms create an echo chamber that reinforces the views of white supremacists and helps them connect with each other.

With millions of people now quarantining at home and vulnerable to ideologies that seek to exploit people’s fears and resentments about Covid-19, Facebook’s failure to remove white supremacist groups could give these organizations fertile new ground to attract followers.

[sic]

To test those claims, TTP conducted searches on Facebook for the names of 221 white supremacist organizations that have been designated as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), two leading anti-hate organizations.

The analysis found:

Of the 221 designated white supremacist organizations, more than half—51%, or 113 groups—had a presence on Facebook.

Those organizations are associated with a total of 153 Facebook Pages and four Facebook Groups. Roughly one third of the organizations (34) had two or more Pages or Groups on Facebook. Some had Pages that have been active on the platform for a decade.

Many of the white supremacist Pages identified by TTP were created by Facebook itself. Facebook auto-generated them as business pages when someone listed a white supremacist or neo-Nazi organization as their employer.

Facebook’s “Related Pages” feature often directed users visiting white supremacist Pages to other extremist or far-right content, raising concerns that the platform is contributing to radicalization.

One of Facebook’s strategies for combatting extremism—redirecting users who search for terms associated with white supremacy or hate groups to the Page for “Life After Hate,” an organization that promotes tolerance—only worked in 6% (14) of the 221 searches for white supremacist organizations.

In addition to the hate groups designated by SPLC and ADL, TTP found white supremacist organizations that Facebook had explicitly banned in the past. One known as “Right Wing Death Squad” had at least three Pages on Facebook, all created prior to Facebook’s ban.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wait are you telling me we have racist groups on Facebook? Next you'll tell me there are Nazis on Twitter!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Idiots on my local reddit (redundant I know) are complaining that our state set up a bunch of field hospitals that they are now taking down because of lack of use, saying that we should be opening up stuff faster to get the economy going since we've already spent money on the hospitals and "people are all going to get it anyway".

It's hard for me to even empathize in the slightest with this level of stupidity.

These people are always the worst because they can't seem to comprehend that this thing is literally six months old and we have no idea about the long-term health consequences for basic, mild, and severe cases. Sure, it doesn't look like it's going to be rapidly mutating monster like HIV, but there are decently-healthy people still not back to 100% after having this drat thing months ago.

I mean gently caress, we don't even know if our antibodies last long enough to even make herd immunity even a possible thing!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Midjack posted:

Wait are you telling me we have racist groups on Facebook? Next you'll tell me there are Nazis on Twitter!

Nazis on Twitter?! Surely you jest!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

stevobob posted:

Didn't Trump tout Sweden's "plan" as the gold standard some weeks back?

Woofer posted:

And all of his supporters on twitter and I’m sure they realize how wrong they were.

I have been looking into this a little lately and it's a bit of a weird topic, you could research it all day and still just have a mishmash of badly sourced articles since any timeline of Trump or right wing demagogue statements is just a Jackson Pollock of whatever random issues are bothering them that day.

From what I can gather, there was an idea doing the rounds in late march and early April that Sweden had found a third way solution that avoided onerous restrictions while still quashing the virus. It was reported by general media in a 'look at the unusual thing this clever country is trying' sort of manner and some right wingers touted it, especially because around this time Boris Johnson was in denial about the need for lockdown measures.

During April, reporting started to go negative on the Swedish model as the death toll became apparent, but it's been reported slowly by different outlets over a long the whole month, and since it hasn't been universal front page news at any one point, it's taking a little while to filter into people's consciousness.

Unfortunately I don't have twitter or the time or patience or fortitude to wade into Trump's accounts, but no one seems to have reported him touting the Swedish model from what I can tell, I think he was mostly touting bleach and Chloroquinine during that stage. During April he has used them to misdirect criticism a couple of times, around April 11th in a press conference and on April 30th in a nasty tweet that punches down for misdirection purposes:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
:psypop:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1265039451488739330?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stevobob posted:

Didn't Trump tout Sweden's "plan" as the gold standard some weeks back?

It’s Ritz–Carlton gold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its okay, the MAGA guys know what to do:

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1264993857613164544?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DO IT COWARDS

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone rescue that cat

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

drat I am so loving triggered right now. Literally shaking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The cat can eat his face after he dies of blood loss from shooting a a hole in his crotch.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Everything in Trump’s tweet is now canon so who loving cares what actually happened. I’m fatigued from the “well, actually....” crowd and would like more work from the “we are actually doing something about it” crowd.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Midjack posted:

DO IT COWARDS

... why?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Because it triggers the libs.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is the point of this? Is this some youtube algorithm thing where there is no bad engagement?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pffft it could be blank or just a shell case. Better do a dick pop to prove it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/1265024846347603970?s=09

She's so good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"America is the greatest" says the man in the third photo, sitting in a Japanese car pointing an Italian handgun at his penis.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Kazinsal posted:

"America is the greatest" says the man in the third photo, sitting in a Japanese car pointing an Italian handgun at his penis.

And I guarantee he claims he's Irish or Italian American, even though nobody in his family has been to the home country in 4 generations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a real material difference between this and appendix carry

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

what the gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

Is there a real material difference between this and appendix carry

Your gut doesn’t have a trigger finger but otherwise sure why not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That cat gonna seize the detached tip and run through the house, getting blood everywhere. Go cat, go

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This is fake as hell nobody is sticking their guns on their dicks my god people use your heads

The phony drama/outrage machine just churns along every day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is fake as hell nobody is sticking their guns on their dicks my god people use your heads

Poe's law dude, remember that your government had to tell people not to fire their guns at hurricanes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also good ol' NZ indulging in a bit of "MY BLACK FRIEND"

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...diversity-grows

quote:

New deputy National leader Nikki Kaye described front bench MP Paul Goldsmith as Māori when defending the diversity of the party's new front bench.
But this was news to Goldsmith, who told journalists minutes later that while his family had "Māori connections" but he was not Māori himself.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

OK what is the name for Poe's law but for the endless string of "LOOK you'll never believe what the OTHER SIDE is up to now!" because there are like 20 of them a day and they are all fake as hell and designed to get eyes and stop sharing this nonsense.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Poe's law dude, remember that your government had to tell people not to fire their guns at hurricanes

Plus our government told us it might be worthwhile to inject lysol.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Kazinsal posted:

You forgot the second guy pointing a Belgian gun designed for France sitting in a Japanese car

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

OK what is the name for Poe's law but for the endless string of "LOOK you'll never believe what the OTHER SIDE is up to now!" because there are like 20 of them a day and they are all fake as hell and designed to get eyes and stop sharing this nonsense.

Humanity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Internet Wizard posted:

You forgot the second guy pointing a Belgian gun designed for France sitting in a Japanese car

At least a majority of those countries were on the good side of the War.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Chill out, people's reality detectors are a little out of calibration lately in case you haven't noticed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

Chill out, people's reality detectors are a little out of calibration lately in case you haven't noticed.

Lately? I remember people seriously sharing Landover Baptist Church and Christwire poo poo last decade.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You know, for every 10 dudes doing this gun to the dick challenge with an unloaded weapon, there’s one guy who’s like “nah this gun ain’t gonna go off” and leaves a round chambered.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bloops posted:

You know, for every 10 dudes doing this gun to the dick challenge with an unloaded weapon, there’s one guy who’s like “nah this gun ain’t gonna go off” and leaves a round chambered.

Inshallah

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Platystemon posted:

At least a majority of those countries were on the good side of the War.

Look buddy, I don't know where you're from but in America neither Losers nor Haters are good sides of any war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Plus our government told us it might be worthwhile to inject lysol.

He said to inject the sunshine!